Follow

Red Lanterns

Volume »

A New 52 production, Red Lantern sees the birth of the Red Lanterns and their tales throughout the DC Universe.

Red Lanterns #27

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Ya know...BEFORE Charles Soule came along, I had a good thing going. Everyone (from creators to characters) was taking Guy Gardner too seriously, his arrogance was completely unchecked, my hatred for him was totally justified. Then Mr. Soule comes along and has to go and RUIN a perfectly good hatefest by making the character’s ridiculousness be acknowledged by others. And acknowledged by HIMSELF. And actually form him into an interesting, different kind of character. And now? He’s given him a SWEET MUSTACHE. Review over. Five-star mustache...yeah, okay, the rest of the issue’s great too. We get to see the Reds survey their work having liberated their first planet from injustice, but now it’s time to account for some unanswered questions. So while Bleez and Rankorr go off in search of their fallen comrade’s ring, the other Reds head to Earth for a tour courtesy of Guy Gardner. I’m a big fan of this tactic of splitting up the two human Red Lanterns as it always feels a little redundant when they’re around and starts to smack of the Green Lantern books a little too much. And, of course, Soule does a fantastic job of differentiating the characters and injecting some much-needed levity into this book from both groups, with Zox’s burning question in particular getting a chuckle.

Art is divided amongst the series’ regulars and they alternate throughout the issue with Alessandro Vitti taking the earthbound Lanterns while J. Calafiore handles the space cases and this division of labor serves the book quite well. It’s clear when it happens, but the fact that it’s got a clear divide and setting change stops it from being too abrupt and unexpected as well as ensuring a continuity of tone. That’s also helped by colorist Gabe Eltaeb across the entire issue, and the art stands out amazingly. There’s not much in the way of action, but the character interactions, and especially the expressions and body language, are absolutely perfect and even someone with seemingly a single expression like Skallox is able to get so much across with the rest of his gestures and stances. The colors, as always, stand out on the page and, have a wonderful diversity for a book that has the color red at its core. And I haven’t even mentioned the reappearance of an old Gardner flame (for a hint, check out the cover. And by “hint,” I mean she’s clearly on the cover).

The Bad

There’s very little dislike about this book. I’d say I’m disappointed we didn’t get to see more of Zox and Skallox’s globetrotting adventures in exchange for the two space exploring Reds, but frankly the banter between Rankorr and Bleez was very well done and worth reading. I’ll say that I wish both groups had gotten their own issue.

The Verdict

After some forays into a bit of confusion and heavier subject matter, Red Lanterns is back to being the hilariously over-the-top ultraviolent title that it’s at its best at. We’re delving a bit into Guy’s past and we’re seeing him try to legitimately improve himself and his way of living to have another chance with the one that got away, and I think it’s ripe for both comedic and romantic tension. Also: Five Star Mustache.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why, but I think puns are always awesome XD. Loved how Atrocitus was just chilling in that house till Rankor and Bleez showed up

It's awesome how we only have to wait a week for the next issue!

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
    batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Gardner looks good with the beard and stache. He looks cooler, like "I'm the s**t here and you know it" kind of cool, lol.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So glad we only have to wait till next week for our next issue with the flip book. But really great issue month in month out this book will always put a smile on my face.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

The cold never bothered Guy anyway.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cold never bothered Guy anyway.

Loading Video...

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Saren

A year ago, this used to be one of the worst books DC was putting out --- now it's one of the best and the two main GL books have been run down into the ground. Time.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best book in the shells :)

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

so glad everyone is liking the reds , i remained faithful since issue 1 . im glad everyone is accepting this lol

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that Ice on the cover? 0.o

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, who ever is running the Green Lantern division of DC is doing a damn good job. These Lantern books are practically bullet proof, none have been canceled, and they're adding more as time goes on. A while back this book was staggering and getting bashed by critics, then Guy shows up and all the sudden this book is getting great scores all across the web.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo:

Is that Ice on the cover? 0.o

Yay!!!! I hope she's still a demi-goddess in the New 52 continuity (*crosses fingers*)!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been loving this series. Skallox and Zoxs' whole bit on Earth was probably my favorite part of this issue. I'm especially happy that they didn't shoe horn in any of the Forever Evil stuff though clearly there are some hints that it is in fact happening. I really hope Guy's form of leadership stays once Atrocitus returns. I like seeing Reds actually living on their curiosities and desires instead of seething with rage until Atrocitus tells them to fight something. I doubt Rankor will side with him over Guy but I wouldn't put it passed Bleez to flip flop like as she tends to do. I had one small nitpick. I was under the impression that by bathing in the blood of their fallen comrades the Reds gain some sort of enhanced ability but they didn't seem to do that with Rachet or perhaps it was off panel. Can't wait for next issue.

TheMagicStik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: They gain the power to create constructs when they consume the blood of Red Lantern who can create constructs.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@themagicstik: Oh I see. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't inherit racial bonuses from their dead or they would be super over powered by now.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found something to dislike about this book, it's the cover!! I had no idea that was ice, she looks WAY too masculine. I think the artist had no idea what the character looked like.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By lifeboy

@blackkitty: I thought she looked great on the cover and in the pages. I liked this comic. But once supergirl is out of the red, so am I!

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blackkitty

Seriously? She looked like a man. I showed it to a friend of mine who didn't even know who that was till I told him. But yeah, I rarely get it. Now mind you, Ice looked much better inside the actual issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.