gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Ales Kot has been doing some interesting things in this title. We saw at the end of the previous volume that M.O.D.O.K. decided to leave A.I.M., share secrets with S.H.I.E.L.D., and even work for them. With each appearance in this series, we've been seeing there just might be more to M.O.D.O.K. than we thought. Obviously he's not someone you can trust. In this issue we discover that Maria Hill is fully aware he cannot be trusted despite playing a big role in allowing him to get in closer with S.H.I.E.L.D.

Kot gives us a lot of answers here. We see various flashbacks leading up to M.O.D.O.K.'s arrival and some that explain recent events in this series. There's something fascinating about M.O.D.O.K. and Kot adds to his character. You might see what's coming up on the last page but that doesn't prepare you when you actually see what M.O.D.O.K. has to say.

Along the way, we see some creepy things concerning M.O.D.O.K. Michael Walsh continues to do a stellar job on this series. As for creepy M.O.D.O.K., seeing him sitting on a beach, drinking a glass of wine is just disturbing. Kot captures each moment nicely, showing different sides to M.O.D.O.K. Walsh excels at giving us subtle signs of emotion on the characters' faces. Even scenes of a simple conversation between Hill and Spider-Woman or M.O.D.O.K. and Snapper, his assistant are intriguing and don't have a flat static feel we sometimes get in comics.

And you have to absolutely love that Tradd Moore cover.

The Bad

We are getting some answers but this issue's focus on M.O.D.O.K. and Hill gives the series a slightly separated feel from the rest. We still haven't had a full update on Nick Fury Jr after his attack (there is one mention). The same goes for Black Widow. Just a mention over her disappearance and possible "death." Last issue had a lot of Hawkeye (and Deadpool) but there's no sign of them here. We also don't get any updates on Coulson either. This is one of the downfalls of team books, especially when there's a smaller core cast. It feels like we're left hanging wondering what else is going on.

The Verdict

SECRET AVENGERS continues to operate on the outskirts of the Marvel Universe. Ales Kot is cooking up some strange and fascinating plot threads. Having an issue with a big focus on M.O.D.O.K. is simply amazing. He is often portrayed as more of a novelty when it comes to his appearances but Kot is fleshing him out in bizarre and wonderful ways. Michael Walsh's is art captures the vibe Kot is setting up. You can feel the secrecy going on and it's always a treat to see how he lays each scene out. There is a slight disjointed feel as we don't see the other main characters from this book but the abundance of M.O.D.O.K. makes up for it. You just might not look at M.O.D.O.K. the same way after this. This is my favorite AVENGERS title. I can't get enough of it.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

One of my favourite Marvel books.

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5-star cover tho :P

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last page was priceless

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Suddenly have the urge to spend more money on comic books...

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Definitely dropping the book after this one. I have been contemplating it for a while because I haven't enjoyed Kot's humor in the slightest and now the story has lost all interest to me and I don't enjoy the art.

Definitely hope Kot writes Winter Soldier better than he is Secret Avengers. At least the previews seem better and closer to Zero than this.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dondave said:

The last page was priceless

Yes, it was. I figured out what was up a couple pages before the last one. I cracked up!!

VersusLuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VersusLuck

Modok consistently gives me the creeps. That being said...Modok+Maria Hill 4everr

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.