Best Punisher Writer?

#1 Posted by ThePieter (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

My answer used to be Garth Ennis but I read the Jason Aaron PunisherMax stuff a couple months ago and my opinion has changed.

What do you guys think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#2 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Garth Ennis, followed by Jason Aaron.

I guess Mike Baron and Steve Grant are noteworthy, but their respective runs don't even compare to the MAX stuff.

#3 Posted by ThePieter (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: Agreed. Ennis and Aaron are the definitive Punisher writers if you ask me.

#4 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've read so far, no one come's close to Garth Ennis.

#5 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

Garth Ennis, followed by Jason Aaron.

I guess Mike Baron and Steve Grant are noteworthy, but their respective runs don't even compare to the MAX stuff.

Honestly, I think I'd put Rucka over Aaron. There are reasons as to why I couldn't enjoy his run to the fullest.

#6 Posted by ComicStooge (22063 posts) - - Show Bio

1) Ennis

2) Rucka

3) Remender

4) Aaron

5) Grant

#7 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

You know I think I finally figured out where I stand on Jason Aaron's writing. If you look at volume 2 of Punisher MAX as an alternate timeline to what Garth had written, then it's a really good run with a fascinating twist at the end of it. However, if we look at it as a continuation of the MAX universe, then it just simply contradicts many of the developments Garth had made. Frank's drive was his love for his family, at least, in many ways. There had been multiple times when Frank had been infuriated even by the people who didn't appreciate their friends and family. In fact, right in the very first arc, Frank recalls an instance where he beat his neighbour on the brink death for abandoning his wife for another woman. Later on, when Punisher goes up against Barracuda for the second time, Frank contemplates on a dream where he grows old and chubby with his family. An idea which to him seems absolutely perfect.

In Aaron's run, it turns out that Frank was already long gone in Vietnam. He was about to divorce his wife right before she, along with her kids, was shot dead. This kind of ruins it for me, because this tragic death becomes and excuse for Castle to wage an endless war, which is something he had always wanted deep down. I guess one could argue that this does make some sense and it does add more depth to Frank's character, but it honestly ruins it for me. The way Garth had portrayed Frank in Born (and in pretty much all of his stories) was that his family were the last light keeping Frank away from the darkness. So when the Castle family were brutally murdered, Frank Castle had been consumed by the darkness, and the Punisher was born.

This is why I put both Garth first, and Rucka second. Rucka's Punisher may have been less gruesome and more soldier-esque personality wise, but the core element as to what gave birth to The Punisher remains the same.

#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (18922 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by ThePieter (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Max doesn't really have one solid continuity so you can see it as a soft reboot.

#10 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by ThePieter (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: But yeah it's really tough for me to choose between Ennis, Aaron and Rucka though more often than not I choose Aaron as my favorite.

#12 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

@theacidskull: I thought you didn't like the Punisher?

I did, at one point. Mostly because I though he was a one dimensional boring character, but given that a lot of people have the same assumption about Hulk, and in light of the fact that Frank will be appearing in Season Two of the Daredevil TV show, I thought I should give Punisher a chance.

I started with Garth Ennis's Max series, and then went ahead and read more and more about Punisher, and I discovered that he is a great and interesting character. In fact, he made it into my top 5.

#13 Posted by TonyChu (252 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd put Greg Rucka above Ennis. It's a shame that his run was too short. Aaron was good, but at times it looked like he was trying to channel Garth Ennis very hard.

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

I did, at one point. Mostly because I though he was a one dimensional boring character, but given that a lot of people have the same assumption about Hulk, and in light of the fact that Frank will be appearing in Season Two of the Daredevil TV show, I thought I should give Punisher a chance.

I started with Garth Ennis's Max series, and then went ahead and read more and more about Punisher, and I discovered that he is a great and interesting character. In fact, he made it into my top 5.

Interesting. I thought about reading all of the Punisher Max series a while back but never managed to find a muse to do it. I will probably do it soon but don't know when exactly.

Right now I really have a hard time choosing what to read next. :P

#16 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:
@theacidskull said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Interesting. I thought about reading all of the Punisher Max series a while back but never managed to find a muse to do it. I will probably do it soon but don't know when exactly.

Well, if you take my word for it, I found MAX to be absolutely fantastic. One of the best series I've read so far. Very dark, gritty, and surprisingly funny.

#17 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonychu said:

I'd put Greg Rucka above Ennis. It's a shame that his run was too short. Aaron was good, but at times it looked like he was trying to channel Garth Ennis very hard.

Interesting. How so, if you don't mind me asking? (Just curious)

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:
@theacidskull said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Well, if you take my word for it, I found MAX to be absolutely fantastic. One of the best series I've read so far. Very dark, gritty, and surprisingly funny.

I've been thinking about reading it, so I might try it out.

#19 Edited by TonyChu (252 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonychu said:

Two words: Kingpin, Elektra

#20 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonychu said:
@theacidskull said:
@tonychu said:

Two words: Kingpin, Elektra

I meant why'd you like Greg Rucka the best.

#21 Edited by TonyChu (252 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull:I felt he has much better balance between human side & the force of nature side of punisher than any other punisher writer (most would go for either of one) I've read. I also liked the ending very much, which could be as heroic as possible for someone like punisher.

Avatar image for frank_castle757
#22 Posted by Frank_Castle757 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Ennis

2. Grant

3. Dixon

4. Baron

5. Rucka

#23 Posted by kingnothing (4 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

So the consensus looks like Ennis takes it as the best writer, not unlike what I would hear from other forums. Can anybody offer thoughts on Jake Edmondson's Punisher: Black and White?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#24 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43900 posts) - - Show Bio

I have only read a single issue, 12, of Rucka's run, and I gotta say he's the best.

#25 Posted by theacidskull (22085 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingnothing: I liked it. It was very creative and interesting, though honestly Frank seemed a little too social as opposed to his usual appearances. He became less and less like an Average Joe by the end of it, but still, the fact that he needed motivation by someone else to stay as the Punisher kind of goes against the character IMO. To me what makes Frank stand out is his undeniable determination and will.

#26 Posted by daredevil21134 (15939 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've read so far, no one come's close to Garth Ennis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
#28 Posted by deactivated-5988def3424a7 (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

Garth Ennis is my favorite but Jason Aaron and Greg Rucka were also pretty great.

#29 Posted by stumpy49er (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

That's funny, I used to not like Punisher that much either, for the same reason. Then one day I saw a Punisher action figure, thought it looked really cool and bought it (I almost never buy action figures anymore). For some reason that got me wanting to read Punisher comics and so I started with Garth Ennis, because everyone said how great it was. I've read over a dozen Ennis Punisher trades the past few years and the way he writes Punisher is so good, it's put Punisher in my top 5 as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#30 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

Garth Ennis

#31 Posted by Darah (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Garth Ennis.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.