inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Marko, Alana, Hazel, and the rest of the team adjust to living with Dr Heist where they think they are safe. The Will has to make a decision on whether or not to pursue Marko and Alana. Also, what's going on with The Stalk?

The real winner of this issue is what's going on with Sophie (Slave Girl), The Will, and Gwendolyn. There's been a lot of wondering why The Stalk is still around, and why only The Will can see her. Things take a very weird turn towards the end.

The book opens up with a very cool scene featuring the two journalists, Upsher and Doff, speaking with Countess Robot X, who just killed a really big dragon on a runway. I am really digging Countess Robot X, and the story of Upsher and Doff trying to investigate what really happened with Marko and Alana. This leads to a pretty fantastic opening which lets the reader know just crazy the world these characters live in, including the war, can be.

Brian K Vaughan always does a great job with building on the world he and artist Fiona Staples created. We're always seeing new side stories and new characters that are just as intriguing as the rest. It's a book that keeps getting better and better.

Really loved the cover for this issue. Fiona Staples does a bang up job making an homage to all those cheesy romance novels from our world, as well as the one Dr Heist wrote in SAGA. She consistently turns out beautiful work, especially with the reveal page in issue #15. This is a book you should buy for the art alone. Luckily, the writing is just as good, so it's a double treat.

The ending to this issue is amazing. It's a great "WTF" moment. That's all that can be said about it without spoiling the issue.

The Bad

I wouldn't call this issue "filler," but it's definitely a transitional issue. It's not bad, but it does get a bit dull at moments. SAGA doesn't need to be a fly by the seat of your pants series, but this issue really focuses on the group trying to get to "normalcy," which, for the reader, feels a bit awkward and a tad forced. This series really works the best when the main characters are on the run.

The Verdict

SAGA continues to be one of the best on-going series in comic books. This issue really focuses more on everyone coming together as a family and trying to live their lives as normal as possible. It's a relatively large change in the dynamic of the series, since they've been mainly on the run, but it's still an incredibly good read. The side stories are really the best part of this particular issue though. The secondary characters are just as important and interesting as the primary, and that's what really sets this book apart from the others. If you're still not reading SAGA, then you need to start now. Overall, I highly recommend this issue and series.

Enz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Enz0

Guh, this book is like crack!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Alana is so awesome.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

I managed to make it to 27 years old without having flights of fantasy regarding famous people that are unattainable for "intimacy".

Then Staples gives us Alana and I'm like, "Well, ****." Goddamn it.

This is just about my favourite comic ever.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Alana is so awesome.

@the_mast said:

I managed to make it to 27 years old without having flights of fantasy regarding famous people that are unattainable for "intimacy".

Then Staples gives us Alana and I'm like, "Well, ****." Goddamn it.

This is just about my favourite comic ever.

so I'm not the only one who has a huge crush on her? Thank God!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager
    _Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

About to start on trade 2. Any ideas when trade 3 will come? Feb maybe?

hufnagel0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hufnagel0

@_marc_74: Jan is the end of this arc, so Feb sounds about right. With cliffhangers like these, though, it's pretty fun to suffer month to month with it.

I loved this issue. Marko getting stoked after the arm wrestling cracked me up. I'm legitimately anxious about that cliffhanger. As far as the 'return to normalcy' criticism, I didn't mind it at all. I think it's naturally what they would be thinking about. But since we know it doesn't last, it just seems like filler until we catch up with issue 12.

HalfGorillaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will I like Saga even if I kinda really hate The Runaways by BKV? It's the only reason I've held back for so long.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This is such a fantastic series.

HalfGorillaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matkrenz: not really hate, but it was pretty bland/'vanilla' for my tastes. At about the same time I just had read through all of Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run and all of Hickman's F4/FF run though, so maybe that contributed? I just got a bit bored with The Runaways. I find this current run of Young Avengers much more entertaining, but I guess Runaways is getting old now. Might've been a bit more progressive for comics when it first came out or something?

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Every month I have those series that are must pulls, and Saga is always one of them. In the 3 weeks leading to its release or when BKV and Fiona take a break, I always end up thinking yeah Saga is great but cant really put my finger on why I love it so much. Then after reading the newest issue I always say, "Oh yeah thats why I love it so much." This month was no different. Great issue.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot say it enough, if you're not reading this series please figure your life out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.