Why did jeph leob make shatterstar gay.

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
#101 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld 'can't wait to someday undo' Shatterstar development

From X-Factor #45

Rob Liefeld isn't happy about the latest plot development involving Shatterstar, the Marvel superhero he introduced 18 years ago.

Last week's X-Factor #45 ended years of speculation, and in-story hints, about the relationship between Shatterstar and Rictor by showing the former X-Force teammates -- both C-list players in the X-Men universe -- reuniting with a kiss.

On his blog, X-Factor writer Peter David assured fans the development "isn't a fake out."

Liefeld, however, wishes otherwise.

"... I have nothing against gays, I have gay family, nuthin' but love here," he wrote on his message board (registration required). "Ditto gay characters if that's what their true origins are.

"As the guy that created, designed and wrote his first dozen appearances, Shatterstar is not gay. Sorry. Can't wait to someday undo this. Seems totally contrived."

Created by Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza, Shatterstar debuted in New Mutants #99 (March 1991) before becoming a fixture of X-Force when the series launched a few months later.

Like Cable before him, Shatterstar was the quintessential early-'90s Marvel -- and Liefeld -- superhero. Wearing shoulder pads and countless pouches and wielding an oversized sword, Shatterstar was a genetically engineered warrior from another dimension. With a flowing rattail.

He initially was depicted as asexual, and struggling to understand human behavior. What he wasn't, Liefeld insists, is gay.

When a forum member pointed out that other writers continued to flesh out the character after Liefeld left Marvel -- some even dropped apparent clues about his sexuality and his relationship with Rictor -- Liefeld responded: "Your opinion doesn't change the fact that it sucks and it's not a positive move in most fans' eyes. And it's all well and fine that you don't respect a creator's wishes or intent. I'm different like that."

Later he added, "Shatterstar is akin to Maximus in Gladiator. He's a warrior, a Spartan, and not a gay one."

#102 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3868 posts) - - Show Bio
@Metatron_Da_Don:
I doubt being a bone-clawed, fuzzy animal man born in the 1800's was Jon Romita's idea when he came up with Wolverine 
actually.......I KNOW it wasn't 
they had NO idea what his backstory was going to be
but that's the thing about creating a character for a publicly viewed liscended property: eventually someone else will get their hands on it and the character will go ina new direction 
it's just as much of a gimmick as anything else 
someone dies, someone has a baby, someone loses their powers, someone comes out of the closet 
.....would you have liked it better if he died or lost his powers??
#103 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio
@Metatron_Da_Don: I remember that news story when it broke.  It's kinda funny, but a little sad that Mr Liefeld only wants the character to be a 2-dimensional muscle-bound fighting machine.  Most creators understand that when they leave a title that the characters become toys for others writers to play with.  
#104 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3868 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
and I apologized for it
because I did not know he was banned 
his page seemed unmarked as to his banned status 
and he had activity in the past day or so 
it's hard to do in text, but I'm sensing a tone there 
....why are you being so negative towards me? 
I've done nothing wrong to anyone in specific 
if you're mad that I ranted at no one, I'm sorry 
but is busting me down a few pegs for it supposed to reclaim the "reasonable and mature" conversation that's been going on? 
I'm sorry, I don't get it 
I'm 30 years old, I'm a public speaker with Human Rigths Council/Equality Maryland activitism groups who publicly talks about issues like this all the time, and I'm a former site moderator myself 
if I was being a negative influence or leading the discussion down a negative path, I'm sorry 
but I don't think you went about correcting me in the right way 
so, once again, I'm sorry to have ranted at no one 
I'll be more careful in the future 
thanks.
Avatar image for metatron_da_don
#105 Edited by Metatron_Da_Don (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

kind of funny he called Shatterstar a Spartan, Spartan's were famously bisexual. 
Maybe it is natural evolution of Shatterstar. He does have a Spartan-type bacground: isolated until maturity to fight as a warrior. Maybe its that Spartan-lifestyle made him gay.

Then again Longshot isn't bi or maybe he is...

#106 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3868 posts) - - Show Bio
@Metatron_Da_Don:
right? 
gay spartans is sort of redundant 
and Longshot isn't gay 
what self respecting gay dude would rock THAT much mullet 
.....although, a gay dude would want to spend a lot of time with Dazzler.....hmmmm....
#107 Edited by jordama (4701 posts) - - Show Bio

Definition of gay  
homosexual: someone who practices homosexuality; having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex  

Definition of bisexual      
sexually attracted to both sexes having an ambiguous sexual identity    

Definitions thanks to google.  

People, What is more annoying than people hating that they made his sexuality known for what ever reason is that people insist that the character is gay, HE IS

BISEXUAL

. They can have him break up with Rictor and date a female and it would still work. It is not like they gave the character a sex change, and Liefeld needs to shut it, he does not own Shatterstar to my knowledge therefore really has no say. A writer can do whatever he or she wants to do with a character.  

On a side note, I hate writing these long responses, I hate reading them and really want to skip them, so please. I would really like to avoid writing an essay. on the other page I had to write one that I'm sure no one read anyway. Yes I know I don't have to write it so don't @ me telling that, buut this is really beginning to urk me
#108 Posted by riri4life (7684 posts) - - Show Bio
@VIZION2010 said:
"Oh wow thats all I gotta say is oh wow !!!! I think that maybe a little too adult for some kids even pre teens, but for some wirde reason I like it lol "

Really that is too adult, but someone like Emma constantly bein butt-ass naked rollin around in the sheets with Scott with all her sexual innuendos is ok? lol
#109 Posted by Sexy Merc (42478 posts) - - Show Bio
@riri4life said:
" @VIZION2010 said:
"Oh wow thats all I gotta say is oh wow !!!! I think that maybe a little too adult for some kids even pre teens, but for some wirde reason I like it lol "
Really that is too adult, but someone like Emma constantly bein butt-ass naked rollin around in the sheets with Scott with all her sexual innuendos is ok? lol "
Someone's angry. You have a good point though.
#110 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7186 posts) - - Show Bio

my only problem with it is since they made him bi he's gotten alot less exposure which sucks since he's a cool character
#111 Posted by DevilmanEX (641 posts) - - Show Bio

......I still like the Liefeld original

#112 Posted by jordama (4701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer:
He didn't really seem exsposed at all before. he made a cameo in civil war x-men but thats about it that i can remeber in recent time. He actually seems more popular now.
#113 Posted by BuddyBulson (453 posts) - - Show Bio
@charlieboy:  i agree with everything you say, i am gay and i tend to not notice if a character is gay or str8, some i do like more then others but not cuz they like girls or boys but cuz i like them. end of story. this person makes me sad for talkin smack on the writer and making himself look stupid
#114 Posted by Warpath Storm (690 posts) - - Show Bio

wow x-forcer is dumb.....i am simply sad about his or her pathetic and simple mind.....anyway....i am happy shatterstar is im glad they didnt let him and rictor's friendship which has been questionable for years (if you have ever read x-force this wouldnt have been a surprise)........ 

i have always loved x-men comics and always loved shatterstar and the whole shatterstar being the poissible son of longshot and dazzler.....when i was younger my brother and i played with action figures all the time and i always had shatterstar, longshot, and dazzler, i dont know why i think its just i cared about family a lot.........anyway i came ot three years ago and i an so happy they recently brought 'star back and have given him depth and emotion....before he was a mindless drone but i mean thats who he was so i didnt hold it against the character im glad he is back and now feels emotion for people and things.....i have a tattoo scheduled next month to get the eight pointed star on my upper bicep in honor of longshot, dazzler, and shatterstar and how i feel a bond to them .
#115 Posted by gothamcity29 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Shatterstar is not gay. He has all these new feelings he never had before. Now he's a sex crazed horndog that will probably sleep with anyone with a pulse. I mean he's with Rictor but he wants an open relationship and Rictor wants a one man type relationship.
#116 Posted by Phoenix XII (158 posts) - - Show Bio
@charlieboy said:
"does anybody else think this thread suffers from raging homophobia? "

@charlieboy:  YES! It reaks of it 
#117 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio
@Phoenix XII said:
" @charlieboy said:
"does anybody else think this thread suffers from raging homophobia? "
@charlieboy:  YES! It reaks of it  "
No it doesn't..  Read the comments & replies, not just the title.  The person who made the thread was banned long ago, but all members have made valid points.
#118 Posted by queenfrost_ (2613 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is this discussion still going in? He's bisexual and there's nothing you guys can do to change it, whethere you're homophobic or not!

#119 Posted by Weapon-Alpha (185 posts) - - Show Bio

i just miss the 90s shatterstar i like the thought of a trenchcoat with dual blades in each sleeve tho haha 
im not sure why but whenever i see shatterstar with rictor its just awkward

#120 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (383 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't know much about shatterstar's history and sexuality, but i don't think it has really been touched on before.  so i would think tha move would be an effort to add some more depth to him, which is a welcome move to me.  i strongly believe alot of tha backlash for this, along with tha times when its happened to other characters, is rooted in bigotry and homophobia.  that only stands when its done with a character whose sexual history hasnt really been explored or is in limbo, but when its a sudden change from what has been established, it has to be done in good taste and very creatively, otherwise its just a spectacle and a cheap gimmick for tha point of sales.

Avatar image for superskrull1985
#121 Posted by superskrull1985 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

shatterstar loooks like a chick come on it was obvious in New Mutants 100 that he likes boys! and Shatterstar is supposedly Asexual, so he isn't gay then. He has no gender or sex technically.

#122 Posted by SC (18217 posts) - - Show Bio

lulz. I wasn't at CV when this thread was in use, I would have had so, so much fun! 

#123 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure you would have.  However, this thread has had it's fair share of controversy, the original poster has long been banned and it still seems to attract nonsensical posts about gender, appearances & sexuality.  It's long over-due to be closed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.