gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

We're finally getting a comic "inspired by" the TV series. Little by little we've been witnessing little changes the bring the Marvel 616 universe and the Cinematic Universe closer together. As comic fans, we want both to be successful and both could benefit from the success of the other. Usually when we see comics based on live action media, they tend to feel a little watered down. With Mark Waid writing the series and different Marvel artists drawing each issue, there's the feeling that Marvel is taking this book seriously.

Waid opens the issue with a light introduction to Agent Phil Coulson. As seen in Marvel's The Avengers, we know that Coulson was a bit of a fanboy when it came to the heroes. Waid does a nice job illustrated that within a couple pages. We also get a sense of who Coulson is in the Marvel Universe and his relationship to others. We are also introduced to some familiar faces (familiar if you watch Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

What makes this exciting is the "unlimited budget" concept. By being able to bring in whichever characters are needed, there's a bigger feel to the story. It makes sense that when there's a big threat on the loose, the government can't just sit around and hope the Avengers or Fantastic Four or Spider-Man will be around to stop it. I look forward to seeing how S.H.I.E.L.D. will work with other heroes to get the mission completed, just like we're seeing in Ales Kot's SECRET AVENGERS.

Kicking the series off with art by Carlos Pacheco is enough to get anyone excited. Pacheco gets the opportunity to cut loose a little and is able to draw some non-typical Marvel settings. In other words, this issue doesn't take place strictly in New York City. If this is an indication of seeing other heroes assisting S.H.I.E.L.D. outside their normal environments, we're in for some interesting stories.

The Bad

We first saw Phil "Cheese" Coulson in the 616 Universe in BATTLE SCARS by Chris Yost, Cullen Bunn, and Matt Fraction. We saw that Coulson was an Army Ranger along with Marcus Johnson, aka Nick Fury Jr. It was at the end of their adventure in this series that Coulson and Fury joined S.H.I.E.L.D. This eventually lead to his place in the SECRET AVENGERS series. When we see bits of Coulson's past over the years in the opening, there's no mention of being a Ranger and being in S.H.I.E.L.D. at twenty-five serving under Dum Dum Dugan doesn't fit in with what we've had so far. Coulson's had a pretty big part in SECRET AVENGERS.

It doesn't feel like the same character so the question is, is this series in the 616 Universe? My impression was this series was meant to take place in the 616. Is what's been established about Coulson being overlooked for the sake of bringing more of the TV series' feel to comics?

We haven't fully seen the "helper monkey" just yet. Let's hope it works out alright.

The Verdict

This series may be a result of trying to incorporate elements of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series to comics but that's okay. It's been too long since we've had a proper S.H.I.E.L.D. series. SECRET AVENGERS is doing a fantastic job but that's focused on a smaller group of agents and Avengers. Mark Waid has the freedom to call forth whichever characters are needed for the story. There is a lot of potential in being able to see heroes work outside their comfort zone along with the government agents in order to stop big threats. We'll be getting a different artist for each mission and Carlos Pacheco does a great job with a huge number of characters involved in the story. It's not clear how exactly this series fits in with the Cinematic and established comic continuity based on all we've seen of Coulson in comics so far. This has the makings of a really great and fun series.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah, won't pick this up until a few issues have rolled out. Would love some confirmation on whether this is 616 universe too!

Also, do they introduce Skye? Since technically she is meant to be that certain character in the Marvel Universe.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@chaos_burn: She's not in this. It feels more like 616 than Cinematic Universe because we see the Thing and some others. There's just that bit I went on about with Coulson.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I like the idea of bringing in the characters from the show and making them fit more into the 616 world. I especially like how FitzSimmons are both a little more up to task physically than they are on AoS.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Marvel should release this next week because this week not many people go to comics store because busy preparing house for new year and want to save some money. Imagine if this release next week, I think more people will interested to buy this book

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel should release this next week because this week not many people go to comics store because busy preparing house for new year and want to save some money. Imagine if this release next week, I think more people will interested to buy this book

I'm sure people would still be able to get this next week

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

hate the SHIELD so pass

AdmiralPetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give this issue a 3 out of 5, I'm excited to see some of my favorite characters from the show brought to the 616 universe, but this issue just felt like they tried to cram to many things into it at once. Hopefully it will gel as the series goes on, I generally like most of Waid's previous work after all.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those books I need to know more about before I buy it.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Not that I'm interested in a shield book but I am glad they did this. I also hope that now Marvel decides to stop making ShIeld appear in like every characters book unless absolutely neccesary. I hate how in your face shield is now a days. The avengers should never have to answer to Shield. The avengers are like the Justice league, The Greater Good!!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The little retcon you mentioned in the BAD and seeing what looked like Richard Rider Nova also made me think the book isn't in 616.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@dernman: looks like Hercules had powers as well. I'm not certain it's the case anymore but wasn't he de-powered a while ago? This book could very well not be 616 eh?

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Pretty sure this book is 616 Female Thor and Cap Wilson are both in it

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GREGalicious

I got the impression it was in the 616 and I couldn't be more thrilled to have May and Fitz-Simmons (maybe Ward too later??) join the universe. A 100% confirmation would be great though.

I do hope they bring in Daisy so we can see if they still have that closeness in the 616 universe (if this is that universe, that is). Maybe they can run into her while she's undercover using the alias, "Skye" or the hilarious "Mary Sue Poots" as a nod to the tv series.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A series based on one of my fave shows, by one of my fave writers, with team-ups of some of my fave characters.. Definitely picking this up.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am going to wait until issue 5... If it is good, I will buy or I might wait for trade...

If it isn't so good... I will pass this comic...

GhostPirateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may pick it up. I dropped the show after the first 4 episodes. But I recently watched the last 3 episodes of the season and I think the show has improved.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how exactly could Quicksilver kill Hulk if he wanted to ...

RedHush1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

So I'm so confused does this take place in 616? Because there was what looked like Richard Rider? But also Cap Wilson and female Thor. I was thrown off and it kinda ruined the book for me because I couldn't think if it was canon or just another alternate universe

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I think this is set in the Marvel TV/Cinematic Universe probably or something like that. Because of the differences that appeared in Coulson's origin, the fact that it seemed like it was Richard Rider nova and because Tony Stark was SUperior Iron Man but was a good guy who wasn't acting like a douche the whole time. But at the same time there were things like the mentioning of the new female Thor that makes you think that this might actually be set in the 616 universe.

dangermart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone tell me why 616 Phil is nicknamed 'Cheese'?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.