zack_freeman's Red: Frank #1 - Red: Frank review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
    • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
    • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Red: Frank

Bruce Willis' character, Frank, recalls an assassination mission he had in Cairo during the early 90s whereine he taught a young recruit, the hardway, that it's dangerous to get attached.

The Good

I don't like to compliment books on being "cinematic" because it implies that the highest comics can ever aspire to be is being like a movie. But the combination of spot-on-but-still-fluid likeness, tight dialogue and smooth, intuitive pacing made this comics one of the few I accurately, honestly say "reads" like a movie. You WILL hear Willis and Freeman's voice in your head here. Tight is really the operative word. Noveck and Masters are really at peak perfomance here. I loved how they were able to weave a somber message about the dangers of getting "too close" into an action-packed plot and some sharp conversation. "Lose the girl" indeed.

The Bad

This ends kind of abruptly with some perfunctionary callback - - but who gives a crap? This is a lead-in to a movie. You should know that going in.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

Whew... this is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I never got to read the original Ellis/Hammer Red mini-series, but this is a really strong book in its right. You don't really need to know before or after to enjoy this. Kudos to Wildstorm, who've become DC's de facto spot for licensed titles, because they've given all of these media tie-ins the proper care. None of them have been rushed cash-ins, and this was seriously one of the best told-in-one's I've read in a while.