Sareena is a demon who made her first appearance in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero as a non-playable boss character. She was first playable in Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition for the Game Boy Advance and later in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
Sareena was once one of Quan Chi's three personal assassins ordered to kill Sub-Zero before he reached Quan Chi. In Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, she is "fractionally faster and a more accomplished fighter than her fellow assassins." After being spared by Sub-Zero, she assists him in defeating Quan Chi. After expressing her desire to escape the Netherrealm with him, she is shot in the back by Shinnok. As it is later revealed in Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition the attack destroyed her human form and that her essence was then banished as punishment for her betrayal.
After years of torture, Sareena discovered the portal Quan Chi and Scorpion used to escape the Netherrealm shortly before Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. Going through the portal she is transported to Outworld where she later discovered a way to restore her human form without Quan Chi's magic by absorbing the energy of the realm.
Shortly after regaining her human form she encounters the younger Sub-Zero; the brother of the one she met before. Feeling he owed her for helping his brother, Sub-Zero grants her sanctuary with the Lin Kuei back on Earthrealm. Sub-Zero gave Sareena a small metallic object that would guide her access to the hidden Lin Kuei temple.
Sub-Zero and Sareena spot two dark figures leaving Shao Kahn's fortress, it was Sub-Zero's brother Noob Saibot and his good friend Smoke, the two disappeared into the Netherealm. Sub-Zero ordered Sareena to wait for him at the Lin Kuei temple as he ventured after the two, however Noob and Smoke knew they were being followed and attacked Sub-Zero in the Netherealm. It appeared the Grandmaster was overpowered and doomed until Sareena jumped in fending off Sub-Zero's would be assassins but not before Sub-Zero was left unconscious, but upon waking Sareena had reverted back to her demonic form, dazed and still very confused Sub-Zero attacked and Sareena fled to the depths of the Netherrealm, not wanting to harm him.
However, Noob Saibot, Smoke, and her former master Quan Chi, who demanded she provide them information about the Lin Kuei, later attacked her. At first Sareena refused, determined to remain loyal to Sub-Zero. But Quan Chi then cast his dark sorcery upon her, returning her to her human form and then convincing her that she can never be good and that she is simply a pure evil demon. Swayed by Quan Chi's corruption, she agreed to serve him once again.
Sareena, Kia and Jataaka are ordered by Quan Chi to kill Taven. The three assassins are defeated by Taven, however Sareena was freed from Quan Chi's control.
"Blaze had dissipated, but the power he had released flowed into Sareena. She lay unconscious atop the pyramid until Sub-Zero revived her. Examining her hands, she found that she had gained the ability...to freeze. Sareena confronted her old master, Quan Chi, and froze him solid. She and Sub-Zero hid the sorcerer in the Lin Kuei temple, where he will remain forever suspended in a block of ice."
- Throwing Kama: Sareena throws a kama at the opponent.
- Spin: Sareena spins in a circle while holding her kamas, striking the opponent with a kama when close enough.
- Cartwheel: Sareena performs a cartwheel at her opponent, kicking them on impact.
- Fire Skull: Sareena fires a skull engulfed in purplish-pink flames.
- Skull Bash: Sareena thrusts forward extremely fast, smashing her opponent in the head.
- 5-Star Kick: Sareena thrusts forward with her leg extended and if she makes contact, she will kick the opponent 5 times before they back flip to the ground.
- Gut Buster: Sareena charges her fist, then shoots forward with a powerful punch that knocks her opponent back.
- Throwing Knife: Sareena swiftly throws a large knife at her opponent.
- Whirlwind of Doom: Sareena kicks the opponent's head multiple times then she does a back-flip kick and finishes her opponent off by punching the opponent through their chest.