Follow

San Diego Comic-Con 2011

Concept » San Diego Comic-Con 2011 appears in 14 issues.

SDCC 2011 was held at the San Diego Convention Center from Wednesday July 20th to Sunday July 24th, 2011.

SDCC 2011: DC Green Lantern Panel Liveblog

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Should be a big panel! I'm sitting right next to Red Robin and his giant stick for this one, so if Red Robin is interested, you know it's going to be a great panel!

We'll be getting started any minute guys!

10:05- Eddie Berganza comes out to introduce the panel. Adam Schlagman comes out. Alan Burnett comes out. Peter Tomasi comes out. Ed Benes comes out. Geoff Johns comes out. Red Robin, who's sitting next to me, jokingly asks who he is. Now we're getting some clips from the Green Lantern show, which I missed. YAH!

10:07- I've seen the clip a couple times now, and it looks pretty darn cool. Eddie asks Geoff, "Where's Hal?" Geoff says he's gone. Geoff wants to take the book in a new direction and Sinestro is the way to do it. And we get to see him up against the Sinestro Corps. "He's not a good guy." says Geoff. "Don't let the Green suit fool you." We'll see Black Hand again with the Indigo Tribe and it's the creepiest story they've done. After that there will be a story called "The first lantern" about the first lanter which pre-dates the manhunters.

10:10- In Corps, Peter says the first issue will feature Guy and John against a smaller threat which turns out to be much bigger than they think and there will be an attack on many planets. They're showing panels from the first issue on the screen. I'm very excited for this run... and all Green Lantern runs.

== TEASER ==

10:15- New Guardians... Geoff makes the joke "We're announcing the Brown Lantern Corps." It will answer the question what's with all the lantern corps and it is led by Kyle Rayner. There's some weird things going on that will lead to how Kyle originally got the ring. Every Corps wants Kyle as their torchbearer. Red Lantern time! Ed Benes is here with his interpreter. Ed likes working with all the characters and the fact that's it's all action. The art is on the big screen. Looks awesome. Atrocitus is his favorite character. Red Robin, sitting next to me, told me he love Dex-Star. Flashpoint Abin Sur is now focused on. However, there is no new info. It was all covered during the Flashpoint panel.

10:17- Green Lantern Emerald Knights time... which came out a couple months ago. Alan Burnett discusses the project and the stories within the film. "It was crazy putting together" says Burnett. Geoff and Alan are working on a secret project together, related to Green Lantern. They can't give any info away.

10:20- Question time already! Q: How long has it been since Hal has seen his gf? A: Geoff says Hal in issue #1 isn't doing good on Earth. "You'll see Hal trying to do without the ring." Q: Anymore Black Ops GL stories? A: No... Geoff says "Never say never" but it doesn't sound promising. Q: To Benes: What new visual style will you bring to the Red Lantern series? A: Johns says that the Dex-Star Valentine's Day special will happen... back to Benes. He's still adpating his visual style to the book so he's not sure yet. He's adapting and trying to be more consistent. It smells like skunk in here.

10:25- Lots of really weird questions. Not so many news worthy ones. Q: Can I give Geoff something I made him? (Hope it's not a bomb) A: It's an Aquaman bracelet. And he will wear it. Q: Are the entities pissed off for being used? A: Johns says the Butcher is mad. The entities are in Peter Tomasi's book. Q: Will the Justice League have a Green Lantern when it gets up to current time? A: Yes. Q: Will we see a Cryb mother's day special? A: Johns says yes... no... yes. We will find out where Mogo's ring goes soon. Q: Will we see Sintestro's secret origin? A: It will be a wait, but it will happen.

No Caption Provided

10:35- There will be some Secrets of Oa information in the upcoming months. SECRETS! Q: A man hold his baby up and presents it for a Black Poker chip. Which lantern corps would you be? A: Eddie says Green. Johns says Green or Orange. Benes says Green. Alan says Green or Blue. Peter says red and "go really crazy ape shit, then put the blue one on a chill for a while." Adam says green or white. Q: Continuity question. A: Old continuity is still around. It's been asked a lot this weekend. Q: Saint Walker is asking a question. Who was the creative decision maker on New Guardians? A: Johns says the cover isn't a representation of it. Q: Is there an entity inside Black Hand? A: Yes, and we'll get more into that soon.

10:45- Good questions on this panel. Ignore my earlier comment. Q: Larfleeze mini-series? A: Johns says they've talked about doing one soon. Q: Who's the number two lantern? A: No answer. Q: Will the Red Lantern Corps be more nomads or work as a team? A: They will have a point, a violent point.

10:55- Q: What did Johns think about the GL film? A: He loves the fact people knows who Green Lantern is. Kilowog looked cool. Mark Strong was awesome. Q: Now that you've made Hal a bum, will he hit the road with Ollie? A: Johns says "No because he doesn't have a car." Q: More Lobo? A: Tony was going to explore that, and Eddie says there's something up with that in the future. Q: How many more planets is John Stewart going to kill? A: He's only killed two. Bob says if you kill two planets, that labels you a planet killer. Q: Is there an end date for John's ideas? A: Johns says he has 2-3 years more of ideas and we'll see where it goes from there. Q: Sodom Yet? A: No, not in the immediate future says Tomasi. Q: Star Sapphires? A: They'll be in the New Guardians. Q: Aquaman movie? A: Johns says no then "We're ending the Green Lantern panel on Aquaman?"

Awesome! Be back very soon with another New 52 panel!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kidchipotle

No hal? =[

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By batmarcus

So wait Hal won't get his ring back at all?? Also first comment!!!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Caligula

. Q: Are the entities pissed off for being used? A: Johns says the Butcher is mad.

when is he not?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By blackkitty

Wow, I hope their goal wasn't to interest me in this cause, no Hal? Seriously? They got rid of my girl Jade and now no Hal... not a happy camper at the moment.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Hal will be around, but not as the Green Lantern. That's what I'm taking from this.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

....poor hal.....i guess ill be picking up New Guardians
    Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nocall

"We'll see Black Hand again with the Indigo Tribe and it's the creepiest story they've done"

Nice =)

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By zombietag
    @inferiorego said:

Hal will be around, but not as the Green Lantern. That's what I'm taking from this.

not yet of coarse. obviously at some point he'll come into the lantern scene
    Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Weapon-Alpha

So if Hal is GL then who are we seeing in the new 52 Justice League?

TheLastLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By TheLastLantern
    @Weapon-Alpha said:

So if Hal is GL then who are we seeing in the new 52 Justice League?

The start of the series takes place 5 years before the current GL series.
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sammo21

So annoying when people ask questions that have no relation to what's going on.

TheLastLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By TheLastLantern
    @inferiorego said:

This is just a theory, but what if Hal's involvement in the book leads to him being the leader of the yellow lanterns, and in turn he once again becomes possesed by parralax?  I dunno, with what John's has done with the series so far I think it's a possibility.
    Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Weapon-Alpha
    @sammo21: whats not related?
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The First Lantern  teaser intrigues me...

ele3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15  Edited By ele3000

Know something, this story is getting to be more interesting with the new 52 and with the animated series coming out, I think Hal will be in the Corps once more after Sinestro is 'having fun' with his new ring.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Weapon-Alpha said:
    @sammo21: whats not related?
    Someone asked about an Aquaman movie. 

@TheLastLantern said:
    @inferiorego said:

This is just a theory, but what if Hal's involvement in the book leads to him being the leader of the yellow lanterns, and in turn he once again becomes possesed by parralax?  I dunno, with what John's has done with the series so far I think it's a possibility.
    Hal becoming the leader of the Yellow Lantern then becoming Parallax? Don't see that happening at all sir. 

I liked what i read here. Won't miss Hal all that much. Have them shine some light on the others such as Guy, John and especially Kyle. 
    No Sodam Yat? Mmmm was expected. They weren't doing much with him at the time anyways. I suspected they were simply trying to bury his character for a bit.
    h2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By h2k
    @Kallarkz said:
    Hal becoming the leader of the Yellow Lantern then becoming Parallax? Don't see that happening at all sir.

I must agree with that statement, anything else wouldn't make much sense at all.
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#18  Edited By lostlantern13
    @inferiorego said:

I agree with this and have been hoping for this for a long while. Hal desperately needs to develop his character without the ring right now.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20  Edited By CrimsonTempest
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Mbecks14

umm...Hal needs the ring back. 

I like the Sinestro idea because it's edgy but Hal can't be ringless for too long.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Am I the only one who's getting a sort of "Lethal Enforcer" vibe off this Sinestro?  They already kind of covered this in that first Green Lantern animated movie.

@G-Man said:

Brown Lantern Corps? Hmm...

I don't even want to image what they get their powers from. 

I still say they will do the Gray Lanterns and the story arc will be called "Partly-Cloudy Afternoon", Because we've already had Darkest Night and Brightest Day.
    batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By batmarcus

How is it that we get to see black hand as an Indigo Lantern but Hal does not get a GL ring back???

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Golden Cod
    @Batmarcus said:
    How is it that we get to see black hand as an Indigo Lantern but Hal does not get a GL ring back???
    Chill out dude.   You know it's temporary.   And Black Hand has been an Indigo Lantern ever since Blackest Night ended.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By labarith

Couldn't even call them "Copper"? 
    BrownLC FTL

mastershake84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mastershake84

I'm excited but I also missed everything after blackest night (but I am aware of what happened). Jumping back into Green Lantern with the new 52, and I'll be picking up all 4.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By kidchipotle

Maybe Hal will be leader of the new lantern corps for a bit ..ala the Brown Lanterns until the guardians stop being bitches and let him back in. Hal is by far my favorite lantern so I'm very let down BUT also very excited for how this will turn out.

choki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By choki

Sodam was a looser anyway. " Greatest GL of them all " My ass. Sups boy Prime beat his ass when he was Ion possessed plus a yellow sun. I didnt like how he turned out at all. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By danhimself

You'd be crazy to believe that Hal isn't getting his ring back at some point

GammaGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GammaGirl

Not gonna lie... I'm pissed.  We fought so hard to bring back Hal and now he gets booted again just because some writer wants to stretch out his creative charlie horse. 

fuck you

scotsman151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scotsman151

Is Hal not in the new JLA lineup?

Or is that Rayner, cause I could swear its Hal, just saying...

nnotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nnotdead

i've been reading up on some Lantern stories for the 52, but Hal and Kyle where my two favorite characters. now Hal isn't a Lantern and Kyle seems to be on a lesser Lantern comic. i can't spend too much on comics so i was already skeptical about jumping into Lantern because of all of the cross overs with the books. now i may just skip it all, idk.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@scotsman151 said:

Is Hal not in the new JLA lineup?

Or is that Rayner, cause I could swear its Hal, just saying...

Hal is on the JLA line-up, but that takes place before Hal loses ring. I believe 5 years before, so there will be a GL on the JLA, but it won't be Hal. I have a feeling it will be John Stewart, since Kyle is the lead GL in another book.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Nighthunter
    @ArturoCalaKayVee said:
     until the guardians stop being ####
    They have been for millions of years now. Why would they change now?
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jordanstine

So Geoff Johns announced that Hal Jordan will be inactive indefinitely because he wants to "take Green Lantern in a new direction". Wonder what effect this had to do with the recent film bombing... anyway, so instead, the new Green Lantern books will focus more on Sinestro and the new, then old, but new again "torchbearer" in Kyle Rayner.

Reminds me of my 90's childhood all over again!

Anyway, we can still follow our beloved Hal in the relaunched JLA since that takes place 5 years prior to the continuity.

--------

I also smell seeds being planted by Geoff Johns to develop a future new Green Lantern screenplay for a film (REBOOT) with Kyle as the main honcho maybe 6-7 years from now (whether that really happens or not is something else of course).

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By perry_411

I'm a child of the 90s, so I only liked John Stewart. The GL movie was awful. So bad it's worth creating an entire lesson plan on how not to make a movie. Voiceover to tell story, fractured footage, misuse of fx.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.