Follow

Riddler

Character » Riddler appears in 1574 issues.

Edward Nigma is a villain obsessed with riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers, who took the alias of the Riddler to commit crimes. Riddler frequently tries to outsmart Gotham's hero Batman, but is always defeated by the Dark Knight.

Interview: Ray Fawkes Talks Riddler, BATMAN 23.2, Villains Month and Zero Year

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Villains Month is just around the corner. During the month of September, all of the New 52 titles will be taken over, in a sense, by the villains of the DCU. All current series will sort of be put on hold as the villains step up to take the spotlight.

One of those spotlight book will feature the Riddler. BATMAN 23.2 will be written by Scott Snyder and Ray Fawkes. Snyder is currently writing Zero Year in the BATMAN title which, besides showing us a younger Bruce Wayne, is also showing us the Riddler in his early days.

We asked Ray a few questions to see how the Riddler story in the Villains Month issue will tie into Zero Year.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: Will the story take place in the present or be a flashback to Zero Year? Or both?

Ray Fawkes: This story takes place in the present, but we'll see some flashbacks to Zero Year. I don't want to give anything away, so that's all I'll say about that!

CV: Will this issue give away any spoilers for Edward's role in Zero Year?

RF: Not spoilers, per se, but it will give additional perspective on his role, and the way the ordinary citizens of Gotham see him. Let's say that he earns his reputation in Zero Year, and we see him flex it in this story. When we sat down to write this, Scott Snyder and I had a lot of discussions about what the Riddler got up to in Zero Year, and why people would really fear him after that. The product of those discussions will be on full display in Villains Month.

No Caption Provided

CV: What do you see as Edward's motivation?

RF: That's complicated. Personally, I think Edward is frustrated by a combination of the ordinary world's inability to challenge his intellect and its ongoing inability to pay him the respect he thinks he deserves. So he has this urge to act up, to play these "games" in hopes that someone will face off against him and allow him to prove his superiority. Further to that, he adds layers to the game to keep himself entertained - anyone can commit an ordinary crime. Only he can commit one that he enjoys.

CV: Edward has often been portrayed as a brilliant character (and sometimes a little silly). Will we see what drove him down a darker path rather than a more heroic one?

RF: The Riddler's origin is handled completely in Zero Year. This story is more one where we get to see the full extent of Edward's criminal tendencies, and the effect that years of failure and incarceration after the end of Zero Year have had on him. Let's say this: he didn't get any better in Arkham. And he had a lot of time to sit and think about what he wanted to do when he got out...

No Caption Provided

CV: Are there any hints of the Secret Society of Super Villains present or does Riddler prefer to play by himself?

RF: The Riddler doesn't play very well with others. Not at all. I'm sure that the Secret Society could figure out how to motivate him, but nobody's found the right approach yet - so he's a free agent in this story, carrying out the elaborate crimes that he planned so meticulously in his asylum cell. Of course, nothing goes exactly as planned...

No Caption Provided

CV: How would you compare Edward's intellect to someone like Lex Luthor?

RF: Honestly, I'd say that Edward is incredibly talented, and may well be the world's foremost thinker with regards to pattern recognition, strategy, and complicated mathematics - but he's not an inventor or a theoretical scientist, so comparing him to someone like Lex is a bit of an apples-and-oranges question. If not for Batman, Edward would be the very best there is at what he does.

That said, I think if you put Edward and Lex in a room, with no equipment and no advance warning and had them face off in competition, I'd put my money on The Riddler.

CV: How good are you at solving riddles?

RF: Not bad, actually. I regularly do cryptic crosswords for fun - I have ever since I found out that they were used in recruitment interviews in England's famed Bletchley Park WWII codebreakers program - and I had a blast writing up (hopefully) difficult riddles and puzzles for this book!

Be sure to pick up BATMAN #23.2 on September 11, 2013.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Cant wait for this, the world needs more (hopefully if this is) great Riddler stories!

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Riddler has always been my favorite Bat-villain, this issue will be a no brainer for me :)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

The Riddler is the best there is at what he does...except for Batman, lol

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

All uk stores out of stock?

I only pre ordered bane n joker

tquinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CAN. NOT. WAIT. Been waiting for a new Riddler story, best batman villain

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JamDamage

I always liked the Riddler. I would think he'd be so damn hard to write for, since I just suck a riddles.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By patrat18

please take the cape of black adam, i'ts weird to see it on him.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Best Riddler story that I've read, even though he was a secondary character was in Hush

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8cea74082a2
    deactivated-5a8cea74082a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If The Riddler is in the next solo Batman film, I suggest Crispin Glover play the role.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Riddler story that I've read, even though he was a secondary character was in Hush

The whole Riddler aspect in Hush was one of the very few good things about the story.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Id put my money on Mr Luthor. Im reallu loving Zero Year though.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kid Apollo

Riddlers always been my #1 Bat villain, cant wait for this

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is one of the very few Villains month books I'm getting.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gracetrack

It is well past time the Riddler received the epic story arc that he deserves. He's my favorite bat-villain, but so incredibly under utilized. The possibilities are endless with this character.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is one of the very few Villains month books I'm getting.

Same here. I can hardly wait for this one.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Best at strategy and pattern recognition? maybe in his own twisted mind. Deathstroke wipes the floor with him in those,so do many others,still I'm glad that Riddler's getting his due and I hope they can channel this intelligence in the actual comic.

Kelevra216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta thank my sister for suggesting to pre-order/reserve The Riddler issue. I love his look on the cover... I hope I get the 2D issue instead.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bladewolf

Love the Riddler, great to see him getting some love!

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I haven't been reading Zero Year (I pick up Batman in trade) but I love the Riddler so I think this will be one of the titles I pick up for Villain's Month.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved the Riddler ever since I was a kid and Frank Gorshin was playing him on TV - he's still the person I always think of when I visualise the character

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ray Fawkes does for the Riddler just as I always wanted him portrayed...not playing well with others. This is gonna be great! Bring on Villain's Month!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Let the mind games begin!

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Riddler is one of my favorite Batman villains of all-time. He's the only one intelligent enough to take on Batman's intelligence. Unfortunately, he hasn't been portrayed to the full extent of his abilities for quite a while.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

I really hope there will be a Riddler spin off series like his detective role pre flashpoint

Wonder if Joker will pop up

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riddler is awesome, easily in my top 10 comic villains.

I am really interested in his upcoming stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.