Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

why should i start reading punisher?

gats_botl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gats_botl

i have heard a little bit about the punisher and i have never read any of his books but i would like to.

i have been told he is just a murderer and just a thug but i want to know how you guys feel and persuade me to read him.

TheAntiReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheAntiReVamp

Imagine your avatar but if he used lethal weapons.

MasterXavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MasterXavier

Frank is a really complicated character, he could be anything, a person who thinks is doing what has to be done and no one else will, a serial killer who just happens to target criminals, or a broken man punishing himself for what happened to his family, there are many interpretations to the character and that is interesting, written in several styles ranging from black humor to complete seriousness, if you want to read the character you should start with the run from author Garth Ennis, the best punisher writer ever, from the mainstream universe to the MAX line he did it perfectly, however if you want start simple and see more about the current and more modern state of the character without a lot of the backstory, only the necessary, then I recommend you to pick up the most current one, Greg Rucka´s run (I assume you recognise that name, you must) where he shows the consequences of Frank´s actions from other people perspectives and how Frank can exist in a world with the likes of spiderman and the avengers, I think the first 6 issues were released in paperback not too long ago, its really great and a good beginning for people new with the punisher.

gats_botl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gats_botl

@MasterXavier said:

Frank is a really complicated character, he could be anything, a person who thinks is doing what has to be done and no one else will, a serial killer who just happens to target criminals, or a broken man punishing himself for what happened to his family, there are many interpretations to the character and that is interesting, written in several styles ranging from black humor to complete seriousness, if you want to read the character you should start with the run from author Garth Ennis, the best punisher writer ever, from the mainstream universe to the MAX line he did it perfectly, however if you want start simple and see more about the current and more modern state of the character without a lot of the backstory, only the necessary, then I recommend you to pick up the most current one, Greg Rucka´s run (I assume you recognise that name, you must) where he shows the consequences of Frank´s actions from other people perspectives and how Frank can exist in a world with the likes of spiderman and the avengers, I think the first 6 issues were released in paperback not too long ago, its really great and a good beginning for people new with the punisher.

will the greg rucka's stuff be graphic novels

MasterXavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MasterXavier

@gats_botl: Yes but it might take a while, he will finish his ongoing with issue 16 (currently its in issue 13) and then go to write the 5 issue miniseries "Punisher: War zone" that shows the fallout of his actions in issue 16 when the avengers decide that they cannot let him run around anymore, counting the 3 issue crossover with "Avenging spiderman" and "Daredevil", plus the one-shot he did in "Spider-island", that makes 24 issues, sound good omnibus material to me, but again, it will take a LONG time. I recommend you to pick the first trade paperback to see that you will like it.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Brit

I.M.O. please start with Rucka's work and if you want to get the grim and gritty stories you must read Ennis' run on the MAX imprint and for the LOVE OF GOD avoid Remender's FrankenCastle shit... It is a total direspect to Frank.. if you have a copy please recycle as toilet paper - its the only thing that series is good for.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By RoboShark

I dug the over the top FrankenCastle. But yeah Rucka's current run is great too bad it's not selling and is wrapping up. I just got into Punisher over the past year or so. I'm in the middle of Ennis' MAX run.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Imagine_Man15

Frank Castle is a psychopath. But he's the best kind of psychopath. He has a strong conviction to cleaning up crime, and delivering justice. He is more about punishing the guilty than protecting the innocent. While he has the capacity for compassion, and has a strong dedication to never shoot an innocent, he will mercilessly pursue and kill criminals. He is obsessed. He is determined. And he'll never stop until he draws his last breath.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.