Follow

Roy Harper

Character » Roy Harper appears in 2187 issues.

Green Arrow's first sidekick Speedy, and later Arsenal, and then Red Arrow, Roy Harper has grown to become one of the most accomplished marksmen and heroes in the DC Universe. Roy now goes by the name Arsenal once more.

Roy Harper Cast for 'Arrow'

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

When comic books and characters are adapted for the big and small screen, it's a given that some changes will be made. It's necessary to accomodate the different format along with the difference in terms of years of continuity. With Arrow, we have seen some changes to Green Arrow's character. There are some familiar elements so we can sit back and watch the story unfold in this different universe.

No Caption Provided

With an age closer to the current New 52 comic version, trying to figure out how his former ward, Roy Harper, would fit in has been a question for many since the show began. Originally when Roy Harper's father died, Green Arrow took him in and adopted him. Roy became his sidekick known as Speedy and later Arsenal and Red Arrow. With Ollie already using the nickname Speedy on his younger sister Thea, what does that mean for Roy?

We're about to find out. TV Guide reported that Colton Haynes (Teen Wolf) has joined the cast as Roy. Apparently The CW described his character as "a handsome, street-savvy, teenager from 'the Glades,' in the harsh, poverty-stricken portion of Starling City."

Will his former drug abuse factor into the series? It also seems that his addition will give Ollie's younger sister, played by Willa Holland, a love interest.

According to TV Guide, Roy is also "destined to become a significant part of her life and an important player in the larger world of Arrow."

We'll just have to wait and see if he's already an expert bowman.

Arrow airs on The CW Wednesday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

GreenFuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreenFuse

Cool. Colton isn't too bad, on par with the other actors on the show anyway. I'm not familiar with the comics, but I hope his character isn't another one with a chip on his shoulder. All the attitude on the show is a bit much already.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I like him on Teen Wolf, he will do fine.... just fine.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Mucklefluga

Isn't it a bit soon to introduce him to the show?

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By GothamRed

This might be the first time in media other than comics that they explore his drug addiction. Also I think he's going to skip being speedy and go straight to arsenal if they do end up using him as another archer, pretty much because Tommy keeps calling Ollie's little sister speedy.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By hyperman

Thea may die. Soon afterwards, Ollie takes in the young man and trains him in order to be his sidekick. Roy is named Speedy after Thea. Olli thinks it's a way to honour his dead sister.

bsavelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bsavelli

@Mucklefluga said:

This!

Honestly, they should try to put an end to this special-guest-thingy for a while. They've been introducing new superheroes and super villains in almost every single episode, and that's not only forced, but also careless, since they're spending every resource they have, instead of keeping them to use in future seasons. I mean,nostalgia is a good thing, but they've been exaggerating a little bit. They should try to focus on developing the characters they already have instead of keep pushing new ones. This has been one of the main problems in the show for me.

About Roy, yeah, I'd love to see him as a character. It would be a pity not to, but Oliver is still young in the show. He's still an apprentice in some way, for he's still learning the true purposes of his crusade, so I don't think he is really ready to tutor anyone.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ccraft

@hyperman: Thats what I told my sister a week ago hmmmm...

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Mucklefluga

@bsavelli said:

@Mucklefluga said:

This!

Honestly, they should try to put an end to this special-guest-thingy for a while. They've been introducing new superheroes and super villains in almost every single episode, and that's not only forced, but also careless, since they're spending every resource they have, instead of keeping them to use in future seasons. I mean,nostalgia is a good thing, but they've been exaggerating a little bit. They should try to focus on developing the characters they already have instead of keep pushing new ones. This has been one of the main problems in the show for me.

About Roy, yeah, I'd love to see him as a character. It would be a pity not to, but Oliver is still young in the show. He's still an apprentice in some way, for he's still learning the true purposes of his crusade, so I don't think he is really ready to tutor anyone.

I totally agree with everything you said. Special guest after special guest after special guest. It's great but i think we're overdosing it a bit now. And yes! Ollie's too young!

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ccraft

I'm not a big fan of Roy Harper or Thea. I was having a discussion about Roy with my sister (shes a big fan of Roy) and I told her the only way he would call Roy speedy, is if Thea died. To 'honour' her like what said. Thats the only way I'd be okay for this character, that I dont like, to be called speedy. And to be in Arrow, but I'd rather Arrow stay solo for a bit longer

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think this is great news. I love Roy Harper and Colton Haynes. I think he will do a great job. Can't wait!!

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Pokeysteve

I would have rather them find a way to work Connor in instead. Roy always annoyed me while Connor is a bad ass. I knew they were going to have him around Ollie's sister!! Bring on the drugs!!!........that sounds bad.........drugs are bad kids.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spideycap

Yes! Love Roy Harper. I really hope they go all the way with this and let him become Arsenal/Red Arrow/Speedy as Arrows partner.

Avatar image for jacksonvillewriter
    jacksonvillewriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colton Haynes has a HUGE fan following from his Teen Wolf days. I expect a boost in ratings with his introduction.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LarryDavis

Hats off.

bennyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bennyq

WhyWhy is it called Starling City instead of Star City? And what's with him painting on the mask? It hides nothing and would just take a lot of time to do.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Superbat420

Their obviously going to make Roy and Thea a couple....she'll be speedy, and he'll be red arrow or arsenal

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17  Edited By nappystr8

Roy Harper is one of my favorite DC characters, so him joining the cast makes me more interested in the show than I was before. I don't know if it is enough interest to actually watch the show though. Don't know anything about the actor, but he looks like he could work as some interpretation of the character.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By NightFang3

Well he looks like Roy from Young Justice.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

#19  Edited By wmwadeii

Why did you have to mention love interest. It reminds me of the one downfall of the show, its too much CW not enough WB/DC. While they are trying to keep comic nerds happy it seems they want to entice the Vampire Diaries crowd too.

whitelantern64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By whitelantern64

I'll hold my verdict until I see the results. But I do want Arrow to focus more on Ollie's mission instead of a guest star gimmick.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AskaniSon295

Willa Holland will be Speedy and Shaft will be Red Arrow

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Bestostero

Great to see Roy introduced although i agree that it is a tad bit early for him to appear...hopefully Cheshire will be in this too, too bad Kelly Hu is already playing China White, she voices Cheshire on YJ perfectly

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Looks like they are going the New 52 rout with Roy not being his kid sidekick. But more like a hired hand/weapons tech/partner.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#24  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

cool. But too early for Roy

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By MrMazz

Sounds about right giving the show.

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HempKnight757

@wmwadeii: Sadly it will always be that way as long as it is on the CW.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By amazing_webhead

I kinda assumed Thea was the show's version of Mia Dearden. In any case, I doubt Roy will be Ollie's sidekick, but at least Ollie will probably help him train or something.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By the_tree

I bet Thea dies and he takes up the name Speedy in her honor. I just hope they keep the Native American side to Roy intact, although they probably won't, as that's the most forgotten aspect of his character, in my opinion.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mercy_

Ehhhhhh

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30  Edited By RedOwl_1

I give 10 bucks it's going to go all 'Jason Todd' like ((*singing mode activate* Troublesome boy from the bad side of town. Very poor life and violent all the way. Ollie thinks he can help lead that violence to a good cause. And so it goes ooooon))

Still I'm interested on how Ollie will take it (considering what happened to Helena...) and so what Diggy will say (nothing good I bet)

Aaaaand plus Ollie is know as the 'hooded vigilant' not even as 'Arrow' or 'Green Arrow' and you expect Roy to have a name?!?

BTW Any idea the episode he's going to show up? Seems kinda early now :P

@NightFang said:

Well he looks like Roy from Young Justice.

I give him points for that :F <- me drooling (I'm a teenager I'm on my rights of doing so)

@The_Tree said:

I bet Thea dies and he takes up the name Speedy in her honor.

Oh maybe he's the one who sell her drugs and Ollie goes after him and.... (Not going to keep doing crazy theories, have to go to bed)

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stormbox

@whitelantern64 said:

I'll hold my verdict until I see the results. But I do want Arrow to focus more on Ollie's mission instead of a guest star gimmick.

Same. This is starting to feel like the later seasons of smallville already

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Eh, Speedy needs to be redhead I think. Just how I feel.

Avatar image for insaneartisticnerd
    InsaneArtisticNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"a handsome, street-savvy, teenager from 'the Glades,' in the harsh, poverty-stricken portion of Starling City." 

Just change 'the Glades' to downtown Gotham and 'Starling City' to Gotham City, and you get Jason Todd. 
    mommokou1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mommokou1

I am not sure how I feel about the love interest part but I am glad to see Colton in a new role I haven't seen the show yet but will definitely be watching this soon.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Jenkale

there goes a great change to have a female hero on the show. since they were calling Thea speedy i was hoping she would take up the mantle and be her brother's sidekick. oh poo

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.