Follow

Red Sonja

Character » Red Sonja appears in 1060 issues.

Known as the "She-Devil with a Sword," Red Sonja is the greatest swordswoman of the Hyborean Age and more than a match for any man in combat. First appearing in Marvel Comics in 1973, Red Sonja has become the archetypal example of the strikingly beautiful warrior woman clad in revealing bikini-like armor.

Actress Rose McGowan On 'Red Sonja'

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Will we ever see Rose McGowan play 'Red Sonja'?

We haven't really heard a whole lot of buzz about this project lately other than rumors regarding it's production. The last we heard anything about it was about a month ago when it was revealed that work on the project ad been pushed back to next year. It's amazing though just how revealing someone's twitter feed can be!  Actress Rose McGowan attempted to quell those rumors via her twitter feed indicating that she is still attached to role of ' the she-devil with a sword,'

"To clarify press reports: Red Sonja is delayed," wrote McGowan on Friday. "I pulled out of doing it in '09. Not permanently. Hopefully will follow Conan...

"I am still contracted to do Red Sonja," she wrote. "Hopefully Filming in '10 not '09."

Perhaps the people behind this film got a little bit over-confident the movie, and released those teaser posters last year? Do you really think we will ever see Rose McGowan don Brigiette Nielson's old role?
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I cant imagine her saying she is doing it not to be doing it, but im not in love with her doing it.... way to many doing its in that post..

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Green ankh

I hope not.  I do not think she can pull it off.
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dondasch

As much as I don't mind Rose McGowan, Briggite>Rose for at least this role if not entirely.  I don't see Rose being able to bring the energy to the screen that Briggite was able to for the role

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the best thing Rose can do for this role is re vamp it for a newer generation, the original role was bad a** but still sexualised, maybe Rose can make it kinda Kill Bill style.. just pure bad a**

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dondasch

I don't exactly equate bad a** with Rose McGowan.  She simply doesn't strike me of being able to do that.  Brigitte was far more formidable in being the expressive character that Sonja is.

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondasch: we saw it in the Grindhouse films, i think she can pull it off
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AngelFrost

Wooooo :D
    As you can tell from my icon, I can't wait for this movie.
    And I saw her talking about Red Sonja on Twitter last weeek.

I think Rose looks amazing as Red Sonja, and I can see this movie being a combination of 300 and Sin City. with it's gritty tone and colour splashes.

I can't wait.

No Caption Provided
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8  Edited By Decept-O

When Brigitte (correct spelling) Nielsen donned the Red Sonja chain mail back in the day, she was quite a stunning lad and very hot.   We all know however any hotness she had  evaporated into whatever bottle she's been hitting.   

Rose is an attractive woman with a lithe frame, and while I wouldn't mind one bit seeing her as Red Sonja I would opt for someone a bit more "Amazon-esque" but it isn't necessary. 
      I'd like to see another Red Sonja movie, whomever is cast. 
    DorianOtten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DorianOtten

i agree with the general consensus. she just isn,t physically suitable for the part she's only about 5'4''. red sonja's meant to be tall and athletic
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I wouldn't mind seeing Rose McGowan on Red Sonja :)

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AngelFrost

Geeze people are so negative  ¬¬
     Woo, let's all get Angelina Jolie or Jessica Alba. Maybe Megan Fox while we're at it.

Rose is a good actress, Not as well known which is perfect. As looks go, she's beautiful, sexy and suits red hair, which most actresses can't pull off.

She obviously needs more muscle on her, but that's not a huge problem and it can be fixed easily. Which I'm sure they will do. Bridgitte was good, but she didn't exactly  look like Red Sonja, with her strawberry blonde hair.  Atleast they are trying this time.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dondasch
    @AngelFrost said:
    "  Geeze people are so negative  ¬¬  Woo, let's all get Angelina Jolie or Jessica Alba. Maybe Megan Fox while we're at it. Rose is a good actress, Not as well known which is perfect. As looks go, she's beautiful, sexy and suits red hair, which most actresses can't pull off.  She obviously needs more muscle on her, but that's not a huge problem and it can be fixed easily. Which I'm sure they will do. Bridgitte was good, but she didn't exactly  look like Red Sonja, with her strawberry blonde hair.  Atleast they are trying this time. "
    It's not at all about being negative.  She simply isn't the right person to be Red Sonja.  I cannot, for the life of me, see her fill the role that Brigitte (thank you Decept O) Nielsen made famous. 

@MistressRedhead  She didn't have that physical a role in the movie you're referencing.  Red Sonja will have a lot more to do with physicality, that CGI simply can't gloss over.
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwh
    @dondasch said:

" I don't exactly equate bad a** with Rose McGowan.  She simply doesn't strike me of being able to do that.  Brigitte was far more formidable in being the expressive character that Sonja is. "

She's like 6 and a half feet tall, though. You'd have to go to the WWE or something to find a woman like that, and she'd probably act about as well as Brigitte did. Which is fine, I think this movie only works if its corny as hell. If they think they're gonna do femme fatale 300, well that's just not going to work out for them.
    I mean, this woman here isn't even wiry. How am I supposed to believe she can even pick up a sword with arms like that?
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Illuminarch

Someone actually thinks Rose McGowan is a good actress? Pray tell, what were some of her good roles? She's not even attractive anymore. There's a reason she's only ever attached to Robert Rodriguez projects, and she only gets to star in those because she's humping him.

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondasch: in Grindhouse? she had a fairly physical role
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By EdwardWindsor

its gotta be better than the original lol

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

I think Rose McGowan kinda looks like a big-eyed frog-person, albeit with a mighty fine body attached. She has the build, and maybe with the right make-up and lighting, she can pull it off...but that "teaser" poster of her licking the sword immediately turns me off, because those eyes of hers...Well, for D&D fans, I'd call her a Bullywug with boobies. That's all I got.

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrCipher

Gotta admit, Rose McGowan has become something of a PSD in the last few years. Had I not known she was in Grindhouse I wouldn't have reconginized her and would have though "wow that woman looks a lot like Rose McGowan". 
    I'm curious if she can pull off Red Sonja; I would rather not see a woman with a guy's physique in the role, but neither do I want a little pixie with a sword thats as long as she is tall. 
    I have my doubts, but the promo poster up top is intriguing... 
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bruce Vain

I never thought Rose McGowan was attractive until I saw her in Grindhouse : Planet Terror. For some reason she looked sexy to me. Maybe cause she toned up and was more fit looking. I don't know what it was but she just looked good to me. But I don't know if I see her as Red Sonja. She might be able to pull it off , but to me it's hard to put her in the same boat with Bridgitte Nielsen. Since Bridgitte had that amazon quality and beauty to go along with it when she played Sonja. NOW these days her face looks like a catcher's mitt. lol. So yea I wouldn't be against Rose being Red Sonja, but I would maybe like to see someone more amazonish to play her. If not I'll settle for Rose.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NightFang3

I hope this move is made but it better be done right!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Kick ass movie heroines have been getting more respect in movies. Angelina Jolie really helps with her role as Lara Croft. Further encouraged by Kate Beckinsale  in the Underworld series. Women can kick ass and look good doing it.

Sadly, there have also been movies that hurt that cause. Such as the litterbox of a movie Catwoman starring Halle Berry. That took what deserved to be an amazing movie and turned it into a camp-fest. Here's hoping that after the next Batman movie they will develop a good characterization of Catwoman and that will cause a good spin off. I always hated the idea that Catwoman is some sort of super powered person who is revived by cats.

Avatar image for stereonovapostfun
    stereonovapostfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked McGowan in Planet Terror.. She was kind of a superhero in that movie -having a machine gun instead of a leg !- 
    Rodriguez is a crazy genious,perfect for shooting action movies. 
    So...I really don't have a doubt,that this movie will be a good one..
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By jefprice

We'll se it. 

welshguy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By welshguy79

Ewww. I may be in the minority here but that promo poster of her licking the sword... eww. Puts me right off the whole flick. Mind you, seeing as how its directed by Robert Rodrigeuz is another thing that puts me off it.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By warlock360

I read  rosie o'donnell

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Media_Master

I bet she likes her steak rare

babynaka2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By babynaka2001

am i willing to give rose a chance?... not really sorry but i think a tree stump could act better then her, her voice alone is irratating.... yea we all kno why she has the role, like someone posted before she's humping rod! 
     yea the posters look great, but lets break it down ppl... how far can rose really carry this movie? 

she's already hurt herself...    

Rose McGowan injured her elbow on set of Red Sonja 
        9 September 2009 4:18 PM    

According to Fox News, actress Rose McGowan lost part of her elbow whilst in-training for her new role as the title character in the Red Sonja remake.

"I had wrist and elbow surgery and they took part of my elbow out. I had really bad nerve damage from doing stunts - I do a lot of my own stunts," McGowan recently told Tarts. "I could no longer use my arm, but now I can hold a fork and drive so we're working our way up. It'll probably be another six months of rehab, but It's the price you pay for being really limber and being able to do back flips!"

The news site says that production was brought to a standstill, though principal photography has not yet started. The word is the shoot will be put back for at least six months. More here.    

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By grimreaper1980

i hope not

wickedwillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wickedwillow

I like Rose but i have doubts about her pulling this movie off. Bridgett was tough and a total kick ass babe. Rose doesn't have experience in tough female action roles. They should've picked Milla joviach. She kicks ass plus she looks good with red hair.

CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By CaptHowdy

Sorry, I am really jazzed about Rose McGowan playing Sonja for many reasons.  Action hero-wise, she was phenomenal in that Grindhouse film.  People that dis her size, heck if they can make hobbits on screen they can make her look tall enough.  She also can play an outright crazed lunatic which suits Sonja's anger issues toward men and everything else just fine!

I am so glad they chose someone who can actually ACT instead of just eye candy, although McGowan is awesome eye candy too.  It would have been a tragedy if they got some bubbly idiot or erm, Megan Fox with a wig to play the role.

CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

User Lists: 11

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.