Follow

Betsy Braddock

Character » Betsy Braddock appears in 4601 issues.

British beauty Elizabeth Braddock is older twin sister of Captain Britain a mutant, former fashion model, and Charter Pilot. She is a long-standing member of the X-Men, Leader of Excalibur, and Founder of the reformed Captain Britain Corps, multi-versal alternate versions of herself.

Miffed about the recent retcon

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderscream

I feel like the Psylocke being written in Uncanny X-Force is a completely different character than the one I've grown up reading. It's not just the cursing and crass attitude...

The recent retelling of the origin of her powers is totally out of whack. The mental manipulation of Doc Croc brought forth the emergence of her psi-powers which initially surfaced as precognitive flashes and later developed into full on telepathy. She wasn't just traipsing around New York as a model when all of the sudden she got migraines.

Anybody else have a problem with this or am I just anal?

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I feel like the Psylocke being written in Uncanny X-Force is a completely different character than the one I've grown up reading. It's not just the cursing and crass attitude...

The recent retelling of the origin of her powers is totally out of whack. The mental manipulation of Doc Croc brought forth the emergence of her psi-powers which initially surfaced as precognitive flashes and later developed into full on telepathy. She wasn't just traipsing around New York as a model when all of the sudden she got migraines.

Anybody else have a problem with this or am I just anal?

Not anal at all. I made a similar post on Psylocke like a Butterfly blogspot.

This is going to sound crass, but, This person in that AMAZING new costume is not "MY" Psylocke.

I cannot believe how Humphries screwed up Psylockes history so badly, and how the fans let him get away with it. She didn't manifest Telepathy until she around 25. She started off as a Pre-cog then got the Telepathy. She never once had an issue onscreen where she puked up her guts from her manifesting. She always had control over her powers.She was already working for STRIKE, when her Telepathy first booted up.

Charter Pilot> Modelling> College Graduate> Strike Psi-team member as a Precog, then Telepathy manifested> Model> Psionic Spy> Reluctant Captain Britain> X-man >Died( Roma Ressurection)> Cosmetically made asian (retconned into being two people)> Gaining/losing Shadow powers> Gaining TK/Losing TP> Killed again> Came back with Super TK> Went away again (I ignore this: See Exiles)> Came back with TP/TK > Joined X-force> became Omega> Then she somehow turned into a foul mouthed sailor, and angry all the time Bitch.. love the costume though.

Brian finished up his masters while serving as Captain Britain, all the Braddocks went to college. Psylocke joined the X-men as one of the oldest members, about 29 or 30. She was a late Bloomer into her powers, but With STRIKE and the RCX, and other Telepathic friends she learned her abilities well, they started weak and got stronger over time.

Come on People it's not hard to look up her actual history. Unless they are now purposefully trying to make her asian/Japanese from the start, which in my opinion, means they should bring back Revanche, and just start Psylocke over as a new character. With the way People change her really UNCOMPLICATED, back history she feels like a new character to me.

The Psylocke that went into the Siege Perilous has yet to return in my opinion, but her Eurasian clone is wearing a top notch costume though.

smeagollk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By smeagollk

characters tend to change.. although i don't see that big of change in psylocke... she's been through difficult stuff lately in vol.1 UXF and we don't know everything that happened to her in last 6 months, it could easily mess her up, making her more vicious and angry

i personally enjoy her quite a lot in new UXF and i see her change very in her character, i don't think people would react to her recent events differently if they were put in the same situations

and about her swearing - i guess marvel tends to set the atmosphere more rough than it could be, but lets be fair, uncanny x-force isn't really something i'd read to my child :) to be honest i've always pictured betsy as a swearing type of girl, i've met few british rich boarding-school absolvents and they certainly like to speak roughly than i'd expect from these "posh" types of people.. the more classy you should be, the bigger devil you're becoming :))

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

characters tend to change.. although i don't see that big of change in psylocke... she's been through difficult stuff lately in vol.1 UXF and we don't know everything that happened to her in last 6 months, it could easily mess her up, making her more vicious and angry

i personally enjoy her quite a lot in new UXF and i see her change very in her character, i don't think people would react to her recent events differently if they were put in the same situations

and about her swearing - i guess marvel tends to set the atmosphere more rough than it could be, but lets be fair, uncanny x-force isn't really something i'd read to my child :) to be honest i've always pictured betsy as a swearing type of girl, i've met few british rich boarding-school absolvents and they certainly like to speak roughly than i'd expect from these "posh" types of people.. the more classy you should be, the bigger devil you're becoming :))

Characters do change, as do all people. Psylockes biggest issue under certain writers is that, They think with her she NEEDS to do those things. She doesn't. NOBODY questions how tough Storm, Cyclops, or Kitty is. Yet they don't run around swearing like crazy. Having lived in England for several months on a RAF post near Brighton, I heard some language from both Upper and lower crust types. They were comfortable using it, but they weren't swearing every 2 seconds. We know most comic adventures take place in a short span of hours, rather than days. So her swearing in Uncanny X-men 213, vs UXF, one was a woman who royally screwed up, the other was a woman who just swore, cuz it seemd cool. im ok with swearing, I do it myself ALOT! But Humphries seems to have more excitement for Psylocke, rather than a good grasp of the woman.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smeagollk: I'm taking more of an issue with this new version of the emergence of her powers...I get that it might've been difficult to retell that story in a quick flashback, but it's so not even close to the truth

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy.

I need to catch up on this series.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@lykopis: Not really anything to catch up on... the team has done like... two things... in the span of four issues. Going to read the fifth right now.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: Not really anything to catch up on... the team has done like... two things... in the span of four issues. Going to read the fifth right now.

I'm putting it at the top of my list. Thanks. :)

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ragdollpurps: I just dropped it. I wanna hang in there for Betsy but the writing is just....I'm much more interested to follow her and the all female cast in X-Men.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ragdollpurps: I just dropped it. I wanna hang in there for Betsy but the writing is just....I'm much more interested to follow her and the all female cast in X-Men.

I did the same thing. I just can't take Humphries writing.. Im in until Alphona leaves the book, then im gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thunderscream: It took me three issues to realize that Humphries' writing is (as he would probably put it) f*ckingsh*t.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.