Follow

Ra

Character » Ra appears in 67 issues.

Ra is the ancient sun god of Egyptian mythology.

why there is no "Ra" character in Marvel ?

Avatar image for all_mighty_beyonder
    All_Mighty_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Marvel has created most of the Godly pantheons, the most known atleast, they created the norse pantheon with his highest leader Odin, the greek pantheon with his highest leader Zeus, the Japanese pantheon with his highest leader Izanagi, but they created the egyptian pantheon without the highest leader. i mean Odin was the king in norse mythology, Zeus was the king in greek mythology...etc, but the king in egyptian mythology isn't Osiris or Horus as they are referring in comics, the real king is Ra.

i think Marvel writers are missing a lot, maybe they have little knowlege of egyptian myths, but creating a story about Ra and his fight against Apophis and including the main super heroes in this story will be really amazing!!! they are really missing good opportunities here.

instead of bringing the real Ra as interpreted in Mythologies, they created a lame character called Atum Demogorge and they made him the first father of egyptian pantheon. that was really lame.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Marvel has the Norse and Greek pantheons.

DC has the Greek and Egyptian pantheons.

Kind of a trade off, you could say.

foolkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By foolkiller1

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: Marvel's not ignorant to Egyptian gods, evident by their attempt to push moon knight (avatar to khonshu). I think it was a missed opportunity to not delve all the way into Egyptian mythology.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Ever wonder what the apostrophe in Ra's Al Ghul was for?

Ra's Al Ghul = Ra is Al Ghul

If you look at this map, Egypt is just across the water from Saudi Arabia:

No Caption Provided

Ra has been secretly masquerading as an Arabian man for many years, forming the League Of Assassins to do his bidding. "Ra’s is an eco-terrorist and his purpose with the League of Assassins is to eliminate all evil in the world. He concludes that the only way to do so is to destroy all of humanity and start all over." This is kinda like the Christian God wanting to start over like in the Noahs' Ark story(weirdly, that's the second time I've referenced that on this site). Once he wipes out all of humanity, he'll return to his role as the creator, and create a new race of humans, free from evil this time around.

O.K. Maybe that's not true. But it could happen. Maybe.

:)

All_Mighty_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@V_Scarlotte_Rose:

nice interpretation, but i think it's not what Ra's Al Ghul means. he's arabian and his name is simply arab.

"Ra's" as exactly spelled means "head" in arab.

"Al Ghul" also well spelled means "ghoul" in arab.

his name means literally "head of the ghoul"

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: It is actully explained in the comics, and his name actully means "The demon's head". I'm not sure if this is accurate.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By Teerack

@JediXMan: @All_Mighty_Beyonder: Marvel has all of them actually. The Egyptians even have two sky fathers. http://www.comicvine.com/osiris/29-13962/ and http://www.comicvine.com/horus/29-13961/

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Ra wasn't the king of the Egyptian gods he was the god of the gods also that is a picture of Horus not Ra

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: Yeah I know. Just being whimsical. :)

All_Mighty_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarkKnightDetective: yes!! exactly what i said, ghoul, demon it's the same thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Teerack: i know Horus and Osiris but there is no Ra who is in egyptian mythology above both of them, their protector and their king and all father.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Jonny_Anonymous: yes i know, i just didn't find cooler picture, and Ra sometimes has hawk head as Horus, and sometimes has human head. and in Marvel there is Elder Gods who are gods of gods, why not put Ra as one of them? they came out with a lame character as Elder god named Atum Demogorge but i can't accept that he's the Marvel interpretation of Ra.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teerack

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: If that's true then he was probably in the generation before Odin.

All_Mighty_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Teerack said:

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: If that's true then he was probably in the generation before Odin.

yes!! according to myths he was the first to come out from primeval waters (oblivion in Marvel) then he created everything, he created Tefnut (Moisture) and Shu (Air). From this first divine pair sprang the sky goddess Nut and earth god Geb, who created the universe and gave birth to the gods Osiris, Isis, Set, Nephthys, and Horus.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teerack

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: No. I forget their names but they showed Odin's parents a few times in The Mighty Thor and in Journey into Mystery. The Different types of Gods don't mix they have Parallel lines at least as far back as Marvel has shown. Although Sense Thor and Hercules call each other cousin I would assume if we kept going back we'd get to The One Above All or The Living Tribunal or someone who was there at the start of everything.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gravitypress
    dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dondave

@All_Mighty_Beyonder:

Marvel named him Ammon Ra

This

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jorgevy

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: are you egyptian?

All_Mighty_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Teerack said:

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: No. I forget their names but they showed Odin's parents a few times in The Mighty Thor and in Journey into Mystery. The Different types of Gods don't mix they have Parallel lines at least as far back as Marvel has shown. Although Sense Thor and Hercules call each other cousin I would assume if we kept going back we'd get to The One Above All or The Living Tribunal or someone who was there at the start of everything.

Odin's father is named Bor, and the prime parents of all pantheons are Gaea and Demiurge ( Elder Gods) according to Marvel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@gravitypress: @dondave:

yeah, that looks like the closest interpretation to Ra, but he's really neglected, he has no feats no established story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Jorgevy:

hhh, no, what makes you think so ? i just like mythologies that's all.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AtPhantom

What would be the point of having Ra around?

All_Mighty_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AtPhantom said:

What would be the point of having Ra around?

2 things :

1. it's unfair to egyptian pantheon, norse pantheon has Odin, greek pantheon has Zeus, but egytian pantheon hasn't it's real king. maybe even Ra should be placed at Elder God level.
    2. creating a story about Ra and his eternal fight with Apophis to protect reality would be great!! specially if they could add to it super heroes intervention (avengers, X men...)
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AtPhantom

@All_Mighty_Beyonder:

1. Nobody cares? The Egyptian pantheon is not a person that can be insulted, nor do they have anyone to be insulted on their behalf. There are dozens or hundreds of pantheons out there that are represented even less and nobody cares about them either. Just because Age of Mythology instituted the Greeks, Norse and Egyptians as some kind of pagan trinity doesn't mean you have to pay equal measure unto each of them.

2. Epic struggles to protect reality are a dime a dozen in comics. That's not a good reason to demand a character. Odin had an epic struggle with Surtur as well, but that's not the reason Odin exists in comic. Odin and Zeus exist not because the mythology they're based upon demand them to exist but because they provide excellent foils for their sons, the heroes of the story and the ones it's all about. They have a purpose within the comics they were created for. What would be Ra's purpose? To be just another monster/helping entity of the week? You can only tell the story of his with Apophis once before it gets repetitive. After a while he'll just be limited down to group shot appearances when the council of godheads meet. You know, like every other member of that group. That's boring and meaningless. The point is that characters should be created for a purpose, not just because the source material mandates their existence.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediXMan said:

Actually, Marvel has Egyptian and DC has Norse (at least a few), but they're not so common.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@ShootingNova said:

@JediXMan said:

Actually, Marvel has Egyptian and DC has Norse (at least a few), but they're not so common.

I can't speak for the Marvel and Egypt thing, because I myself haven't seen that - or I can't remember. DC's Norse pantheon, from what I've seen, is limited to Vertigo. There were a lot of Norse gods in Sandman.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShootingNova

@All_Mighty_Beyonder: Also, the King in Egyptian myth is dependent on time, cult, etc.

Atum-Ra (by this I mean Atum or Ra, or just Atum-Ra) is considered the first king, then it goes down to Osiris, Set, Horus, etc.

Also, Nut and Geb didn't give birth to Horus, who was the son of Isis and Osiris. At least in most myths.

Nut and Geb didn't create the universe either, it was often Ptah, or sometimes Atum-Ra out of loneliness.

@AtPhantom: And I agree with this.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediXMan: Well, Seth and Odin did fight at one point. Something to do with rending the fabric of the multiverse?

Avatar image for alienrobotzombieoverlord
    AlienRobotZombieOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atum is actually Egyptian and was the first god in some of the oldest versions of Egyptian mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_mythology

In the Marvel universe, Ra is the son of Atum and Gaea (whom Marvel connects with various Egyptian names for primordial Earth goddesses). That's slightly different than in Egyptian mythology, but not too much. And the Egyptians themselves had no consistent mythology. (The same goes for the Greeks and Scandinavians.) They constantly changed their stories from city to city and year to year. So some editorial decisions just had to be made.

Also, in the Marvel universe Ra goes by the full name of Ammon-Ra: http://marvel.wikia.com/Ra

(Frankly, I think that was just to avoid confusion because it's such a short name and there may have already been other people going by the name of "Ra" in the Marvel universe.)

The Egyptian gods have actually featured quite often in the Marvel universe, especially in stories centered around Thor and the Asgardians: http://marvel.wikia.com/Heliopians

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations ra will be moon knights new villain

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.