Follow

Red Lanterns

Volume »

A New 52 production, Red Lantern sees the birth of the Red Lanterns and their tales throughout the DC Universe.

Red Lanterns #31

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Guy Gardner is on a recruitment drive, collecting up all the recently minted Red Lanterns he can in anticipation of open conflict with Atrocitus, who’s doing the same thing. Their first stop is already proving problematic as a raging Red is obliterating everything in sight on her morally corrupt world. Even Atroctius is stunned by her power and after Guy and Kara launch a desperate gambit that backfires, things look bleak. I really like the dynamic between Kara and Guy in this book as we see that being a Red Lantern is harder than the youthful Kryptonian may have believed. I absolutely love the way Charles Soule writes her: impulsive but not stupid, intelligent but not wise and stubborn, but not unmoving. It’s one helluva balancing act. It’s also been really compelling watching Guy slowly turn into a great leader AND a great character. The supporting cast gets a little more back-seated, but that’s not a problem in this case as they’ve had a lot of spotlight recently. We also get reminded that Atrocitus’ powers extend beyond the red rings, and I always like seeing semi-obscure character attributes get referenced.

Alessandro Vitti’s linework does what it always does: offer up great, precise details and well-defined characters and setting. The action is intense and fluid, with a lot of great kinetic force and the illusion of motion. J. Calafiore takes over linework on a few pages, but the two styles merge perfectly, creating no disruption Gabe Eltaeb on colors brings his usual rich, full palette to the book, showing off some of the deepest, most nuanced reds you’ll find in comics. And this one is redder than MOST issues, but it still looks visually arresting and diverse.

The Bad

The art struggles in the occasional panel where faces looking smushed or otherwise “off” with features differing or being misaligned from one panel to the next. This is a rare problem but when it happens, it’s very visible.

The Verdict

The Five-Star Mustache may have become a Van Dyke, but the five-star appellation remains appropriate. This book is consistently fun, consistently action-packed and even finds the time for a great joke or two. For having such amazing fight scenes with some incredibly comedic moments, it never breaks tone. It’s a very pure superhero book, but it’s also part road movie, packing all these bizarre characters together and letting them all shine. If the cast is going to expand, as this issue makes it seem, I can’t see a problem with that.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By micah007123

I'm starting to like the Reds more than the Greens.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think you mean Red Lanterns 31 but otherwise great issue Reds 4 Life!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JakeN7

I'm officially confused...

I feel like you reviewed the right issue, but titled the review and used the image for last month's issue instead. Isn't it Red Lanterns #31 not #30?

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@micah: I'm with you. The reds have more personality than the greens also

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JakeN7
    mksystem74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah:

I haven't liked Green Lantern since Venditti took over. He's doing great with Flash, but with GL, eh. I can't seem to part with the title just yet though. I may switch over to red though, seems like the more quality one as of late.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad I stuck it out with this series. Came close to dropping it so many times, but thankfully they got my favorite earth Lantern with them now. Now if only G'Nort would join them... :P

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they've made the red & Yellow Corps matter.Maybe the StarSaphires as well.

Now if only they could make the Blues, & Indigos relievant. & could we at least get a second Orange Lantern so Larfleeze has someone to fight over the corp with.

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
    BatmanOnTheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next to Batman and Eternal, this is the only DC book I keep picking up. I'm loving it, really. I was crushed to see Soule leave Thunderbolts, and I sure hope that doesn't happen here. He makes this book. A few things...

I think it's officially a Five Star Beard at this point. It's way too... beard... to be a mustache. I seriously think you should think about changing your mustache/beard stance in the future.

And it doesn't matter really, but this is only Part 2 of the Judgement Day storyline not 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.