SDCC 2010: Marvel Studios takes back rights to Punisher movies...

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jamesewelch

Marvel announced today that Marvel Studios now has the rights to Punisher movies. This places Punisher back in the ring alongside other Marvel Studio movies such as Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, Hulk, and Captain America (along with some characters without movies). As soon as the existing contracts with other movie studios (such as Fox with X-Men, Sony with Spider-man, etc.) expire or they give up the rights, then Marvel Studios (the film/movie branch of Marvel) can get the rights back, which means crossovers and integration (like with Iron Man, etc.)

"Frank Castle is under the roof of Marvel Studios now and we hope to bring him into the fray shortly." - Kevin Feige at #MarvelStudiosPanel 

Marvel Studios is hoping to do a good Punisher movie now that it has the property/character back under its roof.

Will the 4th Punisher movie be the best now that it's in the hands of Marvel?

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ahumancartoon

Great news! now if only they could get the other ones back too, specifically Spider-Man and X-Men.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

From my understanding, all outstanding franchises will eventually revert to Disney.  It was part of the Marvel purchase, allowing other studios to continue making movies unless they stop and that's when the particular team or character returns to the House of Mouse.   

I can't imagine how they'd make a Punisher film.  Not after they announced that no Marvel film will be R rated.

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahumancartoon
@xerox-kitty:
oh the heck with it, let Puinsher put rubber bullets in the clip and have at it. No, that wouldn't work cause then he would have to change his name to the Bruiser. 

And since he's back at Marvel they might as well put him in the Avengers too. Now that would be interesting wouldn't it?
TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheMess1428
@jamesewelch said:
"Will the 4th Punisher movie be the best now that it's in the hands of Marvel?"
4? There's only 2 big hollywood movies for Punisher. The other one is too old to count. 

@ahumancartoon said:
"And since he's back at Marvel they might as well put him in the Avengers too. Now that would be interesting wouldn't it?"
They could have Punisher and Hawkeye be rivals. Bullets vs Arrows. 

I just want Punisher to attempt to kill Spider-Man in a movie. That'd be awesome.
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024
@xerox-kitty:
Wait, what? No film is to be R rated? Well this is bad news...  

I mean Punisher isn't exactly PG-13 stuff...
bringdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bringdeath

BRING ON VIETNAM ORIGINS PLEASE MARVEL PLEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEEE MAKKKKKE A GOOD PUNISHER MOVIE PUNISHER WARZONE WAS AWESOME FOR THE FANS LIKE MYSELF BUT BRING THE ENNIS TALES!!!
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jamesewelch
@TheMess1428:@TheMess1428 said:

" @jamesewelch said:

"Will the 4th Punisher movie be the best now that it's in the hands of Marvel?"
4? There's only 2 big hollywood movies for Punisher. The other one is too old to count. 

Just because something is older and not a "big hollywood" movie doesn't mean it doesn't count. :)

That's like saying X-Men #1 doesn't count because it's old and sold less copies than the last issue of Uncanny X-Men. Not everyone on ComicVine are teenagers, some of us are old enough and been Punisher fans long enough to remember the first movie when it came out.
TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMess1428
@jamesewelch: I actually meant like as in a series. All three movies were not in the same series. Believe it or not, Punisher: War Zone was the sequel to The Punisher.
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jamesewelch
@TheMess1428: Yes I know they rebooted the series. I've watched all of the movies, too. If, that's a big "if", they do a new Punisher movie, they'll probably reboot it again and start over from scratch.
Kenshiro28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kenshiro28
@Gambit1024:  they could always push it as hard as they can like Dark Knight did.
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Gambit1024
@Kenshiro28:  
Then it's gonna have to be pushed pretty hard. How much can you get away with in PG-13 murders?
TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMess1428
@jamesewelch: Yeah I figured they would. New studio, new series.
BK-77-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BK-77-7

That is Great news I love the Punisher

Eggimann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Eggimann

They cant rate it PG-13. It be awful. It would be interesting to see him fighting other heroes in the movies as i guess this will bring him into the Marvel Movie Universe with Iron Man and the others. They could also let him team up with Nick Fury. 

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I am curious to see what they do with the reboot of Frank Castle.
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By N7_Normandy

Punisher's a tough sell at PG-13

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Red was PG-13 and it was a good movie, so I am not buying it has to be rated R for it to be good.

Eggimann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Eggimann
@Nova`Prime`: 

Have not seen Red, but isnt that movie an action/comedy? Those are pretty much the only movies that can succeed with an PG-13.  Which is pretty different from the Punisher, which has to my mind always been a pretty dark character. And action always is better with blood.
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@Eggimann: Sure it was, but there was plenty of blood. Hell in one part it had a woman blown up by an RPG. The point of the matter is for an action movie to be good it doesn't need to be rated R. Most movies that get the R rating is because of either nudity, or excessive foul language. I personally think Marvel needs to pull out their tampon and just do another Punisher movie and not worry about what its going to be rated. Obviously you do a movie based on Punisher MAX or Marvel Knights you're already expecting an R rating, it shouldn't matter to them. They acknowledge their comics aren't just for kids, they need to figure that out for their movies as well.
Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome!!!!!!!

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

Questing.

TheMadMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMadMonkey

The Punisher movies weren't bad for what they were.  They could have been better, yes...but...still not the worst I've ever seen.

Avatar image for reversenegative
ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By ReverseNegative
@TheMadMonkey said:
The Punisher movies weren't bad for what they were.  They could have been better, yes...but...still not the worst I've ever seen.

I thought War Zone was the best characterization of the Punisher that I have ever seen in film.
Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
I think they are just going to be using  "Frank Castle" as a title and I would be fine with that I mean after all "The Punisher" is a cheesey name. Don't get me wrong I like Frank but I just never saw a logical reason why he would call himself that. I always liked to believed it was an alias that the press came up with and the name stuck so he just started calling himself that after a while. Because even in a world of superheroes Frank never seemed, to me anyway, the kind of person to come up with a name for himself especially since he doesn't have a secret identity of any kind. I also think this new title is good since it will distance the film from all the other Punisher movies that came out before. Also since Marvel has the rights back they can give Frank the Iron Man treatment  and make a great film!!! If was making this movie I would not make it an origin movie, I would go the Incredible Hulk route and get his origin out the way either before or during the opening credits. I'd also try to make it less of an action movie and more of a crime drama since at it's heart thats what the story of Frank Castle is. Like have a few shoot out scenes, but I'd try to keep away from the huge over the top action scenes. I think if they went that route not only will we get a good Punisher movie but a good movie over all.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By cody1984

Being honest here they should forget the movie route entirely and do a show based on the Punisher MAX comics for cable.  People who watch True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, OZ, Sopranos, Spartacus, The Wire, etc. are the kind of audience that the Punisher is suited for and a show of his would be similar in the level of violence in action as the others I have listed and the people who watch those types of shows are more like to have a positive reaction to the Punisher.  The movie route I just don't see as working anytime soon because it just won't do the Punisher justice.   HBO would be ideal for this but they are owned by Time Warner so the show might have to get pitched to ShowTime or Encore instead.      

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should probably watch one of the Punisher films.  Haven't seen a single one.

Avatar image for captain_justice95
Captain_Justice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they do make a new movie make Timothy Olophant the Punisher

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.