Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

Could a Sentry Movie work?

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By labarith

Could a Sentry Movie Work?  Basically play up the "Superman 24/7" angle, and show the psychological deterioration of the Sentry.  I don't know if they'd want to get into the whole Void thing, but that's a possibility. 

I suppose a modern Squadron Supreme movie (based off of the new continuity) could do the same thing, but I think they're 2 different stories - the first shows how we ask too much of Superman, the 2nd would show how he created our own problems by lying, inequity, etc. 

I wonder if the film could be done at a reasonable price, too.  With movie technology advancing. I suspect the Cost to tell a Sentry movie is going down. 

If Irredeemable gets made into a movie first, I think that's bad news for Marvel though...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Billy Batson

No. 

BB

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MutenRoshi
    No Caption Provided
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Pizawle

I would rather see an Irredeemable film.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

I'd watch it.

Then again I watched Final Destination 5.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By keith71_98

Strictly comic fans would come out to see it. But would he have enough name recognition with other movie-goers to make money?
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By labarith

Clearly they would have to sell this as the "Bad Superman" movie... now... does that sell?  I don't know. 

Take Flashpoint Citizen Cold - He's the "villain hero".  Sentry is the mentally unstable hero. 

I could almost see them doing a straight out parody/comedy, "Bad superman" - sort of like My Super Ex-Girlfriend but with a name brand character.  However, I think what I was thinking is a more "dark" superman... sort of like Hancock, but with a "oops, the main guy's a baddie" lead. 

Perhaps end w/ the whole "everyone forgets him" plotline, and then get a "Sentry Returns" which makes him even more loony tunes?

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By PikminMania
    @labarith: Squadron Supreme can't work anyway since it was basically the Justice League. That is what made it so great.
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Knowing Marvel, there just isn't anything in it for them by making a Sentry film. He really isn't that well known outside of the comics. If they wanted it to be profitable, then they need to follow these steps closely. 

• Retcon his origins.
    • His hair stays short and his costume looks less DC golden age.
    • Give him an actual arch-nemesis.
    • Give him a rare dual personality disorder.
    • Kill Sentry halfway through the movie.
    I'd see it.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

if it stuck to the original sentry series, yes, but then you shouldn't make a sequel and I don't trust hollywood to make the protagonist a convincing tragic villain.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By progenitorigin

It could absolutely work.  Following the hero, you have him battling The Void, and eventually he comes to the realization that The Void is him and he got his powers by being a junkie looking to get a fix, and in the end decides to leave the past behind and be a true hero.
    Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Keep his hair short, and face clean shaven. 
     Cast Armie Hammer in the lead role. 
    Spend time explaining the nature of The Void and Sentry's seemingly unlimited potential. 
     Find new, mind-blowing ways to show the action. 
    Towards the end, show Sentry starting to gain control over his abilities. 
    Have him make his costume, but with yellow and black only. 
    And finally, have his eyes glow gold, showing that he is indeed becoming something entirely different then just some "Bad Superman".

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Could work if done right.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

I don't think it would because he is so similar to Superman but he isn't at all close to being as well known/popular as he is, which would cause the general public, if they had any interest in the movie to begin with, to not care.

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OldManDuncan

They should cast

No Caption Provided
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Enzeru said:
    I think that a Sentry-movie would be awesome, if they would stick to the Paul Jenkins version of the Sentry, especially his first Volume, where Sentry appears for the first time.
    The whole thing was brilliant. Besides the Miracle Man, I've never seen something as cool, new and great as that introduction into the comics like his origin was. 
    It had many similarities with the Miracle Man, including the Void (Kid Miracleman all grown up? :X), but it was still better and had sharper edges.

The alcohol as the super-soldier-serum, the stressed wife, his phobias. Brilliant.
    Yeah, that movie would work, if they would do the real Sentry any justice.

Agreed with this. I think it'd be a better animated film, but I'd watch it either way. 
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mega_spidey01

it could work, but i would cast bradley cooper in the role due to seeing from limitless movie good movie btw. the could explore the void & the sentry. i thought he was a great character on dark avengers besides, bullseye and norman osborn. 

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By labarith
    @PowerHerc said:

I don't think it would because he is so similar to Superman but he isn't at all close to being as well known/popular as he is, which would cause the general public, if they had any interest in the movie to begin with, to not care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Super_Ex-Girlfriend 
    Apparently made money.  Do it, and ham up the "Evil/Crazy Superman" angle and it might work...
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

@labarith: You have a point; a campy movie like this might work. I loathe the thought of a "campy" or comedic superhero movie about a non-comedic character, however.

It seems to me the reason "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" might have been successful was because it was essentially a chick-flick, with some star-power (Uma Thurman), where the female character is physically superior to and able to dominate her ex-boyfriend which probably appealed to the female audience the movie was abviosly aimed at. I don't think the same would hold true for a "Sentry" movie which wouldn't be aimed toward a female audience.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Yes it would work, you just couldn't have the mindwipe/regaining memory angle. Mostly just focus on the Sentry/Void stuff, and end it with Robert sacrificing his life via mindwipe.

naresh80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By naresh80

I suppose a modern Squadron Supreme movie (based off of the new continuity) could do the same thing, but I think they're 2 different stories - the first shows how we ask too much of Superman, the 2nd would show how he created our own problems by lying, inequity, etc.

Watch this measns war movie online
    Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Skunkstein

@labarith: For me personally yes.. I would see it, but overall no - If you ask the average non-comic book reading guy on the street 98% dont know who Sentry is..

But on another level, you can basicly make a succesful movie about everything, but they will need some serious funding, and i just dont see that happening for a general disliked and unknown hero.

Lets just wait for the next Superman movie instead.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By majestic99

Yes. Anything is possible.

Dark_Sentry00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dark_Sentry00

@sesquipedalophobe: Sentry cant be killed

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dark_Sentry00: The proof is in the pudding. And pudding hasn't been stocked in ages.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By InnerVenom123

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Yes it would work, you just couldn't have the mindwipe/regaining memory angle. Mostly just focus on the Sentry/Void stuff, and end it with Robert sacrificing his life via mindwipe.
    Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
    RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#28  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

Once the movie rights to Spider-man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four revert back to Marvel Studios I would love to see a New Avengers movie that combined aspects of the original Sentry mini-series with the Sentry arc in New Avengers volume 1. Of course, the Sentry is one of my favorite characters of all time, so I'm definitely biased, but with Spider-Man and Wolverine in the film I'm sure it would draw an audience, and then all those movie-goers would gain exposure to such an awesome character.

sommyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sommyt

@Billy Batson: this

Morphtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morphtek

Yeah it should work well if you explain deep the character's psychology and such. Also you'll need to make the film about Jenkin's Sentry, cus Bendis Sentry 1) Sucks 2) he is too inconsistent.

The sentry is rich in every aspect. He's not like a god or a genius or a well trained assasin or a mutant that were born with powers. He was a human with the desire to become a super-hero then he took the serum to get high and bla bla bla. But what is really interesting is the fact that he faces this duality, like a normal human does, but in addition if he somehow fails this being named void comes out and wrecks the things around him

As i said above, here we have a real super hero with mental problems, moral problems. Not just the typical hero that goes out and punches and light out.

Check this facebook link https://www.facebook.com/TheSentryFilm/posts/505962046117998?notif_t=like

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are three big problems with making a Sentry movie.

1. People would think it's a rip off of Man of Steel

2. Sentry is literally the only Superhero that can be listed as "invincible"

3. And this is a big one, The Sentry has no villains. He kinda is a villan.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herokiller12344: said There are three big problems with making a Sentry movie.

1. People would think it's a rip off of Man of Steel

2. Sentry is literally the only Superhero that can be listed as "invincible"

3. And this is a big one, The Sentry has no villains. He kinda is a villan.

This. Although 2 and 3 contradict since invincible heroes are kinda boring. No real challenge. Honestly I was afraid they were going to make him the superman of marvel and every other heroe would be worthless compared to him. I wouldn't see it. The most powerful telepath. The most powerful molecule manipulator. The strongest there is. And as far as we know unharmable physically. To give credit the split personality is crazy good writing( get it?) so that he would have going for him.

Philip333ify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Philip333ify

Yes it will work but the origin and situation of The Sentry must be changed..Let's say The Sentry isn't mad and there is no Void but he has been given his awesome powers from a powerful cosmic Entity (The Living Tribunal )

Robert Reynolds can be a simple policeman who stands for justice , so much so that the Living Tribunal lets him become Earth's most powerful Judge.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

yes.

marvel knows what they're doing. be confident.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Eh, maybe.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By w0nd

@childoftheatom: there are no other characters that are invincible?

anyways if they made it like fight club it would have, for that shocker ending, but we already know what the deal is with him so sadly that's a waste

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have to be R rated and separated from the rest of the MCU

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

Marvelsqman4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought of ideas for like a 3 movie series for the sentry. Here’s what I would do in overall story arc of the movies.

First off don’t start off introducing him when he first becomes sentry. Second, sentry needs a major power loss. Bring him to a midrange of Thor and ironman. Put all of that in flashbacks when he’s remembering being the sentry. Make the first movie of him trying to figure out how to stop the void. (Movies don’t have to follow comic book continuity and for a character like this I feel it’s warranted. Make the first movie kind of a low action scene more of a philosophical movie. Like I mean put a few battles between him and the void in the movie but I would prefer most conflict he internally and trying to fit in this world.

The second movie would be introducing some mutant who life was effected by the void. Make him find out of connection between sentry and void. This way the movie will still have moral and philisophical levels in it. But make it that the mutant has been watching Robert Reynolds for a while and make his powers similar to sentry but maybe a more reasonable explanation for how he got his powers for both characters. Like male mutant (demigod) or something. Have the movie be of sentry being chased because he’s trying to keep the void from letting out. ( of battles mutant will weaken him to where void can take over). Let this be bob and someone else trying to escape or hide but make it a see both sides and agree with both sides situation.

3rd movie I feel would be great for separating the sentry and the void in the movie like separate them so the are no longer linked type situation ( void mind goes to mutant from movie 2 or something). And have it be a sentry knows he has to get the void under control as he will wreck the cities and shit. Have it be an ultimate sacrifice where he does what Jeff lemiere new series where he’s using pocket dimension machine given by doctor strange.

Notes: I feel as if during all of the villain and philisophical mind battles. You should due a good job of Robert Reynolds being a guy who wants to do the right thing but is insane kind of like guy from the movie (split). Like make it something to where we feel for him but at same time you’re thinking maybe it is best to put him away. Show conflict between sentry and other heroes. Robert and his wife. I feel that making the sentry feel like a person just as much as Robert is a must. Sentry should be a Superman esk personallity but with a more watchmen type darkness to it.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Na Sentry shit

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
    lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sentry ..maybe but they are going to Nerf the living shit outta this dude...not really a fan of the character tho to me he is very boring

LukaDoncicmvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, u need talent to write Sentry well. We've seen how well Dark Phoenix worked out.

I'd like to see Void have fun Captain Marvel tho'.

diydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could work but the hardest sell would be that Sentry is unkillable. You'd have to really put emphasis on when Sentry loses control; Void comes out and the struggle to be a hero without letting Void loose.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.