Which was worse frankencastle or angelic punisher?

#1 Edited by cody1984 (1366 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of the frankencastle comics weren't complete god awful and it was a different idea it just didn't match frank in any way shape or form.  The supernaturally empowered frank I found to be a better concept.  Granted him getting that power from heaven (an angel) made absolutely no sense and the 4 issue series was one of the worst I ever read but the concept of him getting involved in heaven and hell's affairs and having supernatural weapons I thought was actually not that bad of an idea.  In other words I think it was just horribly done were frankencastle was just a really bad concept all around.  While both were really bad I'd have to say I liked the angelic castle more even though the series was pure trash because the concept I thought was just very very poorly executed where as frankencastle was just a failure all around.  Anyway I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the matter. 

#2 Posted by bjmorga (74 posts) - - Show Bio

They were both equally ill-suited for the character. I do have to give Remender some props because his stories were at least well-written from a technical standpoint. I can't say the same for the two angel/demon/whatever-the-hell-that-was minis.

#3 Posted by PowerHerc (86188 posts) - - Show Bio

Flip a coin; they both sucked.
#4 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

this is kinda like choosing between getting shot and getting stabbed 

#5 Posted by GuruOfFunk (459 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Frankencastle had the legion of monsters....but ya, they were aweful.
#6 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Frankencastle and I haven't read Angelic Punisher.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: let me sum it up, Punisher dies and gets sent back with angel guns to kill demons
#8 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @Caligula: let me sum it up, Punisher dies and gets sent back with angel guns to kill demons "
doesn't sound all that bad from the summary you just gave. i like crazy stuff.
#9 Posted by The Sadhu (860 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankencastle wasn't bad... wasn't good either...

Never read Angelic Punisher...

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: It had potential to be good but at best it was a cheap ghost rider knock off
#11 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @Caligula: It had potential to be good but at best it was a cheap ghost rider knock off "
I haven't read it so I'd be a fool to judge. It will probably be a while if ever I get around to it. There is just too much good Independent stuff these days for me to get much from Marvel or DC they just can't compete with the Indie market these days. imo.
#12 Posted by Brit (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:
" Flip a coin; they both sucked. "
my thoughts exactly...
#13 Posted by spystreak (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

this is basically crap vs crap it all depends on what kinda crap you consider worse Franken Castle is Horse crap ad angelic Punsher is Bull crap

I'm voting for Frankencastle being worse because Daken kiled him and I hate Daken so much they should changethe timeline and have frank kill Daken with the Muramasa blade

#14 Posted by MoodyKingMoron (192 posts) - - Show Bio

neither idea works for the Punisher. He's supposed to be normal compared to other superheroes and crimefighters. Making him an undead monster or an angel of all things is a dumb idea. Seriously, an angel? He's the fricking Punisher, he tortures thugs and brutally kills mobsters, and you make him an angel? Sheesh...

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
#15 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (685 posts) - - Show Bio

Angelic Punisher? So he is basically Constantine with guns?...Gaaaaaay so gaaaaaaay.

SPAWN IS NOT AMUSED

#16 Posted by Feliciano2040 (665 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
this is kinda like choosing between getting shot and getting stabbed 

Pretty much.
#17 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio
@MoodyKingMoron: Well if you go by the original version of what angels were he kind of fits the profile cause originally angels were pretty much gods hit squad
#18 Edited by cody1984 (1366 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@MoodyKingMoron: Well if you go by the original version of what angels were he kind of fits the profile cause originally angels were pretty much gods hit squad

Yes and No.

It's also not that crazy of an idea for someone like Frank to temporarily become Ghost Rider either. No he should not become Ghost Rider permanently but if you ever wanted to give Frank bad ass super powers this would make a hell of a lot more sense than Franken-Castle or Angel Punisher.

#19 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually picked up Franken-Castle in trade the other day and it was not that bad. Granted, it's not Punisher - and it should never be Punisher - but it wasn't terrible. The villain from before Tony Moore left the book entirely (Daken aside) was great in my opinion.  

I haven't read Angel-Punisher. I actually want to, to be honest. Can anyone help me out with the name of a trade or number issues? 

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984: I could see it as a what if but not a canon story
#21 Posted by cody1984 (1366 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
I actually picked up Franken-Castle in trade the other day and it was not that bad. Granted, it's not Punisher - and it should never be Punisher - but it wasn't terrible. The villain from before Tony Moore left the book entirely (Daken aside) was great in my opinion.   I haven't read Angel-Punisher. I actually want to, to be honest. Can anyone help me out with the name of a trade or number issues? 
Punisher Purgatory is a four issue comic of Angel Punisher.  There was one more miniseries with angel punisher but I couldn't make it past reading the second issue because it was literally that f****** bad.   
#22 Posted by cody1984 (1366 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
@cody1984: I could see it as a what if but not a canon story
You think it would be worse than Angel Punisher or Franken-Castle?
#23 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984: no
#24 Posted by bionder (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard to pick one, but i think i prefer Franken-Castle.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
#25 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (12304 posts) - - Show Bio

When did the Angelic Punisher thing happen?

#26 Posted by cody1984 (1366 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

When did the Angelic Punisher thing happen?

Back in 1998 when the Punisher's popularity faded and Marvel tried to reinvent the character.

Avatar image for batflasharrow96
#27 Posted by batflasharrow96 (492 posts) - - Show Bio

There should be a crossover with him and the spectre and he becomes his new host.

#28 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (8418 posts) - - Show Bio

Sound like what they did which Ghost Rider, really making him a servant of the light. Both ideas sound bad to me, I don't understand why they couldn't keep the Punisher the Punisher without any super doper fantastical ideas, that's what made him who he was. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.