Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

Seeing and Understanding Sentry (An In-Depth Power Analogy)

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mercurial256

Welcome to my Sentry in-depth Analysis Preview!

Hopefully you guys enjoy this post as it was quite difficult to write it in terms of putting mind-to-paper. Please enjoy and have fun!

Before I get started, allow me to state why I decided to make this post. We all have favorites and we all have heroes that we...let's say... "don't like". Most of us also like to put these heroes in X character vs. X Character debates. Sadly though, most of the time when I scroll through forum posts about who vs. who, or posts declaring which character would win vs which character - and why/how/etc, they end up turning into the most interesting of arguments. People seem to only assume that by linking the greatest feats or the most mind blowing scans, that their character, (who they are in favor of) wins. Most people ignore background stories, in-depth analysis's, character creation design, purpose analogy, potential vs X scenario, placement issues, etc. There are many variables within each character that can dictate that characters range of power (if any). Simply put, it's trying to look at an in-depth design and hard the reasoning behind a characters purpose, that can prove useful in a comparison fight or...in a simpler way, their overall power. The worst part of it all is when people follow a-b-c logic when comparing multiple characters. For instance, if squirrel girl can defeat thanos, then obviously squirrel girl is more powerful than nearly everyone in marvel right? Superman is technically weak to kryptonite and batman has some. Therefore superman cant beat batman because of it and that means batman is more powerful than superman. THAT is logic that i can't stand and I am sure a lot of you die-hard comic fans agree.. This is where stupidity reigns and fanboyism gets taken to a whole new level of insanity. Point is, this doesn't mean that scans are invalid and untrue - it just means that there is more than meets the eye if you really want to understand what a character is capable of. However, If you want, you can give me me a Sentry vs X character debate (state your conditions), and i will provide you will a legitimate reason concerning the outcomes.

Now I'm sure most of you might hear this concept, but I'm going to take some time to explain it in regards to Sentry. Why? Maybe it will be something that opens your thoughts vs him or maybe you'll consider a different approach towards him. On top of that, Sentry seems to have a really complicated story in terms of power scaling and potential. Most people don't fully understand him or understand his possible potential, so id like to shed some light on those issues. Maybe, through this post, you can see Sentry in new light and get a better understanding of him when mentioning him in future comparisons. This reasoning is a look at not only the analogy of Sentry's abilities, but the reasoning and purpose behind his powers on a level that might seem more comprehensible. In other words, an in-depth analysis of "why" behind the ""how". If you like Sentry then I think you'll get a kick out of this. If you don't like him...hopefully you'll enjoy a nice little read while munching on something sweet. Also, its the Sentry forums. ;)

Since this is essentially, my first legitimate post on here, I'm going to keep it simple and short: If you don't like it, then I'm sorry for wasting your time. Lets get started.

We all know Sentry is quite powerful. Some will say he is the strongest and make some pretty cool assumptions. Now to say definitely if he is the strongest, no. Why? Writers inconsistency of power and popularity of more "praised" characters. I.E. Thor, Hukk, etc.. In other words, characters that seem to grab the spotlight, tend to have more of crowd following and get expanded upon with their powers. More attention to readers when developing favorites are also contributed to that, which in turn, give that character more fans. Writers have the ultimate power as we all know. That can't be argued. However, Sentrys design and concept of power is interesting, and proof of his power is simply obvious through character iteration. Now, I'm not going to throw vs matches between molecule man, hulk, terrax, ares, thor,just to state that x character is greater than x character because of a simple scan. They don't prove a winner when going into an in-depth character analysis but they DO shed light on issues when reflecting on multiple sources of character possibilities and theoretical potential . They really don't bring anything to the table when thrown out there in the midst and without thorough investigation. It is just "he did this" and "he did that". All it does it start simple minded arguments that go nowhere and leads to conclusions of a false winner with false promise. This isn't really a vs match, just a look at capabilities, and the thought process behind the iterations. However, I will include the reasoning behind some of the vs matches since Sentry's power is extremely inconsistent. Hopefully you'll understand it better in the end!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sentrys character was created and shown to essentially be the embodiment of good vs evil along with the stigma of being the most powerful human in the universe. A conjunction of massive power variables tied into one person that essentially has a way of showing his power albeit the void and as "Sentry", even though they are technicality, the same person. To start from a point of understanding and gravity, I'm going take an excerpt from multiple quotes that are simple, yet invigorating for his understanding:

1. "You are the most powerful human in the universe".

2. "My powers come from the sun"

3. "The Serum Creates a phase-shifting effect in the molecules of your body causing each atom to step an instant head of the current time line"

4. "In effect, your powers are limitless. There is nothing you cannot do".

5. "Immortal"

6. "Gods Wrath and Angel of Death"

7. "Biblical Proportions"

These quotes are the ones that need to be referenced since they represent most of his attributes. The most awesome thing about them, is that they all coincide with the "biblical" reference. Essentially, they ALL tie in with a neat little conclusion that, coincidentally, makes sense! Ill try and combine these quotes in the paragraphs below and show you the conjunction between them and how they are displayed. Keep in mind through this whole post, the references of "Biblical Proportions. It's going to weigh in a LOT. Keep in mind again that this post is explaining an in-depth look of the advance connection between roberts powers and abilities, and not just showing what he can do. Lets begin with the human variation:

Keep in mind, that Robert Reynolds is a human being at core....like many heroes so-to-speak. Although gifted with enormous power or should I say the powers bestowed by an enormous serum, he is still human. Robert suffers from mind altering effects continuously. This is seemingly reflected in his portrayal of his lighter "good" side (Sentry) vs his darker persona (the void). While the Sentry or Golden Guardian side is usually shown as the "helping light side", the void counterpart is proclaimed as "Gods Wrath" or the angel of death and of course, the darker side. This post will take in account the gravity of that power in conjunction with character design. This is where it gets fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:Human Iterations:

Lets start with human base again. Human beings are the one race above all else that hold dear the most powerful force in the universe, hope. The Sentry side, or the side that is perceived as light, is essentially, an aspect of hope, yet in a constant battle with the opposing force. That force, is evil (or despair is opposite of hope). Pure evil in a sense. While human beings hold the highest capacity for hope, there is also the evil/sin nature (referencing sin because of biblical levels) of man/creation that, when left unchecked, rampages forever, yet at a cost (more on that later). That force, as well, is extremely powerful and chaotic in itself. What makes Sentry so powerful is that fact that two of the most powerful forces of all; hope and despair (aspects of will you could say), are literally and seemingly embodied into one man (i would call it a curse imo). That one man has the power to unleash the epitome of that power howsoever he chooses. The downside? Human nature itself. Robert Reynolds struggles with the nature of his powers and the fact of controlling them because he is still, at his core, a human being battling the cost of his actions. For him, It is always a mind battle for him which is good vs bad. He essentially has two personas that constantly shift depending on what is going through his mind.

It is said that the void is Roberts true nature and that the sentry is his "fake" identity. The is references since man is inherently evil at their core. The void represents the limitless potential for evil that man has (as well as all evil that stems from it), while the golden guardian represents the hope that all man (and other sentients) have. More on this later. Human beings are more (most) inclined toward an evil nature, but hope will usually outlast that evil. This is why Robert is so indecisive of his powers. The void could/is be Roberts snapping point. However, there is a price to pay with the power that embodies it. You don't know what you would do if you snapped. You don't know how badly you could hurt or even kill someone. You don't know how far you will take that rage or anger and who you would throw it on. More importantly, you don't know how long it would last or if you turned on someone you cared about. THAT, in a sense, is the voids effect for Robert. Its like saying "I'm tired of your sh*t and now I'm mad". It is also a point where Robert has access to more power. For humans, we all have it. Its our alternate persona if any of us are pushed to far. As a human being, we all have our limits, and we all break at some point.

:Gods Wrath and Biblical Iterations Combined:

Now onto the part about Gods Wrath iteration. This is where it may get confusing. The voids power when unleashed is said be Gods wrath, or essentially the angel of death going to work. What that means is that that is a level of power not well explained. Note that "Gods Wrath", is pertaining to [God] himself. Which god? Since the statement is simply put as [Gods Wrath] meaning the wrath of just "God", we can assume it is universally high as in the the god of Marvel (TOAA) since it seems to encompass all. However, this can be contradictory since there is evidence that TOAA is actually different than the biblical Judeo god. More on that later. The wrath of god ability would simply impose, "The End of all Things" or the highest level of "punishment/judgement". If you were to theoretically put this in modern aspects, it would be the Judeo-Christian god. Since biblical terms are referenced in Sentry, the Judeo God in terms of "power" would be above all of existence in terms of scale. Now before you think I've lost it since a character with that much power would be op, let keep explaining. Keep in mind the biblical references, and prepare for your mind to be blown.

No Caption Provided

Sentry is, as I'm sure you understand, deathly afraid of the consequences of that power, simply because of the potential or what the ending result would be. Not only that, he is literally afraid of himself or the power that he holds. I mean really, who wouldn't be? It can destroy everything, and I mean that on a universal scale (even multi/omni). The void holds unbridled death in its wake, and this is why its more believable for Sentry to essentially lose fights......since watching an overpowered character win would be boring as heck. Robert is so scared of what might happen in terms of the destructive aspect, that a portion of his mind that still clings to hope allows him to subdue it, (more evidence to the power of will in man and credit to human race; Think batman if you will) and essentially depower/restrict himself to fall short in a fight. It makes WAY more sense for Sentry to lose a fight than to actually win because of this, and makes match-ups seem a lot more fair. We ALL know that most of our superheroes "hold back" their power because of the consequences of full force. This meaning however, is more crucial to Sentry then most. It is the hope side of Robert that holds back the void and seemingly restricts/limits its power when things get a little too heated up...simply because of consequential reasons on a scale of multiversal proportions. On top of that, this is another reason why Robert cannot "technically" use the full power of the void. His humanity keeps him in check and the end result is death of things. It keeps the balance of his mind at a relative stable point, never tipping too far to the extent where utter annihilation would ensue, even though in it would appear as if they void was 100% in control. It's not. Not yet.

Another note to take into consideration is the power deference between void Robert and sentry Robert. The power of a million exploding suns means nothing. Its hyperbole since the context doesn't really show it off in terms of a fighting comparison. Sentry is in effect, as strong as he needs to be depending on the state of will that his mind is in. What is the theoretically limit of void sentry? There is no limit. This could be done through the writers should it need be or the situation causes it. The power is there, but the context isn't, and I am quite happy with that. Luckily, at the moment, there is no evidence that supports that he will be tempted to go balls to the wall with his power since the human nature in him has held him back. To a lesser extent, you could say that there hasn't been a situation where its "truly" needed, and I hope that one doesn't arise. I would argue that Robert is more afraid/cautious of his powers that any other character simply because of consequential reasons. I also find it interesting to have a character with so much power, yet limited by himself because of the human nature between good and evil, and the strength of will to maintain their humanity, less become the true evil that he struggles against.

To go into a further context of the voids power, consider this. If we are going to use the premise that the voids power is Gods Wrath, and that its considered "biblical" then we need to go back to a simple context of "why". Why does Robert have the power of Gods Wrath? As I have mentioned before, when Robert came into being, it seems evident that he is actually "Cursed/blessed" with this power. It literally seems like a curse. To take it back into modern aspects, and the story of the Judeo God, we have to look at reasons. The Judeo God essentially created "man" in his image. Man was perfect until evil (satan i guess), tempeted man and caused him to violate the rules of creation, thus breaking the rules. After that, man was punished and evil/sin was unleashed and became a "conscious" part of all mans life. In addition, there was now punishment for wrong doing. An eternal punishment. In the simplest terms...there was now a battle between Good vs Evil as i have referenced before. Now, obviously, wtf does that mean or have to do with Sentry? Sentrys mind is the result of a conscious that is born out of the result of a perfect creation, the downfall of that creation, and the very essence of Good vs Evil. You could say that since Sentry contains powers of biblical proportions and that his darker side is depicted as "Gods Wrath", that sentry embodies what evil is personified as, and the power to enact punishment associated with it from the highest point. In short, "The power to end all things". The picture below pretty much sums up the end in a way.

No Caption Provided

:Serum and Biblical iterations:

To get into a greater context in the biblical aspect, lets combine it with the serum quote. "The Serum Creates a phase-shifting effect in the molecules of your body causing each atom to step an instant head of the current time line". The key in this sentence is time-line. Which time-line? Hard to say. Is it the time-line of mankind, or superheroes, or universes or even creation itself? Just because multiverses exist within marvel, doesn't mean each multiverse is on a different time-line. There are many possibilities. Again however, we need to reference the biblical analogy. Sentrys time-line could extent past all time lines. In other words, the molecules in his body exist outside of what is perceived as "existence". An alternate time line outside of time lines within marvels multiverses. To make sense, think of Sentry as a Surpreme Beyonder. His power technically exists outside of the boundaries of what is Marvels Omniverse. Because Sentry contains the power of "Gods Wrath"- [a power and God that doesn't technically exists within Marvel so-to-speak], (and obviously the Judeo God does not exist as a legitimate "character" in Marvels Omniverse) you could say Sentry theoretically has the power, of God. This means, in perspective, unlimited power on an omniversal scale since that is what God has. Another thing to note is that the serum is essentially the introduction to Sentry's story in terms of gaining his power. That being said, how would it be plausible for Sentry to come into existence as a character when the only thing that he did was drink a serum? Like with most characters, this is the beginning story for robert. The serum was essentially a mental plateau, or objectified choice that robert gave into in order to become something more; as human beings tend to associate something greater than themselves or look towards a higher power when things seem down and hope is lost. Think of it as a test of faith for roberts part. Not only was the serum the "choice" that robert made to become something greater and to "try" to change, but it was the opportunity to receive the blessing/curse that the judeo god wanted to bestow upon. On that topic, notice that when robert did gain all of this power, his mental state did NOT change in terms of his human thinking - evidence to the point that human beings still need to work on themselves regardless of the power/status that they gain. It was not a fix to his problems, rather a gateway to explain himself in a different aspect. Interesting right.

No Caption Provided

:Immortality and Limitless Power:

This is why Sentrys powers are limitless - sense technically the Judeo god has limitless/unlimited power. Sentry can, in effect, do anything if he wanted to. Now for the part that his powers come from the sun and that he is immortal, we need to look at why again. First of all, you can't kill God or what god would embody. Even if he was or wasn't an actual character, the idea and hope of god will always exist no matter what. God could even be made up and not exist, yet people will choose to symbolize "hope" in his name, therefore receiving a power source known as hope. The effect that Sentry gets his powers from the sun, could symbolize the light of existence. Light is considered good and represents hope. while dark symbolized evil and despair. You could say that while not being affected or altered by the void, Sentry draws his power from the light of all existence (even represented by his aura), and that the void, as shown, depicts the darkness and despair that consumes everything when all lights are extinguished. On top of this, hope and despair will always be present, no matter the circumstance. Those two forces are always present, and if they can be claimed as a power source, then you are drawing power from an unlimited supply as well.

:Gods Wrath and Potential Limits:

Now the big question. What exactly does the Sentrys powers entail. What can he do? What are his limits? Through all of our conclusions, we can say the Sentry has the power or is the conduit of the Judeo God. As the ultimate conduit of the Judeo God, Sentry has "potentially" limitless power on an impossible scale. The main downside is that Robert is a human being, wielding the power of god from a different plane of existence that is outside of the marvel omniverse so-to-speak, without the actual knowledge that god would have. The god of Marvel is ToAA while the Judeo God exists outside of this multi/ominiverse.....and the evidence and depictions of the differences are valid. Again, Sentry can be see as a beyonder with "access" to limitless power and the ability to "potentially" do all things, yet restricted by his humanity that still interferes with his limitations. The power of God in a mere man that has to deal with the struggle of human nature itself and without the knowledge of what we assume god would have. His only limitation is the restrictions of his own humanity in conjunction with the devastating ability to end all things if he truly wanted to, and the mental battle that seems to constantly shift depending on his emotions and thought process.

No Caption Provided

:What is Happening During The Void Persona:

This analogy is going to explain what exactly Sentrys power are entailing. In other words, what IS Gods Wrath or The Angel of Death. As we see in the comics, the void persona is Robert using or tapping into more of his power. It comes across this way and is demonstrated quite well. There is no difference in the overall power level of Sentry/void, just what Robert is tapping into. The void embodies death and destruction. The darkness and tendrils that are shown essentially represent the "end". It is the culmination of despair, emptiness, death, chaos, punishment, and darkness all in one. You could say in a way that it can actually be the final punishment or judgement of god. A great poster suggested the fact that ghost riders penance stare is the punishment of god. This makes sense because the penance stare is declared "punishment" for sins. While this is true, there are two variations that this could be explained in and actually separated. The first is the fact that the marvel god is different than the judeo god. This is easily shown in the aunt may ----> TOAA analogy. If the two gods were alike, then that credit would go to ghost rider and NOT Robert/Void. The second explanation would ensue that the Judgement or Punishment of God (Gods Wrath), is not only the punishment for sins,but the punishment or judgement of creation. There is no greater verdict in a sense since. In biblical terms, the angel of death is the most powerful verdict. It is unstoppable, incalculable, and unpreventable when fully unleashed. There is no stop to it when summoned or enacted. It is thee "Final Verdict" to all existence. However, this power or scale of the power ties in to how much of it that Robert is willing to unleash. As i am sure you understand, Roberts mental state is the only thing that holds back the full effect. In short, it is "The End". Keep in mind that when the void is being enacted, robert starts to lose the human part of himself. His mind starts to tip in favor of insanity because of the ridiculous amount of energy he is tapping into, and the confusion of NOT knowing exactly how far he is willing to take it as its happening.

:Sentry vs Molecule Man, Ares, Galactus, Terrax, Hulk, etc iterations:

This is actually a very interesting point. As with most characters, depicting on time, their power fluctuates constantly. In one instance they seem to be god-like, while in another, they can barely tangle with a lesser foe. This is where you have to look at design and purpose, rather than comparing single feat scans. For instance, if Robert was knocked out by a hellacarrier, then how can he tangle with galactus or world war hulk, let alone molecule man? That difference in scale is huge. How about seemingly losing a fight with iron man, yet making a fool of ares/terrax? I'm sure you get the point in what I am saying. Different comics will show different scales of power depicting what the character can and seemingly cannot do. Lets take molecule man for instance, and then apply the same principal towards other foes. I will use molecule man since he "technically" has more overall power than most of the foes Robert has fought. How was it that Robert was able to make a fool out of someone who is incredibly powerful, when there are feats of Robert losing to much more "pathetic" scenarios. It really is quite simple. Robert has limitless potential and power as you have read. However, being a human, he doesn't know what he fully can and cannot do with the power he has...especially considering his power comes from a much "larger" and nearly un-explainable. source. He doesn't have the experience with it. He learns as we all do. This is why found out he was able to control the molecules in his world after being subject to this new demonstration of power. It was a new avenue for him. It is not the fact that he couldn't do it, it was the understanding of how he could do it. This can be applied to most "wtf" feats.

No Caption Provided

:How Strong, Durable, Fast, Etc is Sentry?:

While there are scans of Sentry performing some pretty cool feats, none of them in terms of strength, speed, and durability, really rival those of many characters such as thor, hulk, superman, ss, molecule man, etc in terms of a definitive basis. There just isn't enough of the "full facts" to back up Sentrys power....since the inconsistencies are through the roof. Yea its been told that he has the power of 1,000,000 suns, but there is NO instance when that is shown expanded upon to safely say it truly is that amount of power. Sentry can pick up a boat, punch a mountain, fly faster than light, and "tangle" with some of the more prominent heroes. Even facing WW hulk, that doesn't exactly mean robert is at Hulk level or thor level in terms of brute strength. We also can't assume that Sentry is at that level simply because of the plot. The reasoning behind that is because his powers shift so much that it doesn't really become factual in a 1 v 1 fight when coming to the physical power of Robert. There isn't enough evidence to proclaim his physical power on a definitive basis or even a median between two points of range. What we CAN see is that most of his power is tied into a different type of force. This power or energy is mainly tied to what he is theoretically tapping into from being a conduit of the Judeo god. In a way, his strength, speed, and durability is STILL restricted to what level of power he wants to tap into or how far he wishes to access/bring out. This power is tapped into depending on that plot of course, which in turn elevates his strength levels to what is necessary, much like how other characters get their power from X source.....if they have one. Think Jean grey.This power is limitless of course for robert..but his mental limits hold him back as we all know since he is human at core. This has been in a sense, the case for all of roberts abilities and feats. In a plane of physical attributes, not enacting the void, robert can draw in power from multiple sources. The Void counterpart can be seen as an actual attack, since that power is invoking the aspect of Judgement. We could theoretically say that if Robert TRULY wanted to, he could reach into so much power that he could become invulnerable to all things, be omnipotent, and have the physical strength to do..well...anything he wants to without any restrictions on any playing field. He would be God. These are theories of course, but very much plausible.

:Sentry vs X Character Debates and How Strong is Sentry Vs. Them:

This is where things get complicated. Not because of feats or scans, but because of inconsistency in Roberts power as i keep saying. Through our reasoning we can conclude that Robert has access to a power that is greater than...well...mostly anything. However, how and to what extent that he unleashes it, is the problem. Another thing to note is that Sentry, because of his abilities, is entirely random in terms of power when facing enemies as I have mentioned numerous times.. Of course, everything that he can do is tied to his mental state. Against characters like thor, hulk, we have to assume that they are, in a sense, more powerful than sentry because of their plot developments, and past accomplishments. This is because of the MASS difference between hulk/thor/galactus/molecule man/etc scans, and Sentrys scans. They have essentially more "reputable feats" and of course, simply MORE of them, allowing them to be considered above most characters regardless of the plot from a standstill. A big thing to note is that because of the shifting consistencies in Roberts power, we can conclude that he can draw upon what power he wants to face the situation at whatever time is needed. However, Sentry, in terms of an in-depth analogy and backstory that I have explained and the reasoning's behind them, DOES have the ability to exceed any character in Marvel. Now, all this stuff that I have explained, is of course speculation. Period. Speculation in Marvel means that technically, it is INVALID, unless proven in a scan.Does this mean that everything that I have said is invalid? Yes and No. Most of the things that I have iterated upon are theory and of course speculation. However, the reasoning's behind them are quite interesting and can be plausible. In respect to logic, and according to feats, I would put Sentry around medium tier from a STARTING BASE. In accordance with potential to the in-depth analogy I have provided and taken in account, Sentry has the power to beat anyone depending on his will.

Sentry vs the Impossible:

This is where Sentry can essentially become a "joke" character. Since Sentry's power extends outside of reason and beyond the restrictions of marvel characters, he has the ability to break the boundaries and rules of marvels creation. Every character has a design and purpose to their power in marvel. Many of the characters feats are associated with scans or feats, but many of the abilities or scale of abilities are not well recognized. Take Juggernaut for example. Juggernauts stigma and primary fact is that he is invulnerable to physical damage, and cannot be stopped by anything as long as he is in control of his momentum. Hulks Stigma is that he will always "potentially" be the strongest character given the time he spends being in an angry state. All of hulks abilities also scale with his anger. These are stigmas. Stigmas represent the design and philosophy of a character, but most people ignore them sadly. This is also why feats are not just the final verdict when regarding a fact. Think about it; there is a comic where squirrel girl kills thanos. Because of that, some people think that if SQ can kill thanos, and thanos is above many characters in marvel, then SQ > Thanos > whoever is below thanos. That reasoning...kills me. I'm sure you understand the point. Since Sentrys power exists outside of the impossible, then his abilities and powers are also represented as impossible in terms of potential. What I mean is that Sentry is not subjected to the rules and stigmas within marvels rules. This means that if he wanted to, he could stop juggernaut. If he wanted to, he could kill someone who is not able to be killed. If he wanted to, he could pick up thors hammer. He has the power to do the impossible. Pretty much a joke.

If your still confused, let me kinda explain this in a different analogy. Since many of you are familiar with jean and the phoenix, I'll use them.

Since Sentry and the void are technically one-in-the-same, ill just call him Robert to avoid confusing you further. Robert is technically like jean with the phoenix force acting out - using immense amounts of power, and to a point, uncontrollable it seems . When Robert is using more power, his mind essentially become unstable. He needs to be calmed down so to speak. He might do reckless things and use uncontrollable amounts of power without a stable motive or conscious being in effect. In the end, he reverts back and regains control.

Now Death Sentry. I didn't forget! Death Sentry (Robert) can easily be shown as Dark Pheonix. The story represents that a death seed was used to revive Robert. However, since Robert is immortal, I think there is more to the story. The death seed revival seems like an attempt to enact Roberts power in a more not-so-light manor while trying to remove more of his humanity. This also seems like a chance to give Robert the ability to encompass more of his power and trying to make him realize the increasing potential of his abilities without the human side of his mind restricting him. What this means is that his powers are increased and unleashed in a more effective and concentrated manor. On top of that, his motives and conscious are more stable. In effect, more control over the type of power he has with a more stable mental point in his actions. In other words, he knows what he doing..to a much larger extent. Now there is a reference point that is quite noticeable and that is from the quote "There is no void within me". I'm sure many of you that read Sentry remember that. Keep in mind that you CANNOT kill or remove the void. Robert is the Void. Period. This quote is easily referenced that Robert is more accepting and understands more of his power, yet seems to be more influenced by the evil/despair side of his mind that he has. It also seems like Robert is becoming more occupied with his own vision of how he perceives things. Remember he embodies hope as well as despair within him. Sadly, It is almost as if is leaning more towards the "idgaf" side of his mind and that he is starting to lose more of his humanity (the part that represents hope). This, is bad. Without the human side of Robert, the power of evil and the "Gods Wrath" iteration would become far more unstable and prominent since his mind will be forever altered in a more non-concerning type of effect. Death Sentry is represented as...well....death. This is interesting since the void is represented as...well...the angel of death! The upside? ....

Now, onto the WPOTC. White phoenix of the crown was, you could say, Jeans final form. It embodied the 2-became-1 persona in a legit manor. It means that jean has %100 of the Phoenix's power, and that she is in full control. This has NOT been shown to Robert. Robert you could say is in the Dark Phoenix form if we are comparing it to Jeans story. For Robert to essentially achieve WPOTC status, something dramatic would have to ensue. Through ALL of this, it is all tied to Roberts mental state. His mind is the defining factor of his control, his humanity, his power, and his limitations.

I'm sure that you can understand why all of this can cause problems for the story line of Sentry. All this power in a context not well understood.

To tie it all up now. Robert, essentially has "access" to the power, of the Judeo God, yet in a human mans body/mind. Or, you can say that he is "thee" conduit for him.

And yes, this is the short version. Hopefully you understand it a little better. The longer version is more...precise but I don't know how many people would even like this sort of thing. Any questions about something that you may not understand just ask! Ill continue to modify this post to make more sense of things and explain in further detail from my primary one. If you want, you can give me me a Sentry vs X character debate (state your conditions), and i will provide you will a legitimate reason concerning the outcomes.

bnmempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bnmempire
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Had to be done.

CRAZYMADMAN90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CRAZYMADMAN90

Sentry is a joke character

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mercurial256

@crazymadman90 said:

Sentry is a joke character

In a way, I kinda agree with you. What don't you like about him? j/w

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rpgesus
    Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercurial256
    RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RealityWarper

@mercurial256: Excellent article.

The way you develop your ideas is very interesting.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercurial256:

"Through all of our conclusions, we can say the Sentry has the power of the Judeo God. As the ultimate conduit of the Judeo God, Sentry has limitless power on an impossible scale. The main downside is that Robert is a human being, wielding the power of god from a different plane of existence that is outside of the marvel omniverse. The god of Marvel is ToAA while the Judeo God exists outside of this multi/ominiverse. Essentially, Sentry is a beyonder with unlimited power and the ability to do all things, yet restricted by his humanity that comes with it"

No. Too speculative.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@mercurial256:

"Through all of our conclusions, we can say the Sentry has the power of the Judeo God. As the ultimate conduit of the Judeo God, Sentry has limitless power on an impossible scale. The main downside is that Robert is a human being, wielding the power of god from a different plane of existence that is outside of the marvel omniverse. The god of Marvel is ToAA while the Judeo God exists outside of this multi/ominiverse. Essentially, Sentry is a beyonder with unlimited power and the ability to do all things, yet restricted by his humanity that comes with it"

No. Too speculative.

Probably but interesting.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rpgesus

Isn't the judeo god already in the marvel universe?

Isn't he the one who gave Ghost rider his powers and sentry is definitely no where near toaa

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@realitywarper: Je te l'accorde.

Absolutement.

Wait !
    Ce n'est point un mot français ! :)

How are you by the way ?

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper: Winter is finally over in Boston!!

Kids are too much into comics...

:-)

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@realitywarper: Winter is finally over in Boston!!

Kids are too much into comics...

:-)

Winter has come ? :o

Clearly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef
    deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My god. If Sentry and void got along would they just sky rocket in power? Or would it not do anything

CRAZYMADMAN90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sentry is the worst character

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RealityWarper

@bullpr: @mercurial256:

1)

The weak point of this article is that nothing inside it is true.

We know that Bob is a delusional person and that all of those Biblical references comes from his God Complex.

No Caption Provided

2)

The Void himself is just an hallucination when he appears as a separate entity and delusion when Bob thinks that he is the Devil.

They are just symptoms of his mental issues.

Here you have the detailed symptoms of Bob.

3)

The origin of Sentry powers is in the serum that he drank and gave him reality warping powers.

4)

It's Norman Osborn who called The Sentry the Angel Of Death and Norman is actually insane.

Sentry has no connection to God.

He just changed the past in order to look like the Angel Of Death as Moses never demonstrated this kind of power in the Marvel history.

5)

The Judeo-Christian god exist in Marvel and is Yahweh.

He is the Godhead of the Heaven's realm and is probably a Skyfather.

The embodiment of God's wrath is the Ghost Rider.

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mercurial256

@bullpr: @mercurial256:

1)

The weak point of this article is that nothing inside it is true.

We know that Bob is a delusional person and that all of those Biblical references comes from his God Complex.

No Caption Provided

2)

The Void himself is just an hallucination when he appears as a separate entity and delusion when Bob thinks that he is the Devil.

They are just symptoms of his mental issues.

Here you have the detailed symptoms of Bob.

3)

The origin of Sentry powers is in the serum that he drank and gave him reality warping powers.

4)

It's Norman Osborn who called The Sentry the Angel Of Death and Norman is actually insane.

Sentry has no connection to God.

He just changed the past in order to look like the Angel Of Death as Moses never demonstrated this kind of power in the Marvel history.

5)

The Judeo-Christian god exist in Marvel and is Yahweh.

He is the Godhead of the Heaven's realm and is probably a Skyfather.

The embodiment of God's wrath is the Ghost Rider.

I've acknowledged this, but think of it this way. Since we are on relatively the same page, would you consider this:

For your first point, sadly, my entire post is "technically" not true in a sense that if its not deemed done by the scans as a definitive fact, then it doesn't count. I just took into account of what seems to be shown.

The second point it totally true and is reflected in my post so we are pretty much on par in a sense.

The third is also relatively true in a sense of the time-line powers he has access to. I just put it into perspective that where his powers "might" come from in conjunction to how the character is played out.

Fourth, this is the part where stuff can get confusing. I would state that any display of power that emits the level of darkness that the void shows and implies, would be seen as essentially "death". Insanity almost plays no relativity when faced or shown with such a power as anyone could see the same thing. On top of that, through all the implications, Robert actually Is not connected to god in terms of where his mind stands. His power however, is a different story. So, your actually right!

For your last point, I took that into consideration that although he is mentioned, the god of marvel has been deemed as TOAA. This god is far different than the judeo as represented in the spider man and aunt may analogy.

To end it all with the ghost rider power, your right! However, it can be argued that his penance stare has the power of gods wrath within marvel (punishment for sins), not the Judeo God that exists outside of the design and implications that i am trying to reference. Similar, but not quite. Of course, this is all speculation, but its makes a little more sense.

Funny thing is, your basically right in all aspects!

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By primebonnick

Too speculative but theoretically i love it no lie. Very interesting take on the character i like him myself but i can see why people say he is horrible. Look at how marvel use him hell secret wars is a perfect event for him but alas she missed it too, much like how they write him out of most events.

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too speculative but theoretically i love it no lie. Very interesting take on the character i like him myself but i can see why people say he is horrible. Look at how marvel use him hell secret wars is a perfect event for him but alas she missed it too, much like how they write him out of most events.

Appreciate it! I do agree how he is written though.... So many confusing elements and mishaps.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By primebonnick

@primebonnick said:

Appreciate it! I do agree how he is written though.... So many confusing elements and mishaps.

The fact he doesn't have a set origin for his power set shows this. They confuse so many people lol.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry is actually an analogy to the Irish goddess sheela na gigs

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mercurial256

@mercurial256: Excellent article.

The way you develop your ideas is very interesting.

Thanks for that btw, and i can see why you thought i was the other guy btw. Appreciate it!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..interesting article, what an interesting character...different to the norm.

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I can do this with any character, its just that most people get totally lost when it comes to sentry. For me, its easy to do this and i have a lot of fun explaining it out. Thanks for read and interest!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bezza

@

@mercurial256 said:
    @bezza said:

I can do this with any character, its just that most people get totally lost when it comes to sentry. For me, its easy to do this and i have a lot of fun explaining it out. Thanks for read and interest!

Well I must admit I struggle with Sentry, can you explain a bit more what Death Seed Sentry is? I think i've worked out that Void is Sentry's bad side, seems similar to me as Hal Jordan when Parallax took him over (I am a big Green Lantern fan)......

Also, the art in those pictures you posted above is stunning- can you please tell me which stories they came from.

Also is it true that Sentry is supposed to have battled Galactus to a stalemate..?

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mercurial256

@bezza said:

@

@mercurial256 said:
    @bezza said:

Well I must admit I struggle with Sentry, can you explain a bit more what Death Seed Sentry is? I think i've worked out that Void is Sentry's bad side, seems similar to me as Hal Jordan when Parallax took him over (I am a big Green Lantern fan)......

Also, the art in those pictures you posted above is stunning- can you please tell me which stories they came from.

Also is it true that Sentry is supposed to have battled Galactus to a stalemate..?

DS Sentry is supposed to be sentry w/o the mental restrictions that he normally possessed. In theory, you could say that he is free from his own mind in a way. Battling galactus was considered hyperbole because it was only stated by spiderman and not actually shown...and we all know how over-the-top spiderman can be when he talks. As for the scans, im not sure the exact issues, but have a look at This to get a better image.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercurial256:

That's cool, thanks,. great respect thread. Where is Sentry now, btw? He hasn't popped up In Infinity or any recent crossover.....

Marvel should do more with this character...I suppose its too much to ask for him to ever be included in the MCU

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@mercurial256:

That's cool, thanks,. great respect thread. Where is Sentry now, btw? He hasn't popped up In Infinity or any recent crossover.....

Marvel should do more with this character...I suppose its too much to ask for him to ever be included in the MCU

It seems like he is done for...at least for awhile. Hes afk. Probably dead. Most likely too much confusion regarding his standings and placements. Id love a movie..but i just don't think he is popular enough or recognized enough for it.

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump for additions and some further explanations. A re-read might be required to understand some stuff better. I will continue to re-iterate it as I progress to try and make things more understandable.

Karazyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will continue to re-iterate it as I progress to try and make things more understandable.

why would you? none of what you write seems to be true at all.... it's just stuff you assume, because you don't understand the sentry as a concept and as a character..... don't believe me? let me provide you an example

Yea its been told that he has the power of 1,000,000 suns, but there is NO instance when that is shown. .

you want to see proof for the power of one million exploding suns to believe that the sentry has such power, because you don't understand that the sentry is a schizophrenic man and suffers from delusions of grandeur.... that's why he thinks that he has such power..... that's why he thinks he's bigger than god...

the sentry has been explained in great detail in this thread already, which debunks a lot of the stuff you say about the sentry:
    http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f98/t606430.html

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mercurial256

@mezame said:
    @mercurial256 said:

I will continue to re-iterate it as I progress to try and make things more understandable.

why would you? none of what you write seems to be true at all.... it's just stuff you assume, because you don't understand the sentry as a concept and as a character..... don't believe me? let me provide you an example

@mercurial256 said:
    Yea its been told that he has the power of 1,000,000 suns, but there is NO instance when that is shown. .

you want to see proof for the power of one million exploding suns to believe that the sentry has such power, because you don't understand that the sentry is a schizophrenic man and suffers from delusions of grandeur.... that's why he thinks that he has such power..... that's why he thinks he's bigger than god...

the sentry has been explained in great detail in this thread already, which debunks a lot of the stuff you say about the sentry:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f98/t606430.html

The original thought process/title behind this thread was for people to try and understand Sentry in a new light. What I mean by this is for people to understand him as a misguided character with a complicated history in terms of his power and scaling potential and where it could come from. That, and using a more logical approach to his randomized story arcs and use of power through a relateable circumstance. The stuff that I have mentioned in terms of what he has done is essentially taken from Enzeru posts, and expanded on in a different analogy to give a better curve of his power or "plausible" scenarios. This doesn't mean that the in-depth or behind the scenes scaling of the character is invalid, it just opens up new avenues for possibilities. In a way, Enzeru posts and mine are quite similar in almost every aspect, as he shows what he has actually done and gives reasoning behind them. My post, was simply giving the reasoning behind the reasons...if that makes sense.

And no, i don't want proof of a 1,000,000 exploding suns. I don't care about that and most people shouldn't. I don't even care about how much power he thinks he has because of the randomized accomplishments of the character. It doesn't make sense at all. We have all concluded that his power is limited to his mind or mental state. All I did was induce a more plausible scenario behind the already complicated story that entails what he can and cannot do, despite the mass differences power variations.

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would anyone like any questions answered pertaining to Sentry or any Vs. match or pretty much absolutely anything aha? I can answer anything!

hussain323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey guys does the sentry need the serum to get super powers because i know in marvel knights he did but after that i didnt see him take the serum and in dark avengers norman osborn gives him a replica serum and the sentry accepts it quit happily so im a bit confused why would he need the replica serum if he had the serum like we see inmarvel knights and if he doesnt how does he still have his powers

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hussain323: the beginning story for story hence him ingesting the serum to grant him his powers are the plot device to bring the character into action.

Mercurial256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ironically, as time has passed, this character has still been written to be above and beyond nearly all characters in marvel. The sentry is literally the plot device to be as powerful as he needs to be. From when i wrote the first issues of this forum, death seed sentry was the culmination of full understanding and acknowledgment of the power but it seems that has changed back to the original concept of robert, the sentry, and the void.

No matter how you look at it, this character is the definition of absolute power and fills whatever roll he needs to fill. This is one of the few marvel randomized characters that are so powerful, they can fill any plot device and achieve or have powers beyond any understanding.

Avatar image for applekidthethird
    Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercurial256: Nah, it turns out he didn't really need the formula, it's just that he thought he did. It was all related to him being mentally unstable

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.