Follow

Scarecrow

Character » Scarecrow appears in 1536 issues.

Utilizing a fear-inducing gas known as fear toxin, Jonathan Crane preys upon the people of Gotham City as the villainous Scarecrow.

Does Joker's Laughing Gas effect Scarecrow?

AquaDCman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AquaDCman

Well fear gas doesn't effect Joker and Scarecrow doesn't have any emotions as in Love, or Humor.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Why would Joker's laughing gas be based on emotion? Actual laughing gas has nothing to do with making someone happy.

AquaDCman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AquaDCman

@xerox_kitty: Uh this is a comic book. Not real life, so laughing gas is somewhat different from Joker compared to like a dentist.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Daveyo520

@AquaDCman said:

@xerox_kitty: Uh this is a comic book. Not real life, so laughing gas is somewhat different from Joker compared to like a dentist.

Still Jokers laughing gas does not work on emotion. It is just a chemical that makes your body laugh and die, not make you laugh out of happiness.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

I would imagine that Scarecrow would have built up some sort of immunity to gases/chemicals such as Joker's laughing gas.

Avatar image for dr__jonathan_crane
    Dr. Jonathan Crane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambit1024

Remember, though, that Scarecrow is fairly often defeated by being gassed with his own fear toxin. It happens less often in the comics than it does in film and TV shows, but it happens and he is affected. If he would be immune to any toxin, it would be his own, and he's not immune to that.

@AquaDCman

We haven't seen Joker gas Scarecrow recently, at least not since Scarecrow became deadened to all emotion (although I agree with most people here that Joker's toxin isn't usually portrayed as actually affecting emotion).

However, there was a short-lived Joker comics series in 1975 and '76. It only lasted nine issues, but in #8, Joker and Scarecrow were fighting and it ended with Joker gassing him with a non-lethal variant of his trademark toxin as he thought Scarecrow was being too much of a fuddy-duddy. This gas did affect Scarecrow, who was left giggling foolishly for law enforcement to pick up.

But keep in mind that the idea that Scarecrow doesn't experience any emotion is a fairly recent development. What's more, we haven't seen if it applies any more in the new DC reboot universe.

JokerFanHAhaHA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JokerFanHAhaHA

I have no clue about the Scarecrow being immune to Joker toxin, and I don't know if it's cannon or not, but I do remember reading either in a DC book or on his page on here that Joker is immune to most toxins and poisons, including Scarecrows toxin.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz

I think it does, I am pretty sure it is mentioned somewhere

batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By batman11223

yes it would effect him. Johnathon crane crane is only immune to his own fear toxin. jokers laugh toxin is a totally different substance.

RUKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RUKM

what about the iteration of scarecrows mask that comes with a gas mask... so i don't think it would

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.