Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Gerry Conway's Punisher

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By johnny_spam

I was listening to a podcast with Gerry Conway The Punisher creator and he says he felt that the movies failed because they weren't his interpretation of the character or as he put it the true interpertation. http://firestormfan.com/2010/01/15/gerry-conway-firestorm-interview-part-2/     

My question is how are they different? I read Garth Ennis' In the Beginning story and that's really it but I know about him more from that version then Gerry's take on him. 

Anyone agree that's why the movies failed?

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ger Conways version was vastly inferior to the Punisher that people know today. He was a very generic vigilante hitman who really wasnt very different from other "mystery man" type characters going around back in the 70s.  

The movies failed because they tried to copy Garth Ennis MK and MAX run and couldnt do either justice. Conways version probably wasnt even looked at by the movies writers, primarily because they were relying on the punisher: year one series.  

Gerry conways punisher vs garth ennis punisher: Conway had spiderman beat him down twice, and then gives him a lecture on morality . Ennis has him nuke an island full of mercenaries.   No comparison, no contest. Garth Ennis Punisher for the win.
    bringdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bringdeath
    @kev17 said:
    "Ger Conways version was vastly inferior to the Punisher that people know today. He was a very generic vigilante hitman who really wasnt very different from other "mystery man" type characters going around back in the 70s.   The movies failed because they tried to copy Garth Ennis MK and MAX run and couldnt do either justice. Conways version probably wasnt even looked at by the movies writers, primarily because they were relying on the punisher: year one series.   Gerry conways punisher vs garth ennis punisher: Conway had spiderman beat him down twice, and then gives him a lecture on morality . Ennis has him nuke an island full of mercenaries.   No comparison, no contest. Garth Ennis Punisher for the win. "

preach brotha
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont agree with him at all in fact thats pretty egotistical.
    alot of times fans forget that the larger part of a viewing audience
    of a movie are not comic fans nor diehards. how many people that
    saw the Thomas Jane film do you suppose had even read a Punisher comic?
    not the majority ill tell you that. no, i think the largest stone that sank those ships
    was that the majority of the viewing audience werent comic readers, and therefore
    werent imbued with a sense of nostalgia for the character. what they got out of it
    instead was a guy with guns shooting mobsters. some different stuff, but not really
    far off from any Rambo nor Charles Bronson movie, ect, done many times before it.
    so it was fun for them, but for alot, nothing special. especially the portion of movie
    goers that dont like objectless violence. that was about the more than the less of it.
    the second same thing, except no real desired actors in it to give it in excuse. can
    you imagine the reaction of a person who never read the comics seeing Jigsaw?

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CATMANEXE: 

Good point.  Neither movie had  very good promotion either, so not many people would have heard of it, apart from the odd trailer. Movies that are promoted right and look good to general audience will be movies that make money. (Just look at the dark knight)  The fact that they werent that good also had something to do with it (just my opinion, like my previous post).  

also i dont like that you said i was egotistical when i was just stating my opinion.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

Wow, stuck up much?
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnny_spam

It does suck that he said that they didn't give him credits on Punisher or Spider-Man. It is weird how much Ennis' version has taken the character I don't see much other version picture of him around from fans. But who knows I read more DC Comics then anything else.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.