Follow

Raven

Character » Raven appears in 1730 issues.

Raven battles the forces of evil alongside her adoptive family, the Teen Titans while trying to control her baser, antagonistic instincts she inherited from her demonic father, Trigon.

Tweaks and fixes we want to see

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

We've now had the New 52 version of Raven out and about for roughly half a year and our impressions of her seem to have settled... And quite a few of us aren't liking what we are seeing. So, instead of just saying; 'bring back the old version' I thought it might be entertaining to see what we would do to tweak this new version into a character we can get behind.

My list of tweaks:

• Make her independent, as far as I can tell she is now leaning heavily on her father for support and power whenever something difficult challenges her. And I'd rather see her do stuff like that only when Trigon is nearby, not when she is alone.
    • Make her good, in the past I was drawn to her partially because she was a half-demon that fought the good fight out of her own free will (unlike Etrigan). Like Tim noted; a demon trying to live like a saint, which I thought was an interesting conflict to have.
    • The suit... Most people seem to consider it one of the worst designs of the New 52, I don't like it either for a number of reasons, but I could come to accept it if they simply lifted the hood to make it look like the old beak hood she used to have and just leave her face in shadows. It would still be far too busy for anyone to bother drawing again and again with any kind of accuracy, but at least it wouldn't be impractical.
    • Tell us her plan. This was one of the reasons Wallace's Titans was such a massive failure and I see it being repeated here, both Raven and Deathstroke have plans and reasons for their actions, but we readers are given nothing regarding what it is they are aiming for before the endgame begins... A time when we have stopped really caring and are all very annoyed about the lack of rhyme or reason that's led to it.
    • Write her mysterious/cultivated. By this I mean in the past better writers always took care to make Raven sound different from people of her own age to reflect her upbringing in Azerath, W/P even extended this to how she dressed. Atm I am not sure if I want her to dress like a normal teen (which just seems to be against her old personality) or have her dress in a more unique way (though I thought it was a bit typical she'd go goth).

So, what tweaks do you want to see to get behind this incarnation of Raven?

tsalmavet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tsalmavet

I always loved how Raven was in battle with her self, that's always been a big part of her character. But they haven't done as much to show her internal conflicts in the new 52.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always loved how Raven was in battle with her self, that's always been a big part of her character. But they haven't done as much to show her internal conflicts in the new 52.

Hopefully it's something they will eventually establish for us to see later down the line.

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with everything said here! But a tweak I would make is that she would be older, around the same age as Nightwing, Starfire, and Cyborg because she always is de-aged. Also break her off from this current group of Teen Titans. Raven deserves much better than them. Most fans think she should be apart of Justice League Dark, i agree with. I kind of want raven to be Madame Xanadu's Neice.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wtk1013 said:

I kind of want raven to be Madame Xanadu's Neice.

While interesting, I am not sure making Raven's family tree grander is the right way to go unless you plan on using it. Like, Raven's prime story is already the drama between her and Trigon... do we really need her to be picking another family feud with aunt Morgan le Fay? And if we remember, Zatanna's family tree was cluttered with historical figueres and it rarely played any part in the story being told. But that said, still it's an interesting idea.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make her skin pale.

tsalmavet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tsalmavet

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Raven joining the Justice League Dark. But I think Pre 52 Raven and Pandora from the trinity of sin would have made an awesome team up.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Outside_85

@cyberwarrior:
    Well, for some odd reason, your wish has actually been granted, since the time traveling began Raven's skin has turned very pale... and she has blue lips, but it's not been explained why (and no one seems to have noticed it).

@tsalmavet: Right now, New 52 Raven and Constantine could have been cool, since they are both people who manipulate those around them.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior:

Well, for some odd reason, your wish has actually been granted, since the time traveling began Raven's skin has turned very pale... and she has blue lips, but it's not been explained why (and no one seems to have noticed it).

@tsalmavet: Right now, New 52 Raven and Constantine could have been cool, since they are both people who manipulate those around them.

Blue lips?! Not cool...

tsalmavet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

What do you think about her being in the justice league dark?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsalmavet: I'd love it, I think she should have been part of it from issue 1, it would finally give her some breath of experience with the rest of the DC magical corner, but I don't think it's likely she will get there anytime soon because DC apparently can't see her outside of being a Teen Titan.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.