Follow

San Diego Comic-Con

Location » San Diego Comic-Con appears in 49 issues.

San Diego Comic Con is the biggest gathering of Comic goodness that happens each year.

In Defense of Cosplay...

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
      Mojo was one of the highlights for C2E2.
     Mojo was one of the highlights for C2E2.

A week or so ago, I had a great time covering LA’s AX 2010 for Anime Vice. By far, what I enjoyed the most about the show was the seemingly-endless menagerie of cosplayers in attendance (and you can see my pictures here.) Going to a convention in this capacity definitely gave me a new perspective on the comic cons I’ve gotten so used to. Specifically, it makes me even more baffled about how much negative sentiment about cosplaying I’ve heard from fans and pros alike. You’d figure people who enjoy comics about larger-than-life characters would also enjoy being surrounded by larger-than-life characters. I probably won’t ever wear a costume, myself, but I know cons would be a lot less fun if nobody else would.  Sheesh… take them away and what do you have? Plain, ordinary people… just like you see every other day of your life.  Sure, there can be lame, half-assed “costumes.” Who cares? The good ones demonstrate a truly inspiring the amount of craft and creativity.  

As I’ve said, “mainstream culture” can have an awfully long list of hobbies it says are only suitable for children. But what’s really worse than that is hobbyists of one “fringe” poo-pooing hobbyists of another. For the amount of narrow-mindedness that comic fandom has to put up with, you'd think more fans would be open-minded about this kind of thing... yet the snide comments keep popping up. == TEASER ==

Comic Con’s racing around the corner and, while I’ll be up to my neck in things to do, I'm looking forward to feeling like I'm stepping into another world; I'm looking forward to seeing another parade of larger-than-life characters. How many of you Comic Vine maniacs are going to SDCC? How many are you planning to dress up?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Can't say i would go in a costume myself but nine time out of ten i'd be wearing a comic related T shirt at cons i go to. It really would be a lot less colorfull at them if the cosplayers wern't around, Fair play to them.

wooodude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By wooodude1

I do cosplay when i go to all the cons last year at comic con I did Doc Manhattan with a blue muscle suit & a V-string 

Good times.....

arivin923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By arivin923

Costumers represent! I'll be there as Bucky, Speedy, and Larfleeze! :D

mistrx75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mistrx75

While I never dress up much myself, I love seeing those who put in the effort.  Wouldn't mind being part of the 501st someday though...

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bruce Vain

I'm not one to dress at cons too much , but when I do I go for something different that I haven't seen yet. Like at Comic Con this year I'll be Casey Jones.  

My buddy and I are gonna work on a Scarebeast costume for him for hopefully Dragoncon.
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Meteorite

I've (unfortunately) never been to a Comic Con, but when I eventually go to one, I plan to go as Nate Grey.

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icemizer

I love some of the creativity of the costumes at the cons. What I dont like is when the people wearing the costumes get upset because you want to take a picture with them. Hey pal if you didnt want to get asked that you shouldnt have dressed up like the Impossible Man.

UrmanitaRules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By UrmanitaRules
    @Omega Ray Jay:  Yeah same here, I love comic books but I wouldn't go that far
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @arivin923 said:
    " Costumers represent! I'll be there as Bucky, Speedy, and Larfleeze! :D "
    I wanna see this guys Larfleeze :D
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Comiclove5

I love cosplayers they're a bit inspiring
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

If you are a cos-player, you really should share your photos here! 
    I'm probably not going to make it out to Comic-Con. I've gone to Chicago's Wizard World maybe once. I've been to the Micro Con and Fall Con at the Fairgrounds in the Twin Cities. I went last year and was very impressed to see that a guy had put together an Alan Scott Green Lantern costume. I'm not one to wear costumes, but along with that one, there was a Guy Gardner as well. A year or two before, there was a guy as Superman that had a couple different costumes - traditional, Justice Lords, Death of and Returns...   

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By longbowhunter

I never get to go to Cons. I'd love to it just hasnt ever happened. I'd imagine Cosplayers being like previews before a good movie. You might not come there to see them, but you dont wanna miss 'em either.
    The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By The Jeff

I'm just going to say it, cosplayers are stupid. they lack normal social skills and spend too much time believing that they live in that fake world. when you talk to them it's sort of awkward. I know people who do this and they ignore real life issues to solely concentrate on cons

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By doordoor123

I cant go to SDCC this year but i one-hundred percent agree with you. Having cosplayers at conventions makes conventions what they are. I love going to conventions as much as i love going to Disneyland. And cosplayers are all part of the experience.
    P.S. See you wednesday maybe Tom. :)

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Decept-O

I agree, Mr. Pinchuk.   

I've only attended some small scale Midwest Cons and have only seen the standard Star Trek and Star Wars fan legions and their costumes, which are fine, but I yearn for the super heroes and villains!  

This is why I love the Con coverage ComicVine does, especially the SDCC.  CV does a great job providing video footage and pictures of plenty of people in their costumes, a lot of which look like they took quite a bit of effort to make.  I view their efforts as being artistic, it IS a form of self-expression.  

Regarding comments about cos-players being socially inept, well, that is probably true, but there are also a number of comic book geeks who fall in the exact same category who don't do the costume thing.    

Speaking of cos-play, I hope anyone reading this visits Amber, the Super Hero Stylist's page.  She makes some kick-ass costumes, has her own channel on YouTube, and does the best damn Firestar--ever!
    r3bB@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By r3bB@

Cosplayers (well, most of them) are cool. I appreciate all the time and effort they put in their costumes.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#17  Edited By EisforExtinction

I love cosplayers who try and do something different. I saw a great Yorick from Y: The Last Man with Ampersand, his cloak, and gas mask and I  couldn't have been more impressed. I think cosplay gets a bad rap sometimes because it's linked to every person dressing up as a Naruto character but the really good costumes are the original ones.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By A-Strondinaire

I'd never dress up but your right comicon wouldnt be the same without it. But the one's that poo-poo it they may be just jealous cause they don't have the guts to do it although there are those that just need to stay out of certain outfits

I rest my case
    I rest my case

Shipwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shipwreck

I been cosplaying Batman since I was five. Hated batgirl when I was little and everyone around me told me I had to be batgirl. Of course a kid doesn't understand why but batman was still way cooler.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By sora_thekey

How many of you Comic Vine maniacs are going to SDCC? How many are you planning to dress up?

I'm going so I want to know the same thing... Who else is going!?!
    I will be cosplaying in the Con but it's going to be very subtle So I will blend in on the floor... So don't expect much
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sexy_merc

The Japanese do it right. By the way I thought it said Coldplay for a sec.

THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

i luv seein costumes at cons. its part of tha convention experience, keep it up cosplayers. i havnt dressed up for any myself yet, but i always wear comic or video game related shirts.  i do plan on my first cosplay at C2E2 2011. i've got two costumes in tha works.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @A-Strondinaire:  You know, as painful as that is on the eyeballs, I'd still rather he wear that than a set of "normal" clothes which, judging by the smell, he's worn for three straight months without laundering. If I'm going to be stuck in an enclosed area with a group of people for the better part of a day, I'd much rather they neglect their costume-making skills than their personal hygiene.
    erichr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By erichr

Sometimes the costumes are aweful, but sometimes they're amazing. Last time I was at my city's con, some of the security guys were decked out in SG team gear, they looked like they just walked off the set. There was also a big group of people dressed like nearly the entire cast of Street Fighter 2. Not really comic related, but great costumes nonetheless. I actually find costumes from TV or movies end up working out better, probably because they've already been successfully implemented on the screen.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hdorman1

i have never been to a con 
    i might go to  warpcon in the west of ireland next year

Quest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Quest

i will probaly go to the new york comic con this or early next year don't fogot when it is but cosplayers are awsome but i am not going any time soon
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Magian  Online

I could never do that. Plus I've never been to a Comic-Con. There was one a couple of months ago in Athens but I wasn't able to go.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NightFang3

Thats pretty cool!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I took that Mojo picture, I demand a dollar.

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By No_name_here
    @inferiorego:  The dollar's wedged in one of Mojo's folds.
    The Wumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The Wumbo

there are people who dont like cosplay? how? they spice up every convention. Ive been to WonderCon the last two years and the costumes are as much a part of the conventions as the booths.Saw an amazing Nightcrawler and Angel this year.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Video_Martian

No Caption Provided
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Tom Pinchuk said:
    " @inferiorego:  The dollar's wedged in one of Mojo's folds. "
    Thanks Poncho....
    Are we still dressing up like the Wonder Twins for SDCC?
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I'm for good cosplay

xscarletkittie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By xscarletkittie

I enjoy cosplay. I went to my first con last year and the costumes really brought color and personality to the event. The well-done ones are amazing, but even the horrible ones can be fun. People cringe, sure, but you still talk about it and more than likely get a good laugh out of it. I don't think conventions would be the same without the cosplay.

Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37  Edited By CaptainCockblock

If anyone saw a kid around 15 running around SDCC last year dressed as the Comedian, that was me!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.