Follow

Second Coming

Story arc »

The third part of the Messiah Trilogy cross-over stories that started in Messiah CompleX & continued in Messiah War. Second Coming heralds the long-awaited return of Hope Summers & Cable to the present day.

Unscripted: X-Men: Second Coming

• 53 results
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DMC

Good review guys!

I didn't read every single issue of the last event but how is it that the rest of the X-Men STILL don't know about X-Force after Necrosha? 

Personally, I'm glad this is a crossover, I've always preferred crossovers to regular events cause you get a new chapter every week and it isn't stretched out over 6-8 months. ^_^

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Benzo

I cant wait for second coming :D!! and it's a shame that 7 main characters will die during this event though.... I hope to god that none of the new mutants will die......it will be too soon....I've only just got them back!!! but on a brighter note , I can't wait to see where this event is heading!!! 

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DMC
    @Benzo said:
    " I cant wait for second coming :D!! and it's a shame that 7 main characters will die during this event though.... I hope to god that none of the new mutants will die......it will be too soon....I've only just got them back!!! but on a brighter note , I can't wait to see where this event is heading!!!  "
    7 main characters? You're joking right?
    Beatrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Beatrix
    @Benzo said:
    " I cant wait for second coming :D!! and it's a shame that 7 main characters will die during this event though.... "  
    If this is true then holy moley! What are everyone's thoughts on the cover? 
    I personally love Adi Ganov and think his covers are giving the book just that little bit more of an edge, as though it's truly a special event for the X-Men.  

Also, are we having different artists for every issue, if so that might suck a little, but it might be good; who knows!? I would say this issue is awesome though, if a little short, I think they could have just had a little more in it, but otherwise awesome!
    Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Benzo
    @Beatrix: yep 7 characters will die during second coming (matt fraction said that 7  well known and loved characters will die during second coming,he revealed this information in a old ign interview) actually if you think about it, there's gonna be huge number  of Bastions robots going after all the mutants  and there will probably be more deaths than just seven mutants , (even x-factor's in trouble!!!!)
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

I loved seeing the Right's Smile Faces!  I've always been a big fan of those creepy happy villains.  The giant smile hides the identity of a thousand bigotted humans.  As for the Sapien League...? M'eh, not so much.  But at least they are still around and didn't just disappear after Suicide Leper/Not Forgotten. 

Hope's not a gentle little girl, but I do agree that she's upset over more than just a destroyed school.  They're arrived back into the past/present day, and suddenly it's not the golden place she expected it to be; it was just another place filled with rubble & death.   But...

I found it strange that the X-Men still didn't know about X-Force.  Considering that they've been around for a year (timewise), and there has been so many changes in characters like Elixir & Archangel, and they've even been out in the middle of New York City slicing people up in the middle of the day... how is it even remotely possible for the X-Men to not know that X-Force exists?! 

Other than that, the writing was tight &  on-character.  The art was Finch's best since Messiah Complex (I really thought it was messy during Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia).  However, what I don't like is... the next issue.  This issue is a great first part, but from the preview alone the second issue is sub-standard compared to this opening issue. 

(Take it easy with the background music, it was getting a little hard to hear Tony towards the end of the review).
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By NXH

Great review! I love x-force (but not sure wheather to check out necrosha or not, cos of the mixed views), loved messiah complex so i am hyped for this. especially with david finch on art. YES!! isnt he also doin the art for the last chapter or is going to be someone else. because if it is going to be someone else, id love to see marc silvstri, humberto ramos or even chris bachalo doing it. Knowing my luck, that is highly unlikely. 

Anyway, looks awesome.

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Aspenite

Wow, what a great review! Now I have to get a copy...

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @NXH: I think all the usual creative teams on the X-Titles are going to be involved.  So it'll be Terry Dodson, Mike Choi & Sonia Oback, and Greg Land (on Legacy instead of Uncanny).  I don't know if that applies to the whole story though. 

As for Necrosha, I think it's what you make of it.  There's always a difference between waiting each month to read the next chapter, and sitting down to read it all in one go.  However, if you've read X-Force from the start of this new series then it really is worth reading, since it ties up a lot of story-lines that were set up since the start of the series.  
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mattydeNero

This is sort of reminding of the first part of DA/Uncanny UTOPIA.  Remember how blown away we all were with SILVESTRI's art and how awesome that issue was?  I just hope this story never loses its steam.  This just smells like a constant battle due to how many friggin' villains there are!  The X-Men are going to have like um-teen boss battles, or at least they should.

I read this and realized that DAVID FINCH's art is NOT going to translate well in DC.  He's too dark.  He uses the hell out of shadows and he does it better than almost anyone who draws comics today.  I couldn't see Finch pulling off a run on any character other than a BATMAN-U type.  But maybe he'll surprise me. 

But back to Second Coming.  I really like that this entire arc will be covered in the next three months.  No need to drag this through an entire year.  Can't wait to find out who all gets the ax.
    mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11  Edited By mimschkin

I was so looking forward to this, but I think I've talked myself into waiting for the trade. Does anyone know how long it takes for Marvel to release those these days? Because 14 chapters plus spin-offs and tie-ins and what not is just over my budget, and I'd much rather have just one book with no adverts for such an event. It looks great though.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grendel

Be gentle, Yost reads Comic Vine.

And Hodge is such a sleaze without even trying. Glad he's getting a lot of screentime this arc.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NXH

@xerox-kitty: 

Oh yeah, i know. I was just talking about the final chapter as it will be a one shot i think. was wondering if itd be finch or someone as good like silverstri doing the interior for that last chapter. 

Cool. I've most of x-force, esspecially the first arc, which was awesome. so, i guess i will have to check out Nercosha.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By sora_thekey

Totally will get this today! 
    I might feel more like Babs here because I haven't been following Hope and Cable and I didn't read Messiah War and Messiah Complex... 

David Finch is my favorite artist, so I will love this!
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

I forgot; I liked the way that they briefly mention that Bishop is out of the way now.  Yet when they came under attack, Hope first thought it was Bishop... I suspect he'll somehow be back and part of the final battle.  Much like at the end of Messiah CompleX when we'd forgotten about him, and then he popped back up out of nowhere & shot the Professor.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jordanstine
    @DMC said:
    " @Benzo said:
    " Its a shame that 7 main characters will die during this event though.... I hope to god that none of the new mutants will die......it will be too soon....  "
    7 main characters? You're joking right? "

Hey guys, if I happen to get the axe, I want you to know not to wait up for me ok? With a similar character like me, The Wasp, already
    Hey guys, if I happen to get the axe, I want you to know not to wait up for me ok? With a similar character like me, The Wasp, already "dead", and myself becoming pretty popular nowadays, Marvel is gonna bring me back sooner than later, probably 2 years tops. Oh and I'll tell Jean y'all said "hi"! We'll be back before Thanksgiving!
    Superhero deaths in comics is cheap, especially the popular characters, since they never... NEVER stay dead; only supporting characters or nobody superheroes can stay dead permanently. 

It doesn't matter if it's 1, 7, or even 21 popular superhero characters that are gonna die... they're all going to be resurrected and brought back to life again eventually.   

Comic characters have either tied or broken the record for "No. of Resurrections" which was previously held by Jesus!  Actually, that record was broken by Hawkeye and Jean Grey with 2 resurrections, and that's not even counting all those in all of DC's Infinity Crisis arcs!

I bet of the 7 who are going to die - 3 of them will probably be back within a year, and the other 4 within the next 5 years. 

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

G-man I totally agree with the kitty pryde thing. They just had an issue in uncanny x-men of her return. Not even a mention of what happened to her.    
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FoxxFireArt

This was a good review video. A bit of a reverse here. Normally, it's G-Man with the highest rating.

I think an advantage Scott has over Xavier is that he's not a psychic. Namor and Magneto, in the past, probably were usually too cautious about Xavier. Suspecting he might use his powers on them. With Scott, they both know he can't do that. Wouldn't you be cautious around someone who can read minds and you don't trust?

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mbecks14

G-man where did you get that scooby tee?!

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jamdown

F'in sold out at my comic store
    daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By daveydavey

I liked this Issue ALOT! I give it a 5.

longas91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By longas91
    @Benzo: 
    they better not kill off Rogue or Psylocke!!
    noname2062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By noname2062
    @daveydavey said:
    " I liked this Issue ALOT! I give it a 5. "
    I second that.  I agree with Babs, the dialogue in this issue is spot on for everyone, especially Cyclops... Highly recommend.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Killing off seven "well known and loved" characters is ridiculous.  
    Do any of us genuinely believe they wont return? An why killthem if they're well known and loved? Why no keep them and do soem thing with them.  
    The X-men have been falling for years and in all honesty I don't see this saving them.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Korg
    @Benzo said:
    " @Beatrix: yep 7 characters will die during second coming (matt fraction said that 7  well known and loved characters will die during second coming,he revealed this information in a old ign interview) "
    Do you have a link to this interview?
    ant-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ant-man
    @Benzo: I've seen that interview, and you've forgot about the part  when Carey said that something really, really bad happens to a female character!, I don't what that bad event is, but i think the female character is going to be rogue....
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jordanstine
    @longas91 said:

" @Benzo:  they better not kill off Rogue or Psylocke!! "

Didn't you hear? 

Rogue and Psylocke and the 5 others are going to be killed off and resurrected later as part of the 7 new Phoenix's in the X-Men Universe!  

Kind'a like Power Rangers but not.

"Am I asian or am I white? I don't know! But when I come back as a Phoenix, I better not come back as a red-head!"
    The new X-storyline crossover is going to be called "X-Men: Phoenix Resurrections"

Man, I wish one of the beloved X-Men they would kill off is a guy.  Maybe Cable or even the Beast because I'd love to see them in a Phoenix outfit.     But here are my guesses on the 7 plus Jean Grey

Jean Grey = White Phoenix  
    Storm = Dark Phoneix 
    Rogue = Phoenix  Belle   
    Emma Frost =  Phoenix  B**ch 
    Laura Kinney = Phoeni X-23   
    Psylocke = Teriyaki Phoenix or Kentucky Fried Phoenix (depending which nationality comes back to life)
    Angel = Holy Phoenix 
    Cable = Robot Chicken

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By 00 Raiser

Im actually surprised Finch did the artwork of the first issues. Now I have to see this series through to the end.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By pixelized

Characterization in this issue was excellent. Loved the Pixie/Illyana moment, Loved the Cyclops/Namor moment, loved the X-23/Nightcrawler moment. My only real complaint is, why does Psylocke have telepathy? That bothers me so much as, originally stated by Matt Frac via Psylocke, she could only alter the way people see things, so why is she probing minds and what not? And why doesn't Emma frost do anything anymore?? Grrr

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Grendel

It looked like Psylocke was going to back up Kurt in the Second Coming intro.  I hope there's a solid divide over this issue.

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Bergquist

i think shes 16 (hope)
    zedmanovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zedmanovic

Cable and Bishop shoots each other... Northstar will come'a runnin' to the battle scene and gets killed by a ricochet... Nightcrawler, Pixie and Illyana will accidentally teleport through one another for gory death... and Rogue - well, just dies...

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By Comiclove5

Okay, I'll start reading X-Men with this issue.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great issue, liked seeing the smiley drones again. only gripe was the same as xerox-kitty, being the X-men being surprised to
    find out about X-force, also Nightcrawler

k.
    not a big deal though, really good issue, real good art, good pacing and characterization.
    didnt fail me.

@G-Man:
    dont get the Kitty Pryde thing. i think they didnt elaborate since the issue just came out and they dont want to ruin it for anyone
    mrduckluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrduckluck

wooooow babs give a 5 out of 5

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Grendel
    @Edamame:  Kyle & Yost answered that here: 
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25495

Apoc won't be showing Up:

" 2) Will the effects of the middle chapter "Messiah War" have any influence on what happens in "Second Coming?" And if so, should we be looking for appearances by Stryfe or Apocalypse?

Yost: I think it will have an effect, but I don’t think it’s going to be anything overt – you know, like Apocalypse coming down in a giant spaceship to go after Hope or anything. But I think there was a point to the "Messiah War" [in that it] showed the two sides of Hope – one as a savior and the other as a destroyer. And I think that’s where "Messiah War" really played a large part, because you’d show the X-Men dealing with this girl who’s not necessarily living the best life and she very easily might go the [wrong] way. I mean that girl – her entire life – has lived through hell, and Wolverine knows that. He knows and he’s starting to question whether sending her off with Cable – which was Cyclops' choice – was the best choice. Wolverine is starting to question a lot of Cyclops' choices.

Kyle: And if you talk about our team specifically, the effects of what they went through and their experiences with Hope and Cable…yeah, that's a big part of it. As far as Stryfe and Apocalypse, those are ripples in the X-Men's lives that we’ll see sort of down the path – not in this current story. But "Messiah War" had a big effect on our team and in their relationship with [Hope and Cable]…specifically Hope and X-23. They had a very similar life. They both grew up with lots of strife – not the character – pain, anguish, death. That's a connection they shared when they first met, and that’s something that will keep them bonded as their story continues."

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By the_fallen11

Great issue, I love to think how the rest of the x-men will react when they find out about X-Force.
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Grendel
    @Edamame:  Down the line I'd assume. I really think it depends on where Kyle & Yost land after they leave X-Force. Having Bastion and Apoc tangle for control of the future would be fun to watch but that's not going to happen. It sounds like Apoc and Stryfe will be on the shelf for a little while. And since that Apoc is one from the future and his younger self is still alive in the past, they could get away without ever using Stryfe again. 

Bastion's cabal is stacked with some interesting villains and hopefully they'll get plenty of exposure either rebelling against or gleefully carrying out his orders.

The Stryfe-body thing is this: Apocalyse can take over his body but since he's a clone he would burn through it very quickly. I think the point was that the Apocalypse in Messiah War didn't know that yet.
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grendel
    @Edamame:  Is he? When they took him out after taking over Cable's body back in Fathers & Sons, he never came back and showed up in hell next. He was going to take over Warpath as some sort of deal with Blackheart rather than any telepathic assualt. The Stryfe that showed up in X-man was never officially explained, but the offhand excuse was that he was from an earlier timeline (The same excuse used or implied in Messiah War). He very well could be but even his convoluted history doesn't suggest it. 

On their own, Bastion's boys aren't very powerful but amped up with the Technarchy  gobbledygook and Bastion's future technology they might prove a little tougher. Plus with X-Force murdering people on busy highways, they may have a big chunk of the public on their side.
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grendel

It's possible he is, but he gave up quickly after Tyler exposed his origin and then had to make deals with the underworld to try and get back after that. Apocalypse mentioned that he was powerful but had no strength. It depends on who's writing him but I have a feeling after Cable croaks in Second Coming (See still somewhat on topic) and they want to bring him back a year or so later, kicking out Stryfe's personality to give Cable his body will show him to be a pushover again.

As for him claiming to be as immortal as Apocalypse, I think he was talking out of his ass. He also said he was the most powerful mutant ever and I'm sure Legion or X-man could give him a run for his money.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Grendel

I think his quote was "I'm the most powerful mutant on the planet past, present and future!!!!" so that was just more grandstanding. 

Stryfe was mentored with his powers by  Madame Sanctity who was a complete nutbag so that might (cheaply) explain why he's so inconsistent with his powers.

The Legion from Legion Quest vs. X-man would be a good battle. I think it was a mistake to resurrect Legion but what's done is done and maybe we'll see them clash.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Thought it was good, won't be getting all the tie in's but im still following Uncanny so hopefully i can still get a jist of the story from that alone.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NXH
    @xerox-kitty:
    Ah, crap! I cant stand greg land's art. Has anyone told him tracing isn't real drawing?  I donno about terry dodson, but he's not bad and Mike Choi is cool. so, this x event is 50/50.
    zedmanovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zedmanovic
    @pixelized said:
    " Characterization in this issue was excellent. Loved the Pixie/Illyana moment, Loved the Cyclops/Namor moment, loved the X-23/Nightcrawler moment. My only real complaint is, why does Psylocke have telepathy? That bothers me so much as, originally stated by Matt Frac via Psylocke, she could only alter the way people see things, so why is she probing minds and what not? And why doesn't Emma frost do anything anymore?? Grrr "
    if you followed the Psylocke 4-part mini-series, you'd see she still uses her mind-probing skills against opponents (she fought Yukio and Wolverine)... as for Emma Frost -- good question though -_-

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.