Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Punisher MAX in the Marvel Universe

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adam Michaels

I've often wondered and actually never looked for the answer. 

Does the Punisher MAX series fall into the regular Marvel Universe? I know there isn't a specific universe created for this series, but does it count in the continuity of Punisher in the 616 universe?

Or does it stand on its own and is there only to tell Punisher stories with no restrictions, for the fun of it?
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Its mostly a stand alone, you never hear of other heroes in the Punisher MAX titles. Also his history is slightly altered from the original universe. I actually wish they'd do a slightly more serious MAX for Fury, not at the end of his career, but during the wild days of the spy game or even his time with the Howling Commandos.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mutant X
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " Its mostly a stand alone, you never hear of other heroes in the Punisher MAX titles. Also his history is slightly altered from the original universe. I actually wish they'd do a slightly more serious MAX for Fury, not at the end of his career, but during the wild days of the spy game or even his time with the Howling Commandos. "
    A Fury MAX series? That would be AWESOME.
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Adam Michaels

It's been done though. I don't know if you're aware or not. Other than his appearance in one of the Punisher story arcs, Fury got his own 6 issue MAX mini-series. 

Apparently Stan Lee wasn't happy about that because Fury is a character he created. He took it to heart when they turned him into an R-Rated comic. He's generally not  a fan of explicit content, but this one offended him most because it's one of his own characters. 

It's ironic though because back in the days, Stan Lee, I believe, was editor-in-chief when Marvel began breaking the comics code. At that time, comics like Blade were considered explicit and appauling.  

As much as I respect and admire Stan Lee, I believe that explicit comics do have their place in the industry. And I personally believe Punisher MAX is among the top R-Rated comics. 

Thanks for answering my question. It's not something I broke my head for, but it's a curiosity of mine I never really looked into. Now I got my answer.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Ya I know that's why I said a more series Fury MAX. It was kinda comedic, what with ordering all the prostitues and the stuff with his nephew. I want to see MAXified Fury Agent of SHIELD.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Moon Knight needs a MAX series =P
    Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mutant X
    @k4tzm4n said:

" Moon Knight needs a MAX series =P "

True.

And.. uhh.... Deadpool MAX, anyone?
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adam Michaels

Seriously, I think there are quite a few characters who can survive in MAX.  

I haven't read the Fury MAX series nor the Cage MAX which I will eventually read. 

But it's an interesting question, which characters do you think would work right in MAX?
    drone.devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By drone.devil

is Ghost Rider currently a MAX title?

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Tradog

Well fury is in the series so I think so.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brit
    @Adam Michaels said:

" I've often wondered and actually never looked for the answer.  Does the Punisher MAX series fall into the regular Marvel Universe? I know there isn't a specific universe created for this series, but does it count in the continuity of Punisher in the 616 universe? Or does it stand on its own and is there only to tell Punisher stories with no restrictions, for the fun of it? "

MAX is set in a different universe, it was intended for mature readers where it has no costumed superheroes and villians. As you said it has no restrictions which makes it totally cool!! Add the Punisher to it then it is awesome!! Too bad Garth Ennis is not writing the Punisher MAX right now. Thanks for taking the time reading my opinion!
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brit
    @drone.devil said:
    " is Ghost Rider currently a MAX title? "
    Nope, Ghost  Rider is set in the 616 Universe.  Plus all the titles that has the Marvel Knights logo is also set in the 616 Universe.
    drone.devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By drone.devil

they should push for a Ghost Rider series in the MAX-verse.

i don't consider Ghost Rider to be a costumed superhero....and they did Terror.....aren't they doing Man-Thing too?  It seems that MAX is going for horror or grittiness....not necessarily both in the same title....

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

from what ive read so far, MAX is a separate Universe...but, at times, a book or arc gets ruled as 616 continuity, and you pretty much need to look them up individually to know, unless you see one referenced in a mainstream book.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brit
    @drone.devil said:
    " they should push for a Ghost Rider series in the MAX-verse.  i don't consider Ghost Rider to be a costumed superhero....and they did Terror.....aren't they doing Man-Thing too?  It seems that MAX is going for horror or grittiness....not necessarily both in the same title.... "
    Ghost Rider in a MAX title that'll be awesome!!
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAX are great books. ive got to remind myself to read the Thor one a friend suggested.

drone.devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By drone.devil
    @Brit said:
    " @drone.devil said:
    " they should push for a Ghost Rider series in the MAX-verse.  i don't consider Ghost Rider to be a costumed superhero....and they did Terror.....aren't they doing Man-Thing too?  It seems that MAX is going for horror or grittiness....not necessarily both in the same title.... "
    Ghost Rider in a MAX title that'll be awesome!! "
    yeah, just keep Daniel Way the fuck out of it, that's all I'm asking...
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brit
    @drone.devil said:
    " @Brit said:
    " @drone.devil said:
    Ghost Rider in a MAX title that'll be awesome!! "
    yeah, just keep Daniel Way the fuck out of it, that's all I'm asking... "
    Dude I agree with you 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.