Follow

Secret Wars

Story arc »

The Marvel Universe will change forever. When universes collide, they must fight each other to the death.

Marvel Clarifies a Few Things When it Comes to SECRET WARS

• 94 results
    Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
    Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@synack1138: Totally agree!! I'm more confused about what is going to happen to Marvel than what is happening to DC...

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
    Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait up, "Marvel Clarifies"? Does that mean that they're confused too? Either way, Marvel you are ridiculous! Looks like Image is going to get all my money now.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm not so much confused as indifferent and just sort of wishing the mu would end and get it over with. Since marvel and DC both seem to writing the same universe ending events and reboots there's not much variety out there for a comic book fan and due to the fact that they are basically writing the same sort of story not a lot of originality from the big two. At least the indy titles are still going.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What they need to make is a giant color coated table with every series showing they're release schedule over the next few months detailing whether it is limited or ongoing

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This actually clarifies things, now I´m less confused :)

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I think I'm starting to get this. Marvel is seeing that how they did this isn't really working out the way they wanted. I believe this to be the funniest thing possible considering DC has the leg up on this given that all of their titles are stopping at the same numerical number (the ones that started at the beginning of the New 52 at least). DC has everything coming to a close at issue #40, and has two months of Convergence titles. That really gives the publisher two months to set up what's to come, though I'm sure they have a good idea. Also, between the two we're really seeing who has the more experience setting up a company wide reboot/continuity changing event, though I guess DC has to keep things in order since they're moving cross country, IIRC.

On the other hand Marvel doesn't have all of it's comics moving at the same pace, I mean especially with people like Bendis not really writing with the future in mind (see the Uncanny X-men #31 cover and All-New X-Men coming out out-of-order). On top of this I'm sure Marvel hasn't been the best about keeping this organized, I mean when you look at Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers, yeah, things are great, but you wonder how much of what he's been doing has been filler. I can just see Marvel going, "yeah, that sounds great, but we have this Original Sin thing cooking, and ooh, Axis could be good, and why not put that Spider-Man event before we change everything, and on top of that why not just spit out a crap ton of new #1's to bring in some new readers?" Okay, admittedly I'm having a ton of fun with a lot of these new titles, but it seems like Marvel could have easily kept some of their newer titles in the wings then brought them out post Secret Wars. On top of that I know no one likes to rush creative teams, but it would have been good to say, "hey, we need you guys wrapping up by this date so we can get this stuff on the move." I get what you're doing with the banners; Last Days are titles that need to finish up, and I'm sure that list isn't 100% of the list that falls under that category, Battleworld series are those that just show what's happen on battleworld, got it, and Warzones will probably show which characters aren't going to make it through Secret Wars and which are (i.e. if we see someone like Jean Grey survive a Warzone series expect to see her in the new continuity). I get all this, I just wish everything was a bit more clean and organized since out of the big two, I'm actually going to buy into some of the books coming out of this event (I don't have any ties to the pre-New 52 continuity, so I'm not super excited for Convergence). I guess, the biggest problem with all the information they're trying to give us is that Marvel is being so secretive about post-Secret Wars. I mean, half of the list that we have above are books we knew would end and ones we speculated were being brought to a close (i.e. Iron Fist's book is one long story arc that I've been pretty sure was ending and we've known Bendis was hopping off the X-books at some point). With all this feeling so rushed together, I might have been more excited if they just said "Stuff is happening, here's a list of some things," and just gave us a list of what's ending and what we should look forward to from the start, then explain the different Secret Wars banners at a later day, "those ending titles we told you about, well we're giving them some special last issues, if you want to know what's happening on Battleworld read these, if you want to see what we have planned post this event read these." Just straight forward explanations.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warzones will set up the future of the Marvel Universe? YES! 1872! Old Man Logan! Worried about Renew Your Vows, though... but if this means that'll stay and Spidey will be married again, I'd be very happy. But it's Dan Slott, so, I don't know, man...

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Is this event confusing for people because it is not a straight up reboot?

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

Marvel says it's not a reboot, but I'm still not convinced...

The basic idea is this...

The universes are ending and being kind of merged together, but characters and histories are not. The histories of the characters will still be canon, only the universe around them is changing. So, 616 Spidey survives (as an example), that means he remembers Spider Island, Kraven's Last Hunt, etc... but may also be swinging around an all new NYC with Miles Morales in the new setting.

This pretty much explains it.

I get it. I'm just not sure I believe it. Blowing up two worlds is alot of trouble to go to just to bring Miles into the main universe...

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saucygiraffe said:

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

The universes are ending and being kind of merged together, but characters and histories are not. The histories of the characters will still be canon, only the universe around them is changing. So, 616 Spidey survives (as an example), that means he remembers Spider Island, Kraven's Last Hunt, etc... but may also be swinging around an all new NYC with Miles Morales in the new setting.

I get it. I'm just not sure I believe it. Blowing up two worlds is alot of trouble to go to just to bring Miles into the main universe...

I believe that something like that (if that does even happen, but I suspect it will), is more an added bonus. It seems like to me that they're basically trying to do what Crisis did for DC back in the 80s, and streamline the setting. Prune off the alternate timelines, different realities, etc... and build one cohesive 'verse. Of course, that's just my theory.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

wtf is the point of all these books ending if some just started? Like some books are on the 2nd issue...

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

This is what I'm hoping for. When this all started I was afraid that this was going to be Marvel's New 52.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

This is what I'm hoping for. When this all started I was afraid that this was going to be Marvel's New 52.

Oh, lord no. I hope not. lol If you believe what various Marvel writers have said in interviews, this is something they've been planning for the past few years, and aren't just springing on everyone, like what DC did.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By GalacticFork
    @meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

That's kinda the impression I've been getting, but the logistics of it make it stupid... How will ordinary civilians take this? And global infrastructure? Will there be a big time skip after to give people time to get back to business as usual?

@jayc1324 said:

So Thor is ending before secret wars when it just started? Are some of these books continuing after secret wars or what? Is there a list for that?

Yeah, i was wondering about that too, I figure the big names will continue after in the new merged world... At least I hope so, I don't think they'd just stop the whole realm war\asgardian schism thingie that's just now starting. The current story looks like it's ending after the Destroyer battle is resolved and her identity is revealed. But there's still everything else going on. I know both of them are in tons of Secret Wars books and the main story, so I guess they'll be just postpone all that until they get back. Asgardia and the Realms (minus Midgard) should be mainly intact (I hope).

The one I'm most worried about is Black Widow. It's so brilliant but it's not selling super well. I'm also worried about Ms Marvel. I have no doubt it's going to come back, but so much of her story is her family in american culture and also nerd/pop culture in general... I mean, her first villain's whole gripe was about "kids today with their cell phones, not contributing to society!" So I don't how an amorphously described merged world is going to affect... everything that makes her story entertaining!

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

@saucygiraffe said:

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

I believe that something like that (if that does even happen, but I suspect it will), is more an added bonus. It seems like to me that they're basically trying to do what Crisis did for DC back in the 80s, and streamline the setting. Prune off the alternate timelines, different realities, etc... and build one cohesive 'verse. Of course, that's just my theory.

You're probably right, but why destroy the 616 (the only REAL Marvel Universe)? Just kill off the rest of them, bring over who you want, and add them to the 616. Maybe it's all the conspiracy theories, but this is one of those times I'll believe it after I've seen it...

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this whole Secret Wars event might back fire for Marvel. People are already extremely tired of events and now Marvel has decided to put the majority of their regular series on hold(cancelled?) whilst this event goes on.

Marvel are really giving people a perfect time to jump ship. Currently the only books I pick up from Marvel are Daredevil, Amazing X-Men, All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. Whilst these books are on hold it is likely that I might try some other books from other publishers and by the time(and if) Marvel starts publishing these books again it could be that I wont have room on my pull list as I have found some books that I really enjoy. I think this scenario could be quite common with some readers.

Koop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just wondering if my current ongoing books will still be going on during Secret Wars. I hope not, because I want to be able to get the Secret Wars books and maybe a few tie-ins without exceeding my budget. I just started reading comics about a year or so a go and this can be really intimidating. Let's hope Marvel doesn't have me running to DC in fear.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Zarius

@bl00dwerk said:

You're probably right, but why destroy the 616 (the only REAL Marvel Universe)?

I'll stop you right there. I certainly don't consider 616 the "real" Marvel universe in the slightest, especially with nonsense like the sliding time scales, outright character assassinations, OMD and canon revision mucking up the waters.

That said, one Marvel writer recently came out and said "any universe you care about is the real one", so maybe it does'nt really matter, the "real" universe is whatever fits Marvel's moods.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sasquatch888

I feel like this secret wars thing will be fun but the aftermath will just piss people off ....if youre the number 1 publisher in comics why destroy what you have ......lets see what happens though...ill tell you one thing I've been collecting comics for 35 years and im real confused about what this is ,,,and as a lifelong comic fan reading new avengers and seeing hickman totally rip off the concept of crisis on infinite earths is weak by marvel ...yes the writing is good but its like they are combining the original crisis from 1985 and the original secret wars's battle world patchwork planet concept ...the difference is DC didn't have to create a bunch of new worlds to kill off analogues of famous heroes DC just killed already established worlds ...SW looks cool...but its not original or at least it doesn't seem original to me ...only time will tell ...it might just go back to what it was before secret wars ..it might be a big fake out or not .,,,it seems really unorganized ...I think that the marvel comics will end up more in line with the movies ...dead charecters will be alive and will be younger like professer x and magneto ,,,the fantastic four will resemble fox's ff with a black johnny storm ,,,,the avengers will be more in line with the movie avengers and we will have a new infinity crisis brewing just in time for the infinity war movies also both spideys will exist in one world and that will also be more inline with movie plans ....just my opinion... I know that most people are thinking marvel is distancing itself from the fox characters but I'm not sure ,, but its interesting how not one battleworld element is fantastic four-centric though being that the ff is the beginning of the marvel U... if they are distancing themselves they are doing fans a disservice ...it seems petty and no matter what marvel does the inhumans will never be the mutants ......just the fact that the inhumans are royalty makes then less relatable and the nu-human thing is cool but they all got their powers through one event as a opposed to the mutant gene which activates at puberty and is a constant occurrence and also the anti mutant elements mirroring real life racism was always a great element x-men books had ...the inhumans situation feels forced and a very sudden change of status quo ...it never resonated like the x-men ...sorry marvel even killing professer x and wolverine wont even the odds for the inhumans ,,,and being that black bolt doesn't talk ...he'll never be a fan favorite ...Sorry marvel ...stop the bullsh....

Avatar image for deactivated-61386a4d71dfc
    deactivated-61386a4d71dfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This boils down to corporate beauracracy at its worst. I guarantee you Disney was like, "Why do the movies make billions but the comics dont? I know! Make the comics more like the movies." Thats why they keep highlighting the ultimate universe specifically because it most matches the films. Adding 'nick fury jr' to match the movies nick fury was just the start. The comics are going to end up being filler for the films. We'll see books like, 'Avengers 2.5' or 'Ant-Man: The Hank Pym Prequel Adventures' and thats it. Movies, TV, comics, all one shared universe. Meanwhile hundreds of beloved characters will disappear until some exec decides to debut them in a way that benefits all 3, which means it could be years before we see some characters again. This is gonna be brutal.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73 the_stegman  Moderator

@jbreen: People aren't tired of events. Sure, the occasional Internet fan might whine about event fatigue, but every time. EVERY TIME. Marvel does an event, it's the highest selling comic for the month, this will be no different.

And with all the number ones, that will only make them more money, as people eat them up too.

Avatar image for deactivated-61386a4d71dfc
    deactivated-61386a4d71dfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@daymareprime: its not so solid if your core readership stops buying out of pure disgust. The movie universe is only a taste of what the comics can do in story, reach, and scope. if the comics just end up matching the tone of the movies, its an eventual slope to blandness because the movies no longer have the wild, out there, risk taking, comics to refer to. Imagine if nothing can happen to thor in the comic because itll effect thor in the movie cuz their now streamlined together like the tv shows are. That would make for an incredibly boring comic because thor cant do anything of essense. Its handcuffing the comic writers to the films. Its like we made a deal with the devil. Disney gives us a huge film slate, but we didnt realize it would cost us the comics.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#75  Edited By cmaprice

I dislike rewriting continuity, which they will inevitably do when creating this "new" MU. You can change the trajectory of characters without going New 52 or a larger scale One More Day on them. Retconning and erasing history is as lazy as it is insulting.

Only way I'd support this is if the characters all remember how things used to be, but just had the reality around them change.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Bl00dwerK

@zarius said:

@bl00dwerk said:

I'll stop you right there. I certainly don't consider 616 the "real" Marvel universe in the slightest, especially with nonsense like the sliding time scales, outright character assassinations, OMD and canon revision mucking up the waters.

That said, one Marvel writer recently came out and said "any universe you care about is the real one", so maybe it does'nt really matter, the "real" universe is whatever fits Marvel's moods.

Yet it is. It's the one Marvel fans have been following for decades, unless I missed something. The 1610, and whatever else, were side projects...

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By scavengerFist

@lcazt1996 said:

Bendis is leaving the X-books.

YES!

Edit: Now take him off GotG too!

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@bl00dwerk said:

Everyone definitely has a different favorite setting in the MU. Me? Ultimate and 2099 stuff. I love the gritty militaristic outlook of the Ultimate titles and the cyberpunk heroics of 2099. I hate to see both of them go, but I can't wait to see what comes next.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79  Edited By Stahlflamme

So the way I understood this. Before secret wars starts most current comic runs will conclude. Those that do not conclude will continue under the name last days during secret wars, but happen before secret wars in the timeline.

During secret wars there will be battle world titles which conclude before the end of secret wars.

And after secret wars there will be new titles with new number 1 issues about the characters from before secret wars in the post secret wars universe. Some of these will probably be the continuation of pre-secret wars comics others will probably be about characters from the battleworld titles that also exist in the new universe.

Doesn't seem that confusing.

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
    Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirdaveysockrocker: Exactly! This whole thing has Disney's fingerprints over it. I agree that they want to share the cinematic universe with the comic uni but they also want new money and new younger customers! What "Really Pisses Me Off To No End!!" is that Disney/Marvel is not being considerate to fans who have been around for a long time.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Huh

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jbreen

@the_stegman:

I think it's more than the occasional Internet fan that complains. Whenever an event is announced I always see so many people vent their frustration on forums, through various social media outlets and at my LCS.

Marvels events seem to be slipping in the charts, yes they are in the top ten but not the best selling. I think a lot of people buy the events out of habit because they feel they have to keep incase it affects their normal ongoing books. I think this Secret Wars Event can really give people an easy out of Marvel if they are at the end of their rope.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pissed they're "concludeing" a few of my titles... all im seeing is a reboot here. If things are on pause thats fine but it's looking less and less like that now.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

At least Daredevil is still being published....hopefully....

Really its cool. My local comic shop just got all these good condition Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, and Superboy comics. I've been throwing my money at those comics more than the new ones. Daredevil is the only one still worthy of my dough.

Zwm210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Why not Spider-Gwen or Howard the Duck?

bdelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbreen: Or, people who may be put off by the same old stories and material pushed by Marvel, may find new stories and a new universe interesting such as "1602" and "Where Monsters Dwell".

Although, Valiant and Image are doing some great comics at the mo!

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By magnetic_eye
    @saucygiraffe said:

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

So, basically we're going to have 3 individual series going on, LAST DAYS, BATTLEWORLD and WARZONES under the moniker of SECRET WARS followed by the all new Marvel universe???

Looks like a reboot to me.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saucygiraffe said:

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

So, basically we're going to have 3 individual series going on, LAST DAYS, BATTLEWORLD and WARZONES under the moniker of SECRET WARS followed by the all new Marvel universe???

Looks like a reboot to me.

It basically is, but only for the setting. It is kind of a n odd way to go about it, but I really do like the fact that we're not losing the stories and only the world is getting a reboot, not the characters.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speak for yourself, there's some stories I'd love to see the back of

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lcazt1996 said:

YES!

hes staying on GotG and hes going to do old man logan

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@scavengerfist said:

@lcazt1996 said:

YES!

hes staying on GotG and hes going to do old man logan

Waaaaaaargh.... Why they can't left the GotG to good old man Dan Abnett, eh? He is, well, brilliant, and Bendis... meh.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Tyger

@sirdaveysockrocker: Exactly! This whole thing has Disney's fingerprints over it. I agree that they want to share the cinematic universe with the comic uni but they also want new money and new younger customers! What "Really Pisses Me Off To No End!!" is that Disney/Marvel is not being considerate to fans who have been around for a long time.

It's a good thing there was no internet when WB bought DC, isn't it?

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bdelve: That could happen as well.

As you mentioned other publishers are putting out some great stories. Secret Wars is risky for Marvel so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out for them.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Valiant. You're welcome.

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I genuinely don't believe that any Marvel reader wants 616 to end, I'd personally rather there best just 616 than have aspects of lesser realities merged with it. I'm not surprised it's ending though, Marvel decides to create a war of survival between realities at a time when some of the major players in 616 are not at their best (Cap and Hercules have been depowered, Thor is without Mjolnir, Wolverine, Professor X and Nova Prime (Rider) are dead etc.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.