Follow

Raven

Character » Raven appears in 1730 issues.

Raven battles the forces of evil alongside her adoptive family, the Teen Titans while trying to control her baser, antagonistic instincts she inherited from her demonic father, Trigon.

Comic suggestions for a newbie Raven fan

Kurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Hello all

I am a new member who joined Comicvine in hopes of satisfying my newly discovered love for Raven from the 2003 TV show. I know absolutely nothing about her comic iteration and was hoping that you experienced people could guide me. Raven from the cartoon was the one I grew up with and the one I love, so jumping to her original portrayal might be too much of a shock for me.

Could you list a couple books for me to get my feet wet? Again, if ones closest to her TV portrayal exist, let's start with those.

Thanks! :D

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2 tparks  Online

Anything Teen Titans written by Wolfman.

TamarStevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's always the collections of the old comics based directly on the 2003 continuity. Those are surprisingly good and introduce levels of the DCU that the actual show didn't and couldn't. Including in one case directly adapting one of Wolfman's storylines to the cartoon continuity.

The most recent miniseries is one of the best takes on blending the vastly different Wolfman-Perez 80s take with the cartoon version. The original miniseries she had with the LSD-worthy art was a worthy attempt itself but the art is......terrible.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@kurk: I recommend her Brave and the Bold team-up with Supergirl:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, those guys are on the cover (it's two separate stories). Don't worry about that, although I enjoyed that half of the book too - it's a pretty dark story.

She utilizes sarcasm in it and her buddy cop dynamic with Kara is enjoyable with the irony of the goth kid being more altruistic than the girl in the "S-shield" who was more of a rebel at this point.

She even gets to put the Kryptonian in her place. :P

Her aforementioned recent solo is probably the best take on combining the two personalities, I find her character in that one particularly appealing.

I am assuming she will have the same persona in the in her upcoming series Daughter of Darkness, so I'll just go ahead and recommend that one too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.