Why can't Marvel make a successful Punisher movie?

• 57 results
#1 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a story about an ex-marine seeking revenge by killing thugs, I could name at least 60 successful action movies with that premise or one very similar, he has no super powers and generally deals with non super powered criminals, his villains very rarely even wear costumes so right there you have more believability and relatabilty than your average comic movie. On paper he should be the easiest comic character to translate to film that Marvel has, so why does it seem like they have so much trouble launching him in theaters?

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

Very good question. IMO, "War Zone" got the violence level right, and "The Punisher" got the tragic side right..... now if they can just merge those successfully, we have a perfect Punisher movie.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

Very good question. IMO, "War Zone" got the violence level right, and "The Punisher" got the tragic side right..... now if they can just merge those successfully, we have a perfect Punisher movie.

Totally agree. War Zone was not a bad film IMO
#4 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38932 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

Very true.
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#5 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (18101 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

Exactly. That movie was insane, i loved it.
#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

What no love for the Dolph Lundgren version?

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime` said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

What no love for the Dolph Lundgren version?

When The Punisher doesn't even wear a skull, there's a problem. ;P

#8 Posted by cattlebattle (17777 posts) - - Show Bio

They can never get the character right

Punisher 1988--Frank Castle teams up with criminals.....wtf??

Punisher 2002--I feel he was portrayed as more of a hero in this film, and apparently tweeked his origin story a bit...some of it even resembled Mad Max

War Zone--had the right actor, and violent content...just a crappy story man, and bad supporting actors

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like aspects of both Warzone and the 2002 movie tho Jigsaw was completely disappointing and as for 2002 Travolta ruined that one,hopefully now that Marvel has the rights to it they can figure out how to make it right

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#11 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I liked War Zone...

#12 Posted by vance_astro (90095 posts) - - Show Bio

To be perfectly honest I liked all of the Punisher movies even the one with Lundgren. They don't do as well as Spider-Man,Wolverine and other characters because he's not as popular in comics as they are.That's just what it is.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: Whether or not you liked it isn't the point, its success in the theaters is

#14 Posted by vance_astro (90095 posts) - - Show Bio

The Punisher movie needs The Battle Van, some creative weapons like the ones Stuart Clarke\Rampage created for him, and it needs some other heroes for The Punisher to oppose so they can push the idea that he's a different type of hero.

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: My question tho is why aren't his movies big action blockbusters, it has all the building blocks right in front of it

#16 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3080 posts) - - Show Bio

cause punisher is lame steven segall wannabe.

#17 Posted by Iron_Turtle (590 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney.

#18 Posted by vance_astro (90095 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:
cause punisher is lame steven segall wannabe.
Punisher is nothing like Segal but ok. 

@joshmightbe said:

@Vance Astro: My question tho is why aren't his movies big action blockbusters, it has all the building blocks right in front of it

They need more martial arts.
#19 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iron_Turtle: Disney owned Miramax when they made Pulp Fiction so if they'll let that fly I don't see them trying to hold back the violence of the Punisher

#20 Edited by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01: Punisher appeared around 10 years before Segall's first movie

#21 Posted by cattlebattle (17777 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@Iron_Turtle: Disney owned Miramax when they made Pulp Fiction so if they'll let that fly I don't see them trying to hold back the violence of the Punisher

Did they own it when Kill Bill came out?? That was by far one of the most violent films passed off as an R rating in the US
#22 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Not sure but they did own it when Reservoir Dogs came out

#23 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:A successful punisher movei would require the story to become too far away from the comics, which Marvel doesn't want since while it may be better, it would receive bad criticism from fans of the original medium. IMHO at the very least.

#24 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Why would it have to differ much from the comics, if you take out the super powered people that occasionally show up his story is only slightly different from Rambo, a an unstable vet comes back from Nam and then something sets them off and they become violent, the only real difference here is what set them off and how long they kept going afterwards

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: In fact it's probably work a lot better if they set his origin movie in the late 70's or early 80's

#26 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: Why would it have to differ much from the comics, if you take out the super powered people that occasionally show up his story is only slightly different from Rambo, a an unstable vet comes back from Nam and then something sets them off and they become violent, the only real difference here is what set them off and how long they kept going afterwards

Well, I'm not a Punisher fan, but the way I see it what gets view in the box office (ie is trendy in the movie crowd) generally is something that comic book people don't like. For example: Spiderman 3.

But lets get away from that. Would you be happy with a story of a marine who went to war and starts fighting gangs, ending up trying to kill kingpin X because he's so evil. Because the impression I have is that people wouldn't be all that happy with that. Hell, people are rarely happy with anything, but that's a different story.

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Actually I think it'd be cool he went after the Maggia or Gnucci crime family, keep super villains out of it all together and make it more like Punisher Max. Market it more toward the action movie fans but keep his character as close to his personality in the comics as possible to keep the fanboys happy (happy being a relative term because we all know they're never really happy with anything ever)

#28 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: Actually I think it'd be cool he went after the Maggia or Gnucci crime family, keep super villains out of it all together and make it more like Punisher Max. Market it more toward the action movie fans but keep his character as close to his personality in the comics as possible to keep the fanboys happy (happy being a relative term because we all know they're never really happy with anything ever)

LMAO!

But hey, if it floats your boat, then it definitely floats mine.

#29 Posted by Dernman (26105 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Warzone. I normally like the actor who played Jigsaw but he was terrible in this movie.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: If the Gnucci's are in it we might get to see the scene where Punisher uses a polar bear as a murder weapon on the big screen and you can't tell me that wouldn't be awesome

#31 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: If the Gnucci's are in it we might get to see the scene where Punisher uses a polar bear as a murder weapon on the big screen and you can't tell me that wouldn't be awesome

I, uh. I, like, I, mmm, I...

WHAT?

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: There's an issue where Punisher is trapped in a Zoo by Gnucci family enforcers so he lures them into the polar bear cage where the bear does what bears do, then he set it on Ma Gnucci (the head of the family) and it tore off her arms and legs, tho she did actually survive

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@joshmightbe said:

I, uh. I, like, I, mmm, I...

WHAT?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
#34 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: There's an issue where Punisher is trapped in a Zoo by Gnucci family enforcers so he lures them into the polar bear cage where the bear does what bears do, then he set it on Ma Gnucci (the head of the family) and it tore off her arms and legs, tho she did actually survive

That's... awesome. You've just witnessed the conversion to become a Punisher fan. Believe it or not, I've had some contact with Punisher MAX, but have never gotten around to reading it.

#35 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:I hate that artist though... Same dude that did Wolverine origins right?

#36 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: His Max series is awesome my favorite run is the Barracuda story arc

#37 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: His Max series is awesome my favorite run is the Barracuda story arc

Yeah, I've heard awesome things about it.

#38 Edited by bionder (330 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, they could make two good movies around Punisher Max. For example joining "In the Beggining" with "Up is Down and Black is White" and "Mother Russia" with "Man of Stone".

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87:I hate that artist though... Same dude that did Wolverine origins right?

Yea Romita Jr makes me want to claw my eyes out but its still a good book
#40 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: You'd be amazed at the amount of damage Frank can do with a cheap pocket knife

#41 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

Its Romita? OMG, I hate one less artist than I did 5 minutes ago!

#42 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

Its Romita? OMG, I hate one less artist than I did 5 minutes ago!

Sorry brain fart it was Steve Dillon not Romita 
#43 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: And it didn't go that well? Never looked it up. I always thought it had a decent appearance. Well, the third attempt will go much much better. ;)

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
#44 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8212 posts) - - Show Bio

i think Samuel L Jackson should play Punisher an Tim Burton should Direct it because youll have the best director an the angriest actor ;D

#45 Posted by theicon (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

show a trailer of The Punisher with sniper sights on spider-man, daredevil, captain america and every one will flock to see this movie. have nick fury send shield, black widow and company to hunt him or find out why he is after these heroes! would be a great Punisher movie!

#46 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: Forth attempt

#47 Posted by bionder (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@theicon: That would be a blockbuster for sure.

#48 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno...I've seen three Punisher movies, and thought two of them weren't bad. That's saying something for most franchises.

#49 Posted by ssejllenrad (13112 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I like all 3 Punisher movies. I blame Batman for him being unsuccessful. He is marketed as a comicbook character but people want a powerless vigilante to be far from a "plain" gunslinger/soldier. People want costumes. People want cool unrealistic gadgets.

#50 Posted by bionder (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: IMO people want a good plot and a good supporting characters, and these last two films were not balanced enough. I liked every movie, but if you could mix Punisher 2004 and Punisher: War-Zone in only one, im sure the ratings would improve. Not everyone likes spandex costumes or fancy gadgets. The Punisher from nowadays is none of that and he don't need that, he just needs to wear a kevlar suit with a skull and weapons.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.