Follow

Scarlet Witch

Character » Scarlet Witch appears in 4412 issues.

The world knows Wanda Maximoff as the Scarlet Witch, with probability manipulation and reality-warping abilities. The twin sister of Quicksilver, mother to Wiccan and Speed, and ex-wife of the Vision; Wanda has taken on many roles throughout her life but will forever be known for causing the Decimation.

Off My Mind: How Did Scarlet Witch Mess Up "No More Mutants"?

• 93 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

With three little words, Scarlet Witch changed the face of the Marvel Universe. After becoming unstable with her powers, a group of heroes, including Avengers and X-Men decided Scarlet Witch's powers were too dangerous. She was out of control. She caused too much damage and death. When it seemed they were going to simply kill her, Quicksilver convinced her to change the world and we saw House of M. At the end is when she uttered the words, "No more mutants" and things haven't been the same since.

No Caption Provided
    Looks like it didn't go according to plan. I've brought this up before. She may have said "No more mutants" but what really happened was "not as many mutants." We saw the number " 198" as indicating how many mutants were left. If she meant to get rid of all mutants, how come some remained? 
     == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    With Avengers: Children's Crusadecoming out this week, perhaps we'll get some answers. She had the power to change the world. She did change the world. She just didn't change it in the way she said she was going to. We also saw at the end of House of M that Wanda was alive and well living a normal life. Clint found her after his return from the dead and found she apparently had no recollection of her previous life. Living a normal life and not aware that she has any powers, what went wrong with her last spell? Why did she not succeed in getting rid of all the mutants in the world?

I'm really hoping we'll get some answers in Children's Crusade. I'm not really sure what the future will hold for Scarlet Witch. She did some really "bad things" and became too powerful. She may have forgotten what she did but I can't imagine it'd take much for her to remember. Also, I don't think we ever really saw Magneto's reaction to Wanda's changing the fate of mutants. Will she change things back to normal? Is that why she didn't follow through with ridding the entire Marvel Universe of mutants? We need some answers! For the sake of those mutants remaining, let's hope she doesn't freak out again.

No Caption Provided
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DH69

im just glad my fav superheroine is comin back, but yeah she definetly did a number on the mutant pop :P,  to me "no more mutants" has never been anything but an off handed remark she made at the edge of sanity, out of pure desperation, not a intentional hey "x-gene go **** yourself" hail mary pass. cant wait to see how crusade is going to address these problems. hopefully they can manage to keep the story interesting for the next 18 months

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

Wanda's spell was an attempt by Marvel to reduce the number of mutants because there were too many. Obviously Marvel wasn't thinking of completely eradicating mutants because we wouldn't be talking about the X-Men right now. As for an in-universe explanation, maybe someone interfered with Wanda's spell. Someone like the Phoenix Force. Because if you think of it, Hope was born almost immediately after the Decimation and we all know that Hope has a connection with the Phoenix Force.
    Raven117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Raven117

Why try to figure out perhaps the most case of bad writing in the last ten years of Marvel?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Isn't that a bit under the assumption that the remaining mutants was Wanda's actions and not the part of another force preventing the utter annihilation of mutant kind?
    I remember reading that Iceman actually protected himself someway from Wanda's actions. He thought he had lost his powers, but they were actually just locked away in an unconscious act of self preservation.

There was also the fact that new mutants weren't being born. No children were being born with the X-Gene until Hope. I believe that was in X-Men Supernovas. That little fact may cause some issues later down the line when they try to introduce new mutants from Hope's generation later down the line. Though, it's not like Marvel writers haven't danced around plot holes before.

I always found it weird how Wanda flipped out over not having a child. So, adoption was out of the question?? I would of thought it would be part of Hope's destiny that she was to reverse the House of M events. Otherwise, what is the point of having a "mutant messiah"?

@Raven117 said:

" Why try to figure out perhaps the most case of bad writing in the last ten years of Marvel? "

OMD/BND tops them all in my book as worst writing in Marvel.
    Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

Well Wanda did mean No More Mutants she wanted rid of what she was because  Magneto killed Quicksilver. She saw what all the Mutant stereotype's feared about her people because of the damage caused at House Of M. Why this didn't depower  every single mutant is still a mystery 
    Hopefully everything will be explained in Children Crusade  

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kerukun878
    @FoxxFireArt: You're entirely right about the Bobby thing; he WOULD have been depowered, but he wouldn't allow himself to be.

And I think it'll be a mix of Hope / Wanda reversing HoM.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By doordoor123

marvel has a habit of leaving unexplained holes. I know you want to know why there are still mutants left after what she said, but it wont be explained. I promise you. If this was DC it might be explained eventually because DC is always really tight with stories.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Um it could be her subconscious wouldn't allow her to completely rid the world of mutants because she herself is a mutant. 

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kerukun878
    @doordoor123: Or it could be that, you know, they plan to do it at a later date.
    Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bloodstonefreak
    @Raven117 said:
    " Why try to figure out perhaps the most case of bad writing in the last ten years of Marvel? "
    I really don't think it was bad writing.  Writer's are supposed to constantly keep the reader's guessing until all is revealed.  Having no explanation for there being "some" mutants after Wanda said "No more mutants" simply states that there can be more to the story.  That's one of the great things about comics, things being revealed over time and it's been proven to keep the comic industry going year after year (look at us nowadays in a world of technology and we're still reading pieces of paper stapled together with words and pictures on them).  :-)
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Comiclove5

Lets also hope wiccan doesn't go crazy to because that could mean something far worse could happen.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    Did she actually mean "no more mutants at all" or just "no more mutants than there are now"?
    The only new mutnat birth since has been Hope after all. (Which makes no sense since any geek knows mutation kicks in at puberty :P )

I seem to remember it was only the mutants present when Wanda said no more mutants who kept their powers. Maybe it was "no more mutants than this crowd of currently popular and in use mutants and a few more lame mutants for the lame 198 mini series we'll maybe claim were in the background here"
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DH69
    @Comiclove5 said:
    "Lets also hope wiccan doesn't go crazy to because that could mean something far worse could happen. "

well they've stated that this may be the last run for the young avengers, so who knows
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Raven117 said:

@doordoor123 said:

" marvel has a habit of leaving unexplained holes. I know you want to know why there are still mutants left after what she said, but it wont be explained. I promise you. If this was DC it might be explained eventually because DC is always really tight with stories. "

Think for joining. Even if it was only to Marvel bash.
    Could you please justify DC's constant continuity reboots for me? 
    XXX
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Wasn't it stated that any mutant that had time traveled or been chronally displaced was immune to Wanda's spell?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Magian
    @Jake Fury said:
    "Wasn't it stated that any mutant that had time traveled or been chronally displaced was immune to Wanda's spell? "

I remember something like that mutants from other realites and time travellers weren't affected, so yes.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Jake Fury said:
    " Wasn't it stated that any mutant that had time traveled or been chronally displaced was immune to Wanda's spell? "
    Sounds similar to what I thought I read about it.
    I thought it was anyone in a certain proximity the event in House of M.
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By ninjadude853

not all the mutants were "un-mutified" because that would essentially end one of marvel's most profitable franchises

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Thunderscream

i thought that Dr. Strange and Emma Frost cast an astral shield and could only protect so many mutants...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

i do agree that having mutants outnumber the human population was too much but i hated that a lot of mutants i liked got depowered and tossed out there had to be another way to get the mutant population down to a reasonable level without making the avengers look like complete hypocrites cause lets face it if doom or kang did what she and quicksilver did they wouldn't stop till they paid for it but one of their own gets a pass at near genocide. id be intrested to see the general public of the marvel u's reaction to this actually

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kerukun878
    @Gylan Thomas: Or anyone chronally displaced from continuity such as Jean Grey, Psylocke, Maddie Pryor, Bishop, Cable, and Rachel Summers at the time.
    Raven117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Raven117
    @Bloodstonefreak: 

Bendis was told by Quesada to reduce the number of mutants, thus it was done, they gave an explanation remember?  It's MAGIC... we don't have to explain it. -JQ

Almost ten years is not good writing, plot building, or anything else. Fans like you actually believe these guys know what they were doing when clearly, from this to OMD to Captain Marvel being a skrull, they don't know what they are doing they are simply winging it, or at least they were for the first seven years. It usually takes another writer coming in and fixing their mistakes like Fraction did with Iron Man.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Raven117: yea the captain marvel skrull thing pissed me off
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @kerukun878: 
    Wasn't Jean dead again by House of M?
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kerukun878
    @Gylan Thomas: No, she was(and still is) in the White Hot Room.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @joshmightbe said:
    " i do agree that having mutants outnumber the human population was too much but i hated that a lot of mutants i liked got depowered and tossed out there had to be another way to get the mutant population down to a reasonable level without making the avengers look like complete hypocrites cause lets face it if doom or kang did what she and quicksilver did they wouldn't stop till they paid for it but one of their own gets a pass at near genocide. id be intrested to see the general public of the marvel u's reaction to this actually "
    There was no "near genocide".
    Wanda took their powers. A few may have died due to circumstance at the time they were depowered but Wanda didn't directly choose to kill anyone.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Gylan Thomas: she's still responsible for their deaths in the same way a drunk bus driver is responsible for the deaths of people on the side walk sure he didn't want to kill them but his actions are still responsible
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @joshmightbe: 
    I agree.
    However to say it was near genocide is inaccurate.
    Nowhere near enough died for it to be genocide.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Gylan Thomas: ok genocide is overstating it but it was still definatly something her and her brother should've been punished for
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dondasch
    @Gylan Thomas: This all depends on what your definition of is, is. :)  This frankly seems a mess to me.  I'm glad that Im reading something interesting like the Thanos Imperative, and consequently re reading the Infinity Guantlet
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @dondasch: 
    "This all depends on what your definition of is, is. :) "

Huh? :P
    :D
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Comiclove5 said:
    " Lets also hope wiccan doesn't go crazy to because that could mean something far worse could happen. "
    That' exactly what I was thinking... Wiccan has his mother's powers add this guy plus Wanda and the world implodes!

I always thought "No More Mutants" meant no more can be born, the de-powering was just a bonus side effect for the rest leaving 198...
    Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Icemizer

No more mutants was another poorly thought out idea by the creative team and those in charge over at marvel. But it seems whenever they need an out they use magic so they dont have to really explain everything. Wasnt Marvel supposed to the be the "more real' universe where this type of thing didnt take place? Then within a few years two of their top series, Spiderman and the X-men were horribley altered by magical means. 

From a story perspective perhaps some of the mutants that survived had a secondary ability that made them resistant to magic or having anticipated someone using magic against them had constructed a wall of spells to protect them from just such an occurance. Some of the mutants could have been her friends whom she did not want to see hurt by what she was about to do. Still others could have been off-world or off dimension during the event. A couple might not even be true mutants at all but have had something else happen to them(Spiderman/FF and the whole mutant vs mutated arguement)and so were not affected. 
    I believe that her mind at the moment she said the fatefull words was working no where near 100% and so some, for the reasons I and others have stated, survived.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Magian

I would like Marvel to tell us how many mutants were still powered after the Decimation and not be so vague about it.

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hero vs. villian

It was Jow Quesada. At the time, he had Bendis do this cause he thought there were too many mutants in the Marvel U, so he had it put out in this arc, so in cases like this, it was the personal politics of Joey Q, or the beliefs of teh creators. :(

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joe Venom

As long as the answer to one the problems isn't Wiccan shouting,
     "I want more Mutants!
    I want more Mutants!
    I want more Mutants!" 
    I just might check out this Children's Crusade

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Comiclove5
    @sora_thekey said:
    " @Comiclove5 said:
    " Lets also hope wiccan doesn't go crazy to because that could mean something far worse could happen. "
    That' exactly what I was thinking... Wiccan has his mother's powers add this guy plus Wanda and the world implodes!  I always thought "No More Mutants" meant no more can be born, the de-powering was just a bonus side effect for the rest leaving 198... "
    Yeah, that would be the end
    Actaully their are more then 198 because that number is only includes the mutants they found. There very well could be more out there.
    Mr.Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mr.Grey

Maybe no more mutants doesn't mean that there are no more mutants but that Wanda is done with mutants, hence her new life.  Like when you drink to much and your huggin the toilet going "no more beer", meaning your done drinking not that you want to end beers existence.

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bandito
    @ComicMan24 said:
    "

I would like Marvel to tell us how many mutants were still powered after the Decimation and not be so vague about it.

"
    They tried.  They even put the number 198 in every issue for a year.  Then people did the math and realized they miscounted.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Magian
    @Bandito said:
    " @ComicMan24 said:
    "

"
    They tried.  They even put the number 198 in every issue for a year.  Then people did the math and realized they miscounted. "
    198 was an approximation. Those were the mutants they could find.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DEGRAAF

i thought the reason those select mutants didnt get depowered was because they figured out what was going on (the alternate universe Wanda created) and so they were some how nullified from the effects, also i thought they had a mutant girl with them that knew everything that was going on and could change it back to normal for the small few around her.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Magian
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " i thought the reason those select mutants didnt get depowered was because they figured out what was going on (the alternate universe Wanda created) and so they were some how nullified from the effects, also i thought they had a mutant girl with them that knew everything that was going on and could change it back to normal for the small few around her. "
    I think you are referring  to Layla Miller. It could be a possibility.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @ComicMan24: i try to keep up with them as much as possible but i seem to miss issues every now and then but that is the one thing i remember.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Magian
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @ComicMan24: i try to keep up with them as much as possible but i seem to miss issues every now and then but that is the one thing i remember. "
    With all these comics is hard on everybody to keep track.
    Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bloodstonefreak
    @Raven117 said:
    " @Bloodstonefreak:   Bendis was told by Quesada to reduce the number of mutants, thus it was done, they gave an explanation remember?  It's MAGIC... we don't have to explain it. -JQ  Almost ten years is not good writing, plot building, or anything else. Fans like you actually believe these guys know what they were doing when clearly, from this to OMD to Captain Marvel being a skrull, they don't know what they are doing they are simply winging it, or at least they were for the first seven years. It usually takes another writer coming in and fixing their mistakes like Fraction did with Iron Man. "
    I'm not saying they know what they're doing.  I said in my previous post that there "can" be more stories if others want there to be.  So what that they don't have the whole thing figured out, this enables others to add their twists and turns.  Again, it's like I said in my previous post, the writer's job is to keep the reader's guessing and what better way to do so than to take a bite of something and continue passing it around.

And I'm not a fan of all these stories, either.  I personally hate OMD and BND, but let the entire story play itself out whether they have everything planned or not.  We may hate what's being done, but we keep reading don't we (or at least keep checking back).  That's what they want.  :-)
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46  Edited By lorex

The Decimation was a ploy by the editorial staff to reduce the number of mutants in the marvel universe. This was done so the "Heroes" would not have to deal with the ever growing mutant population around the world. Admittedly the same editors had allowed the number of mutants to grow into into millions so this and the destruction of Genoshia were heavy handed ways to prune back their numbers. And things have been great for mutants since, oh wait except if you count every nut job and freak mutant hater since then has smelt the blood in the water and has been gunning for them.

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#47  Edited By Aspenite

Three little can mean so much...not just her words...

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @ComicMan24: yea, I know they are supposed to come out every month but it seems like they are more random then that and just come out whenever they have time to complete an issue
    A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#49  Edited By A-Strondinaire

It is weird how just those certain few got passes but hopefully she pays for what she did it may not be genocide or decimation but she rid some people of their identity, either way Marvel has dug a hole for themselves and it's going to take a long time to dig themselves out unless this new Generation Hope Arc has her going around giving people's powers back or they just give us a magical deus ex machina;  
    Scarlet Witch: Now that you have seen real suffering and pain X-men it's time to return your "Mutant Population" or some disney magic crap along that line

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Magian
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @ComicMan24: yea, I know they are supposed to come out every month but it seems like they are more random then that and just come out whenever they have time to complete an issue "
    Delays can be annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.