The Resurgence of Pulp in Comics

• 74 results
#51 Edited by DonFelipe (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article and feature of modern pulp comics. I really dig Creepy and DH's main anthology title DHP (of course DHP mostly isn't pulp). When it comes to Dynamite I usually like their cover art but can't seem to get into the stories (Shadow, Masks, Green Hornet, Miss Fury, and Black Bat) and don't appreciate the interior art either.

Black Beetle is pretty cool though, and I still have to try Dark Shadows, Spider, and maybe 2010's Doc Savage.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#52 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@donfelipe: Dov Savage is good, it has back ups with The Avenger and Justice Inc

#53 Posted by DonFelipe (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@donfelipe: Dov Savage is good, it has back ups with The Avenger and Justice Inc

2 pulp heroes in 1 comic. Thanks for the hint!

I still have to try Dark Shadows, Spider, and maybe mos def 2010's Doc Savage.

There!

Unfortunately, DC has yet to collect this ongoing in TPBs. What about Batman/Doc Savage Special & First Wave? Azzarello, Pulp, and the Bat-Man - it ought to be good and the reviews are quite good, too. I can't believe I never heard about all these titles before.

#54 Edited by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Well The art itself, the swashbucklerish sort of tone & overtly colourful villains is definitely pulp. There are dark moments that you could class as noir. Such as, the conflict between Matt & Foggie and the moleman story. As they had a rather particular dark melodrama to them. That one might infer as noirish. Or at least referential to his noir roots in Bendis's run at the very least.

#55 Edited by sat (2 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the greatest pulp authors, Robert E. Howard, is still in print and popular. His only CONAN novel has just started to be adapted to comics for Dark Horse by Tim Truman and artist Tomas Giorello. KING CONAN: HOUR OF THE DRAGON issue 1 is out today, and it's looking great!

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/3414.king-conan-hour-of-the-dragon-1-gerald-parel-cover/

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/22-191/King-Conan-Hour-of-the-Dragon-1-Gerald-Parel-cover

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/23-592/King-Conan-Hour-of-the-Dragon-1-Sanjulian-variant-cover

No Caption Provided

#56 Posted by cbishop (15663 posts) - - Show Bio

Really nice topic, Sara. Pulp characters are awesome. It's like there's an automatic expectation of shadowy villains and high adventure. Love that they're making a comeback, as long as they don't turn them all into Batman. I like Batman, but that's not what the pulp characters are, for the most part.

#57 Posted by pikahyper (18457 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

2 pulp heroes in 1 comic. Thanks for the hint!

@donfelipe said:
I still have to try Dark Shadows, Spider, and maybe mos def 2010's Doc Savage.

There!

Unfortunately, DC has yet to collect this ongoing in TPBs. What about Batman/Doc Savage Special & First Wave? Azzarello, Pulp, and the Bat-Man - it ought to be good and the reviews are quite good, too. I can't believe I never heard about all these titles before.

There is one Doc Savage collection from DC you should check out Showcase Presents: Doc Savage.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#58 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@hit_monkey: The art I'll give you but everything else isn't anymore pulp than any other Marvel superhero comic also Noir is a lot more than just a darker tone, it's about mystery and suspense, it's about backstabbing and double crossing, it's about murderers, femme fatales and gangsters, it's about a bad guy in a bad city doing bad things to get by.

Annnnyway we should prob ether wrap this up or move it to Official Daredevil Fans Against Waid Thread - Daredevil thread as it's kinda off topic LOL

#59 Edited by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

That is one tasty burger

#61 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article. My favorite pulp comic is the fantastic Sandman Mystery Theatre series.

HELL YEAH! That series was freaking awesome, one of my favorites as well! ;p

Strange though, while I like the idea of Pulp comics I have a hard time enjoying them. I've tried a few of them but Sandman Mystery Theatre and Wagner's/Waid's Green Hornet titles are the only ones I really managed to get into...

#62 Edited by K3vinkha0S (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article, love this resurgence of Pulp. My fav book at the moment is Five Ghosts, a great take on classic Pulp Adventure. Also Black Beetle. But no one trumps the kings of the current resurgence of the Pulp genre like Brubaker and Phillips do.

#63 Edited by GC8 (2900 posts) - - Show Bio

While I like the article, just have to say that pulp was a medium, not a genre it consisted of many different genres.

#64 Edited by lykopis (10845 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article!

It was great learning about this genre and really appreciate the information shared by the resulting discussion from other CVers. Added some titles to my list of things to try out - too bad this noir genre never grabbed hold of my attention before.

This article also reminded me of the fun we had coming up with pulp covers on @roxanne_starr's weekly thread! Awesome times for sure. :)

#65 Posted by spacechipAT (17 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Edited by Cavemold (1818 posts) - - Show Bio

I canr wait for the masks trade:)

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
#67 Edited by turoksonofstone (14913 posts) - - Show Bio

The actual history of Comic Books overall deserves more respect and attention IMO.

Doc Savage and Shadow never went away with appearances in comic book form in every era since the Golden Age not all of them well handled. Some great Shadow stuff has been done by DC/Dark Horse in the past though. Pulps are the source of Most Comic Book story concepts and have a complex history all their own.

I feel like Dark Horse has been experimenting with the Pulp Noir formula since the companies inception in a dozen different ways and Dynamite also mines it heavily.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
#68 Edited by turoksonofstone (14913 posts) - - Show Bio

Concerning epic Pulp creators Lovecraft influenced all Sci-Fi and Horror that followed him he is like the Nikola Tesla of Fiction and the Grandaddy of them all.

I recommend:

No Caption Provided

Most of the Pulp Characters in the Pulps and many of the Pulps themselves are in the Public Domain.

Dynamite has a core of various licensed characters who mostly are not Public Domain like The Shadow, Doc Savage, Green Hornet, Lone Ranger etc.

The Spider, Zorro and others are in the Public Domain though as long as Dynamite steers clear of attempting to take complete ownership of any properties that belong to the public at large I will continue to think what they are doing is awesome.

#69 Posted by Mucklefluga (2653 posts) - - Show Bio

I really need to check out MASKS, the limited series seemed like it would be so awesome with the characters and creators involved.

#70 Posted by detective38 (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: ha very true about DD although a mini series that came out not to long ago called Daredevil Noir that was a very good pulp take on the character. I read the shadow ongoing and shadow year one right now and they are some of the best books i get!

Avatar image for supermanjohnathankentjr
#73 Posted by SupermanJohnathanKentJr (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Garth Ennis' The Shadow good?

#74 Posted by CharlieJade (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@bob808 said:

I love all of the classic pulp characters.

they are very interesting reads

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
#75 Edited by G_Money_Christmas (902 posts) - - Show Bio

The only one that I can say that I read is The Green Hornet by Mark Waid. I thought about picking up The Shadow or Black Bat but I never did. Francesco Francavilla is probably in my Top 5 favorite artists, though. He's amazing, I love his work.

#76 Posted by DCWarFan73 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

The world of Lobster Johnson is classic pulp action goodness.

#77 Posted by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

Pulp was life, Pulp was love... No wonder why the brought them back...

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.