Follow

Betsy Braddock

Character » Betsy Braddock appears in 4601 issues.

British beauty Elizabeth Braddock is older twin sister of Captain Britain a mutant, former fashion model, and Charter Pilot. She is a long-standing member of the X-Men, Leader of Excalibur, and Founder of the reformed Captain Britain Corps, multi-versal alternate versions of herself.

Remender on Psylocke..... =(

mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mww1982

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29897 

Remender on X-Force, but I ahve a major bone to pick..... he says on Betsy's powerset "

Burgeoning Omega-level telepath and stealthy ninja. I see Betsy as having telepathic abilities akin to Jean Grey's prior to the Phoenix merger, with the ninja skills of a high Hand operative. That is it. " 

Umm no, Psylocke is an omega mutant with the ability to divide her powers between her TP and TK.  

Why does he hate Psylocke with teke...???

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

When did Psylocke become Omega level??

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "When did Psylocke become Omega level?? "

EXACTLY!!!!!!  That's what pissed me off.  And I hate her telekinesis, but that's an argument for a different time. 
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Thunderscream

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't make her an Omega for heaven's sake man! :(

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

It's like if you're around enough you get to be an Omega mutant. Next up Beast an Omega mutant with the power of agility and big hands and feet. Oy.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

Gawd... would it kill writers to stop fanboying over their favourite characters?  Or has Fraction set a new trend with his OTT crush on Cyclops?

Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

Is it a bad thing to make her an Omega? What's wrong with that?
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Ahmed Sherif said:
    "Is it a bad thing to make her an Omega? What's wrong with that? "

Jean Grey should be the only Omega level telepath. It means unlimited potential, something Xavier thought she could have while even he wasn't an Omega level telepath. And now they're saying not only is Emma Frost Omega but Psylocke is too. It's just too much.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thunderscream

it irks me that they keep doing this, then it turns into a Dragonball Z scenario where you think they've reached the highest level and then HamieKamiYa! they jump over that speed bump and then the next and the next until they're an Ultimate Mucho Mega-Omega El Grande Supreme the most powerful of all powered powers.......and oh so fattening

mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mww1982

Here's the thing, Betsy is now classified as an Omega, but not a telepath. She has like psychic fluidty. Not an omega tp or tk. Just has high levels of TP and some TK. Which is fine, as long as she doesn't do asinine things with it..... ahem*** claremont. She was best using it to enhance her fighting skills, it was unique. The same as she uniquely uses her TP.

In the other books Betsy will have teke, isn't it odd that her main book will ignore this?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " Gawd... would it kill writers to stop fanboying over their favourite characters?  Or has Fraction set a new trend with his OTT crush on Cyclops? "
    Bite your tongue and hope to god that's not the case. xP  

@mww1982 said:
    " Here's the thing, Betsy is now classified as an Omega, but not a telepath. She has like psychic fluidty. Not an omega tp or tk. Just has high levels of TP and some TK. Which is fine, as long as she doesn't do asinine things with it..... ahem*** claremont. She was best using it to enhance her fighting skills, it was unique. The same as she uniquely uses her TP.  In the other books Betsy will have teke, isn't it odd that her main book will ignore this? "
    Source?
    mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mww1982
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " Gawd... would it kill writers to stop fanboying over their favourite characters?  Or has Fraction set a new trend with his OTT crush on Cyclops? "
    Bite your tongue and hope to god that's not the case. xP  

@mww1982 said:
    " Here's the thing, Betsy is now classified as an Omega, but not a telepath. She has like psychic fluidty. Not an omega tp or tk. Just has high levels of TP and some TK. Which is fine, as long as she doesn't do asinine things with it..... ahem*** claremont. She was best using it to enhance her fighting skills, it was unique. The same as she uniquely uses her TP.  In the other books Betsy will have teke, isn't it odd that her main book will ignore this? "
    Source? "
    Remender has said it in several interviews. Before that Carey wrote it in Breaking Into Comics #2. A great story that explained how Psylocke gained teke, and regain tp........
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC

So she has unlimited potential at psychic fluidity? I don't get that. I thought of Omega mutants as having the potential to evolve beyond their physical body like Iceman or Jean Grey. I don't get how that would apply to just fluidity.
    THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

Psylocke....an Omega? Wow :-/....

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

How can she be an Omega, when she's not even working at full strength TP or TK?  Her powers are limited/reduced because she's working with both sets... something that Jean managed with relative ease as an adult. 

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By fesak  Moderator

No need to ask, it's the same as always when the term Omega is used.  A lazy way for the writer to say;
    OMG THIS GUY IZ KEWLL AND CNA BEAT ANYONE!!1 NAO INTERNET FANBOYS, START FANBOYING
     Also.. judging by some message boards it works.

Kweschun_Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kweschun_Mark

Psylocke isn't Omega level, just sounds like people talking about stuff they nothing about. I don't care if Remender says she is Omega or not. She isn't. Maybe her true mutant ability could be considered 'Psychic Fluidity' meaning she can tap into different spectrums of psychic energy. An explanation as to her ability to manipulate psychic energy into swords and knives, why she was precognitive, and other things. However, that isn't Omega status.  

Psylocke was a more interesting character when writers aren't busy giving her a powerset that feels unnatural to her. When she was brought back from Exiles, she was given both telepathy and telekinesis, but they weren't nearly as powerful as before. That's where they need to stay. 

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Belladonna

I think he was over exaggerating her psychic power levels. :/

mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mww1982
    @Kweschun_Mark:
    But Psylocke IS an OMEGA level mutant, it has been established several times and canon. 

He needs to use her Teke, period she has it and he cannot ignore it...
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xerox_kitty

She isn't even firing with full TP or TK.  She might have the potential to be an Omega (although I don't see how) just as Elixir has the potential, but isn't one yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

She hasn't displayed anything near Omega level telepathy in X-Force. I think Remender has done quite a nice job with her so far.
    THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

Just curious, and not that I invest too much in the "Omega level" title, but does anyone have a scan showing where it was stated that she is officially an omega level mutant?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mercy_
    @Jake Fury said:
    " She hasn't displayed anything near Omega level telepathy in X-Force. I think Remender has done quite a nice job with her so far. "
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @THUNDERBOLT30 said:
    " Just curious, and not that I invest too much in the "Omega level" title, but does anyone have a scan showing where it was stated that she is officially an omega level mutant? "
    I'd also like to see some conclusive proof.
    mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mww1982
    @xerox-kitty:
    Betsy said that to Scott and Emma, betsy is also using her TP to hide X-Force from Emma and the rest of the world. of course she is going to tell them that, it throws them off. She wants them to think she is a weak telepath.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mww1982 said:
    "@xerox-kitty: Betsy said that to Scott and Emma, betsy is also using her TP to hide X-Force from Emma and the rest of the world. of course she is going to tell them that, it throws them off. She wants them to think she is a weak telepath..... "

That doesn't make her Omega level. Fantomex used his misdirection to throw off Jean Grey and Charles Xavier. She hasn't shown any feats approaching Omega level in X-Force.
    mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mww1982
    @Jake Fury:
    I didn't say it proved it, I was saying why she would say such a thing. The only source is Remender and Fraction both saying she was Omega level in interviews. Time will tell what she does with it though.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mww1982 said:
    "@Jake Fury: I didn't say it proved it, I was saying why she would say such a thing. The only source is Remender and Fraction both saying she was Omega level in interviews. Time will tell what she does with it though..... "

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.  

I think Fraction thinks everyone is an Omega level mutant. As far as Remender he's done a nice job on X-Force but he's also been notorious for mangling characters in the past. *cough* Daken in Frankencastle *cough*
    mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mww1982
    @Jake Fury:
    Well he has already stated he will not be using her teke, which is ridiculious she has teke use it. you can't ignore a complete powerset that other writers are currently using. I am loving X-Force, but if he messes up Psylocke he's dead to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mww1982 said:
    "@Jake Fury: Well he has already stated he will not be using her teke, which is ridiculious she has teke use it. you can't ignore a complete powerset that other writers are currently using. I am loving X-Force, but if he messes up Psylocke he's dead to me. "

Writers can't seem to make up their minds with her can they? it always seems like she's either this supremely powerful telepath or telekinetic but never both.
    mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mww1982
    @Jake Fury:
    Tis true, I mayy forgive him because X-Force is amazing and his Betsy is the bets thus far....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mww1982:
    It's really good. I was skeptical at first but it's delivered.
    Kweschun_Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kweschun_Mark

Perhaps Remender is using her telepathy primarily because that's how he likes Psylocke. She was introduced as a telepath, and later gained telekinesis as we are all aware. We should see where it plays out, perhaps when she's in a pickle, she'll use her telekinesis, because she is working out her telepathy again. If I remember correctly her telepathy was shoddy when she came back from the Exiles, and she's probably been working on it. While she had all the time in the world in Exiles to flex her tk muscles.  

Although I'm probably just rationalizing at this point. 

mww1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mww1982
    @Kweschun_Mark:
    See I cannot see that bc he said she is a TP thats it. So he is not even acknowledging she has that powerset that other writers are using....
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lokheit

Burgeoning Omega-level telepath    

I think he is saying that she is a potential one, rather that an actual omega. And I wouldn't consider her as omega. Once time I saw a list of omegas at some important site, I can't remember where, that were really any powerfull mutant whos powers were completly under their control, so maybe they're saying that. 

But an Omega level mutant is supposed to be one of the most powerful characters in Marvel. I think she is inferior to Emma and Xavier in TP and since the realease of the mental block, an inferior TK than Hellion. None of this are omegas, so Betsy isn't supposed to be an omega. And it would ruin her character, she isn't the "look how powerful I am" type of character, there wouldn't be any point on being a ninja with an omega powerset. 

Keep her as she is now, with a litle of both and the ability to compensate the % of power she dedicates to each, and the ability to channel psychic energy into psychic or telekinetic blades and her ninja style, this is what make her unique. What I wonder if is Remender is saying that she will wield regular katanas instead of psychic blades EDIT: I just saw her with the x-force uniform wielding the psi-knife so no worries, I have to pick up this book, but in Spain we have a delay of 4 to 6 months or even more depending of the series and if they decide to sell it as single issues or as volumes.
    HandOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandOfGod

Truth be told I can see Psylocke as an Omega. 
    Iceman and Elixer are both confirmed Omega mutants, but you don't see them at ridiculously powered levels, but you know they have ridiculous potential, what stops them is their personality/persona, which causes their power levels to flip flop, same with Psylocke, truth be told same with Jean-- the paragon of the Omegas. She has the potential to surpass Xavier and Frost. 
    Lets look at the facts
    1. Back in the heyday of Psylocke British body days, her Psychoblast had actual physical impacts on the real world not just on the mental plane, with it she killed her alternate reality brother who was trying to rape her etc go look up her psycho-blast for images. 
    2. Psylocke has consistently been shown able to bypass psi-barriers and shields that other telepaths except Jean find impossible to overcome. For instance the famed psychic knife has affected both a helmeted/psi-shielded Juggernaut and Magneto on separate occasions. 
    3. After her resurrection Rachel Grey-also a confirmed Omega, states Betsy's TK and Psi-Shields are beyond and more powerful than anything she has seen.  Psylocke's response--"Not my fault." Of course in true Omega fashion Psylocke's psi-powers flip flop.
    4. Despite trading bodies, she still maintains her psychic abilites...yes I understand Spiral mixed genetics between the Asian and British bodies, but still the fact is Betsy's psi-form maintains itself and evolves. Kwannon was a basic human with some "empathic potential" whatever the F. that means.  Putting Betsy's X-gene(we infer we never really know the full background of what Spiral did) into Kwannon's body made her the Totality of her Psychic powers deus ex Psychic Knife/mountain smashing Teke Psi-ninja goodness?!  And during the sisterhood ark she flip flops between her two available bodies like it was nothing, after getting over the Red Queens magics and brainwashing on her own, something Emma couldn't do without a little help from an obscure Phoenixy red head we all miss.
    5. Emma and Xavier seem to be more skilled I will give them that, but Omegas like Rachel and Psylocke are more powerful. Emma psi powers don't manifest in the real world from what I remember. Psylocke can use the psychic knife as a flash light if she was so inclined.  Also examples of psionic mutants  who manifest their telepathy in the real world--the Greys...Jean, Nate, and Rachel, who oddly are also TP/TKs. 
    6.   Her psi-form can handle tremendous psychic energies--I.E when she "synched" her TK with Rachel's to block and redirect a Sh'iar spacecrafts energy beam back to them in orbit, while they were both on the ground, or when she funneled the combined psi-energies of her, Jean and Cable's TP, and redirected it as an attack into the Phalanx neural net, during the Phalanx covenant..  Also Shadowking  used her as the trigger and epicenter of a tremendous psi-bomb into the Astral plane, which disabled all TPs and psychics on Earth. We assume the  Crimson Dawn allowed her to survive that. But survive and then thrive she did, only to trap and neutralize the Shadowking in the end...something Xavier was never capable of or willing to do. 
     7. She seems to have some subconscious control over what psi powers she seems to manifest at the time-- a symptom of being an Omega mutant, from what I have seem of all the confirmed Omegas on the list cough cough Scarlet Witch, Nate Grey, Rachel Grey, Iceman, Elixir, Jean Grey. . .good lord Franklin RIchards...he is almost as bad as Betsy in terms of power sets or lack thereof.  

So there you have it,  seven facts to look at in terms of Psylocke's omega status. My theory is she subconsciously puts limiters on herself...1. She knows she is a little blood thirsty, and she doesn't want to put in the same trap  a la Jean's Dark Phoenix control issues. 2. She admits to being an action junkie. She likes the thrill of physical combat, and while she can disable  an enemy from a distance with her TP, she rather go for the karate chop, katana blade and jump kick.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iLLituracy

Wasn't it kind of said that Omega-level telepath and Omega-level mutant are two different things? I remember Emma being referred to as an Omega-level telepath and I'm SURE she's not an Omega-level mutant. 

I've always seen Omega as threat/assessment level when it comes to most stuff. I forget where, but even the Avengers have used Omega to label some of their villains.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mercy_
    @iLLituracy said:
    " Wasn't it kind of said that Omega-level telepath and Omega-level mutant are two different things? I remember Emma being referred to as an Omega-level telepath and I'm SURE she's not an Omega-level mutant.  I've always seen Omega as threat/assessment level when it comes to most stuff. I forget where, but even the Avengers have used Omega to label some of their villains. "
    -_____- That was Fraction. And Emma is not an Omega-Level mutant. 
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iLLituracy
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @iLLituracy said:
    " Wasn't it kind of said that Omega-level telepath and Omega-level mutant are two different things? I remember Emma being referred to as an Omega-level telepath and I'm SURE she's not an Omega-level mutant.  I've always seen Omega as threat/assessment level when it comes to most stuff. I forget where, but even the Avengers have used Omega to label some of their villains. "
    -_____- That was Fraction. And Emma is not an Omega-Level mutant.  "
    Yeah, I figured it was...I was iffy, though. I felt like it was in one of those unimportant X-Men Origins comics...but that was actually the whole Storm being an Omega thing. 

So, yeah, agreed.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lance Uppercut
    @Jake Fury said:
    " @mww1982 said:
    "@xerox-kitty: Betsy said that to Scott and Emma, betsy is also using her TP to hide X-Force from Emma and the rest of the world. of course she is going to tell them that, it throws them off. She wants them to think she is a weak telepath..... "
    That doesn't make her Omega level. Fantomex used his misdirection to throw off Jean Grey and Charles Xavier. She hasn't shown any feats approaching Omega level in X-Force. "
    Yeah, because he's incredibly skilled at creating illusions. It's not because of any massive psychic ability.  

@iLLituracy said:
    They'd have to be different based on the definition for Omega level mutant. 
    geminicomplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By geminicomplex

I always saw Betsy as unique in the sense that she wasn't ever as powerful as her comrades. When she was British Betts, her powers were displayed in a manner different from Jean's. When she became Asian Betts, her power levels were decreased and she didn't rely on them too much. The teke is still odd to me altogether, but when Claremont wrote it in X-Treme, it made sense. She used it in very broad ways and generally only to boost her own natural abilities.  

Omega she is not. I think its easier to say that psychics are Omega level mutants because their powers are based in their mind and not their physical body. This being said, its easier to relate living outside of your body in that sense. I do not think that Betsy quite has that down yet or that she's even proven that she will one day meet that requirement.

geminicomplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By geminicomplex

I always saw Betsy as unique in the sense that she wasn't ever as powerful as her comrades. When she was British Betts, her powers were displayed in a manner different from Jean's. When she became Asian Betts, her power levels were decreased and she didn't rely on them too much. The teke is still odd to me altogether, but when Claremont wrote it in X-Treme, it made sense. She used it in very broad ways and generally only to boost her own natural abilities.  

Omega she is not. I think its easier to say that psychics are Omega level mutants because their powers are based in their mind and not their physical body. This being said, its easier to relate living outside of your body in that sense. I do not think that Betsy quite has that down yet or that she's even proven that she will one day meet that requirement.    

thegeminidream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thegeminidream
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#44  Edited By thatlad

Omega means to be able to affect matter/reality on an extremely high level.  
    Emma Frost & Psylocke do not fit into this category. 

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @thatlad said:
    " Omega means to be able to affect matter/reality on an extremely high level.  Emma Frost & Psylocke do not fit into this category.  "
    but emma has more potential to be omega since i believe she once displayed TK(very minor) so over time her psychic abilities could advance to be like jean and her diamond form could always manifest a new ability like reform from shards or other abilities (basically diamondhead from ben 10)

But psylocke doesn't even have full power tp or tk but if she had full power I'd say she'd be just below omega
    The only way she'd be omega is if she manages to master her "psychic fluidity" which would mean she master the multiple psychic abilities shes possessed at different points and be able to use her tk and tp at jean's level
    I prefer her just being powerful but not omega, that tends to ruin characters like jean with her phoenix, Im sure if psyclocke becomes omega she'd become a phoenix host T___T
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Baddamdog

Phoenix and Psylocke...could be potentially awesome!

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By ragdollpurps

But the probability of it happening and being done well is slim. Remender may be able to pull it off but I fear that it could possibly lead to her dying again. She just got back, c'mon. I would rather her just keep doing what she's doing now for a while and stay a burgeoning omega or whatever the heck she is now. :P

walteion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By walteion

they make everyone a an omega level mutant these days. i thought omega means ultimate potantial ? but that's just remender fanboying. all the other writers r writing her with half telepathy & half telekinesis. and that's the best power set she ever had. remender didn't say she is not a telekinetic ,he just chose not to use her Tk for the sake of x-force's plotlines. but instead he devolped her TP to omaga levels. and he said she is an "omega level telepath" not an "omega level mutant". emma is an omega telepath but not an omega mutant! i say keep her power set unique & her psychis powers divided between telekinesis & telepathy just like the way she used them in her mini series & second coming.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Veitha

I can understand them considering Emma an Omega level telepath(she's got telepathic feats on a world scale and she's beaten a lot of stron telepaths) but I really can't understand why they made Psylocke an Omega: I mean, the best thing with Psylocke was the fact that she could switch between TP and TK and use them on a medium level, because she preferred fighting like a ninja, she was a telepathic ninja. Making her an omega telepath means that she can end a battle without fighting as a ninja but using only her powers. This was the thing that differentiated her from the others telepath(as the diamond form differentiates Emma and the Phoenix Force Jean)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.