Follow

Scarlet Witch

Character » Scarlet Witch appears in 4412 issues.

The world knows Wanda Maximoff as the Scarlet Witch, with probability manipulation and reality-warping abilities. The twin sister of Quicksilver, mother to Wiccan and Speed, and ex-wife of the Vision; Wanda has taken on many roles throughout her life but will forever be known for causing the Decimation.

Who likes the Scarlet Witch?

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By Hawkeye446

Personally Wanda is one of my favourite characters, but I often notice that many people hate/dislike her. Whether this be because of House of M, or any other reason. So do you like her?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

I find her interesting. I haven't read enough of her to actually like her.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hawkeye446
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    "I find her interesting. I haven't read enough of her to actually like her. "

Fair enough, what have you read with her in it, excluding House of M?
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By John Valentine

I find her really quite interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed House of M. I would like to see some form of revenge/payback against her, however. She's the X-Men's/mutantkind's greatest enemy; she's wiped out the greatest number of mutants (maybe besides Cassandra Nova), ever.

I'm not sure if this is being addressed in Children's Crusade?
    Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hawkeye446
    @John Valentine:
    No, it isn't really. Wolverine wants revenge by death, but everyone else is sorta "meh." I disagree with you when you say you think she needs punishment. I mean, she wasn't completely sane... Obviously. Have you read Avengers Disassembled?
    VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By VIZION2011

Sane or not I would like her better if she was mentally stable for fought beings on a more cosmic scale. That's the problem with marvel, the give all of there most powerful beings major mental issue's to keep them normal. Why don't they just accept it and keep them bad ass. You don't see superman going crazy like sentry or wonder woman going crazy like Wanda. I would like her better as a major character with no mental issue's fighting along side marvels greatest and using her powers against comics threats showing greater control.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " I find her interesting. I haven't read enough of her to actually like her. "
    This.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_
    @Hawkeye446
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Nothing, actually. I've been meaning to pick up Childrens Crusade, though.
    Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hawkeye446
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Hawkeye446
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Nothing, actually. I've been meaning to pick up Childrens Crusade, though. "

Have you read the original Young Avengers story? Anyway Children's crusade is good, but sort of weird when it comes to Wanda. Her Volumes with Vision are nice if you want to read her earlier stuff, same with the original Avengers volume. 
    Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Iron_Lad
    @John Valentine:
    I'm hoping they'll address this issue by the end of Chidlren's Crusade. As far as revenge, I think she's suffered enough, losing her kids and going insane. I'm hoping that Wiccan and Speed will be the catalysts for Wanda's return and provide her with some stability in the future so that she can go back to being a recurring character again in the MU.
    Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hawkeye446
    @Iron_Lad said:
    " @John Valentine: I'm hoping they'll address this issue by the end of Chidlren's Crusade. As far as revenge, I think she's suffered enough, losing her kids and going insane. I'm hoping that Wiccan and Speed will be the catalysts for Wanda's return and provide her with some stability in the future so that she can go back to being a recurring character again in the MU. "

I agree, I am tired of only reading Wanda in Flashbacks...

@VIZION2010 said:

"

Sane or not I would like her better if she was mentally stable for fought beings on a more cosmic scale. That's the problem with marvel, the give all of there most powerful beings major mental issue's to keep them normal. Why don't they just accept it and keep them bad ass. You don't see superman going crazy like sentry or wonder woman going crazy like Wanda. I would like her better as a major character with no mental issue's fighting along side marvels greatest and using her powers against comics threats showing greater control.

"

But if she was completely sane, then she would have wiped out a complete species practacally.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator

Wanda is one of my all time favorite characters. I have read her all though out her X-Men year as a villain to Avengers as a hero, though her mini series (they might have been on-goings originally) with Vision, her low and high points, various places she turned up (loved her in X-Men First Class and how they retconned her and Jean being friends somewhat) (oh and I caught the tail end of Mutant Zero thing too lol) and just yeah. All though and the behind the scenes of Marvel, and Avengers Disassembled and House of M and how and why I can't divorce those stories from reality and now I am super excited about Children's Crusade. 

Wanda is one of Marvels best characters, but also as far as characters used to serve the plot for other characters and writers stories... just yeah. Not that these things are ever done out of spite or maliciousness, but still. Many decisions that have affected her seem like lazy storytelling (or viewing readers as dumb, and hey, maybe we are) Weird fact of Trivia? One of Wanda's biggest fans that was also a pro in the industry? As in he drew her for Avengers books? Use to crush on her in a funny way so expressed his feelings by... letting her fly free. So to speak. 

Oh and I really liked her pairing with Vision and what's happening in Children's Crusade. 
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By pixelized

I really enjoyed Wanda as a Force Works/West Coast Avenger along with Arachne. Things were simpler, she had a better demeanor about her. Now, I kind of dread/cringe whenever Wandy pops up in a panel, as we know it's not going to end well for someone.

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By A_O_N

I've only read her in Children's Crusade. But, I don't see what's not to like ;|

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like her

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I like Wanda.

thewidowsbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thewidowsbite

I love Wanda. Her story is pretty unique and I find her powers amazing. I feel Marvel almost ruined her character with House of M and I'm hoping she will be redeemed. I'd love to see some team ups with her family (sons included), and maybe have her rejoin the Avengers. I always loved watching her on X-Men Evoltuion and, though it wasn't as good as evolution, I also enjoyed seeing her on Wolverine and the X-Men (I especially loved her relationship and interactions with Nightcrawler). I wish Wolverine and the X-Men went on so that we could have seen the introduction of Nocturne.
    Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Belladonna

I love her <3

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hawkeye446

@SC: I was waiting for your comment. You ARE quite the fan aren't you, and I agree she is definetly one of Marvels best charcters!    

@pixelized:
    I have been meaning to read that run, but I am still stuck at the beginning of West Coast.

@thewidowsbite:

Yes Yes YES! When will Wanda return to the Avengers! I dislike the current team, its just a group of Marvels biggest characters.. Steve Rogers is still hanging around, and hes not even on the team!?

Whoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Whoa
    @Hawkeye446: Hey I just have a question, what would your response be if you were asked if Scarlet was an X-Man or an Avenger? And how would you prove your point?
    thesuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thesuperman

i think she is boring
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#22  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Not sure is her mainstream version used her powers in the same way, but I personally liked how Ultimate Scarlet Witch was written in the Ultimates and Ultimates 2, having her hex abilities controlled by doing probabilities and having to "do the math" right was an interesting way to describe her powers.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daredevil21134

I like her, I just hate her relationship with Vision

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#24  Edited By StarKiller809

I want to like her but I got really confused with Avengers Disassembled and House of M. I guess if I saw a time line I would her better. I also feel that Marvel always makes bad decisions with her.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hawkeye446
    @Whoa said:
    @Hawkeye446: Hey I just have a question, what would your response be if you were asked if Scarlet was an X-Man or an Avenger? And how would you prove your point?
    I would easily say she is an Avenger. Sure, she has had her mix-ins with the X-Men. Her father is a massive player in the X-Men, she is a mutant, and she first appeared in the X-Men etc, etc. However, being a massive fan of the old Avengers, I have read through many of the stories. The Scarlet Witch's place has ALWAYS been on the Avengers. The point is inarguable. Like Hawkeye and her brother, she joined very early, and from then, she has been one of the biggest players on the team. Although she had less of a part to play within the mainstay avengers during the 90's, she had moved to West Coast Avengers and Force Works etc. Not to mention that one of the biggest things that ever happened to her was her marriage to the Vision.  

Aside from her occasional mention as being the daughter of Magneto, the only big part she has played with the X-Men was when she was part of the Brotherhood (in which she was essentially a good guy) and when she was involved in House of M (which was really a follow on from Avengers disassembled).  

If you don't think I have enough reasoning, please say so.
    KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By KDarkholme

I just read her little series and she is an interesting character. People dislike because of the whole M-Day event.

Im trying to find some Avengers so I can read some more about her.

astrid12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By astrid12

I like her, and I found her House of M scenario very, VERY interesting, if only it had been executed more properly during Disassembled, I mean, a mother's loss is a gold mine for character development, add to that children that she created herself...there you have the best, I just wish they would have focused a bit more on that aspect

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Inverno

I was starting to like her just before Disassembled and then M-Day happened :-(

I still like her though.

Aheld92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aheld92

She's my Favorite Avenger, and at least top 5 Favorite superheroes.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's one of my favorite superheroines. She can sometimes be written to be bland, so it really depends on the writer. Certain writers focus more on her powers and less on her personality.

@daredevil21134 said:

I like her, I just hate her relationship with Vision

@War Killer said:

Not sure is her mainstream version used her powers in the same way, but I personally liked how Ultimate Scarlet Witch was written in the Ultimates and Ultimates 2, having her hex abilities controlled by doing probabilities and having to "do the math" right was an interesting way to describe her powers.

I agree on both points.

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RogueOracle

She's an interesting character, but her powers confuse the hell out of me sometimes.

CJStriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CJStriker

I have a VERY High Opinion of Scarlet Witch, Wanda Maximoff Right now.!! =)

After all she has been threw, She has a Will of IRON that is Unbelievable to me. I Respect and Admired the Scarlet Witch to the Highest Degree I can Give and Have for any Comic Book Character. Truly a 1 in a Million character, totally Unique! =)

No Caption Provided
    x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33  Edited By x_29

@CJStriker said:

I have a VERY High Opinion of Scarlet Witch, Wanda Maximoff Right now.!! =)

After all she has been threw, She has a Will of IRON that is Unbelievable to me. I Respect and Admired the Scarlet Witch to the Highest Degree I can Give and Have for any Comic Book Character. Truly a 1 in a Million character, totally Unique! =)

No Caption Provided

Amen

nerd217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By nerd217

Dunno, I'm undecided. House of M was awesome but I don't really like her personality and she's so tense and mentally ... brokeny.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By x_29

@nerd217 said:

Dunno, I'm undecided. House of M was awesome but I don't really like her personality and she's so tense and mentally ... brokeny.

Does this help a little?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Blood1991

I like Wanda.

BigMaraSpence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BigMaraSpence

I like the idea of SW, but I feel like she has been tugged in some extreme directions by writers (most recently in AvX). I'm hoping that Uncanny Avengers re-solidifies her character, because I can't have a concrete opinion on a character that is too malleable.

Obviously, you can say most comic characters have been treated similarly to what I just described, but for some reason SW seems more prominent in that area to me. Just personal opinion overriding logic.

GillaDro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GillaDro

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By x_29

While i do like Wanda, she is not one of my favorite characters nor is she my least favorite. Mainly because i do not have much prior knowledge or experience with the character other than the cartoons, children's crusade, and reading about House of M. I will say that i do find the characters road to redemption interesting and compelling. In regards to the mixed to negative reaction towards her as of late, I say that they are allowed to feel what they feel. I do not fully agree with most of them but to each their own. I am honestly looking forward to see her in Reminder's Uncanny Avengers.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I liked her before she became an all-powerful living plot device

Josh983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.