n0va's Severed #1 - Part One: Nothing Wasted review

Avatar image for n0va
    • n0va wrote this review on .
    • n0va has written a total of 4 reviews. The last one was for

Good Story, but Not Scary

This issue opens up with an elderly man and woman watching T.V. when the man's grandson brings him a letter that is from an "old friend." The old man, Jack Garron, begins to recall his past, which is where most of the story takes place. It is divided between the experiences of Jack and another teenage boy. Jack has decided to run away in the hopes of finding his biological father, so they can perform together at the Majestic Theatre in Chicago. The other boy, Fredrick, was taken out of an orphanage by a man (Jack calls him The Nightmare) so Fredrick could get an apprenticeship at General Electric, but near the end of the issue we discover the man's true intentions for the boy are much worse.

The Good

The majority of comics I read are in the superhero genre, so Severed was a refreshing change. The premise of the story is great and I think it will only get better as we learn more about "The Nightmare" and his motives, as well as his relationship with Jack. I enjoyed the old fashion setting and it really adds to the feel this book is going for. The art style/colors suit the story perfectly and is taking the horror approach in the right direction.

The Bad

Nothing was bad about the issue, but there weren't any moments that were really scary or disturbing. If anything, the idea of the storyline is more frightening then what was actually translated onto the pages.

Overall

This first issue is a great foundation for whats to come and has an intriguing and realistic plot. Just don't expect to be scared or grossed-out by the things you'll read and see. Not yet, anyway.