zack_freeman's Secret Six #30 - Suicide Roulette, Part One of Two: Like a Star on the Horizon review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Secret Six #30

When a slacker inherits a criminal mastermind's empire, his first move is to hire the Secret Six for a job targeting the Doom Patrol.

The Good

I'll tip my hat to Simone for making moral ambiguity so outrageously fun in this series. The Secret Sixes were at eachother's throats only a couple issues ago and, now that they're working together, I don't know whether to root for them or my cult favorites, the Doom Patrol. It's tough act to balance a cast this big, yet she gives all 18 or so capes in this issue very distinct voices.

The Bad

Even as far as supervillain origins go, it still feels like too much of a leap for young master Eric to go from a compulsively-gaming layabout to a ratpack-obsessed super-criminal in a matter of two weeks. Also, I have to say I was a little confused about the gag where Elasti-Girl's leg got chomped off - - wouldn't she be shrieking in pain?

The Verdict - 4.5/5

It's an absolutely brilliant move to tie Bane's oddly chivalrous approach to dating into the outrageously-misogynistic scheme this young lord is putting together. I get the sense that this is borne out of some real objections to the chauvinistic lifestyle celebrated by Mad Men and its fans, and I'm just tickled to see how it'll play out in this already-fun crossover with Doom Patrol.

Other reviews for Secret Six #30 - Suicide Roulette, Part One of Two: Like a Star on the Horizon

An Absolute Riot... 0

I've been wanting to jump onto the Secret Six train for some time.  I know all about the wonderful writing of Gail Simone, and for all the villain-centric books that both DC and Marvel, this is the title that people consistently laud as a must-read.   Unfortunately, the book's popularity means that my comic shoppe is almost always running out of back-issues of Secret Six, leaving me searching for a decent point to jump on.  With Secret Six #30, I decided the start of a new story-arc was good eno...

A Good Issue of Secret Six And A Good Issue of Doom Patrol 0

Secret Six gets off to a strong start on its crossover with Doom Patrol as Gail Simone unsurprisingly captures the voices of the quirky guest team as well as her own quirky team.  Bringing these two teams into conflict is the rise of an appropriately bizarre new villain. At first glance, the sudden rise of this young new gangster seems far-fetched, but stripped of all his distracting eccentricities, he is really just a punk who has had all his villainous resources gift-wrapped and dropped in his...