A red power ring was formed by Atrocitus following the Sinestro Corps War.
A red ring feeds on the rage of its user, and is charged by the blood of those the user kills. Red rings constantly emit words such as "Kill", "Rage", "Pain", "Hatred", "Blood", "Burn", and occasionally the names of those that have wronged them or their victims that the Red Lantern in question cared for.
Red Lantern Ring Greeting
"You have great rage in your heart. You belong to the Red Lantern Corps."
Red Lantern Corps Oath
"With blood and rage of crimson red,
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
Together with our hellish hate,
We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"
Powers & Abilities
As a conduit of power from the red range of the emotional spectrum, the Red Power rings have a number of abilities akin to those of other Lantern Rings.
- Animation: A Red Lantern can will objects to move how he or she wants.
- Rage Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people. Red Lantern Constructs are made of the liquid fire of rage, which is expelled from the mouth, and replaces the Lantern´s blood.
- Artificial Intelligence: The ring acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other.
- Burglar Alarm: A Lantern can coat anything with the rings beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The rings can act as a personal communicator between Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projections: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Flight: The rings allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The rings can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands, control a person's mind, create illusions, or uncover a person's memories, even from their subconscious.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring but will last only twenty-four (24) hours.
- Temperature Control: The rings can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero(point at which even subatomic particles, such as electrons, cease to move).
Unique Powers & Abilities
It appears that each new Lantern Corps Ring as unique abilities. For Red Power Rings, these abilities include:
- Life-Force: Red Lanterns' hearts are replaced in function by the ring. The blood spoils and the ring expels it from the bearers mouth in a vomit of violent rage. The ring's energy replaces their blood. A Red Lantern's veins stretch as they fill with the liquid fire of the red light. Red Lantern cannot remove the their ring without risking death. However, a Blue Lantern's ring has shown the ability to reverse this process, even going so far as to destroying a Red Lantern Power Ring. In later stories this weakness has been removed in few lanterns withholding a ring, Guy Gardner for example can adorn and remove his own without suffering caustic effects.
- Heart Replacement: In addition to replacing the blood, the ring also works as the heart. If the heart is removed the Red Lantern will continue to live. This was demonstrated when Atrocitus' heart was torn out by a Black Lantern.
- Corrosion Blasts: The ring's energy is discharged as a liquid capable of burning in the vacuum of space. This liquid has been described as a napalm/acid mix. This fire can burst forth from a wielder's ring and can be vomited out in their mouth with devastating effect. A Red Lantern's fire has been known to burn through a Green Lantern's force field and rapidly deplete the power levels of other opposing corps power rings.
- Rage Detection/Control: Hateful emotions, such as rage, can be manipulated by the ring user. A Red Lantern can detect the rage in the heart of others and by connection the heart that pumps that blood. The rage and hatred of a individual red lantern empowers their abilities as well as the rage and hatred of others. The red ring's energy can also corrupt the energies of other power rings, infecting others with rage. The only known cure to to the rage of the red lanterns is the blue light of hope.
- Rage Telepathy: A stronger or more experienced individual can use the ring to peer into the minds of other particularly wrathful individuals. In order to discern their motives and intent to aid in judging them accordingly, this is a useful but dangerous skill to possess as if the ring wielder isn't strong enough to handle these furious thoughts they run the risk of being overwhelmed by them
- Pure Rage: The ring has made everyone, with the exception of Atrocitus, Bleez and later Rankorr lose all of their mental capabilities and experience only rage. Recently The leader of the corps had discovered a means to restore the rational mindset of his lanterns giving them cognitive perception to temper they're infinite rage.
- Rage Mind Control: Exposure to the Red Lantern Light fills an individual with an uncontrollable amount of rage, but Atrocitus founded the process of controlling those effected by his light. Turning anyone touched by the corps energy into bloodthirsty drones which can be puppeteered to any degree the individual Red Lantern sees fit. To that extent it also serves as a call beacon for a lantern ring, the more powerful the recipeints anger, the greater likelihood there is a Red Ring will find its way to their finger.
- Rage Form: Red rings trigger odd transformations within certain wearers with a particularly powerful amount of anger and hatred. Such as the case with Rankorr or Judge Sheko who both seemed to store and repress their underlying fury at the world for the longest time. Those who are changed by the Red Light seem to retain a greater cognitive capacity than most other lanterns of the corps, as well as gaining an increase in power and strength compared to their more feral brethren. In the case of Sheko she underwent a more monstrous transformation which gave her phenomenal amounts physical ability while boasting a cold, cunning and more tactile; if still guttural mindset.
- Haemopotent Replication: Red's can gain certain powers and abilities from other Lanterns of their corps, Rankorr could create constructs with his red energy and Atrocitus could drink his plasmoid blood to replicate this power. If one Red Lantern partook of another Red Lantern's rage plasma they could gain they're unique abilities.