Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Should marvel retcon some of the Punisher's history?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By cody1984

The Punisher has had many different writers over the years and some of them have done some really dumb things to Frank Castle.  The stupid things that have happened to Frank Castle have never officially to my knowledge been removed from continuity they just...never get mentioned again…EVER.  So this leads me to ask should some of Frank Castle's history just be removed since it has absolutely no bearing on him and the current writer Greg Rucka literally has to ignore the Punisher's past because of the things the previous two writers did to the Punisher since they weren't loved by fans and the series flopped and Marvel has had to relaunch the Punisher for the third time since Garth Ennis stopped writing the Punisher in the main marvel universe.  Where as the MAX series has been continuous since 2004 only getting renamed with its history intact while being reader friendly.  I mean do we really need to have the Punisher becoming Black as part of his continuity?  

The writer must of smoked a serious amount of crack before coming up with this idea. 
    The writer must of smoked a serious amount of crack before coming up with this idea. 
    Or Punisher as an angel?  Which no writer dares to mention as part of Frank Castle's history. 

The story which no one talks about.    
    The story which no one talks about.    

The same thing applies to a lot if not the entirety of Matt Fraction's Punisher War Journal series.  The series is not exactly...loved by Punisher fans.  It was a little hard for someone reading this in MAX  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    To read Fraction write the Punisher as donning a Captain America inspired custom to fight a guy calling himself Hatemonger who was an old Captain America enemy.  Yeah I know Captain America died and that was suppose to big thing for the marvel universe...but I have to ask why would Frank care?  Yeah, Castle does respect Captain America but he would (and has) fought Captain America before so the whole thing made no sense whatsoever. 

Fraction's run didn't just go down hill from here it went straight over a cliff, caught on fire, and exploded with this kind of stupidity.  
    Fraction's run didn't just go down hill from here it went straight over a cliff, caught on fire, and exploded with this kind of stupidity.  
     Last  but not least we have Remender turning the Punisher into a stupid looking Frankenstein knock off. 

A classic example of
     A classic example of "Jumping the Shark".
     So should some of the Punisher's history be retconned since future writers won't reference it at all and it has no real impact on the overall marvel universe? 
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

no

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

eventually the Vietnam thing will have to go considering they're already pushing credibility with it cause as it stands frank would have to atleast be in his mid fifties by now in order to have been in that war for any reasonable amount of time

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

My perspective, is that if future writers won't reference it seriously, it does not need to be retconned, essentially it is, Marvel, tends to retcon things, that some writers might actually want to reference and explore that Marvel as a "whole", have decided they don't actually wamt... like some of Morrisons run with X-Men. Retcon was needed so future writers would know, that they can't write stories under the premise that what happened in a past story applies the same way. Fans themselves sort of get to care or not care.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cody1984
    @joshmightbe said:

eventually the Vietnam thing will have to go considering they're already pushing credibility with it cause as it stands frank would have to atleast be in his mid fifties by now in order to have been in that war for any reasonable amount of time

You could just state Death brought him back to life since Frank and Death made a deal in Vietnam.   
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @joshmightbe said:

When Frank came back to life he was younger so they dont really need to retcon that
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By muhabba

There's no need to Retcon anything in the comic world. Does anyone mention when Batman used to kill bad guys? No. Does anyone mention Jarvis was a bumbling detective, not a butler? No. Does anyone mention that Reed Richards built his rocket to win against the Russians in the "Space Race" of the 60's? No. Does anyone mention Tony Stark made the Iron Man suit during the Vietnam War? No. Comic Books have a proud history of ignoring things until they die and they should just continue that without trying to change the past of their characters. In my opinion, if Marvel starts retconing all their problems then they're going to wind up with DC's continuity problems

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cody1984
    @muhabba said:

There's no need to Retcon anything in the comic world. Does anyone mention when Batman used to kill bad guys? No. Does anyone mention Jarvis was a bumbling detective, not a butler? No. Does anyone mention that Reed Richards built his rocket to win against the Russians in the "Space Race" of the 60's? No. Does anyone mention Tony Stark made the Iron Man suit during the Vietnam War? No. Comic Books have a proud history of ignoring things until they die and they should just continue that without trying to change the past of their characters. In my opinion, if Marvel starts retconing all their problems then they're going to wind up with DC's continuity problems

Ironman's past has been changed to he made his suit in Afghanistan so has Ms. Marvel with her being in the US air force as a pilot.  So his past as well as Ms. Marvel has been retconned before and I believe the fantastic four's past has been retconned as well but I could be wrong about that. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

@muhabba: DC has had more retcons than any other comic company ever

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By bionder

I think there is no need to retconned, all the Franken-Castle stuff is over and explained. It could be important in some cases that in some way some events during The Punisher history could be remembered or referenced.

Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cody1984: Oh, GOD I have "the punisher is black" issues. I couldn't believe what I was reading.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cody1984
    @GiantsizeManThing said:

@cody1984: Oh, GOD I have "the punisher is black" issues. I couldn't believe what I was reading.

I know right.  Then when he turned white again they called the issue "Fade to White"! 

No Caption Provided
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nova`Prime`

No I don't think it needs a retcon, I actually liked, some of, the Fraction stuff and the issue you are showing where he is beating that chick is because that's how her and her crime family operated, they were stronger and could do what they wanted, but Frank was stronger then them. Also the reason Frank dressed up as Cap was because Hate Monger was dressed up looking a little to like Cap for Frank's taste and no matter what he thought about Cap he respected him and didn't think his memory should be tarnished like that. The angel thing was also from a Marvel Knights title which has no barring on the regular Marvel continuity.

My last note, Frank's history in Vietnam is barely mentioned, now he's usually just called a soldier and the war he fought in wasn't mentioned, which is good because once you lock that character into a historic event the further you get away from that event the more you have to come up with way to explain him. The only reason it works for guys like Cap and Fury is because of the SSS and Infinity Serum.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cody1984
    @Nova`Prime` said:

Also the reason Frank dressed up as Cap was because Hate Monger was dressed up looking a little to like Cap for Frank's taste and no matter what he thought about Cap he respected him and didn't think his memory should be tarnished like that. 

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you about that since the whole thing made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The angel thing was also from a Marvel Knights title which has no barring on the regular Marvel continuity

All the marvel knights titles are canon actually.  

My last note, Frank's history in Vietnam is barely mentioned, now he's usually just called a soldier and the war he fought in wasn't mentioned,  

Frank being a Vietnam War veteran was mentioned over the last three series he had (over all of them actually) before the current one written by Greg Rucka.  Greg Rucka has stated that he doesn't think it matters but has stated he and marvel aren't going to change Frank's origin.  The reason why he and marvel aren't bringing up Vietnam either is because of the popularity of Born and all of Garth Ennis's work on the Punisher and the fact that Frankencastle was a flop and alienated the character's fan base causing the book to get dropped and marvel having to relaunch it a third time since Ennis left.  So Rucka can't mention the bloodstone making him younger.  

which is good because once you lock that character into a historic event the further you get away from that event the more you have to come up with way to explain him.

In this case its easy for Frank since you could say in Born he made a deal with Death itself. 

No Caption Provided

And yes this is canon in 616  
    And yes this is canon in 616  

From Civil War Files 
    From Civil War Files 

The only reason it works for guys like Cap and Fury is because of the SSS and Infinity Serum.

Well you can always give Frank the infinity serum then.  
    9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

@muhabba said:

Ironman's past has been changed to he made his suit in Afghanistan so has Ms. Marvel with her being in the US air force as a pilot.  So his past as well as Ms. Marvel has been retconned before and I believe the fantastic four's past has been retconned as well but I could be wrong about that. 
    Those characters are older than that Punisher.I believe those things have been changed to fit modern standards and not for the heck of it.Ms.Marvel was created in the 60's.The fact that they thought she was more believable as someone who worked for the Daily Bugle rather than this rough and tough ace pilot says something about the way things were at the time.The Punisher's back story isn't very complex and neither is Frank as a character.If there are continuity errors or poorly written arcs attached to him.Join the club.That goes for every Marvel character.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cody1984
    @9th Wonder said: 

Those characters are older than that Punisher.I believe those things have been changed to fit modern standards and not for the heck of it

Actually it was just for the heck of it since they could've just stated Ms Marvel is immortal or just had her and Iron man age in real time.   

If there are continuity errors or poorly written arcs attached to him.Join the club.That goes for every Marvel character.

Their is a difference between something being poorly written like Fraction's Jigsaw arc and something that is character ruining like Frankencastle.  If memory serves me right didn't Ironman once become a traitor and Marvel had to retcon the story to state otherwise due to negative fan response.  Since the writer of that story essentially killed the character marvel had to go on erase what he did.    
    9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:
    @9th Wonder said: 

Those characters are older than that Punisher.I believe those things have been changed to fit modern standards and not for the heck of it

Actually it was just for the heck of it since they could've just stated Ms Marvel is immortal or just had her and Iron man age in real time.   

Wait what? Ms.Marvel isn't immortal and why would they have Iron Man Age in real time? They'd lose a popular hero...he would be well into his 70's right now.Those retcons weren't for the heck of it. Writers felt that those things would enhance those characters story and make them more appealing.Nothing is done for no reason.

@cody1984 said:
    Their is a difference between something being poorly written like Fraction's Jigsaw arc and something that is character ruining like Frankencastle.  If memory serves me right didn't Ironman once become a traitor and Marvel had to retcon the story to state otherwise due to negative fan response.  Since the writer of that story essentially killed the character marvel had to go on erase what he did.    
    There is no point of retconning Frankcastle.If you don't believe it will be referenced later and he's back to normal,what does it matter? How i something that won't be a factor in the characters life years down the road effect him? You're afraid that someone who didn't read Punisher before will find out he was a Frankenstein because he got mutilated by Daken? It doesn't matter.I feel like Moonstone taking Ms.Marvel's place is the arc that completely brought down her sales causing her book to get cancelled.That doesn't mean I want it removed from either Moonstone or Ms.Marvel's extended history.It doesn't matter.Years from now it won't have any effect on the character at all.Marvel isn't DC, they don't retcon things for the sake of doing it.If it will change the character for the better or it makes more sense to do it a different way, that's when retcons come in.I don't know if Iron Man was ever a traitor unless you mean Civil War (which wasn't retconned) but you can understand why they wouldn't want one of their most popular superheroes being a traitor.THAT would ruin the character.Frankcastle doesn't ruin the Punisher it was just a bad idea.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cody1984

@9th Wonder said:

@cody1984 said:
    @9th Wonder said:

Wait what? Ms.Marvel isn't immortal and why would they have Iron Man Age in real time? They'd lose a popular hero...he would be well into his 70's right now.

I'm saying they could've just stated her powers made her immortal. As far as aging in real time goes I believe that was originally the idea at marvel that got changed later.

Nothing is done for no reason.

The Punisher becoming black was done for no reason.

There is no point of retconning Frankcastle.If you don't believe it will be referenced later and he's back to normal,what does it matter?

The fact that it alienated the fan base and makes the characters past unusable since they can't reference events that lead up to the Punisher becoming a frankenstein knock off. So the current writer can't use the Hood as an enemy of Franks because you have to talk about Frankencastle eventually. In other words this event limits writers in what they can do with the Punisher now.

You're afraid that someone who didn't read Punisher before will find out he was a Frankenstein because he got mutilated by Daken?

No I'm afraid marvel in another ten years will come up with another dumbass idea for the Punisher.

It doesn't matter.I feel like Moonstone taking Ms.Marvel's place is the arc that completely brought down her sales causing her book to get cancelled.That doesn't mean I want it removed from either Moonstone or Ms.Marvel's extended history.

I'm sorry but her book was just a mess overall. It wasn't distinctive and seperate from the avengers and just bounced around with no consistency and characters and their stories just got left in limbo through out the book.

I don't know if Iron Man was ever a traitor unless you mean Civil War (which wasn't retconned)

Nope. I believe it was the ninties when he sold out the United States and they retconned his story to it was an evil alternate reality version that did it...or some garbage.

but you can understand why they wouldn't want one of their most popular superheroes being a traitor.

Apparently marvel didn't get it since they let that story get published,

Frankcastle doesn't ruin the Punisher it was just a bad idea.

Fraction and Remender almost ruined the character completely like the Punisher was ruined in the 90's by just having wackiness happen to try and take the Punisher in a completely different direction. In the 90's Frank actually joined the mob and became head of it, killed nick fury, and battled shield and the X-Men.

No Caption Provided

After the series flopped marvel retconned it out of existense...unfortunately that series led to angel punisher which they didn't retcon out of existence.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Gambit1024

Eventually they'd have to change the war (probably to the Iraq War), but honestly, I'd be perfectly ok if they kept Vietnam. Punisher's one of the few characters that wouldn't bother me if they died doing what they do.

9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

I'm saying they could've just stated her powers made her immortal. As far as aging in real time goes I believe that was originally the idea at marvel that got changed later.

They could have made her immortal but they didn't.Most Marvel characters don't age in real time so I don't get what the issue is.Most popular superheroes should be over 40 but they aren't.In comics they are either teens or at the most pushing 40. 

@cody1984 said: 
    Nothing is done for no reason.

The Punisher becoming black was done for no reason.

You took that statement far too literally.Anytime Marvel chooses to retcon something there is a reason behind it.I don't know why the Punisher was black,but obviously he's not anymore. 

@cody1984 said: 

The fact that it alienated the fan base and makes the characters past unusable since they can't reference events that lead up to the Punisher becoming a frankenstein knock off. So the current writer can't use the Hood as an enemy of Franks because you have to talk about Frankencastle eventually. In other words this event limits writers in what they can do with the Punisher now.

This is past tense though.The Punisher is already back to normal so I'm still not understanding why this matters.Hercules being depowered alienated the fanbase and the book was cancelled.So i'm sure in the future Marvel will look at that and give him his powers back.Retconning the arc where he was powerless is pointless because it's just a part of history that didn't last and will not effect the character in the future.The event doesn't limit what writers can do.They can have the Hood fight Frank without bringing up their past encounter,they do it with characters all the time.You know how many characters have had repeated confrontations in completely unrelated circumstances?  And so what if it's referenced? That's not going to actually effect the character.

@cody1984

said:

No I'm afraid marvel in another ten years will come up with another dumbass idea for the Punisher.

That doesn't make any sense.Marvel isn't going to always have great ideas that resonate with their readers.Neither is any publisher.Along the way they will always make mistakes so I don't see how retconning one mistake will keep them from making more.Marvel made a huge mistake with Spider-Man doing that clone saga and then they ended up doing One More Day which most fans hated so obviously there isn't a point where Marvel is ever spot on with the decisions they've made with their characters.They can only do their best and hope that their fans enjoy what they've done. Pretending something didn't happen doesn't mean it didn't.That's basically what a retcon is.You can write it out of Punisher's history but it still happened. 

@cody1984
    said: 

Apparently marvel didn't get it since they let that story get published,

Apparently they did since they retconned it. 

@cody1984

said:

I'm sorry but her book was just a mess overall. It wasn't distinctive and seperate from the avengers and just bounced around with no consistency and characters and their stories just got left in limbo through out the book.

That's your personal opinion.The book was doing well before Dark Reign though.Which was my point. I don't know how you're getting there's not consistency though when half the stories in the book basically carried over from her first volume.The only parts that weren't carried over from her past where the tie-ins to Marvel events which are also the only parts that had anything to do with her being an Avenger.She was leading her own team before Secret Invasion.Her books isn't any less consistent than anyone elses book.

@cody1984

said:

Fraction and Remender almost ruined the character completely like the Punisher was ruined in the 90's by just having wackiness happen to try and take the Punisher in a completely different direction. In the 90's Frank actually joined the mob and became head of it, killed nick fury, and battled shield and the X-Men.

After the series flopped marvel retconned it out of existense...unfortunately that series led to angel punisher which they didn't retcon out of existence.

You can't just go around overwriting everything just because it sucked.Again, Marvel will has made mistakes and they will continue to do so but just because some fans didn't like it doesn't mean they should pretend it didn't happen.Especially when the character has moved on to something new.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @SC said:
    My perspective, is that if future writers won't reference it seriously, it does not need to be retconned, essentially it is, Marvel, tends to retcon things, that some writers might actually want to reference and explore that Marvel as a "whole", have decided they don't actually wamt... like some of Morrisons run with X-Men. Retcon was needed so future writers would know, that they can't write stories under the premise that what happened in a past story applies the same way. Fans themselves sort of get to care or not care.
    This is a good perspective, and I like it a bit. Essentially whereas the next writer sweeps it under the rug and out of site and writes away from the incident.
    I can think of a few examples of this and it seems semi-successful.

In the case if there was a retcon, which I believe is proposed here is that Frank have his history edited so that he's just a human who uses weapons to fight 
    and never steers from his identity nor beliefs, and any kind of stuff that doesn't fit the classic character, something I think Batman can tell us stories about, 
    is removed from history, then Frank would need to be taken out of continuity first, then the classic as of yet untainted version of him pulled from his own past
    and placed in his present. This would be the only solid way to pull it off without altering the continuity of the rest of the Marvel Universe. Or, skip the retcon and write 
    The Punisher in a Punisher exclusive story like say a MAX title where his continuity doesn't exist, in this way, then no one gets short changed and everyone gets the
    story they like....oh, that's being done already? nvmd.
    Of course, one could say without change, there is no storytelling nor character development to begin with, despite what a long shot that change was.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cody1984

@9th Wonder said:

You took that statement far too literally.Anytime Marvel chooses to retcon something there is a reason behind it.I don't know why the Punisher was black,but obviously he's not anymore.

Their were two reasons why he was turned black one was to have a reason to bring Luke Cage back into the marvel universe...that and the writer trying to comment on what the police did to Rodney King by having black Punisher pulled over by racist cops in Chicago who beat him down like Rodney King was (I could not make that up even if I tried) only to be saved by Luke Cage.

This is past tense though.The Punisher is already back to normal so I'm still not understanding why this matters.Hercules being depowered alienated the fanbase and the book was cancelled.

A better example of the Punisher's fanbase getting alienated would be Batman getting turned into an actual giant bat and having to keep taking pills to prevent him from killing innocent people while teaming up with vampires to fight the catholic church.

@cody1984@cody1984 said:
    Apparently they did since they retconned it.

Which they should do with some of the Punisher's past as well.

I don't know how you're getting there's not consistency though when half the stories in the book basically carried over from her first volume.The only parts that weren't carried over from her past where the tie-ins to Marvel events which are also the only parts that had anything to do with her being an Avenger.She was leading her own team before Secret Invasion.Her books isn't any less consistent than anyone elses book.

She went from fighting aliens to being a secret agent in the most jarring way possible. When I said the book lacks consistency it’s because it bounced all over the place between what she dealt with (aliens, AIM, renegade superheroes, alternate versions of herself, etc.). The events of Civil War, Secret Invasion, and Dark Reign (these events hurt a lot of titles) as well as referencing material from the avengers’ series as well as their characters. The title probably would've lasted if it was like the current X-Force title where it’s set in its own corner of the world without having a bunch of crossover events. X-Force and Punisher's MAX series did and still do well because they are set in their own little worlds (The MAX series is literally in another world) where stories flow together much better and are more reader friendly since readers don't have to pick up multiple titles to know what is going on. Another thing IMO that hurt Ms. Marvel's book was that what separated her from others was never really defined. Silver surfer deals with cosmic threats, The Punisher fights crime, the X-men deal with problems mutants face, etc. These characters can and have dealt with other threats before. Silver Surfer stopping Cable, the Punisher helping Ghost Rider defeat blackheart, and the X-Men dealing with non mutant issues. Ms. Marvel never had a particular role to fill here which I believed hurt her title in the long run since if you picked up her book monthly you didn't know what to generally expect. Granted I'm person who doesn't view niche as a bad word like others do. I'm also not trying to say Ms. Marvel shouldn't occasionally deal with aliens and mad wizards it’s just that what she dealt with should've been more consistent.

You can't just go around overwriting everything just because it sucked..

I'm not advocating that. A lot of Punisher stories as well as other character's stories have sucked. I'm talking about getting rid of the complete and utter "wtf were thinking?" moments of the Punisher's past that almost ruined the character forever.

Again, Marvel will has made mistakes and they will continue to do so but just because some fans didn't like it doesn't mean they should pretend it didn't happen.

Actually Rucka and marvel literally have to since if they don't act like it never happened by not mentioning those events the current Punisher series in 616 will end up getting dropped again due to lack of sales.

Especially when the character has moved on to something new

Which marvel has the current writer doing because trying to avoid the mistakes Marvel and the previous two writers committed. Sort of what Ennis had to do as well when he wrote Welcome Back Frank ignoring past events.

Cobracomander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Cobracomander

I may be in the minority on this but I hate anything Garth Ennis wrote that involves the punisher. He made him this nilistic killing machine, while in the essential punisher  

he showed emotion, he is a man whose family was killed and he feels like his duty now is to wage war on criminals, while not protecting inocent people from them like in  

punisher circle of blood he was in a fire fight and a girl was shot he had an emotional look on his face so you could tell he has some humanity in him hell he used mercy  

bullets on underlings and killed the bosses. Now in punisher max it just feels like garth ennis puts him in afganistan to try and hide the blood and gore and sex and imature  

stuff so he can hide all that stuff and make it look mature. And him saying that frank wouldnt hunt down osama bin ladin a man who ordered the death of thousands of  

inocent people not just in america with the excuse of him saying america brought it on them selfves, it is just a big out of charchter moment.
    9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

Their were two reasons why he was turned black one was to have a reason to bring Luke Cage back into the marvel universe...that and the writer trying to comment on what the police did to Rodney King by having black Punisher pulled over by racist cops in Chicago who beat him down like Rodney King was (I could not make that up even if I tried) only to be saved by Luke Cage.

You said that there was no reason and now you're saying there's two.I don't get it. 

@cody1984 said:

A better example of the Punisher's fanbase getting alienated would be Batman getting turned into an actual giant bat and having to keep taking pills to prevent him from killing innocent people while teaming up with vampires to fight the catholic church.

How is this a better example.It was a stupid idea that is now obsolete.How are you alienated by something that the character has long moved on from? Batman is still immensely popular. 

@cody1984 said: 
    Which they should do with some of the Punisher's past as well.
    There isn't a good reason to do that.They could always just ignore it and it wouldn't effect the Punisher. 

@cody1984 said:

She went from fighting aliens to being a secret agent in the most jarring way possible. When I said the book lacks consistency it’s because it bounced all over the place between what she dealt with (aliens, AIM, renegade superheroes, alternate versions of herself, etc.). The events of Civil War, Secret Invasion, and Dark Reign (these events hurt a lot of titles) as well as referencing material from the avengers’ series as well as their characters. The title probably would've lasted if it was like the current X-Force title where it’s set in its own corner of the world without having a bunch of crossover events. X-Force and Punisher's MAX series did and still do well because they are set in their own little worlds (The MAX series is literally in another world) where stories flow together much better and are more reader friendly since readers don't have to pick up multiple titles to know what is going on. Another thing IMO that hurt Ms. Marvel's book was that what separated her from others was never really defined. Silver surfer deals with cosmic threats, The Punisher fights crime, the X-men deal with problems mutants face, etc. These characters can and have dealt with other threats before. Silver Surfer stopping Cable, the Punisher helping Ghost Rider defeat blackheart, and the X-Men dealing with non mutant issues. Ms. Marvel never had a particular role to fill here which I believed hurt her title in the long run since if you picked up her book monthly you didn't know what to generally expect. Granted I'm person who doesn't view niche as a bad word like others do. I'm also not trying to say Ms. Marvel shouldn't occasionally deal with aliens and mad wizards it’s just that what she dealt with should've been more consistent.

Ms.Marvel doesn't have much of a rouge gallery left after her first series but the Brood (aliens) is an enemy that carried over from Volume 1.The arc involving Traveler carried over from House of M.Everything she did either tied into a larger event or carried over from her past.So I don't really get how you're saying it lacks consistency.The type things she dealt with was diverse because of the circumstance of what was happening in the Marvel Universe.As far as what you're saying about Ms.Marvel never being defined as far as what separated her from others doesn't make any sense.You can say that about mot street levelers.The Punisher fights crime but the only thing that makes him different from Moon Knight or Daredevil is his lack of powers,his different skill set,and his personality.Which is the same only thing that separates Ms.Marvel and other superhuman heroes.They all fight the same characters. How many times has the Punisher fought Spider-Man's villains,or Daredevil's,or Captain America's? It's happened alot throughout his history.

@cody1984 said: 

I'm not advocating that. A lot of Punisher stories as well as other character's stories have sucked. I'm talking about getting rid of the complete and utter "wtf were thinking?" moments of the Punisher's past that almost ruined the character forever.

It didn't ruin the character though.That's the point i'm making.It wasn't a good idea in your opinion and the opinion of others but retconning it serves no purpose if they've already moved on. 

@cody1984 said: 

Actually Rucka and marvel literally have to since if they don't act like it never happened by not mentioning those events the current Punisher series in 616 will end up getting dropped again due to lack of sales.

I highly doubt that people will drop a book because of the mention of an arc that sucked.Unless they actually build another arc around it (which isn't the same as simply mentioning it) then I don't see why sales would drop. 

@cody1984 said: 

Which marvel has the current writer doing because trying to avoid the mistakes Marvel and the previous two writers committed. Sort of what Ennis had to do as well when he wrote Welcome Back Frank ignoring past events.

Ennis..you mean the guy who tried to make the Punisher look better by poorly writing Wolverine? 
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cody1984

@9th Wonder said:

You said that there was no reason and now you're saying there's two.I don't get it.

Their was no reason for it. The Punisher could've just as easily have gotten caught and tortured by gangsters with Luke Cage saving him. The writer of the book wanted to state how wrong it was for Rodney King to get beaten up by the police in the most stupid way possible.

How is this a better example.It was a stupid idea that is now obsolete.How are you alienated by something that the character has long moved on from? Batman is still immensely popular.

It gives people unfamiliar with the Punisher a better idea of how wrong it was. Also didn't you say marvel did the right thing retconning Ironman not being a traitor?

There isn't a good reason to do that.They could always just ignore it and it wouldn't effect the Punisher.

It gets to the point where a characters history becomes convoluted to the point where it doesn't make sense at all. Take Frank not being in his sixties and being a Vietnam War Veteran. Him dying and coming back from the grave explains this but the events that brought him back from the grave literally can't be talked about since they pissed off the majority of Punisher fans and the ideas flopped.

Ms.Marvel doesn't have much of a rouge gallery left after her first series but the Brood (aliens) is an enemy that carried over from Volume 1.

Which was many years ago. Which makes her book come off as pretty rough to read for someone who is somewhat unfamiliar with the character and her history. The current X-Force and Punisher MAX series you didn't need to read past titles to get into them and they have done surprisingly well.

So I don't really get how you're saying it lacks consistency.

I really don't see how you don't understand my point about it lacking consistency.

The type things she dealt with was diverse because of the circumstance of what was happening in the Marvel Universe.

Which was part of the problem and is the reason why I made the comparison between her series and X-Force and Punisher MAX.

As far as what you're saying about Ms.Marvel never being defined as far as what separated her from others doesn't make any sense.

She was created as a female version of Captain Marvel. Essentially Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, and Spider Woman are knock offs of male characters which does hurt them from carrying their own title to this day. She really doesn't have anything really character defining to help her. The whole being raped and impregnated by her son also really screwed up her continuity.

You can say that about mot street levelers.The Punisher fights crime but the only thing that makes him different from Moon Knight or Daredevil is his lack of powers,his different skill set,and his personality.

The Punisher has also been doing it for decades, uses lethal force, and has history of becoming the Punisher besides his family getting killed. The events that happened to him in Vietnam, The Punisher deciding not to become a priest, and what he witnessed a mobsters kid to his friends during his childhood. Anyway the point I was making is when you pick up a Punisher comic you tend to know what to expect with Ms. Marvel you didn't and I think that hurt the character's series not helped it.

Which is the same only thing that separates Ms.Marvel and other superhuman heroes.They all fight the same characters.

Which tends to be a pretty bad thing about comics because villains start using uniqueness and new or rising characters just get the same old villains thrown at them instead of creating new ones for them to deal with.

It didn't ruin the character though.That's the point i'm making.It wasn't a good idea in your opinion and the opinion of others but retconning it serves no purpose if they've already moved on.

Again, it did since the book got dropped again and the last several years of Punisher stories were essentially for nothing since none of it can be referenced without risking alienating the character's fan base.

I highly doubt that people will drop a book because of the mention of an arc that sucked.Unless they actually build another arc around it (which isn't the same as simply mentioning it) then I don't see why sales would drop.

Well Marvel and greg Rucka aren't going to take that chance and have stated as much in interviews.

@cody1984 said:

Ennis..you mean the guy who tried to make the Punisher look better by poorly writing Wolverine?

I mean Ennis as the guy who brought Punisher back from obscurity and gave Frank his balls back. If it wasn't for him their wouldn't even been a Punisher comic released over the last 11 years and we wouldn't have two comics released monthly as there is now. Their is a reason why Garth Ennis deservedly is considered the Real Daddy of the Punisher and even Rucka has stated his run was definitive. As far as wolverine goes Ennis hates superhero comics that is well known and Marvel made him have to include superheroes in his Punisher marvel knights series is why he wrote what he did. If you think that's bad read the Boys.

9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

Their was no reason for it. The Punisher could've just as easily have gotten caught and tortured by gangsters with Luke Cage saving him. The writer of the book wanted to state how wrong it was for Rodney King to get beaten up by the police in the most stupid way possible.

There wasn't a good reason for it but there was a reason. 

@cody1984 said: 

It gives people unfamiliar with the Punisher a better idea of how wrong it was. Also didn't you say marvel did the right thing retconning Ironman not being a traitor?

It's nitpicking is what it is.Every superhero has crappy arcs that their fans would like to forget in their pasts.Just because you retcon Frankcastle doesn't mean that people won't ever get a hold of it or find out that it happened.We can try and forget things or pretend they didn't happen but at the end of the day they still happened. 

@cody1984 said: 

It gets to the point where a characters history becomes convoluted to the point where it doesn't make sense at all. Take Frank not being in his sixties and being a Vietnam War Veteran. Him dying and coming back from the grave explains this but the events that brought him back from the grave literally can't be talked about since they pissed off the majority of Punisher fans and the ideas flopped.

Where are you getting this idea that mentioning an arc that Punisher fans didn't like in a comic will some how cause the book to fail? You think Frank is the only character with a nonsensical age explanation? That arc may have pissed people off but the fact he's not the age he's supposed to be because something that happened in his history isn't at all important to his future. 

@cody1984 said:

Ms.Marvel doesn't have much of a rouge gallery left after her first series but the Brood (aliens) is an enemy that carried over from Volume 1.

Which was many years ago. Which makes her book come off as pretty rough to read for someone who is somewhat unfamiliar with the character and her history. The current X-Force and Punisher MAX series you didn't need to read past titles to get into them and they have done surprisingly well.

So I don't really get how you're saying it lacks consistency.

I really don't see how you don't understand my point about it lacking consistency.

The type things she dealt with was diverse because of the circumstance of what was happening in the Marvel Universe.

Which was part of the problem and is the reason why I made the comparison between her series and X-Force and Punisher MAX.

As far as what you're saying about Ms.Marvel never being defined as far as what separated her from others doesn't make any sense.

She was created as a female version of Captain Marvel. Essentially Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, and Spider Woman are knock offs of male characters which does hurt them from carrying their own title to this day. She really doesn't have anything really character defining to help her. The whole being raped and impregnated by her son also really screwed up her continuity.

None of this is really relevant to the original point that I was making.Her book fell off during Dark Reign because of what had been done to the character.Whether her book lacked consistency or whatever else you're saying is your personal thoughts on the series.Tie-ins to events and being an active member of the Mighty Avengers worked well in her favor.What you're saying about Ms.Marvel,She-Hulk,and Spider-Woman being "knock-offs" isn't even true.It actually does the exact opposite for them.Why do you think Marvel changed Arana into Spider-Girl? Because they can use Spider-Man to sell Arana. Marvel ties their female characters to popular male characters because female characters don't sell well.Originality & Separation has nothing to do with it. 

@cody1984 said:

Again, it did since the book got dropped again and the last several years of Punisher stories were essentially for nothing since none of it can be referenced without risking alienating the character's fan base.

If Punisher fans are that sensitive maybe he shouldn't have a book. 

@cody1984 said:

@cody1984 said:

I mean Ennis as the guy who brought Punisher back from obscurity and gave Frank his balls back. If it wasn't for him their wouldn't even been a Punisher comic released over the last 11 years and we wouldn't have two comics released monthly as there is now. Their is a reason why Garth Ennis deservedly is considered the Real Daddy of the Punisher and even Rucka has stated his run was definitive. As far as wolverine goes Ennis hates superhero comics that is well known and Marvel made him have to include superheroes in his Punisher marvel knights series is why he wrote what he did. If you think that's bad read the Boys.

I know who Garth Ennis is.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cody1984

@9th Wonder said:

There wasn't a good reason for it but there was a reason.

I believe this falls under just doing it for the heck of it.

It's nitpicking is what it is.Every superhero has crappy arcs that their fans would like to forget in their pasts.Just because you retcon Frankcastle doesn't mean that people won't ever get a hold of it or find out that it happened.We can try and forget things or pretend they didn't happen but at the end of the day they still happened.

If they get a hold of it and read it and find out its not in continuity I'd imagine they breath a sigh of relief if they like the Punisher character.

Where are you getting this idea that mentioning an arc that Punisher fans didn't like in a comic will some how cause the book to fail? You think Frank is the only character with a nonsensical age explanation?

His age has been explained while keeping him tied to his origins unlike most other characters who have to have it constantly change over the years. The problem is you can't mention these previous story arcs which explain why since they were just god awful and remembered negatively.

That arc may have pissed people off but the fact he's not the age he's supposed to be because something that happened in his history isn't at all important to his future.

If you want to keep his history of being in Vietnam veteran and still being in his thirties than yeah you have to explain it.

None of this is really relevant to the original point that I was making.Her book fell off during Dark Reign because of what had been done to the character.

Which goes back to inconsistency and being tied into way to many events.

Whether her book lacked consistency or whatever else you're saying is your personal thoughts on the series.

That goes for you as well saying her book was consistent.

Tie-ins to events and being an active member of the Mighty Avengers worked well in her favor.

Didn't you just get done stating that her book ended up getting dropped because of Dark Reign?

What you're saying about Ms.Marvel,She-Hulk,and Spider-Woman being "knock-offs" isn't even true.

How do you come up with that? She Hulk is a female version of the Hulk, Ms. Marvel a female version of Captain Marvel, Spiderwoman a female version of Spiderman. Granted they have differences between their male counter parts but essentially they are knock offs.

It actually does the exact opposite for them.Why do you think Marvel changed Arana into Spider-Girl? Because they can use Spider-Man to sell Arana.

That's what I mean by being knock offs. Using the success of other books to try and sell more by making female versions of the characters.

Marvel ties their female characters to popular male characters because female characters don't sell well.

Essentially making them knock offs.

If Punisher fans are that sensitive maybe he shouldn't have a book.

A lot of Punisher fans did state that they would rather just have the 616 book dropped forever and just have the MAX series than have stupid things like Frankencastle happen to Frank. The reason why is they are tired of having their favorite character get ****ed over by writers and marvel and being expected to be thankful for this asking "please sir, can I have some more?". Remender doesn't like criticism and was a bit of an ass to the people who didn't like him screwing up the Punisher.

I know who Garth Ennis is.

Then don't bother making such a comment trying to downgrade the greatest Punisher writer then.

9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

I believe this falls under just doing it for the heck of it.

Not when you can actually state a reasoning behind it. 

@cody1984 said:

If they get a hold of it and read it and find out its not in continuity I'd imagine they breath a sigh of relief if they like the Punisher character.

Again,why does it matter if it's something that the writers have undone already? The Punisher isn't Frankencastle.Why would it matter if he was if he isn't now and never will be again? That's clearly nitpicking.If you like the Punisher then why would you be dwelling on a garbage arc? As a Spider-Man fan..I hated One More Day it changed alot for Spider-Man as a character but now that it happened in like what '06-07? Why would I still care about it? 

@cody1984 said:

His age has been explained while keeping him tied to his origins unlike most other characters who have to have it constantly change over the years. The problem is you can't mention these previous story arcs which explain why since they were just god awful and remembered negatively.

I'll ask this again..why does it matter if those arcs weren't any good.Why can you not simply mention something without people whining about it? That just seems very ridiculous to me. 

@cody1984 said:

If you want to keep his history of being in Vietnam veteran and still being in his thirties than yeah you have to explain it.

Which they have. 

@cody1984 said:

Which goes back to inconsistency and being tied into way to many events.

That makes no sense.Most popular heroes have had tie-ins to every major event.The event covers the biggest occurrence in the Marvel Universe at that time.Therefore having the character have a tie-in where there role is important in that arc helps increase sales.There's no such thing as being tied to way too many events. 

@cody1984 said:

That goes for you as well saying her book was consistent.

What you're saying about consistency is actually just false but there is no point in arguing about it because you obviously for some reason think what you're saying is correct and since it actually had nothing to do with my point I should have ignored in the first place. 

@cody1984 said:

Didn't you just get done stating that her book ended up getting dropped because of Dark Reign?

Ms.Marvel as in Carol Danvers didn't have a role in Dark Reign until War of the Marvels.She couldn't use her powers for several issues and then she "died" and Moonstone took her spot.When I said events I meant House of M,Civil War,Initiative,& Secret Invasion.Obviously all the ones that came before the one I previously told you killed her book.When she was a Mighty Avenger they were the most important Avengers team in every event.Dark Reign was the event that took that away. 

@cody1984 said:

How do you come up with that? She Hulk is a female version of the Hulk, Ms. Marvel a female version of Captain Marvel, Spiderwoman a female version of Spiderman. Granted they have differences between their male counter parts but essentially they are knock offs.

You completely misunderstood.I'm not disagreeing they are knock-offs.(I wouldn't chose to call them that but we're using your words).I'm not disagreeing with that.What I disagreed with is you saying that being a knock-off hurts them as characters because they have nothing that sets them apart from the hero they are created from when in actuality it does the exact opposite.It allows them to gain interest off the popularity of a character that is already popular. Both Marvel and DC do this.They've never put out a comic for a character that isn't "knock-off" and it was successful.Ms.Marvel & She-Hulk are the only female characters with more than one volume of comics that lasted over 20 issues. 

@cody1984 said:

That's what I mean by being knock offs. Using the success of other books to try and sell more by making female versions of the characters.

Never disagreed with this. 

@cody1984 said:

A lot of Punisher fans did state that they would rather just have the 616 book dropped forever and just have the MAX series than have stupid things like Frankencastle happen to Frank. The reason why is they are tired of having their favorite character get ****ed over by writers and marvel and being expected to be thankful for this asking "please sir, can I have some more?". Remender doesn't like criticism and was a bit of an ass to the people who didn't like him screwing up the Punisher.

I understand what you're saying.Nobody likes for their favorite character to have a bunch of horrible arcs written about them.I believe the issue is they've run out of ideas.Which is why you get an arc like Frankencastle.Marvel is doing all they can to try and have him remain relevant. 

@cody1984 said:

Then don't bother making such a comment trying to downgrade the greatest Punisher writer then.

He can be the greatest Punisher writer in your eyes or anyone else's eyes but to Wolverine fans he's that guy who perpetuates the stereotype that Wolverine rarely uses his skills and makes a mockery of his healing factor.
    Avatar image for captain_danvers
    Captain Danvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Captain Danvers
    @cody1984 said:

What makes you think that Ms.Marvel would have done better if it was anything like X-Force. You do realize they are essentially the X-men right? The X-men are very popular aren't they? What makes you think it's the writing on X-Force and not the characters that makes it popular? The consistency thing has been addressed but it's just not true.  

Also... I agree with the statement below.

@Bionder said: 

I think there is no need to retconned, all the Franken-Castle stuff is over and explained. It could be important in some cases that in some way some events during The Punisher history could be remembered or referenced

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By iLLituracy
    @SC said:
    This is how most writers operate now. If they don't reference it then it's not canon. 

The only things that stick or that are integral are the surrounding stories and the character defining stories. Everything else is usually discarded and while a lot of people don't like that, that's what has to be done. Writers can't consider every Punisher or Spider-Man story ever written at every waking moment.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cody1984

@9th Wonder said:

Not when you can actually state a reasoning behind it.

It wasn't a reason it was "screw it let's do something crazy!!!"

Again,why does it matter if it's something that the writers have undone already? The Punisher isn't Frankencastle.Why would it matter if he was if he isn't now and never will be again?

Because it was disgrace to the character the same way Ironman was disgraced when he became a traitor to the United States.

That's clearly nitpicking.If you like the Punisher then why would you be dwelling on a garbage arc?

It wasn't just bad it was ruining the character for ***** and giggles.

I'll ask this again..why does it matter if those arcs weren't any good.Why can you not simply mention something without people whining about it?

Because they were both a giant **** you to the fan base perhaps? Maybe because the series had to get dropped and relaunched with new writers to fix the character so the Punisher wouldn't fade into obscurity? You know little things like that.

Which they have.

Not when they can't talk about it and it becomes a kind of sorta of situation.

That makes no sense.Most popular heroes have had tie-ins to every major event.The event covers the biggest occurrence in the Marvel Universe at that time.

You just stated in your previous post that Dark Reign killed the Ms. Marvel series with moonstone taking over as Ms Marvel. So what your saying here makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Therefore having the character have a tie-in where there role is important in that arc helps increase sales.There's no such thing as being tied to way too many events.

Fraction's Punisher War Journal series shows otherwise.

What you're saying about consistency is actually just false but there is no point in arguing about it because you obviously for some reason think what you're saying is correct and since it actually had nothing to do with my point I should have ignored in the first place.

Dude if you can't prove what I stated as false than don't claim it was. Your entitled to your own opinion but don't try and say my opinion of that title is false without giving me a real example of why it actually was. I'll agree to disagree with you but don't try to "correct me" because you feel differently.

Ms.Marvel as in Carol Danvers didn't have a role in Dark Reign until War of the Marvels.She couldn't use her powers for several issues and then she "died" and Moonstone took her spot.

Which you claimed killed her series with Moonstone taking over and wouldn't have happened unless Dark Reign happened.

When I said events I meant House of M,Civil War,Initiative,& Secret Invasion.

You said "big events" you didn't state only specific events.

Obviously all the ones that came before the one I previously told you killed her book.

Which goes back my point about to many tie ins with Dark Reign according to you killing her series.

When she was a Mighty Avenger they were the most important Avengers team in every event.Dark Reign was the event that took that away.

Again going back to my point about big events hurting her book.

You completely misunderstood.I'm not disagreeing they are knock-offs.

You stated they were knock offs in your previous posts.

What I disagreed with is you saying that being a knock-off hurts them as characters because they have nothing that sets them apart from the hero they are created from when in actuality it does the exact opposite.

It hurts the characters gaining their own identity since people will always think of a character like Spiderwoman as a knock off of Spiderman not allowing Jessica Drew to completely come into her own.

It allows them to gain interest off the popularity of a character that is already popular. Both Marvel and DC do this.

How many of them are actually able to hold a regular monthly title year in year out?

They've never put out a comic for a character that isn't "knock-off" and it was successful.Ms.Marvel & She-Hulk are the only female characters with more than one volume of comics that lasted over 20 issues.

How many comics does Wonder Woman have exactly?

I understand what you're saying.Nobody likes for their favorite character to have a bunch of horrible arcs written about them.I believe the issue is they've run out of ideas.Which is why you get an arc like Frankencastle.Marvel is doing all they can to try and have him remain relevant.

I think you miss my point here. It's not one or two lousy stories...it's character derailment.

He can be the greatest Punisher writer in your eyes or anyone else's eyes but to Wolverine fans he's that guy who perpetuates the stereotype that Wolverine rarely uses his skills and makes a mockery of his healing factor.

Wolverine has been mocked for worse by others writing him then Ennis. Wolverine's revenge fight against the Punisher led to the whole you ran me over with a steam roller so I'll call you gay moment. Seriously do a google search of "wolverine's most embarrassing moments" and people list his revenge fight against the Punisher as far worse offense.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bionder

Both of you got good arguments. I am a Punisher fan for more or less 15 years. I have seen Frank's face got messed up permanently by the jigsaw and healed by the Rev, his skin became black, his memories got messed up by the Spook when he was arrested by the shield and killed Nick Fury, manipulated by a a machine created by Hate monger that made him kill an innocent thanks to Fraction's genious and recently cut to pieces by Daken and revived as Franken-Castle. Later he healed his wounds with the Bloodstone and rejuvenated.

I didn't like seen my favorite character got messed up in this recent events as Franken-Castle but i like it him to be rejuvenated.

How many times he's got in dangerous situations because he didnt have reflexes because of his age? In a way i think it was good to have him back in his 30's.

For how much we struggle in 616 this things can happen, in a world flooding of super-heroes and mistic powers but we don't have to like it. But accepting it, there's nothing we can do.

We can always have the MAX world, it has good and not so good arc's but till today they didn't messed up the character in my opinion, for the contrary i think it helped to put Frank's in a good way in the 616 due his sales.

The problem of many writters is that they understimate the potential of the Punisher and don't know the character at all, that was the problem with many of the writters in these years and recently we have the examples of Fraction and Remender.

The Punisher over this years has got many bad writters but i think every comic character has suffered from that. In my opinion The Punisher is not a character of "first line" in the Marvel world and they didn't put too much effort finding good writters.

I like it the Punisher in the late 80's and early 90's with Steven Grant, Mike Baron, Carl Potts and Chuck Dixon. It was a different Punisher, in that time he got some "feelings" and not a killing machine we see today which is good also thanks to Garth Ennis.

Now with Greg Rucka, from what i have read i think things will be better from now on. We deserve that. He don't need to explain a thing about Franken-Castle but can explain about him getting young for example or don't have to explain a thing about anything.

Frank's will respond with bullets for sure.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cody1984

@Captain Danvers said:

@cody1984 said:

What makes you think that Ms.Marvel would have done better if it was anything like X-Force. You do realize they are essentially the X-men right? The X-men are very popular aren't they? What makes you think it's the writing on X-Force and not the characters that makes it popular? The consistency thing has been addressed but it's just not true.

X-Force as it is now is the Punisher style X-men. Anyway the point was and still is that the series was not tied majorly into others allowing at least initially (I read the series through marvel digital comics) more freedom for the writers to have a well balanced story arcs that flowed together much more nicely. The same goes for the Punisher's MAX series as well. I'm not talking about the content differences between the books I'm talking about the stories building off each other and being easier to follow than that of Ms. Marvel's series. If you want another example I would say that Mystique's miniseries (granted it was a miniseries) flowed much better then Ms. Marvel's series as well the same goes from what I've read of Alias as well. These felt more like graphic novels (especially punisher max) than a bunch of single issue comics which the Ms. Marvel series was written as. What I mean by that is Ms. Marvel's series felt like it could get cancelled at anytime so they jammed as much as they could into each issue thinking that the book could get dropped at any moment. Granted the book had these big events which majorly interrupted trying to write long detailed story arcs that flowed together nicely. For the record I actually do like the Ms. Marvel character but I couldn't stand her series (yes I read all of it) because it just felt poorly written.

9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

It wasn't a reason it was "screw it let's do something crazy!!!"

You're just saying anything now. 

@cody1984 said:

Because it was disgrace to the character the same way Ironman was disgraced when he became a traitor to the United States.

These two situations actually have nothing to do with each other. You can't compare them. They aren't just two bad arcs one instance would have harmed the character in the future.The other one is completely irrelevant to the characters future. 

@cody1984 said:

It wasn't just bad it was ruining the character for ***** and giggles.

I don't understand how a decision that's been overturned ruins the character for the present when it's over and done with. 

@cody1984 said: 

Not when they can't talk about it and it becomes a kind of sorta of situation.

They absolutely can "talk about it". 

@cody1984 said:

You said "big events" you didn't state only specific events.

Along with that I stated being in the Mighty Avengers..I also previously stated Dark Reign killed her book.I assumed you could come to the conclusion of what I meant on your own. 

@cody1984 said:

Dude if you can't prove what I stated as false than don't claim it was. Your entitled to your own opinion but don't try and say my opinion of that title is false without giving me a real example of why it actually was. I'll agree to disagree with you but don't try to "correct me" because you feel differently.

I don't really have to prove anything.It wasn't relevant to my point and I shouldn't have even responded to it.I still believe what you said is false and it's not going to change just because i'm not going to bother getting into a off-topic argument about something that has no relevance.

@cody1984 said:

Which you claimed killed her series with Moonstone taking over and wouldn't have happened unless Dark Reign happened.

This is obvious and I don't understand why you're stating it at all. Unless it's still some left over misunderstanding about my point. 

@cody1984 said:

How many of them are actually able to hold a regular monthly title year in year out?

Marvel hasn't quite mastered it yet but DC seems to do it pretty well.Batgirl has had a long running series and just rebooted,Supergirl ended Volume 5 before the reboot,Power Girl who is essentially Supergirl was a popular series before the reboot,Harley Quinn (Joker knock-off) who isn't even a main villain had a 38 issue series.Female characters don't tend to sell but in Marvel's case the ones who you call knock-offs do alot better than ones who aren't.Black Widow has 4 volumes but their all really short.I don't remember any of them being over 10 issues,Silver Sable hasn't had a book since the 90's,Storm has only has miniseries,as has Scarlet Witch,but characters like She-Hulk,Spider-Girl,Ms.Marvel,have had ongoing series that in only two volumes surpass the number of books 

@cody1984 said:

It hurts the characters gaining their own identity since people will always think of a character like Spiderwoman as a knock off of Spiderman not allowing Jessica Drew to completely come into her own.

Bendis' Spider-Woman book did well sales wise and only ended because Maleev needed a break.As he had just been doing Daredevil volume 2.So you don't have a point.If selling comics had anything to do with originality then so many characters wouldn't have borrowed characteristics from each others...and that doesn't just go for characters you are calling knock-offs that goes for characters that have fairly original concepts. 

@cody1984 said:

Again going back to my point about big events hurting her book.

Terrible point to make.One event ruined her book not all of them.The events where she had a role (everyone before Dark Reign) helped her tremendously. 

@cody1984 said:

How many comics does Wonder Woman have exactly?

I forgot to say "Marvel Female characters".Wonder Woman would be irrelevant to that statement. 

@cody1984 said:

I think you miss my point here. It's not one or two lousy stories...it's character derailment.

It really isn't.They didn't derail Punisher.His character conceptually has been the same since day one.

@cody1984 said:

Wolverine has been mocked for worse by others writing him then Ennis. Wolverine's revenge fight against the Punisher led to the whole you ran me over with a steam roller so I'll call you gay moment. Seriously do a google search of "wolverine's most embarrassing moments" and people list his revenge fight against the Punisher as far worse offense.

Why you think this makes Ennis' poor treatment of Wolverine any better is beyond my comprehension.
    Captain Danvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Captain Danvers
    @cody1984 said:

X-Force as it is now is the Punisher style X-men. Anyway the point was and still is that the series was not tied majorly into others allowing at least initially (I read the series through marvel digital comics) more freedom for the writers to have a well balanced story arcs that flowed together much more nicely. The same goes for the Punisher's MAX series as well. I'm not talking about the content differences between the books I'm talking about the stories building off each other and being easier to follow than that of Ms. Marvel's series. If you want another example I would say that Mystique's miniseries (granted it was a miniseries) flowed much better then Ms. Marvel's series as well the same goes from what I've read of Alias as well. These felt more like graphic novels (especially punisher max) than a bunch of single issue comics which the Ms. Marvel series was written as. What I mean by that is Ms. Marvel's series felt like it could get cancelled at anytime so they jammed as much as they could into each issue thinking that the book could get dropped at any moment. Granted the book had these big events which majorly interrupted trying to write long detailed story arcs that flowed together nicely. For the record I actually do like the Ms. Marvel character but I couldn't stand her series (yes I read all of it) because it just felt poorly written.

X-Force is still essentially the X-men. The style of the book doesn't change the fact that it is what it is because X-men is already a popular series and Wolverine who has a major role on that team is one of the most popular characters in comics. Just because they story arcs don't involve tons of cameos and tie-ins to other things doesn't change the fact that they are X-men. I'm not understanding what this has to do with Ms.Marvel though or why you think separating her from the Avengers or events would have helped her. As far as what you say about Ms.Marvel's series being all over the place..I don't get how someone reads that in it's entirety and says this.It's a pretty straight forward book.I don't really know how to even begin to argue against it because it doesn't make any sense. Yea, Alias flowed better, it's Jessica Jones origin story.Of course it did.She wasn't responsible for as much as Ms.Marvel. Purple Man was her only enemy in the book.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cody1984

@9th Wonder said:

No I'm stating it was done for the heck of it.

These two situations actually have nothing to do with each other. You can't compare them. They aren't just two bad arcs one instance would have harmed the character in the future.The other one is completely irrelevant to the characters future.

Their both character derailment.

I don't understand how a decision that's been overturned ruins the character for the present when it's over and done with.

Because it ruins the characters past and leaves a tarnished mark on the characters history.

Not when its a hated failure.

Along with that I stated being in the Mighty Avengers..I also previously stated Dark Reign killed her book.I assumed you could come to the conclusion of what I meant on your own.

You said big event Dark Reign was a big event. Don't talk to me coming to a certain conclusion when you are contradicting yourself.

I don't really have to prove anything.It wasn't relevant to my point and I shouldn't have even responded to it.I still believe what you said is false and it's not going to change just because i'm not going to bother getting into a off-topic argument about something that has no relevance.

You can believe my opinion is wrong but trying to state its wrong by just saying so was what annoyed me.

This is obvious and I don't understand why you're stating it at all.

The point was you were stating big events didn't hurt her book yet dark reigned a big event killed it. In other words you are contradicting yourself.

Marvel hasn't quite mastered it yet but DC seems to do it pretty well.Batgirl has had a long running series and just rebooted,Supergirl ended Volume 5 before the reboot,Power Girl who is essentially Supergirl was a popular series before the reboot,Harley Quinn (Joker knock-off) who isn't even a main villain had a 38 issue series.Female characters don't tend to sell but in Marvel's case the ones who you call knock-offs do alot better than ones who aren't.

DC does better with selling female characters that is true but correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe marvel is lot quicker to drop a book with lower sales figures.

Black Widow has 4 volumes but their all really short.I don't remember any of them being over 10 issues,Silver Sable hasn't had a book since the 90's,Storm has only has miniseries,as has Scarlet Witch,but characters like She-Hulk,Spider-Girl,Ms.Marvel,have had ongoing series that in only two volumes surpass the number of books

Spider girl did last a while I'll give you that but it barely lasted dodging the bullet of getting cancelled quite often.

Bendis' Spider-Woman book did well sales wise and only ended because Maleev needed a break.

How many issues was it again?

If selling comics had anything to do with originality then so many characters wouldn't have borrowed characteristics from each others...and that doesn't just go for characters you are calling knock-offs that goes for characters that have fairly original concepts.

Characters created as knock offs can sell but the characters that aren't knock offs tend to have a lot more issues put out. Vampirella, Witchblade, and Wonderwoman have more of their own comics put out then Ms. Marvel, Spider Woman, and She Hulk.

Terrible point to make.One event ruined her book not all of them.The events where she had a role (everyone before Dark Reign) helped her tremendously.

It was a big event that killed her book so the point about big events stands.

I forgot to say "Marvel Female characters".Wonder Woman would be irrelevant to that statement.

Yeah I thought you say something like that.

It really isn't.They didn't derail Punisher.His character conceptually has been the same since day one.

Bull****. They tried to change the character completely several times with the Punisher deciding willingly to join the mob...you know the guys he's been killing for decades. When he was angel punisher he didn't kill band guys in his second miniseries saying that they learned their lesson...way way way out of character. Hell the trope even lists Punisher Purgatory as a prime example of Character derailment.

Why you think this makes Ennis' poor treatment of Wolverine any better is beyond my comprehension.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't care how you feel about the way wolverine was treated. He got made to look like an ass that is true but his character wasn't derailed like the Punisher has been and that is a huge difference.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cody1984

@Captain Danvers said:

@cody1984 said:

X-Force is still essentially the X-men. The style of the book doesn't change the fact that it is what it is because X-men is already a popular series and Wolverine who has a major role on that team is one of the most popular characters in comics. Just because they story arcs don't involve tons of cameos and tie-ins to other things doesn't change the fact that they are X-men. I'm not understanding what this has to do with Ms.Marvel though or why you think separating her from the Avengers or events would have helped her. As far as what you say about Ms.Marvel's series being all over the place..I don't get how someone reads that in it's entirety and says this.It's a pretty straight forward book.I don't really know how to even begin to argue against it because it doesn't make any sense. Yea, Alias flowed better, it's Jessica Jones origin story.Of course it did.She wasn't responsible for as much as Ms.Marvel. Purple Man was her only enemy in the book.

The part I have bolded is my point. It didn't just flow better it actually flowed unlike Ms. Marvel's series. Alias focused on her character and the series didn't get dominated by major events happening in the marvel universe. It had a clear straight path that felt more like a graphic novel than a bunch of single issue stories that felt like everything possible was jammed into them in case marvel decided to drop the book. The way they transitioned to Carol's past in afghanistan and her being on spy mission felt like someone slamming on the brakes going 80 mph trying to come to a dead stop with you in the car. The transition to it just wasn't there...it just happened. If Carol's book took place ignoring the major events going on in the marvel universe I do think the book would've flowed and not been jarring at all. Then theirs the stories for the characters they tried to develop for the series that never got explained. What happened to her love interest exactly? Did he die is he still alive? What about the one member from operation lightning strike with him being immortal they never explained that one either. They just abandoned it and never came back to it all in the series that just left me as reader going "why the hell did you even bother writing about them?" The series lacked character development for the introduced supporting cast. The series just didn't come off as something well written to me. Than again I'm not used to reading a ton of mainstream comics so that could be the answer to why we have different views on this.

Captain Danvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Captain Danvers
    @cody1984 said:

The part I have bolded is my point. It didn't just flow better it actually flowed unlike Ms. Marvel's series. Alias focused on her character and the series didn't get dominated by major events happening in the marvel universe. It had a clear straight path that felt more like a graphic novel than a bunch of single issue stories that felt like everything possible was jammed into them in case marvel decided to drop the book. The way they transitioned to Carol's past in afghanistan and her being on spy mission felt like someone slamming on the brakes going 80 mph trying to come to a dead stop with you in the car. The transition to it just wasn't there...it just happened. If Carol's book took place ignoring the major events going on in the marvel universe I do think the book would've flowed and not been jarring at all. Then theirs the stories for the characters they tried to develop for the series that never got explained. What happened to her love interest exactly? Did he die is he still alive? What about the one member from operation lightning strike with him being immortal they never explained that one either. They just abandoned it and never came back to it all in the series that just left me as reader going "why the hell did you even bother writing about them?" The series lacked character development for the introduced supporting cast. The series just didn't come off as something well written to me. Than again I'm not used to reading a ton of mainstream comics so that could be the answer to why we have different views on this.

How does that make sense to you? Do you seriously not see the huge difference between Alias and Ms.Marvel's book. Alias focused simply on Jessica Jones as a character because it was her origin story. She didn't exist before that book came out. How could it have gotten dominated by major events when she A. wasn't an important character at the time. B. Events didn't become a steady thing until like 4-5 years after Alias had ended. Ms.Marvel is a superhero. She takes care of threats that others can't or won't. Jessica Jones was a private investigator with no rouge gallery or villains accept Purple Man.How you compare an origin story to an ongoing doesn't make any sense. 

The stuff you are using to say that her book was inconsistent is seemingly picky. The part of her book that involved her past and Afghanistan doesn't represent the entirety of her book.It's like 4-5 issues out of 40.If the book wasn't well written to you, that's one thing but that's alot different than saying it wasn't consistent. They picked their spots for each arc and they made sense in the order they were done in. You're saying that the book lacked character development for the supporting cast when those characters were not only the supporting cast for short time it's not their book. They are veteran superheroes (accept Arana who had more development in Carol's book than her own miniseries).They had their own books at some point. It's not like they were at Foggy Nelson status or anything, you would want him to be developed through Daredevil because that's the main book he appears in and he has many appearances in it.It wouldn't make sense if there was no character development for him, but for characters appearing in another characters book who are already established heroes and only appeared for a short time.I can't understand why you thought there would be any development of those characters.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cody1984

@Captain Danvers said:

@cody1984 said:

How does that make sense to you? Do you seriously not see the huge difference between Alias and Ms.Marvel's book. Alias focused simply on Jessica Jones as a character because it was her origin story. She didn't exist before that book came out. How could it have gotten dominated by major events when she A. wasn't an important character at the time. B. Events didn't become a steady thing until like 4-5 years after Alias had ended. Ms.Marvel is a superhero. She takes care of threats that others can't or won't. Jessica Jones was a private investigator with no rouge gallery or villains accept Purple Man.How you compare an origin story to an ongoing doesn't make any sense. The stuff you are using to say that her book was inconsistent is seemingly picky. The part of her book that involved her past and Afghanistan doesn't represent the entirety of her book.It's like 4-5 issues out of 40.If the book wasn't well written to you, that's one thing but that's alot different than saying it wasn't consistent. They picked their spots for each arc and they made sense in the order they were done in. You're saying that the book lacked character development for the supporting cast when those characters were not only the supporting cast for short time it's not their book. They are veteran superheroes (accept Arana who had more development in Carol's book than her own miniseries).They had their own books at some point. It's not like they were at Foggy Nelson status or anything, you would want him to be developed through Daredevil because that's the main book he appears in and he has many appearances in it.It wouldn't make sense if there was no character development for him, but for characters appearing in another characters book who are already established heroes and only appeared for a short time.I can't understand why you thought there would be any development of those characters.

I gave one example of Alias I also gave another example being the Punisher's MAX series and Mystique's series as well to talk about what I meant by flow. Her past and the spy event felt like someone just slamming on the brakes changing direction with no reason given at all. I'm sorry but that was a really rough transition. You also do realize I'm talking about the character development of the shield characters right? I'm not refering to wonder man and machine man but the shield members assigned to operation lightning strike that were introduced in the Ms. Marvel series. The point about the supporting cast is if you are going to introduce them then hint at them having back story then you should tell the story or don't bother giving those characters back story. I hate when writers do that since it stands out like a sore thumb. Also again I'm not seeing consistency in here series. The arcs jumped around to much with what she dealt with having supportering characters getting hinted at having an interesting back stories get dropped and then have her love interest vanish and her not finding out what happened just left me going wtf when I was reading the series. The series needed less things going on and the quality of the writing just wasn't good.

Captain Danvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Captain Danvers
    @cody1984 said:

I gave one example of Alias I also gave another example being the Punisher's MAX series and Mystique's series as well to talk about what I meant by flow. Her past and the spy event felt like someone just slamming on the brakes changing direction with no reason given at all. I'm sorry but that was a really rough transition. You also do realize I'm talking about the character development of the shield characters right? I'm not refering to wonder man and machine man but the shield members assigned to operation lightning strike that were introduced in the Ms. Marvel series. The point about the supporting cast is if you are going to introduce them then hint at them having back story then you should tell the story or don't bother giving those characters back story. I hate when writers do that since it stands out like a sore thumb. Also again I'm not seeing consistency in here series. The arcs jumped around to much with what she dealt with having supportering characters getting hinted at having an interesting back stories get dropped and then have her love interest vanish and her not finding out what happened just left me going wtf when I was reading the series. The series needed less things going on and the quality of the writing just wasn't good.

LOL @ this. The fact that you can't see why That Punisher book, Mystique's miniseries, & Alias are no comparison to an important heroes book just tells me I shouldn't continue this. These are by far some of the most picky and ridiculous reasons i've read for someone not liking a series. Half of your issue with the book focuses on things that weren't really even important to her book. And you for some reason think she had a supporting cast when she didn't. How can character be supporting cast if Brian Reed didn't find them important enough to develop them? Oh I don't know, maybe because they weren't her supporting cast. I still don't know what you're saying about consistency. I don't know how you read a book where a character deals with enemies and other characters that she has a history with and then you say it's inconsistent, it's hilarious.You can say the writing wasn't good, that's fine but your whole, slamming on the breaks, didn't transition well, inconsistency statements are funny to me after reading what you're using to back it up.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cody1984

@Captain Danvers said:

@cody1984 said:

LOL @ this. The fact that you can't see why That Punisher book, Mystique's miniseries, & Alias are no comparison to an important heroes book just tells me I shouldn't continue this. These are by far some of the most picky and ridiculous reasons i've read for someone not liking a series. Half of your issue with the book focuses on things that weren't really even important to her book. And you for some reason think she had a supporting cast when she didn't. How can character be supporting cast if Brian Reed didn't find them important enough to develop them? Oh I don't know, maybe because they weren't her supporting cast. I still don't know what you're saying about consistency. I don't know how you read a book where a character deals with enemies and other characters that she has a history with and then you say it's inconsistent, it's hilarious.You can say the writing wasn't good, that's fine but your whole, slamming on the breaks, didn't transition well, inconsistency statements are funny to me after reading what you're using to back it up.

Not being rude her but if it the Ms Marvel series was really important the series wouldn't have gotten dropped. As far as my reasons go I like to read a good story that pays attention to detail something the Ms. Marvel series didn't deliver. If you view the only thing important to the book is seeing Ms. Marvel kick ass and nothing else the book is going to suck. As far as the supporting cast goes they were part of her group operation lightning strike and fought along side her for several issues. That makes them supporting characters not just canon fodder. The one guy who is supposed to be immortal is over a hundred years old according to the one flash back scene and fought alongside machine man several times was a pretty cool character but they just went nowhere with him. He was somewhat interesting and they just later on don't mention it at all. Brian Reed dropped the ball there big time. For all your commenting about me being wrong I'm still not seeing how the Ms. Marvel series wasn't a train wreck.

Captain Danvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Captain Danvers
    @cody1984 said:

Not being rude her but if it the Ms Marvel series was really important the series wouldn't have gotten dropped. As far as my reasons go I like to read a good story that pays attention to detail something the Ms. Marvel series didn't deliver. If you view the only thing important to the book is seeing Ms. Marvel kick ass and nothing else the book is going to suck. As far as the supporting cast goes they were part of her group operation lightning strike and fought along side her for several issues. That makes them supporting characters not just canon fodder. The one guy who is supposed to be immortal is over a hundred years old according to the one flash back scene and fought alongside machine man several times was a pretty cool character but they just went nowhere with him. He was somewhat interesting and they just later on don't mention it at all. Brian Reed dropped the ball there big time. For all your commenting about me being wrong I'm still not seeing how the Ms. Marvel series wasn't a train wreck.

Didn't say the series was important I said she was important.Alot of characters who actually important to the Marvel Universe don't have an ongoing title.I'm not trying to convince you about anything anymore I'm just going to assume you're the only one who thinks like this and let it go.Also LOL @ you still trying to prove Ms.Marvel had a supporting cast.
    9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

@9th Wonder said:

Because it ruins the characters past and leaves a tarnished mark on the characters history.

You said big event Dark Reign was a big event. Don't talk to me coming to a certain conclusion when you are contradicting yourself.

You can believe my opinion is wrong but trying to state its wrong by just saying so was what annoyed me.

The point was you were stating big events didn't hurt her book yet dark reigned a big event killed it. In other words you are contradicting yourself.

Marvel hasn't quite mastered it yet but DC seems to do it pretty well.Batgirl has had a long running series and just rebooted,Supergirl ended Volume 5 before the reboot,Power Girl who is essentially Supergirl was a popular series before the reboot,Harley Quinn (Joker knock-off) who isn't even a main villain had a 38 issue series.Female characters don't tend to sell but in Marvel's case the ones who you call knock-offs do alot better than ones who aren't.

DC does better with selling female characters that is true but correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe marvel is lot quicker to drop a book with lower sales figures.

Black Widow has 4 volumes but their all really short.I don't remember any of them being over 10 issues,Silver Sable hasn't had a book since the 90's,Storm has only has miniseries,as has Scarlet Witch,but characters like She-Hulk,Spider-Girl,Ms.Marvel,have had ongoing series that in only two volumes surpass the number of books

Spider girl did last a while I'll give you that but it barely lasted dodging the bullet of getting cancelled quite often.

Bendis' Spider-Woman book did well sales wise and only ended because Maleev needed a break.

If selling comics had anything to do with originality then so many characters wouldn't have borrowed characteristics from each others...and that doesn't just go for characters you are calling knock-offs that goes for characters that have fairly original concepts.

Characters created as knock offs can sell but the characters that aren't knock offs tend to have a lot more issues put out. Vampirella, Witchblade, and Wonderwoman have more of their own comics put out then Ms. Marvel, Spider Woman, and She Hulk.

Bull****. They tried to change the character completely several times with the Punisher deciding willingly to join the mob...you know the guys he's been killing for decades. When he was angel punisher he didn't kill band guys in his second miniseries saying that they learned their lesson...way way way out of character. Hell the trope even lists Punisher Purgatory as a prime example of Character derailment.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't care how you feel about the way wolverine was treated. He got made to look like an ass that is true but his character wasn't derailed like the Punisher has been and that is a huge difference.

This is clearly an over-estimation of what impact Frankencastle will have on The Punisher. I don't think your posts represent the feelings of most Punisher fans and i'm content with that. I didn't mention how I felt about the way Wolverine was treated because you're supposed to care it was really to make fun of a writer you were praising like he's actually a good writer when in actuality he like Daniel Way and other mediocre writers have simply used characters like Wolverine to make other characters look better in comparison.He sucks. I don't care if you care how I feel about it. The reference material you use to try and oppose the things that I say almost never have a viable connection to what's being discussed. Kind of tired of "breaking it down" to you.
    bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bionder

I almost bet that Franken-Castle will not be referred in this new run. Don't know if the Frank's death in dark reign had repercussions in other heroes or if they noticed. I only read the Punisher series.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cody1984

@Captain Danvers said:

@cody1984 said:

Didn't say the series was important I said she was important.Alot of characters who actually important to the Marvel Universe don't have an ongoing title.I'm not trying to convince you about anything anymore I'm just going to assume you're the only one who thinks like this and let it go.Also LOL @ you still trying to prove Ms.Marvel had a supporting cast.

You said an important heroes book refering to her book being important. Anyway, if they weren't a supporting cast then what would you call them exactly?

@9th Wonder said:

@cody1984 said:

@9th Wonder said:

This is clearly an over-estimation of what impact Frankencastle will have on The Punisher. I don't think your posts represent the feelings of most Punisher fans and i'm content with that.

I'm actually being a lot nicer about FrankenCastle then most Punisher fans.

to make fun of a writer you were praising like he's actually a good writer when in actuality he like Daniel Way and other mediocre writers have simply used characters like Wolverine to make other characters look better in comparison.

If Garth Ennis was actually a bad writer he wouldn't be rated as one of the top writers in the industry. That is a fact. You might not like that but he is consider one of the best comic book writers out there.

He sucks.

Just because you don't like the guy doesn't mean he isn't talented. I don't like Rick Remender but I will give him credit for being a somewhat talented writer. It seems like your angry Remender and wolverine fan that has a beef against Ennis .

I don't care if you care how I feel about it.

Then why do you keep responding.

Kind of tired of "breaking it down" to you.

If you meant by "breaking it down" as in proving you don't have a point then sure you did succeed at that.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cody1984

@Bionder said:

I almost bet that Franken-Castle will not be referred in this new run. Don't know if the Frank's death in dark reign had repercussions in other heroes or if they noticed. I only read the Punisher series.

Greg Rucka has stated he's going to be ignoring the previous books in interviews so it's not going to get mentioned in his Punisher series.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bionder

@cody1984 said:

@Bionder said:

Greg Rucka has stated he's going to be ignoring the previous books in interviews so it's not going to get mentioned in his Punisher series.

That's good.

I think all the Punisher fans should get something positive in the Franken-Castle era. In my vision of things as i said before because of that "event" Frank Castle got rejuvenated which is good because in the battlefield he would be better as ever, more reflexes, strenght, etc.

Don't know if Rucka would take this in mind, In my opinion this is important for development of the character.

From what i read in the battle vs Vulture he has done quite well.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By SevanGrim

All of marvel should have a "Crisis" and fold all their continuities together...

or better yet, just drop the standard Marvel u and make Ultimate the primary line. Its already far more interesting and there are no crappy concepts like the "ultimate nullifyer" or "Infinity Gauntlets".

Marvel shits all over all their characters. they would make Captain America a rapist tomorrow if they thought it would make a good event. They could make millions of small fixes. But they never will

9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @cody1984 said:

If Garth Ennis was actually a bad writer he wouldn't be rated as one of the top writers in the industry. That is a fact. You might not like that but he is consider one of the best comic book writers out there.

I'm not stating that Garth Ennis is a bad writer as a fact. It's my opinion.You can't say that it's wrong because you can't prove it.It doesn't matter how many books he sells or how many accolades he receives, I can still say he's a garbage writer because that's my opinion and he's written things that I take issue with because they are poorly written not because I just don't like them for no reason.Which is why I don't care how you feel about what I said about Ennis because when i've read what i've read you can't change my mind. I've read stuff that he's written that shows blatant disrespect and lack of knowledge of certain characters so as far as i'm concerned he sucks. 

@cody1984 said:

Just because you don't like the guy doesn't mean he isn't talented. I don't like Rick Remender but I will give him credit for being a somewhat talented writer. It seems like your angry Remender and wolverine fan that has a beef against Ennis .

I'm not an angry anything thing fan. I don't even know why you're throwing Remender in there. I could care less about Remender and my beef with Ennis really has nothing to do with Wolverine. It more has to do with the use of mediocre plot devices. I mentioned Wolverine because his offenses against Wolverine are the worst. 

@cody1984 said:

If you meant by "breaking it down" as in proving you don't have a point then sure you did succeed at that.

By breaking it down I mean every time I read your responses there's loads of stuff that I just feel is nonsense. Sitting here cutting up your posts and responding to every little bit at this point is serves no purpose. You're obviously not going to budge and at the end of the day it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I personally feel like you're being over-dramatic about it with the whole character derailment thing but I guess that's just my opinion. To sit here and say that I don't have a point is either an attempt at an insult or comprehension issue on your part.I'm assuming it's the first one.It doesn't matter to me either way.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Personally I think that the time that the Punisher spent as Captain America and when he became Frankencastle where the most interested I had been in him aside from when he was working with Rampage (Stuart Clark) who had been making him weapons and during Dark Reign.I don't think Frankencastle was done (writing wise) as well as it good have been done but overall it was an interesting concept. The Punisher as a character is kind of a stale. Most of what can or could be done with Frank has kind of already been done. Because of the type of character he is I think the arcs that people didn't like where something writers were trying out on their readers because they are at a loss of what to actually do with him at this point. I think Moon Knight and Deadpool suffer from a similar thing right now where their character concept isn't really strong enough for them to have much more material to spread through their books for years to come. I think that's why arcs that are kind of obscure happen. I don't think Marvel should retcon Frankencastle. In fact I think if they would have made Frank a little monster team and then made that a book it may have helped sell the concept. As an idea I don't think Frankencastle should be erased from Castle's past. I think that having some good story arcs in the future will overshadow that. I think when Dan Slott was writing Mighty Avengers and he took some interest in Hank Pym it kind of made people forget all about the fact that he created one of the Avengers most powerful villains, he slapped his wife, and has just done some of the most borderline villainous stuff over the years. He's actually gained some popularity from those Dark Reign arcs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.