gc8's Serenity review

Avatar image for gc8
  • gc8 wrote this review on .
  • gc8 has written a total of 1420 reviews. The last one was for

Science Fiction Film Done Right By The Series

One of the biggest coups Joss Whedon has ever pulled off, was getting FOX to put up the money for him to make a big budget film of his aborted TV series Firefly before the sets were scrapped and the cast scattered to the winds.

The film was mostly made as a sort of series finale, but it was written in such a way that it could stand alone, even for those who had never seen the TV show. The story concerns a telepath named River who was a secret government weapon and who, along with her surgeon brother, is hiding out with a bunch of outlaws aboard a spaceship. River knows many things the government wants to keep quiet, so they send their most ruthless killer to eliminate River and anyone who stands in his way.

Unlike other science fiction releases to the big screen in the 2000s, such as Avatar (which has grossed more money than we can keep track of), Serenity didn't even make its money back. I guess that’s the price of making a movie that appeals to the brain more than the senses. Multi-award winning science fiction writer Orson Scott Card called it “the best science fiction movie ever made”. While that may be a bit of a stretch, it’s certainly a very good one, and very worth your time.