1. Ultra Violence
  2. Lots of cursing
  3. Great Storytelling
  4. Memorable Characters
  5. Awesome Quotes

It would be a match made in heaven.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by ARMIV2 (10074 posts) - - Show Bio

...I don't know why, but that just seems like it'd be a really off combination to me.

#3 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

One of few comic heroes that would actually fit to Tanrantino's style. But, where will he fit in a scene where two guys talk about movies?

#4 Posted by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehh....gonna have to disagree.

The Punisher works best, I feel, when he's done seriously and the violence is treated with serious consequences. The Garth Ennis MAX run is probably the best example, and while Ennis did try a more black humor take in the Welcome Back, Frank series, his MAX run pulls the character off a lot better. The Punisher is an emotionless force of nature, and his best stories often deal with real-world threats and serious, heavy emotions. The violence may be exaggerated and blackly humorous at some points, but it's never too comedic.

Admittedly, I haven't seen a lot of Tarantino (just Django, Pulp Fiction, and Inglorious Basterds), but from my vague understanding of his style, I don't think it'll fit Punisher too well. Tarantino seems a little too quirky, and many of his directing aspects don't seem to suit the character. For one, long smart dialogue about even the most trivial of matters. And the way he portrays violence seems a little too over-the-top for Punisher.

In short...you know, I don't know why and I can't really correlate my opinion into words...but for some reason, Tarantino just doesn't seem a good fit or the first name that comes to mind when I think of Punisher.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for davethepunisher
#7 Edited by DaveThePunisher (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Tarantino is my fav writer/director but, I agree with what others posted, he would not be a great fit for the Punisher.

The Punisher's story needs to be taken deadly serious... and treated like a serious, hard hitting, drama. I think Thomas Jane's Punisher suffered from the goofy neighbors and War Zone was destroyed by the ultra campy and over-the-top, bad joker impression that was Jigsaw. The best thing about the original Punisher movie with Dolf... was that the bad guys were believable! And scary! You actually believed them as real killers and actual threats.

Mann would be a good director... although, not to sound like a cliche fanboy, but Nolan's Dark Knight universe is the perfect tone for the Punisher. it is serious and dramatic yet still enjoyable. I find many of Mann's movies (except for Heat) are very serious but very boring.

#8 Edited by LSROTJ (126 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a time when Quentin Tarantino made good films... now he just makes crappy movies on purpose.

Dirty Laundry (Directed by Phil Joanou and written by Chad St. John) proved that you don't have to be Nolan to make a good Punisher film.

Sorry but...

• Ultra Violence
  • Lots of cursing
  • Great Storytelling
  • Memorable Characters
  • Awesome Quotes

This doesn't make a good Punisher film or a good action film in general.

#9 Edited by Vampire_Batman (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Tarantino is my fav writer/director but, I agree with what others posted, he would not be a great fit for the Punisher.

The Punisher's story needs to be taken deadly serious... and treated like a serious, hard hitting, drama. I think Thomas Jane's Punisher suffered from the goofy neighbors and War Zone was destroyed by the ultra campy and over-the-top, bad joker impression that was Jigsaw. The best thing about the original Punisher movie with Dolf... was that the bad guys were believable! And scary! You actually believed them as real killers and actual threats.

Mann would be a good director... although, not to sound like a cliche fanboy, but Nolan's Dark Knight universe is the perfect tone for the Punisher. it is serious and dramatic yet still enjoyable. I find many of Mann's movies (except for Heat) are very serious but very boring.

Yes. Dolph's Punisher was the best of the 3! This movie is ridiculously underrated.

#10 Posted by Jeremy1989 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

@lsrotj said:

There was a time when Quentin Tarantino made good films... now he just makes crappy movies on purpose.

Dirty Laundry (Directed by Phil Joanou and written by Chad St. John) proved that you don't have to be Nolan to make a good Punisher film.

Sorry but...

• Ultra Violence
  • Lots of cursing
  • Great Storytelling
  • Memorable Characters
  • Awesome Quotes

This doesn't make a good Punisher film or a good action film in general.

you know I was joking about that right?

#11 Posted by Hitmanspike (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@davethepunisher said:

Yes. Dolph's Punisher was the best of the 3! This movie is ridiculously underrated.

O_o I only saw it one but I thought the whole motorcycle-in-the-sewer thing was kinda lame... And I think that Dolph is justa bad actor or at least the worst of the 3...

#12 Posted by VanderSEXXX (975 posts) - - Show Bio

if not Tarantino the Robert Rodriguez might be able to pull it off?

#13 Edited by bionder (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Adi Shankar the man who produced "Dirty Laundry" and "Dredd".

#14 Posted by Tensta (473 posts) - - Show Bio

John Woo. The Killer but Punisher instead of Chow Yun Fat

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.