Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

The Sentry is back.

• 59 results
    Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

The Golden Guardian is back and is about to face Asgard. This is sort of intriguing because the last time that happened, it didn't go well for Asgard. Doctor Strange #382

What do you guys think will happen in the next issue ? Will history repeat itself or not ?

SPOILER: he's gonna warp the Marvel multiverse out of existence.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets hope this is a redemption arc and future writers treat him well....

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
    deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack:

Me too. He needs an ambitious writer that will take time to flesh out his character. Rick Remender was going to do that with a miniseries but Marvel rejected it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack:

Me too. He needs an ambitious writer that will take time to flesh out his character. Rick Remender was going to do that with a miniseries but Marvel rejected it.

i wonder what happened to his death seed?,anyway if there is a good writer (which i doubt due to the current state of marvel) then him write such that he should be interesting and having a consistent power level,now that bendis is gone i think marvel will get better

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack said:
    @king_stranglehold_da_first said:

@mowjack:

i wonder what happened to his death seed?,anyway if there is a good writer (which i doubt due to the current state of marvel) then him write such that he should be interesting and having a consistent power level,now that bendis is gone i think marvel will get better

I too wonder what happened to the Death seed. But remember that Dr Strange was also in Uncanny Avengers.

No Caption Provided

This is my first time reading anything from Cates but from LITTLE we have seen, he SEEMS to treat the Sentry character with respect. Even more so than Rick Remender. I too am glad that Bendis is gone and WONT be touching any characters past mid tier(i.e Spidey, Human Torch, etc) level... I thank Bendis for bringing the character into the main continuity but he screwed up some of the characters mythos.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

@king_stranglehold_da_first: Nice, I hope they somehow reboot the whole mind instability nonsense or whatever and show us his true potential.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@thebestofthebest said:

@king_stranglehold_da_first: Nice, I hope they somehow reboot the whole mind instability or whatever nonsense and show us his true potential.

That would be a terrible idea. Because

1. Its apart of how his powers work and how the creator wanted it to be. He can STILL show his true potential if Bob is mentally stable. And we've seen him BOTH be mentally unstable and stable in comics.

2. It would ruin the character by making him less interesting.

I want him to be differentiated from Superman as possible.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first: Perhaps. But I for once want to see him in like 10 or 15 issues without his doubts/mental blocks holding him back.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@king_stranglehold_da_first: Perhaps. But I for once want to see him in like 10 or 15 issues without his doubts/mental blocks holding him back.

We are seeing it now. But you can read Sentry Vol 2 where we had a very confident and heroic Sentry.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice but they need to clear up what happened to him when he was in space i think thats the arena where his character is needed

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Lvenger

I doubt Cates will touch on Remander's Death Seed Sentry arc. That just muddles the pot of Sentry's already muddied backstory. Also taking the Sentry to Asgard is still the dumbest idea possible and someone as intelligent as Stephen Strange should know that.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yeah, they sort of left us in the dust regarding to what happened to the Death Seed Sentry, it was certainly perplexing but after all I did enjoy reading the arc. However, why do you think taking Bob to Asgard is such an egregious idea ? Is it because of Marvel: Siege or his discombobulated backstory ? Just curious tho :P

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@thebestofthebest: Because of Siege. Sentry was responsible for destroying Asgard and killing Loki so I'm pretty sure the Asgardians are going to attack him and Strange the moment they see Sentry. The only question is whether Sentry will take down anyone notable on Asgard in the process.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Interesting, never read anything from Cates so I might give this a shot.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Ah, fair points. Although I do agree with his muddied backstory, his character is so hard to write due to its perplexity and somehow seems to lack two vital aspects "relatibility" and "verisimilitude", Marvel needs to write him as a more relatable hero rather than... you know the drill, it's just annoying.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

@thekinfing said:

@thebestofthebest: Why is Strange leading Sentry to Asgard?

He couldn't take on Loki all by himself so he went to Asgard asking for their help but they refused thus he was left with no choice but to bring back the Sentry "the only available option", his assistance was required.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said before... Sentry going to Asgard can be a redemption story for the character. Sure, the Asgardians may attack on sight but the Sentry may do something where he earns the Asgardians forgiveness. From what very little we see, Cates seems to be writing Sentry as a CAPABLE hero like during Jenkin's run unlike during Bendis run where he was a childlike mental patient(not all people with mental illness are freaking childlike, I know from first hand experience) that was a threat to everyone that even his wife conspired to kill him TWICE! But I'm not getting my hopes up yet. And with further reading Cates seems to have not read Uncanny Avengers sadly. But we will see...

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Ah, fair points. Although I do agree with his muddied backstory, his character is so hard to write due to its perplexity and somehow seems to lack two vital aspects "relatibility" and "verisimilitude", Marvel needs to write him as a more relatable hero rather than... you know the drill, it's just annoying.

His character is not hard to write. Jenkin led out the blueprints in the first volume. Because in that volume he was relatable i.e someone with mental illness. Its just that certain writers are lazy.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I'm honestly glad that Cates is writing Sentry with respect, as opposed to writers like Bendis. He could possibly reinvent and make the Sentry a truly great, interesting superhero. One comparable to the likes of Hulk, Thor, Superman, etc. That would be a very good thing.

And to be honest, I'm glad they're not acknowledging Death Seed Sentry or Remender's Uncanny Avengers arch. Let it stay that way and swept under the rug, much like all of Remender's work during UA and Axis. Bleh! I didn't care for that arch or his work at all on Avengers.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

To be fair, Asgard's destruction is more of Loki's fault then Sentry's, he shouldn't be really blamed for that.

I'll explain, you see Loki planned all of that, he manipulated Osborn to attack Asgard, and as we know Osborn was messing with Sentry with those fake serums, which made him very unstable and thus gave Void easy advantage to gain control, then we have Loki's death and Asgard's destruction, which Loki also planned, yes Loki planned even HIS OWN DEATH, yeah he wanted to die and be reborn he even made a pact/tricked Hela and erased his name from Book of Death not that much time prior to Siege , so that the stories of past won't chain him again, but that's a story for another time.

To simplify it all, Sentry doesn't need redemption for what he did to Asgard, it was not really his fault, it was Loki's fault, all his plans, machinations and manipulations did it, Sentry was just another chess figure which Loki used by manipulating Osborn, who took advantage of Sentry's unstable mindset.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, Asgard's destruction is more of Loki's fault then Sentry's, he shouldn't be really blamed for that.

I'll explain, you see Loki planned all of that, he manipulated Osborn to attack Asgard, and as we know Osborn was messing with Sentry with those fake serums, which made him very unstable and thus gave Void easy advantage to gain control, then we have Loki's death and Asgard's destruction, which Loki also planned, yes Loki planned even HIS OWN DEATH, yeah he wanted to die and be reborn he even made a pact/tricked Hela and erased his name from Book of Death not that much time prior to Siege , so that the stories of past won't chain him again, but that's a story for another time.

To simplify it all, Sentry doesn't need redemption for what he did to Asgard, it was not really his fault, it was Loki's fault, all his plans, machinations and manipulations did it, Sentry was just another chess figure which Loki used by manipulating Osborn, who took advantage of Sentry's unstable mindset.

Whoa... I seriously did not know this. I just hope Cates does not make Sentry the bad guy with the Void randomly coming out(and then kills him off) or just plan jobbing him out.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#28 vance_astro  Moderator

I'm interested but this art is garbage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_spectrum said:

Whoa... I seriously did not know this. I just hope Cates does not make Sentry the bad guy with the Void randomly coming out ( and then kills him off) or just plan jobbing him out.

why not?,after all the void is a unique personality

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@mowjack:

1. The Void should be gone based off Uncanny Avengers.

2. By the Void being unleashed the Sentry becomes the bad guy again and there is an excuse to kill him off. I don't want that. I had enough of the Void. I want more of the Golden Guardian of Good which we have hardly seen in a while.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

Whoa... I seriously did not know this. I just hope Cates does not make Sentry the bad guy with the Void randomly coming out(and then kills him off) or just plan jobbing him out.

To be fair, I kinda find it funny that people still don't realize that Loki was the main villain of Siege, but anyways when Loki gets reborn some time later he tells Thor everything (the truth) and Thor tries to kill him. Sometimes the villain is someone who pulls the strings and manipulates everyone, Siege was not your basic villain vs team of heroes event types.

As for Sentry, i don't think he will be bad guy, he is TOO stable now, even Dr. Strange said that Robert's mind is fixed, and the way Sentry talks and acts, he is rather rational, as if he didn't have any mind problems.

And even if Void appears it would be more like Sentry vs Void in Sentry V2. Sentry is too stable (which means his mind is strong too) for Void to take control or do any significant action. Even Sentry's hair length is the same as in Sentry V2, as when he was stable.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really feeling the art, but glad to see Sentry back. Hopefully he'll be well written.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@lord_spectrum:

To be fair, I kinda find it funny that people still don't realize that Loki was the main villain of Siege, but anyways when Loki gets reborn some time later he tells Thor everything (the truth) and Thor tries to kill him. Sometimes the villain is someone who pulls the strings and manipulates everyone, Siege was not your basic villain vs team of heroes event types.

I mean Loki did try and help the heros at the end.

As for Sentry, i don't think he will be bad guy, he is TOO stable now, even Dr. Strange said that Robert's mind is fixed, and the way Sentry talks and acts, he is rather rational, as if he didn't have any mind problems.

And even if Void appears it would be more like Sentry vs Void in Sentry V2. Sentry is too stable (which means his mind is strong too) for Void to take control or do any significant action. Even Sentry's hair length is the same as in Sentry V2, as when he was stable.

Lets just hope that this is the case.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

@king_stranglehold_da_first:

I mean Loki did try and help the heros at the end.

He was faking a bit so that he could lure Void to kill him, but he was still trying his best to damage Void it was specifically clear from Siege arc and later by Loki's explanation as well. Also as i mentioned previously Loki himself explained that he planned to die and be reborn anew.

Lets just hope that this is the case.

I think it will be that way.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack said:

@king_stranglehold_da_first: fighting loki is the first thing that comes to my mind,the void could possibly return

I personally don't want the Void to return but I can see that happening.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack said:

@king_stranglehold_da_first: fighting loki is the first thing that comes to my mind,the void could possibly return

I personally don't want the Void to return but I can see that happening.

I want the Void to return, but not yet. I'd rather they really take the time to flesh out who Bob/Sentry is without any fear or influence from Void. Give him some outlandish feats that are all his own power lol. I would wait it out, and then have the Void start to show subtly, like whispers or something, and maybe make him a bit more aggressive.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal:

Yeah I don't want the Void to come back TOO soon but if he does I agree that his character should be fleshed out.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they bang heads with Gladiator, blue marvel, and Hyperion.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they bang heads with Gladiator, blue marvel, and Hyperion.

Would like to see interactions with the new Hyperion.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for sjhdhjsdjhdjkja
    sjhdhjsdjhdjkja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sjhdhjsdjhdjkja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sjhdhjsdjhdjkja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sjhdhjsdjhdjkja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sjhdhjsdjhdjkja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.