cloudguy's Sea of Stars #1 - Lost In the Wild Heavens, Part One review

Avatar image for cloudguy
  • cloudguy wrote this review on .
  • cloudguy has written a total of 28 reviews. The last one was for

Do you love space and the colour purple? Then this is the comic for you!

Have you ever wondered why Marvel’s Magneto constantly drops the purple from his costume? Is it the constantly evolving character who struggles to stay between the line of good and evil and his fashion choice shows that? Nope! It’s all being saved for Sea of Stars!

A couple of months ago I picked this up thanks to the recommendation of one of the regulars at my local comic shop and being my pessimistic self when it comes to purchases, I was skeptical about getting this. I’ve never been the biggest fan of Sci-Fi comics, yet Jason Aaron and Dennis Hallum, showcase why Sci-fi comics work.

Sea of Stars follows the story of a single father and his son separated in the vastness of space. The concept itself sounds like your run-of-the-mill story, but what makes it stand out is how the characters are written. They’re written like a family who’ve suffered a loss yet have almost moved on. Aaron and Hallum stay away from being grandiloquent and focus on the characters relationship with each other rather than build up a universe to explore.

Protagonists Gil and Kaydn have a relatable relationship that so easy to connect to and feel their pain through the writing and art. They’re a family who’ve lost a loved one and are struggling to get on with their day-to-day lives when the worst thing in the universe happens to them, they get separated from each other. Also, Aaron doesn’t add any unnecessary filler to pad the issue out. It’s streamlined and focused, something many comics wrestle to find.

Purple. You’ve got to love the colour purple to enjoy this issue. Rico Renzi loves the colour purple, so much so, that the colouring for Sea of Stars is most likely based around it and is masterfully done so that it’s not overwhelming or out of place.

Stephen Green’s art does a fantastic job of bringing the vastness of space to life, along with Renzi’s colours you have an aura of mystery and wonder all in one go. With uncertainty not far behind. Green’s faces can be rather simplistic, yet full of expression. Feeling their sadness and loss all while experiencing the childlike wonder through Kaydn’s eyes.

Sea of Stars is a comic that everyone should check out, even if you’re not a fan of Sci-Fi.

SCORE: 5/5

First posted on my personal blog on 11/14/2019.