Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Comic Book Arcade: Punisher for NES

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I feel as though I am being punished.
     I feel as though I am being punished.

The Nintendo Entertainment System. Excited yet? I am every time I hear those words. I get goosebumps. Then, I go and play it, and quickly realize that a majority of the games were utter garbage. However, there's tons of gold in dem there hills, and Punisher for the NES.... is certainly, undoubtedly, not one of them. And who do we have to blame, well, just like with the article on Wolverine, we have good old LJN to blame... A few of you may be thinking, "Well, the one for Xbox was good, and so was the arcade game," and you'd be right; however, this game is in a league of its own and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the other two, even though I just did.

When I recently started up the Punisher game, I had no clue what to expect. This game was released in 1990, one year after the Dolph Lungren film: Punisher: The Golden Blonde Years, and I didn't remember anything about it... That is... until I started playing it. Then the pain set in. The plot of LJN's Punisher game is this "How many minutes can the player last before getting pissed off and turning the game off, then chucking said game out the window." Answer: 5 minutes. Punisher has to shoot bad guys and save someone, or stop a bad guy, I don’t know. I skipped the intro because I really want to play, and does it really matter? It’s not like LJN was making critically acclaimed masterpieces. However, Jigsaw is in it, if you can bare putting up with a few levels of tedium.
    == TEASER ==
    So, when you think about great shooting games on the NES, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Contra. So, if you take the Punisher and put him into a contra type game, much like LJN’s Wolverine, you’d think to yourself, “hey, this is a great idea.” Sadly, LJN wasn’t known for their great ideas. Punisher is kind of a third person, over-the-shoulder shooter. Where, you have no real control over your character, you just move right as you aim your cross-hairs over blobs of blue, brown, green, and other colors of pukeyness. One of the buttons shots people, and the other lobs the worst grenade of all time. If you hit both buttons at the same time, your frustration meter rises, and if it gets full, you take the game out of the NES and put it on high for 10 minutes in the microwave. You’ll be lucky to ever hit anyone with it.

Are those guys shooting guns or playing harmonicas?
     Are those guys shooting guns or playing harmonicas?
    You start off the game by picking one of three terrible forced side-scrolling levels. You shoot guys in the face, kinda move around and die a whole bunch of times, and eventually, you reach the end, only to realize you have to do it a couple more times before the level is truly beaten. There’s some power-ups to pick up, but no spread-gun. I picked up a machine gun a few times, but realized there’s almost no difference between that and the hand gun, except you kinda fire faster.  

Wait... is he walking on water? Is this game a metaphor for Christianity?
     Wait... is he walking on water? Is this game a metaphor for Christianity?
    It's not an incredibly tough game by any means. It's just a game you get tired of after a few minutes. In addition, it's soulless. It feels like any random character holding a gun could be smashed into this game, but the same can be said for all video games featuring comic book heroes from the 80s and early 90s. This game does not do the character Punisher any justice. It has little to do with the character, and the only enjoyment you can get out of it is seeing how quickly you get frustrated by boring game play. The only punishing in this game is punishing the player is receiving. Even for a shooter, it's bad. The best thing you can do is try and forget the game, then go pick up Ennis' run of The Punisher. Do you guys remember this game? What was your least favorite part?

~Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring is a comedian, teacher, comic book writer, and comic store employee.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Magian

It definitely sounds like a very bad game.

JayUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By JayUK

Looks suspiciously like Operation Wolf which was popular at the time.

thiagofonseca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thiagofonseca

No, THIS is the metaphor for christianity: 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-naRP6vllXc&feature=player_embedded

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @thiagofonseca said:
    " No, THIS is the metaphor for christianity:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-naRP6vllXc&feature=player_embedded    "
    ......L..................O.............................L..............

I need this game
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Magian
    @thiagofonseca said:
    " No, THIS is the metaphor for christianity:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-naRP6vllXc&feature=player_embedded    "
    LMAO
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " It definitely sounds like a very bad game. "
    It IS a bad game.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jordanstine

The suckiest part was...

You can't even get to see PUNISHER'S trademark SKULL proudly on his chest since his back is turned all the time. 

It just looks like some guy in purple tights shooting people with dish washing gloves. 

P.S. 
    Was that Jim Lee's artwork on the box cover...?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Magian
    @ReverseNegative said:
    " @ComicMan24 said:
    It IS a bad game. "
    I assume you have played this game before.
    Juanmower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Juanmower

Can we turn these into video content, maybe with a giantbomb crossover. Like "This Ain't No Comic" or something like that? Be kind of cool to get some of this amazing gameplay(ha!) in HD comicvine web video.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By geraldthesloth

LJN

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LJN made bad games, which isn't a new revelation.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " @ReverseNegative said:
    " @ComicMan24 said:
    It IS a bad game. "
    I assume you have played this game before. "
    Unfortunately, yes.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magian
    @ReverseNegative said:
    " @ComicMan24 said:
    " @ReverseNegative said:
    " @ComicMan24 said:
    It IS a bad game. "
    I assume you have played this game before. "
    Unfortunately, yes. "
    That bad experience, I see
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I remember this game!  I went to a friends house once, party or something, and he had this.  Wow.
    I think, I don't remember the graphics being like that or the position Frank was placed in the frame of the camera.  But I think it was this one.
    How many Punisher games were there back then.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Juanmower said:
    " Can we turn these into video content, maybe with a giantbomb crossover. Like "This Ain't No Comic" or something like that? Be kind of cool to get some of this amazing gameplay(ha!) in HD comicvine web video. "
    This is a high possibility. Especially with picture-in-picture in order to see my frustration... the video part, not so much the crossover part since I'm like 2,000 miles away
    rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By rlmay3

You can tell this games a winner because on the cover, at the end of one of his guns, is a rainbow. I know it's part of a logo, but to come on!! 

The Punisher: Rated M for violence, blood, and gratuitous rainbows.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce Vain

Never played the game so I can't say anything about it. I knew about it and I heard how the layout was of the game and that was about it. 

You should do a review of the 2 Punisher games - the arcade one with Nick Fury and the best damn game I ever played is the recent one they did with Tom Jane in it for PS2.
    mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mickoreo_LZ
    @Juanmower:
    Video would be great for these classic arcade game segments. One of these days inferiorego you're gonna find an 80s or 90s superhero NES game that will rock your world. Or you could just play the greatest NES game ever envisioned: Duck Hunt
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marshal Victory

Used to own this as well as the xmen game .Had a large colection of comic conected nes games back when . traded them in to a comic shop for credit.boxes an all in near ment shape.For its time it wasnt horrible .but once threw you pretty much were done with it. 

Many of the old nes games now with boxes an books fetch a high price to collectors.Wonder how much this would go for now?
    Tsakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

User Lists: 56

#20  Edited By Tsakura

The Gameboy game was better... It had Spider-Man in it.... Ok, not that good, but I liked the Gameboy one WAY better then the NES one. 

No Caption Provided
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21  Edited By DMC

aw man I remember playing this game LOL......."sigh" I didn't know any better

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: 
    i've been gone awhile. have you ever done a Ninja Turtles Arcade game or Robocop Vs Terminator segment like this. If not Catman 
    would love that, especially the former as I'm programming a dedication to that game.

As for Punisher NES...oy! But, back then anything by LJN was best avoided right after THQ.
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By leokearon

Great article, very informative and funny.  

Any chance of doing Maximum Carnage?
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eyz

The Punisher, unlike say Superman, always had pretty nice, if not amazing, good game adaptations.

My favorite was the Megadrive (Genesis) arcade one. Fun, epic and quite challenging!
    It was always pretty well done, andt the 2nd player could play as Nick Fury!^^
    The Xbox/PS2 game that came around Thomas Jane's Punisher live movie was also quite epic!

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EnSabahNurX

SNES had the best games, NES had ok games and this game looks bad

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By chalkshark

This was the first video game I ever played to the end. I remember squaring off with the final boss, the Kingpin, & being called away to dinner before I could beat him. Why didn't my parents understand that I was trying to put an end to organized crime once & for all? Some things are more important than lasagna.

Juanmower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Juanmower
    @inferiorego:  Ha, the Picture in Picture would be awesome. I never got to play the NES punisher game, just wasn't as big of a Punisher fan back then. The Old XBOX one though, surprisingly fun and ridiculously violent, probably the best non-comic offering from that franchise ever. Still no Dolph Lundgren though, so it can only be so good. Why god? Where is justice?
    Juanmower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Juanmower
    @Tsakura: I just watched a vid of that gameboy one, looks about the same. It does have spiderman though. Too bad you're not there to kill him like you were initially meant to. Where's that game at?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @inferiorego:  i've been gone awhile. have you ever done a Ninja Turtles Arcade game or Robocop Vs Terminator segment like this. If not Catman  would love that, especially the former as I'm programming a dedication to that game.  As for Punisher NES...oy! But, back then anything by LJN was best avoided right after THQ. "
    Haven't done them yet. I'm gonna stick with NES games for a little while just to annoy myself.
    @Juanmower said:
    " @inferiorego:  Ha, the Picture in Picture would be awesome. I never got to play the NES punisher game, just wasn't as big of a Punisher fan back then. The Old XBOX one though, surprisingly fun and ridiculously violent, probably the best non-comic offering from that franchise ever. Still no Dolph Lundgren though, so it can only be so good. Why god? Where is justice? "

Consider your wish, which I completely altered to eventually happen.
    BK-77-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BK-77-7

Are you the Angry Nintendo Nerd...?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.