Which Punisher comics should I start with?

#1 Posted by AmanSihra (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys I really like the Punisher. I read some comics before and watched the movies. Unfortunately I only own 1 of the issues which is war journal issue 18. I want to buy some of the comics but I dont know where to start. Could someone please tell me which ones are mandatory? Your help is greatly appreciated!

#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio
@AmanSihra: If you're looking for good Punisher stories I would start at the very beginning of the MAX line, you can get the trades on the cheap at Amazon.
#3 Posted by bringdeath (283 posts) - - Show Bio

Most definitely start with Punisher:BORN than In The beginning and then continue the max series chronologically ,then pick up the punisher marvel knights stories. 

Hope this helps :)

#4 Edited by Feliciano2040 (665 posts) - - Show Bio
@AmanSihra: "Welcome Back, Frank" by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon.

That is the absolute, deffinitive first place to start reading Punisher, it collects the first 12 issues of Garth Ennis' first run on the character and it is amazing.

Now, if you liked that, then you can buy more TPB's from the "Marvel Knights" seal (which are about 6 or 7 I think, and only the ones written by Garth Ennis), and then you can start by reading The Punisher from the "MAX" seal, again, by Garth Ennis.

Notice the pattern ? Well, the truth is that there aren't many great Punisher stories unles written by Garth Ennis himself, then again there's the "Punisher: In The Blood" mini-series by Rick Remender which was pretty good, and the current PunisherMAX series by Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon, but you shouldn't really look for this one until you've read everything listed before.
#5 Edited by cody1984 (1366 posts) - - Show Bio

@AmanSihra said:

Hey guys I really like the Punisher. I read some comics before and watched the movies. Unfortunately I only own 1 of the issues which is war journal issue 18. I want to buy some of the comics but I dont know where to start. Could someone please tell me which ones are mandatory? Your help is greatly appreciated!

I just recently got the original Punisher v2 and Punisher War Journal series after having not read them for years and can I honestly say if you never read them your not missing much of anything. Their are a few good stories but most of them are actually pretty bad. So I got to agree with the others here and just say read the Welcome Back Frank 12 issue series Garth Ennis did along with his marvel knights run then jump into MAX and start reading the first couple issues and then read Born or read it first just make sure you read born before Valley Forge since the whole thing will make a lot more sense.

Tyger was a one shot that was good and the Cell was also good but not essential reading. The End was one of the rare bad ennis comics and is something I wouldn't recommend reading. Outside of that there are some other good Punisher stories Punisher's 2009 Xmas Special was pretty good showing how unforgiving the Punisher truly is, Punisher MAX #75 which had several good short stories my favorite being Father's day. Daredevil vs Punisher miniseries was also good since it shows off the two characters rivalry and how they almost beat each other to death in H2H. Punisher MAX annual was also good read because it shows the fear others have of the Punisher and lengths one person goes to try and get away from him.

#6 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by bionder (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Begin with "Welcome Back Frank" and all the Marvel Knights Series written by Garth Ennis, and of course all Max series.

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
#8 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2127 posts) - - Show Bio

punisher kills the marvel universe and MAX although it tries ,childishly, as hard as it can to feel adult like

#9 Posted by bringdeath (283 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary
Childishly?
#10 Posted by labarith (730 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I prefer the 616 "in for a penny" Punisher... his past 2 ongoing series (before the latest reboot, which I don't know if it has happened yet...). 

That covers his actions during the civil war, secret invasion, and through Franken Castle... which even if you hated it qua Punisher, you had to love it qua marvel monsters book.

#11 Posted by cody1984 (1366 posts) - - Show Bio

@labarith said:

which even if you hated it qua Punisher, you had to love it qua marvel monsters book.

No

#12 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (8418 posts) - - Show Bio
@bringdeath said:
Most definitely start with Punisher:BORN than In The beginning and then continue the max series chronologically ,then pick up the punisher marvel knights stories.  Hope this helps :)
Born is very good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.