Off My Mind: What If Comic-Con Leaves San Diego?

• 55 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
       Yes, this is just an excuse to post this awesome picture I got.
      Yes, this is just an excuse to post this awesome picture I got.
San Diego Comic-Con 2010 may be over but there's still a lot to think about. It was a great convention. I'm sorry for all the people that couldn't make it. Part of it may be they were not able to travel out to San Diego but another part is the fact that it sold out so fast. This brings up one question that I was asked Saturday, what if Comic-Con left San Diego? 

Even though I had thought about this question before as we've all heard the talk about Comic-Con possibly relocating after 2012, I wasn't fully sure how I felt about it. First of all, with tradition and everything, I feel it should stay in San Diego. This may only have been my third time going to Comic-Con but I feel comfortable there now. I know the convention hall pretty well by now. I know where the different rooms are, especially the press rooms. Then there's the city. I've gotten used to walking the streets and remembering where the better restaurants, bars and hotel parties are. If Comic-Con moves, I'll have to figure it all out all over again. 
 == TEASER == 
No Caption Provided
That was part of my answer. The other part is, and I hate to say it, it doesn't really matter if Comic-Con moves. Regardless of where it ends up, I'm going to be there. 

Comic-Con is about the gathering of people that love comics (and also all that Hollywood stuff). Creators and fans can get together and enjoy everything. When you look at pictures of Comic-Con, rarely do you see outside shots. Everything happens in doors. Even though WonderCon in San Francisco is a lot smaller than Comic-Con, the floor layout of the main hall is pretty similar. Sometimes looking at inside shots, it's hard to distinguish which convention it is. As long as we all have a place to go and meet, Comic-Con will continue.  

No Caption Provided
I'm not a fan of change but sometimes you have to roll with it. I would like for Comic-Con to stay in San Diego and maybe it will. It's still a little ways off and I'm not going to worry about it. I don't have a say in where it ends up but I will put my faith in the organizers of the convention. They've been doing this a long time and with the success of each convention year after year, I have to assume they'll do the right thing.  

As long as Comic-Con doesn't move to somewhere like the moon, I will continue to attend as I'm sure everyone else will. This is the big pilgrimage a lot of people make each year. The location may change someday but I don't think the love we all have for comics will. Just don't book your hotel room too far in advance.
timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By timrothsays

GRANT! You are a lucky man indeed... ;3

Timm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Timm

What If Comic-Con Leaves San Diego?
then it would be somewhere else!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

I don't think the place is important.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
@timrothsays: Ha ha, at first I thought you were trying to joke that Grant was a lucky guy for being in a pic with me.    
RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RedHurricane24

I dunno, it might be beneficial if it were to move to another city. If it were to relocate, like to basically LA, or Vegas, its exposure might be increased. But to each, their own, right?

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By timrothsays
@G-Man: maybe, just maybe, that is exactly what I meant ;)
Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Aspenite

One day I will be at Comic-Con too, no matter where it is!

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By timrothsays
@Aspenite: my thoughts
MisterDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By MisterDK

It could tour rather than having a home. Every year a new city (and maybe even the occasional new country).

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By doordoor123

I really hope it doesnt leave San Diego unless it moves to either Chicago or LA.
Im from LA so its okay if it doesnt leave San Diego for me. Ive never been and have always wanted to go. I was going to go this year but wasnt sure when the tickets were on sale. I hadnt realize they were on sale until you wrote they were sold out on your status. I was really upset. 
In a couple of weeks im moving to Chicago, so that would be cool too. But C2E2 is there and i couldnt see that happening.

ballsnbayonets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ballsnbayonets

lol predobear

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Wolverine0628

Plus there's the nice weather to consider.

scorpius72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By scorpius72

Im sorry G-MAN , but is this a discussion or just a whine?  
because if its a discussion then why are they thinking of moving the Con?    

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14  Edited By sora_thekey

On the one hand if it leaves it might have the opportunity of (forgive the analogy) revamping the Con... maybe loose some of those annoying people who are there just to see Angelina Jolie, or Twilight Cast....

On the selfish hand if it leaves San Diego, it won't be close to me...
Either way, I'd go to the Con! There is no way I'm missing it after going for 4 years straight!

Avatar image for craig_lovecraft
Craig Lovecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Craig Lovecraft
@G-Man:
I was totally going to use that joke when I first saw that picture.
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jamesewelch

They are considering moving the con due to the size of the current San Diego convention center. They want the con to get bigger, but the convention center is the same size as it was a few years ago. You can't expand in a confined space. The convention center in Orange County/Anaheim and Las Vegas are bigger, so they have more floor space and can host more booths and make more money. The pro/cons have been well documented for the last few years. Everyone has been talking about the move. I think there were even a handful of articles here this year about it.

Being from San Diego, I'd hate to see it leave. That would seriously lower my chances of being able to make it. I'm much more in favor of letting the "hollywood stuff" move to Anaheim and keeping the traditional comic book part here in San Diego. I think that would keep tradition going (it wasn't always Hollywood here) and give the movie stars and TV stars a shorter drive from LA.

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz
@G-Man:
What if they move to east coast? Would you guys fly all the way over there?
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck
@JoeRiccadonna: Yup.

@scorpius72:
Not sure why you would think this was a "whine." Bottom line I'm saying it doesn't really matter where it's at. Maybe you missed that part.    
Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mumbles

las vegas baby!

Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

"Comic-Con is about the gathering of people that love comics (and also all that Hollywood stuff). Creators and fans can get together and enjoy everything." 

That. If I was just in the same continent, I wouldnt mind traveling a couple more hours in case it 've gotten re-located elsewhere. Just be glad there are events like that you can enjoy your life there.

PS. Predobear VS Predator

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Comiclove5

I think if they were to relocate it, it would probably be moved to Hollywood.
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1099

#22  Edited By cbishop

I've lived in Las Vegas for a little over six years, but I've always wondered why there's never a con here.  That's what Vegas does, and with the costumes, protestors and stabbings, a comic con would fit right in here. ;)  Seriously though, the temperatures in Vegas this time of year are 110+, so that would be a serious drag... it would probably keep everyone inside, once they get past the initial "ooh, we're in Vegas" stage.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hdorman1
@MisterDK said:
" It could tour rather than having a home. Every year a new city (and maybe even the occasional new country). "
yes! 
bring it to Ireland! 
a long trek sure, but it would be awesome(and a helluva lot closer)
Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Tainted-Cell

In Tampa we have our own "MetroCon" for those who can't afford a round trip + hotel + ComicCon admission. Having never been to a ComicCon before I can only guess that it's a lot smaller, but it is hosted at the Tampa Convention Center, which is GIGANTIC. I'm sure there are plenty of convention centers like it all over the US, and like you said G-Man, it really only takes place indoors. It's definitely possible, but I doubt they would change that tradition.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By N7_Normandy

new york or La is where it really should be

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DH69

move it somewhere cold for less B.O. 
every year some poor conventioner dies from over exposure to nerd B.O. 

now to sit back and wait for the backlash XD 

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jamesewelch

There's only 2 other places in the running to host Comic Con - Las Vegas and Anaheim (or stay in San Diego). The other places are either not big enough or were excluded due to other reasons. Right now, it looks like the decision is between Anaheim and San Diego. Both cities are investing millions into winning (or renewing) the CCI contract. The announcement should have been made prior to comic con, but the CCI board decided to wait until after the convention to make their announcement. I expect an announcement within the next few weeks.

MisterDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MisterDK
@hdorman1 said:
" @MisterDK said:
" It could tour rather than having a home. Every year a new city (and maybe even the occasional new country). "
yes! bring it to Ireland! a long trek sure, but it would be awesome(and a helluva lot closer) "
I was thinking more Scotland :)
Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

#29  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I don't know how, but I plan on going to Comic-con one year. It doesn't matter where, I will go one day.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I live so near San Diego that its easy to go every year.  But if it moves to some place like San Fransisco or Las Vegas I wont be able to.  But if its in LA then maybe.
But I thought I heard they were building onto the Convention Center.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The plan is for a $753 million expansion of the San Diego convention center which would provide an additional 200,000 square feet of exhibit space, a third ballroom, 100,000 square feet of meeting rooms, and a new 500 room hotel directly behind the convention center. This would give the center a total of 815,000 square feet of exhibition space, about the same as Anaheim’s convention center.
Read more: San Diego Convention Center Plans $753 million Expansion in Bid to Keep Comic-Con | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/05/san-diego-convention-center-plans-753-million-expansion-in-bid-to-keep-comic-con/#ixzz0uoKfKj4T

found at :
 http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/05/san-diego-convention-center-plans-753-million-expansion-in-bid-to-keep-comic-con/

I hope they don't move, its better for me if they stay put.  Plus I like it in San Diego.
Avatar image for eisforextinction
EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#31  Edited By EisforExtinction

You're touching Grant Morrison! Now you're magic too.

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jamesewelch
@ArtisticNeedham:  They want to build that, but only if they get the contract for the next 5 years of Comic Con or something. Otherwise, it's too costly and not really needed. We (I live here too) just need to expand to support Comic Con. We'll use the extra space to host other cons (or multiple cons at same time), but the real purpose of the expansion is to keep CC here.
NawfalQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By NawfalQ

Its probably a decent financial boon for the city. I can conceive of other cities being interested in that sort of tourist draw, but I think SD's proximity to Hollywood helps CC a great deal.

Lance471

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lance471

Maybe if it is bigger then they could sell more tickets and give vendors bigger booths or get more vendors to go. Obviously this doesn't effect me as I live in the United Kingdom, but that is just my thoughts on the matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll be there next year!

Toastalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Toastalchemist

I think the con should move around. It would give more people a chance to go who normally would not be able to. 

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MisterMollusk

I think it'd be nice for it to be on another coast. Maybe give us east coasters a better chance of attending. :)

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jamesewelch

The problem with moving it around is that it takes the city a really long time to prepare. That's why they have to decide years in advance and sign like 5 year contracts. Its kind of like organizing the Olympics (but smaller). The city has to hire extra people, make sure the transportation and safety stuff is good, hotels need time to work out details, etc.  There's lots of other Comic Cons ran by the same company (Wonder Cons) and several more ran by another company (Wizard mag guy). Plus, there's only a couple convention centers that are big enough for Comic Con.

ur3na

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ur3na

I hope it doesn't move to LA.  Because most likely that will be the place.  LA already has E3,  Where San Diego mainly has Comic Con and Comic Con brings a lot of money to San Diego.  It was born in San Diego it should stay in San Diego

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NightFang3

Comic-Con should do an road trip around the country ever year and move to different cities.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By TheMess1428

I want it to stay in San Diego... 
...Because I live there!

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#42  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

That was an awesome picture

Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ebbm

it would be nice if the location changed year to year
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By agent9149

it should go to New York (Alicia keys voice

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By greenenvy

Go to Vegas please. 

dweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dweet

I wouldn't mind seeing it in the Pacific North West, but Seattle already has ECCC. I hate the idea of being in Southern California in the summer.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By lorex

I know this is not likely but if they filtered some of the Hollywood and TV stuff that is not science fiction, fantasy or horror related then there probably wouldn't be a problem.

rum1929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By rum1929

San Diego Comic Con is an iconic event and it has been in that city for what...30 years. It should stay in San Diego and the city should either make the convention bigger or filter out some of the television/movie stuff to make more room.

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By jamdown

does any one think that a big comic convention(other than the two new york ones) will ever move to the east side like philadelphia
ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ceniza

maybe it could come to colombia. 

we could use comic conventions.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.