Follow

Scott Lobdell

Person » Scott Lobdell is credited in 1092 issues.

Scott Lobdell is an American writer best known for his work on Uncanny X-Men, Generation X and Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Scott Lobdell Answers More Questions about DC's 'The New 52'

• 51 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

A couple weeks ago, Scott Lobdell offered to answer questions from the Comic Vine community. The response was overwhelming. Scott is determined to answer every single question you guys asked but I insisted he doesn't let it get in the way of him actually writing the books he's working on (Superboy, Teen Titans and Red Hood and the Outlaws).

No Caption Provided

Here's a note from Scott:

Hey gang!
    Thank you all so much for you patience and your enthusiasm! Things have been incredibly hectic at Lobdell Central, as you can probably imagine! I promised I'd answer your questions though, and I will! (It looks like I'm averaging two "pages" a week -- and I think the cut off was at page seven? I'll have to check!

And seriously, what do we think about these number ones selling out all over the country? How heartening is that to see that comic fans new and old are giving DC a great big hug for their efforts?

Maybe I'll see some of you in the comic book stores picking up a copy of Superboy 1 on Wednesday?

Peace out,
    S!

And now, the answers to some more of your questions.

== TEASER ==

-Vigil-

Any big romance plans for the characters, especially Tim?

Yes! But I'm afraid more than than that I can not say! But... I guess I can say things are going to be a bit more fluid in terms of relationships than we've maybe seen in the past. You know how kids are!

I personally would like to see the reintroduction of Tam from Red Robin, and have her and Tim be a couple, but Stephanie might also work, because at least that would mean she still exists!

Nice try, Vig! LOL! Alas, I have no plans for either. Yet.

(And don't read too much into that answer. I have no idea of the status of Stephanie so there are no tea leaves to be read there!)

Red Rum

Will these DC Reboots affect the DC Universe MMO in any way?

OMG! I am so out of touch that I don't even know what MMO means! I hope it isn't important!

KINCART

Will Superboy still have Kryptonian powers and Tactile Telekinesis?

Yes! Sorta! That is, Superboy doesn't actually HAVE Kryptonian powers, per se -- he has a body that, in tandem with his telekinetic powers, can facsimilate and accommodate Kryptonian powers that any other human hybrid could not. But I think it is important that Superboy is not just Mini-Superman with tk powers. (There is already a Superman, and he's awesome!)

RedheadedAtrocitus

Not sure if this has been covered yet but here goes. One of the questions CV put to you regarded familiar faces that would be seen in Superboy...references of "No way!" or "...I didn't see that coming" being your wording. What makes me curious then is, with the supplanting of CADMUS by N.O.W.H.E.R.E., will some of those familiar faces be a revamped Dubbilex or perhaps even Jim Harper? How about the Newsboy Legion?

Nay. But I will confess (shhh!) that I have always loved Dubbliex and the Newsboy Legion! And if I could figure out a way to update the Newsboy Legion, I would use them in a second! Yes, they were awesome, but I just don't see many kids wearing beanies these days.

Furthermore, from what I have read it seems that you're still sticking with the idea that SB is half human/half-Kryptonian. Without a doubt I can pretty much conclude who the Kryptonian half will be, but what I'm curious of is, who contributes to his human half? Is it still Luthor or someone else?

I've answered this question many times by now -- but I will answer it again a final time, here. It is Lex.

And while we are on the subject of N.O.W.H.E.R.E., did you derive inspiration of that term from the team Men From N.O.W.H.E.R.E. in Vertigo Comics? I'd love to hear any and all answers you can provide! And thank you for your consideration.

Yes! I am a huge anagram fan from the days of the MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. -- and while I was researching All Things DC I came across this relatively obscure MEN FROM N.O.W.H.E.R.E. idea of Grant's. I felt like he had told the stories he wanted to tell and that the name was too awesome for me NOT to use in the DCNu! And while it does not mirror Grant's N.O.W.H.E.R.E., there are certainly way more to the group than meets the eye!

And... thank you for taking the time to post questions in books you are excited about!

TheBlackHood

From the solicits for Teen Titans it looks as if new members will be added to the team over the first few issues, while the solicits for Red Hood and the Outlaws only show the same three members. Do you have plans to add additional member's to Red Hood's Outlaws and if so, can you give us any hint to who?

Yes, there will be new Outlaws! I really wanted a few that got nixed right up front. I am a huge Crimson Avenger fan -- not only is she gorgeous, she is tragic and has a frightfully tragic back story -- I think she would have fit right in! But she got nixed. Sigh. Also, I wanted to 're-imagine' Raven. But nixed.

But I will tell you who did get in! Crux is a young black man from Europe who was devastated by the death of his parents after an encounter with aliens, and he worked to refashion his own body in order to protect the world from aliens here on Earth -- which put him on Kori's trail for a while now. He's going to battle Red Hood & The Outlaws and wind up ultimately hanging around afterwards. Like Jason and Roy, Warren suffers from having made some poor life choices.

Also, and this is more a comment than a question; but THANK YOU for returning Red Hood to his badass Biker costume, that Conehead one in Batman and Robin was THE Lame!

LOL! That might have been one of the bad life choices I referenced in the previous question! LOL!

blur1528

Any plans for Jackson Hyde (Aqualad) in Teen Titans?

Not for the moment, no! But he is an awesome character!

I cannot wait for Teen Titans #1!!!

You?! What about me?! LOL!

Is Superboy robotic of any kind in his own series?

Nay!

Coming off of Lemire's run why should I buy this new series?

Well if you are a big fan of awesome character driven stories about Superboy (and clearly you are, because you sight Jeff's great work on the title) then why would you NOT buy this new series?! LOL! It is like saying "I love hamburgers -- but only from McDonalds!" If you truly love hamburgers, you'll try hamburgers prepared by different people and find different things to appreciate about each!

ArtisticNeedham

I guess without revealing too much, can you say if the Teen Titans by George Perez and Marv Wolfman will still be in continuity? Or will the Teen Titans sort of be rebooted all together?

My understanding is that all that stuff still happened!

moviegeek17

Who are the five characters you would want to write the most? (in DC, Marvel, etc.)

Hmmm. Wonder Woman has always been a favorite! Legion of Super Heroes! Doom Patrol! An Alfred series (I am serious! Who is this guy?!) and, seriously, Krypto!

Also if you don't mind me asking you another question, i honestly haven't read any of your work before (sorry!) do you have any of your past work that you could recommend for me to read?

I don't mind you asking another question... but what a question! Haha! I don't know how easy it would be to get ahold of the first ten issues of GENERATION X, but I think that is a good example of my writing. But maybe go to a message board and ask for recommendations from fans. I have discovered over the years they are not afraid of sharing their opinions of my work... heehee!

TheLastLantern

Is Superboy's name still going to be Connor? Or will it be changed to something more evil?

We're not sure what his "name" is when we first meet him. But I will say something that is KIND OF A SCOOP:

While I said at Comic-Con that "Superboy is the villain for first year" -- people seemed to have thought that meant he was going to be evil. But you can be a villain simply because you are acting counter to the best interests or welfare of the heroes without ever being "bad" or "evil." So... anyone looking for Superboy to be twirling his mustache while Cassie is tied to the railroad tracks will be disappointed.

AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Some of my questions are mostly Ravager related:

-What issue will Rose/Ravager first appear in SUPERBOY?

Issue one!

-Being Superboy's handler, will Rose develop a relationship with him?

To kill him if he gets out of control. She is not his nurse maid or his Bosley.

-Will she wear a mask in the future? Eye-patch?

Who knows what the future will bring. Not eye!

-Will she even be called "Ravager" in the DCnU?

Hmm. I don't know -- Rose is such an awesome name.

-After RedRobin, WonderGirl, Kid Flash, Superboy, Bugg, Wall, and the mysterious "Charol Girl" become the new roaster of Teen Titans, will we see fresh new characters AND/OR the return for familiar faces as the series continues towards the future?

At this moment we haven't discussed any new characters at this point in time.

-For creativity for your run on the Teen Titans, did it come from Jim Lee's GEN-13?

Ummm. What an interesting question. Not at all. While that was a fun book because of its wildly irreverent style and frightfully sexy characters and maybe a hint of "camp" if I may... TEEN TITANS is very much a mainstream comic book series. In fact, I can't think of two books that are farther apart. That's why I am so curious. (It would be like if you asked me "Were you inspired by Beverly Hills 90210?" because they are both about teenagers.)

-Will the Teen Titans clash into RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS?

No plans for the moment.

-Will their be newer members for the OUTLAWS?

See above!

AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

@noj: Thank god I'm not the only one who notice the wardrobe malfunction between the 2 books for Conner.

Yes! It is so strange to me when I look at people and they are wearing different clothes than they wore before. It is so confusing. Sometimes I will see my father and he will be wearing a polo shirt and other times I see him he will be wearing a suit and tie. I am always "What the heck -- ?! Who are you?! Why aren't you wearing the same clothes every day?! Go back and put on the clothes I am used to seeing every time I see you!"

heehee

where4artthoucarlos

Will Superboy still be related in ant way to Lex Luthor?

Si! In exactly the same way.

The Impersonator

How mysterious! The answer can be found here: http://goodnightgirl.com/blog_amber_shields/text/13419433

speedstermike

Will Wally be there?

Nay.

Will Bart remember Flashpoint?

Nay.

Did Jason ever die?

Aye!

Is Jason killing criminals?

Sometimes!

And if so will he ever be a Red Lantern?

Nay!

Jekylhyde14

I looked at the acronym you used for the secret organization in charge of Superboy and couldn't help but be reminded of the Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E. out of Grant Morrison's memorable run on the Doom Patrol. Their agenda doesn't even seem too different from theirs. The Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E. were created to rein in the bizarre and unusual just as your group seems to be trying to rein in the unusual teens you've been charged with writing. Am I over-thinking or are you making a reference to the Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E.?

You are not over-thinking it. N.O.W.H.E.R.E. was inspired by The Men From N.O.W.H.E.R.E. in more ways than one without duplicating the idea!

firewrkninja

What was your favorite food when you were a kid?

Dinty Moore Beef Stew! And, shhhhh... it still is!

doordoor123

Are there long term plans for Ravager in Superboy?

Yes! I see her as a co-star!

Any chance that shell cross into teen titans?

I can't imagine she won't!

Was Starfire in the Teen Titans previous to this new one?

Si.

Is Jason Todd a really bad guy in this or will the reader see him as a "good" guy?

I am hoping they will see him as a guy who sometimes does bad things for good reasons. Or sometimes, good things for bad reasons.

Will we sympathize with him?

I hope so. I do!

How long will it take to introduce all of the new Teen Titans?

They will all be in action as a team by the end of issue four. I really wanted to take the time to get to know them first.

Will we notice the difference with this new Superboy?

You will have to let me know!

I've heard that he will have stronger mental powers. What other powers will he have?

To be revealed.

Who will be the strongest of the teen titans? And if it's Wondergirl, why?

Wonder Girl is currently the most physically powerful member of the team right now. Because.

Did Lilans death still happen? Or is Roy over his daughter's death? And for that reason, is there any plans for Cheshire to come into the fold?

See above!

Darkmount1

What was your reaction when first seeing Starfire's new costume?

"Wow! That is one impossibly sexy and powerful and self-assured young woman who looks like she can kick ass!" That was my first reaction when I saw George's Starfire and it is the same reaction I had when I saw Kenneth's. Kori is one of those characters who is more than her clothing choices!

If you could write for either property, which would you choose, GI Joe or Transformers? Do you have any favorite characters from either franchise?

I would have to politely decline such and opportunity as I have never read an issue or seen a complete episode of either. Don't be mad -- I am happy for you that you like them!

Will you be making sure the new characters you introduce not end up as the perennial "cousin Oliver" of the book like Danny Chase was for the original "New Titans" series?

Interesting. How would you go about ensuring that?

In Hollywood we have an expression: "No one ever starts out to make a bad movie." You put your time and your energy and your all into a project and still things don't come together exactly the way you want them to... but it isn't for lack of trying!

While you were in Seattle for Emerald City ComiCon last year, how did you enjoy our fair emerald city?

What a lovely city it was! Everyone was so polite!

When Amber and I got up to Seattle it was chilly and raining and she asked me why on Earth I didn't bring my jacket? I said "Because I thought it was warm and sunny. You know, Sunny Seattle!" She was like "Scott, you are the only person in the world who has ever used the phrase 'Sunny Seattle"! LOL

(Someone please try to get these questions into the final groupings!!!!)

Final?! We're not even halfway done!

SpectrumBlur

I don't know if you can answer this without giving away any story points or spoilers, but here goes anyway. Given the appearance of a red Bat symbol on Red Hood's costume, what connection will Jason have with the rest of the Bat family? Does Batman sanction Red Hood's activities, or is the the Bat symbol on his costume his way of giving Bruce the finger?

The finger might be too strong, but yes, it is more about Red Hood making a statement than it is about what Batman thinks of the Red Hood.

steelhorseclub

Scott

One of the biggest criticisms currently directed against Teen Titans and Red Hood and the Outlaws, throughout the interwebs, is that they give off a 90s vibe. This seems to be a negative for some people. Do you see image of your mainstream 90s pedagree as being something to overcome or avoid?

Hmmm. I don't think good stories have an expiration date, do they?

But I'll say I don't see Teen Titans through the prism of the 90s.... I just see it as an awesome series about interesting characters doing amazing things. And, while some people look at current comics and shout "Yea! Six pages of taking heads of a super hero team while they are on their ship heading to deal with some threat -- how compelling and groundbreaking, some seven years after the Office has been paving the way! This is the way comics should be!" I would say that is not something I find personally interesting or enjoyable.

I will tell you this: When I was writing Uncanny in my day, people would always ask "Are you ever afraid you are going to run out of ideas?" I would laugh and say "No! The opposite is true! Whenever I get a 22 page issue to write, I usually have 30 pages of story I want to tell! It is harder for me to keep everything in than it is to stretch things out!"

That is how I feel about the work I am doing currently! If that is 90s or old school then it is a pedigree I wear with pride!

Post by Fhiz

I've noticed Jason Todd is wearing a Bat symbol on his chest, does this reflect a new relationship he may have with Bruce?

See above.

Post by Grim

There are many a Teen Hero who are often overlooked in the DCU. Will we be seeing any of them re-introduced into the DCU? And may i suggest Red Star? (he is always used amazingly once... then ignored for 6-12 months).

First let me say you have great taste! Red Star is one of my favorite characters ever! And.. yes there are many great teen characters -- who knows, if Teen Titans is the hit that it is destined to be, maybe we can spin off and bring other teen characters front and center! But... for the time being the team is the team is the team.

Thanks and PLEASE treat Conner and Tim right! (OH! side note: would you please have someone toss around the name Carl when trying to give superboy a name? As a nod to his solo days? much obliged)

I aim to treat all the characters right! LOL!

Post by StarKiller80

Will Wonder Girl still be the same character or is she going to be completely different?

(I'm just worried because the solicitation said she will be a "Thief")

I think she is pretty much who she has always been -- but she's just more emotionally stronger and more centered.

Fear not, she's not Selina Kyle or Gambit! There are a lot of variations and motivations attached to a word like thief.

Post by tonis

Given your current plate of titles, which are all dealing with young super heroes in an adult world. Where do you find the ideas and inspiration that lend themselves to creating believable super teens?

Um. I lived.

But seriously, it is not as if I exist on another world where they keep everyone over twenty away from the rest of the populace. I have 22 nieces and nephews and I have friends and neighbors and I watch television and read books and see movies and live in a world where teenagers interact with the rest of humanity all day long. LOL!

What past representations of super teens influenced you? and if so, why?

I thought GENERATION X was excellent. Those kids felt real to me.

Finally, what would you think of the idea of tying the new Superboy with the Legion of Super-Heroes more? (the ULTIMATE teen group)

How are they the ULTIMATE teen group? By what standard?

But, to answer your question... there are no plans currently, but I think it would be awesome! Fabian and I have started having conversations about it -- so if it happens it might happen around issue 12!

Sorry for the multiple questions, really cool that your doing this man :)

It is really fun! I hope I answered your questions well enough -- I was being sincere!

Post by Oghmata

Considering that the charaters who teamed up to become "Red Hood and the Outlaws" are pretty much full of resentment and, let's say, the wayward members of the superheroes' family, will their story eventually deal with some kind of "redemption" and going back to the "Light Side" ?

Or will it be more iconoclast and focused on the use of lethal force to deal with criminals (or pretty much anyone standing in the way) - in other words going deeper and deeper into the "Dark Side" ?

Hmmm... not sure how to answer that question because of the way you frame it. As a choice between "Light Side" and "Dark Side". If only life were that simple, eh?

The story of Jason Todd & The Outlaws is, as you say, about redemption... but that doesn't mean it is about becoming a super hero (they are all "super heroes" at one time), nor is it about them coming to terms with being killers and justifying their actions.

I can't really say what I am talking about right this moment, any more than George Lucas would have promoted Star Wars by saying "And we have a great villain named Darth Vader who is going to be revealed to be Luke Skywalker's dad in the sequel." (Whoops! Should I have put a SPOILER ALERT there?!) If you are intrigued by the idea of redemption based on what you know of these characters... hop on!

Post by nightwing1992

Will Roy have any memory of losing his arm, his previous relapse or his realtionship with cheshire and will his daughter exist again?

He can't have a memory of losing his arm as (of now) it never happened. Will his daughter exist again? I would like to hope so as I love kids, but I have no plans for Roy to become a father.

Also will Jason still hate the Bat-family?

I don't think he hates them. I think he finds their methods to be, well, stupid and self-limiting. But as far as hate? I think he is more likely to hide in the bushes at Wayne Manor on Thanksgiving Day and look at everyone eating turkey dinner by a roaring fireplace and wondering why he isn't inside with the others -- wondering if maybe he couldn't have made different choices. But I don't think that's hate.

Post by Fantasgasmic

How extensively will Jason Todd's past be retconned, or in other words, how can you justify him wearing a Bat symbol?

I don't know that it is being retconned at all. Oh wait, I can tell you this! Instead of simply being shipped from one mobster to another to learn to do "bad things" while he was trying to readjust to being alive again, we'll discover his training and reorientation was much much more elaborate! How do I "justify" him wearing a bat symbol? I hadn't really thought about needing to "justify" it... it was Jason's decision, not mine.

Is Dick and Starfire's past romance/almost marriage still canon, and how will that affect the Jason/Starfire romance that is obviously just a matter of time?

LOL I love questions like these - - where you want me to skip ahead six or eight months to tell you what is going to happen! So silly! Yes, their relationship is still canon. You need to follow the books to see how that plays out over time.

Was Lian Harper ever born?

No.

Did Cry for Justice happen?

No.

.... you see where this is going, right?

You have an obsession with the past?

Are the Teen Titans going to have been an established team in the past (like the Starfire, Cyborg, Nightwing era)?

Again with the past! LOL! But scroll up for your answers!

Who was responsible for the King Shark vs Superboy cover and why does he hate me?

It isn't King Shark, but maybe people hate you for other reasons? Heehee

Charcoal girl reminds me of Raven's astral form and Starfire. Is she Blackfire? Why not?

No. And why not? Because she is someone else.

Post by GraveSp

How does Dick feel about Roy hanging out with Jason?

I don't know that he knows yet. The Outlaws don't hang out in Gotham City and their actions are pretty covert.

Are the Outlaws going to be killing?

Not as a rule, no.

Why is Roy wearing a baseball cap with what looks like a raccoon on it?

Roy wears lots of different baseball caps. I am guessing he likes to wear them because he thinks they look good? What other reasons would someone have for wearing a baseball cap.

Post by sesquipedalophobe

Will Superboy eventually wear a real costume? The Zoddish outfit doesn't look too good on paper.

I think it looks cool! But I will say one of the things I love about the younger characters at DC is how NON-iconic they are. There have been so many versions of Wonder Girl's costumes and even Bart started out as Impulse and became Kid Flash at one point. Robin became Nightwing. Look at how many times Superboy has changed his look over the years!

I can't say for sure what he'll be wearing a year from now -- but I can say I do love his most recent outfit.

Post by BuNKiTZ

Will this be the first time Tim becomes Red Robin?

Nope. Though it might be the first time in a while.

Or has he been Red Robin for as long as he has in the old DCU?

LOL! Trick question!

And has his costume always been like this?

Nope, he's just recently started wearing the wings.

And also, is this the first time Tim's met Bart and Cassie?

Yes.

Conner's origin story will be like a flashback kind of thing right? Or is it happening at the current time for the New DCU?

Yes, some of it is told in flashback, but yes, it is also purty darned current.

Why Starfire and Arsenal? Why did the two of them join Red Hood and not some other "misunderstood" hero/vigilante?

Um, why not? Who would you rather they have hung out with?

And is Jason like finally back with the rest of the Bat family? As in, he's not like fighting with them anymore?

He's got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Post by The_Tree

Does Tim still have his Red Robin Cave, or as I like to call it the Robin's Nest?

He has more than one base of operations as he's on the run a lot, so maybe he does.

Will we ever see Raven, Jackson Hyde, Static, Blue Beetle, or Beast Boy in TT? Are there any plans for Lex to appear in Superboy?

I wouldn't rule out appearances by any of those characters -- but for the moment there are no plans for any of those particular appearances. (But I've only plotted up to around issue 8, so who knows!)

P.S. If you answer my questions, you win my never ending love.

Hmmm. Not sure what I am going to do with the never ending love of someone named The Tree, but it is nice to know it is there in case of emergency.

Post by Superguy0009e

How do you hope that this relaunch will affect DC and other comic companies (or just the industry in general)?

I think it will be a big breath of fresh air! I've been a fan for longer than I've been a writer and as I fan I just find it so exhausting to see the same stories told over and over again -- or following, say, the adventures of a 16 year old character that doesn't change much in 20-odd years. I am admittedly not a Harry Potter fan (through ignorance -- I've never read the book and only saw two of the movies) but I love the fact he grew up over the course of the books and the movies. I'm not saying Bruce and Clark need to be in their 90s now, I'm just saying I think it is great that every once and a while we, as an industry, are able to clear the decks to tell new stories with classic characters!

I also think a "high tide raises all boats" -- and judging from the sales on these books, there are a lot of comic book readers walking into a lot of comic book stores, which is good for everyone!

Post by ChadwickDavis

I admit I am a bit nervous regarding the DCnU in regards to how much will be alteredhowever; I am aware that sometimes change must occur in order to grow no matter how uncomfortable it may be in the beginning. I am also very curious/excited about the potential all three of your books and (and the DCnU as a whole) I read your commentary regarding the Teen Titans, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Superboy titles as a whole and I have a few questions about a possible backburner thoughts.

Teen Titans

#1: Wonder Girl in particular and I was curious about how different from the "original" Cassandra Sandsmark she is in refards to the New DCnU in terms of powers (solely gauntlets of atlas or does she keep her divine endowment).

She no longer has her divine endowment. Any power she has, she's taken. Which, we'll discover over time, made some "people" less than thrilled by her.

#2: In the promos Wonder Girl was referenced as a " powerhouse thief." how credible of a thief are we talking about here? Regular girl with sticky fingers or a "Holly Robinson"/ trained by catwoman caliber thief?

I'm not sure how to answer the question of her credibility. I can tell you she was, as near as I know, never trained by anyone. And I can say that he powerhouse-ness probably came as the result of her being a thief, not that she is a powerhouse thief. Does that help?

#3:Regarding Wonder Girl's family ties (namely Zeus' relationship with her mother) does that history still factor in her revamp

No.

#4. How independent is Red Robin from Batman in the Teen Titans is he simply his "former sidekick" or is he able to finance the group himself...that is if they all survive going N.O.W.H.E.R.E.

He is still close to Bruce (what is there not to be close about?)... but we'll understand the dynamics between the two better by issue six. He's simply going to be too busy to worry about checking in with Batman. (The question of financing if going to be very interesting as you'll see in coming issues. Like, for example, Tim having to sleep on Cassie's couch in issue two. This isn't a "team" where one member of the group solves every problem with the swipe of a credit card.

Superboy

#1: Ravager as Superboy's handler I think that is an excellent touch...However I am curious is she going to be acting in a "kill switch" capacity or as a field commander or sorts ...or both of the above.

Kill switch

#2: In regards to Superboy's powers how much of superboy's old power set does he have, and how much control does he have over them, and how much of a new power set will we see from him (ande Ravager for that matter)

I'm going to have to say "read the book"... sorry. I can't answer here without giving away secrets, and what is the fun in that?! =)

Red hood and the Outlaws

#1: All of the members have been known to cross the line (in regards to killing) once or twice in the "old" DCU how close will this team be on that line or will they be like an anti suicide squad in regards to their methods?

I don't think they think much about it, to be honest. While they don't kill at random like disgruntled Postal Workers, if you are using deadly force against them, they will use deadly force back. I don't think they (or the readers) will be defining them as killers as a matter of course.

And thank you for taking this time out of your schedule to "chat" with us.

It has been a pleasure!

Post by ThanosIsMad

Since you're writing Teen Titans, what's the status on Dick's Titans? Specifically, are Judas Contract and the big Trigon stories still canon?

Si.

Post by tcJackal

Will Aqualad (Jackson) show up in Teen Titans?

Who?!

(Just kidding! Asked and answered! Seek and ye' shall find!)

When will the fourth member Crux make himself known in Red Hood and the Outlaws?

He has a cameo in issue one, but I think he takes center stage around issue four.

What inspired the creation of Bugg?

Well, the same way I have grown tired of seeing "Young White Male" super heroes (I've said in other interviews that if the industry never creates another we would all be okay! LOL!)... I've also grown bored with how often most characters look so gosh durned perfect. Tall, handsome or gorgeous, with the perfect physique ever uber-perfect physique we see on a lot of the women characters. In some ways I wonder how hard is it to be a Superman when you look like, well, a superman? I just really wanted at least one character on the team not to look like they could star on their own WB show.

(It is much easier to be a hero, I think, when you look like Cassie... than if you look like a creature that will make you run away screaming in terror! LOL! I wanted to see that represented in this younger generation of DC superheroes!)

Post by magicman620

How many members do you have plan to join the Teen Titans?

I think they are okay with the current eight members. Whoops, did I say 8?

Will they all be new characters?

What. What?

Also will we see former Titans like Static, Ravager, Miss Martian, Aquagirl and the Blue Beetle join the ranks of teen titans?

See above.

Is this the first generation of the Teen Titans ever in this new DCnU?

No.

Did Nightwing, Red Arrow, Donna Troy, Tempest, and The Flash ever form the original Teen Titans?

That sounds like a trick question. But to the best of my knowledge, yes.

Is Dick and Roy the same age?

I don't know. How old is Dick?

What is the hardest part in writing a team book?

Trying to squeeze in so much story in every page -- and making sure all the characters get their due. (My editor wrote and nudged me about how I ignored Cassie is issue three except for a one-page subplot. I said "But she is front row and center in a massive knock down drag out battle in issue four! Trust me, I am not ignoring her!" So yeah, sometimes you don't have the room in a non-compressed comic to make sure everyone gets a chance to shine.

Can you reveal anymore tidbits of the Teen Titans that you haven't already mention?

Sneaky you are. I can tell you the team is more diverse than people realize. Does that count?

How hard is it to break out as comic book writer? What is the best way to get your foot at the door?

Asked and answered.. scroll up! But I will say this... it took me SIX YEARS of REJECTION LETTERS before I broke in, and that was before the advent of the Internet. I think today it is a little easier.

Thank you for taking time to read my questions.

The honor was mine, Magic Man. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Post by aztecnife

1). How will the incorporation of the new team members into the teen titans and will there be more teen heroes of color on the team.

The new characters (Bunker, Bugg and the mysteriously named "Charcoal Girl") all help form the Teen Titans as a result of the first few stories that run through the series. Each of them are people are heroes of color which means that almost half the team is made up of diverse characters. (Years ago, Chris Bachalo and I created a team called Generation X -- where the team was made up of characters like Synch, M, Mondo and Skin. And I also helped create characters like Maggot, Shard, Dr. Cecilia Reyes, Noir, Centennial and Puck's daughter among others. Trust me when I say I am very much aware that comics needs to do a better job of making sure the characters on the page more directly represent the world around us!)

2). How did you come up with Jason, Roy, and Starfire as the outlaws when there can be more possible choices, and will their be other defected ex-sidekicks joining up with the outlaws as the series progresses.

Well the idea was presented to me as a writer and at first I scratched my head and nearly begged them to let me take Starfire out of the book. It just "didn't work" that these two street level guys would hang out with a walking nuclear reactor from another planet.

Until... I started writing them. Now they seem like the most natural trio in the world. Seriously! I love how they interact and complement each other in terms of attitudes and powers and back stories. They are so awesome together!

No, no plans for "former sidekicks". And while Crux is going to make his debut soon, I don't see other people joining up for a while. I'd rather keep the membership smaller so we have time to focus on each other them for now!

Stay tuned for more answers!!! If you missed the first batch of questions and answers, click here.

Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Morgaine_Levesque

Awesomesauce!

ninjacommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ninjacommando

That outfit was one of Jason's bad life choices!

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By -Vigil-

YAY! I feel famous! :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I would love an Alfred comic !!! It has to be his early years though before the Wayne family, a 12 issue maxi-series split into 3 four issue arcs each focusing on a different time period would be pretty awesome.

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By firewrkninja

Oh Em Gee he answered my question.

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By -Vigil-
    @firewrkninja said:
    Oh Em Gee he answered my question.
    I know, right?!
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Morgaine_Levesque

HOLD UP. Lian still died?

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Kato

Admittedly, I don't know who Lobdell is. But honestly he just seems out of touch when he says he knows nothing about the MMO. I kinda just get that vibe from him.

okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By okayla

Hahaha, why are they putting the old  outta touch guy in charge of the teen books?  

RareCheshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RareCheshire
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon: No, she didn't die, she never existed. Red Arrow and Cheshire never met and never had a relationship in the relaunch.
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RareCheshire: That's what I get for skimming.  

Mehhhhhh. It's better than her being dead. 
    RareCheshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RareCheshire
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon: It is kinda, but I'm still sad! Hopefully they will develop a relationship somewhere down the line and have Lian again.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

SL you my friend are a total ledg, cant wait for your books to come out I will be getting them all but I am not sure which one I am looking forward to the most! 

Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RareCheshire said:
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon: It is kinda, but I'm still sad! Hopefully they will develop a relationship somewhere down the line and have Lian again.
    ;) 
    RareCheshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RareCheshire
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon: I support this! That is a fun page to look through! 
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RareCheshire: I love it. Every now and then you'll come across one that pisses you off, but the majority of them are spot on ^_^
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#17  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided
    punisher131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By punisher131313

I'm more confused now than before, how can the Bat-Families history still be canon but the rest of DC not be, considering the Bat-Families history is intertwined with the old Dc Universe............Oh no I've gone cross-eyed
    !

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Jekylhyde14

Glad he answered more questions! I'm actually surprised he used the Men From N.O.W.H.E.R.E. as inspiration for the organization in charge of Superboy. That makes me even more excited to pick it up. 

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By GraveSp

awesome my questions got answered.  And a person may be wearing a baseball cap if he is going bald

slick23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By slick23

This dude keeps getting cooler and cooler, hows that possible man?! I CANT WAIT FOR SUPERBOY AND TEEN TITANS.. and and and..OUTLAWZ! GRAWRR

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Trodorne
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon said:
    @RareCheshire said:
    ;) 
    I support the idea of getting those to together and having at it in angry sex until Lian Harper comes back and makes oliver a grand father again. I WANT LIAN HARPER BACK!
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buttersdaman000

So.....no Wally?

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By xkoenig

Although Scott Lobdell keeps saying everything from Teen Titans from before the DCnU is still in continuity, I very, very much doubt that that is actually true. Where is Wally West? Where is Donna Troy? I think he'd like to think it's true that it all counts, but the DCnU will have a very hard time reconciling this. It all just sounds to me like different writers are picking and choosing what they like from before, even if it totally contradicts what someone else has said or is planning to do.

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cagedleo730

@xkoenig: Lobdell, says that "as far as he knows" it still exists. Those histories don't concern his current stories, so he doesn't need to be on the know about every corner of the DCU. As for Donna Troy and Wally West, maybe they existed in the 5 year hero boom, maybe not. It's all up in the air right now. Donna's history needs to be cleaned up. It would be a damned shame if Wally is benched indefinitely because the "Powers that Be" don't want to "confuse" fans about the Flash.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I'm really excited for his take on superboy, I prefer him not being a superman mini so the TK related focus will be cool and hope he has some new stuff too

I have all 3 of his titles at the top of my pull list for DCnU

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Morgaine_de_Bourbon said:

@RareCheshire said:
    ;)

quick post this in the question forum so he sees it. Hurry Lian's soal may be at stake

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9996f1456eb
    deactivated-5b9996f1456eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Serious question here. Do they ever actually call themselves the TEEN TITANS?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By doordoor123

Im proud of my questions xD

Avatar image for blue_beetle_is_blue
    Blue_Beetle_is_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So excited for Red Hood!!!!!!!!!!!

punisher131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By punisher131313

@xkoenig said:

Although Scott Lobdell keeps saying everything from Teen Titans from before the DCnU is still in continuity, I very, very much doubt that that is actually true. Where is Wally West? Where is Donna Troy? I think he'd like to think it's true that it all counts, but the DCnU will have a very hard time reconciling this. It all just sounds to me like different writers are picking and choosing what they like from before, even if it totally contradicts what someone else has said or is planning to do.

I agree 100%

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By SevanGrim
    No Caption Provided
    Teen Titans v3 #38
    Teen Titans v3 #38
    Sins
    Sins
    Leonid flying
    Leonid flying
    Leonid and his ship
    Leonid and his ship
    No Caption Provided

RED STAR!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Yay! I'm so glad he took the time to answer my questions. Lobdell, you da man!

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By blur1528

I'm am really glad that Scott Lobdell answered these questions. Seems like a great guy and hopefully an even better writer. He seems to want what we want and I am looking forward to each and every series he writes!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By the_tree

Yay, Scott answered my questions!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Eyz

It was great of him to took the time to answer all of these. I even took some time myself to read all those answers :P

Awesome tidbits here and there!

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Frobin
    I guess without revealing too much, can you say if the Teen Titans by George Perez and Marv Wolfman will still be in continuity? Or will the Teen Titans sort of be rebooted all together?
    My understanding is that all that stuff still happened!

That's nonsense ... or has to be nonsense! How would this be possible ... we've seen Victor Stone aka Cyborg in JLA (five years ago - still not Cyborg)... so how should all the adventures of the New Teen Titans still be continuitiy in the DCnU??????

Just face it ... it's a total reboot, there are no such thing as continuity in the new DCU ... all similarities with former DC characters are volitional, but the continuitiy is just an inventory, a big hypermarket, from which every writer can choose stuff and content to reestablish in the new patchwork DCU ...

So if you think about it - all that we know so far - in everyone's understanding: there is no stuff that still has happened!

TheLastLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By TheLastLantern

Hahaha the anser to my question made me laugh. You are a funny man Mr. Lobdell

Gambit1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gambit1969

Maybe Wally is dead like he was in Flashpoint. :(

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow the man has great respect for his fans, thats very reassuring in a way

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm satisfied with the answer he gave me.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmoothJammin

I'm all in.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheBlackHood

@ninjacommando said:

That outfit was one of Jason's bad life choices!

I really liked his answer for that. One of my problems with Morrison on pretty much anything since X-men is that he seems to go out of his way to make things strange and a little awkward. Red Hood's outfit in Batman and Robin was another example of that along with the whole "Batman made me dye my hair so I looked more like Dick" garbage.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheBlackHood

I am really happy that he answered my question and gave as much information as he did. Big Thanks to Comicvine for setting this up, it was very cool!.

RareCheshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RareCheshire

@Trodorne: @BlackArmor: Yes! Yes! Yes!

spineyLamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By spineyLamb

Hm... Cassie having stolen objects to get the powers that she does... a lot of thoughts come to mind for me... it sort of sucks that she doesn't have any natural powers, 'cause once you take her toys away, then she's just like Robin? Hell, maybe she can loan Robin her gauntlet sometime? :P Or get him his own! But I have faith in Scott's ideas, so guess I'll see how this new play on Cassie's powers play out. I hope it flows, 'cause I really like her!

tbpinkfloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tbpinkfloyd

I'm still confused...Was Jason ever Robin after all? There's been vague hinting that he never was...

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dedpool

VERY COOL> I'm guessing Wonder Girl was still associated with WW through her mother, and she stole the gauntlets and sandals and such, and is now hiding from WW.

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will jason be an anti hero or a 100% villain like deathstroke

WhiteLightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WhiteLightning

I hope you answer my questions (lol)!

1.) Will Tim still have his trademark bo staff?

2.) What did Tim's Robin costume look like? Did he have one or two (One with green, red yellow, other with red black yellow ie )

3.) Is Tim still Bruce's adopted son?

4.) Don/t you think Tim with an all yellow cape would have looked way awesomer than a black/yellow cape? (Red Hood and the Outlaws#3 +Red Robin 10 covers are perfect examples of badass all-yellow capes.)

Thanks Scott, you the bomb! P.S. I'm Peruvian... hee hee

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.