Follow

Betsy Braddock

Character » Betsy Braddock appears in 4601 issues.

British beauty Elizabeth Braddock is older twin sister of Captain Britain a mutant, former fashion model, and Charter Pilot. She is a long-standing member of the X-Men, Leader of Excalibur, and Founder of the reformed Captain Britain Corps, multi-versal alternate versions of herself.

Betsy is the only female who doesn't lie about her weight.

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skypilotbinky

I was reading her wiki today and I noticed that she's 5'11" which is the same as Storm (I'm a Storm fan). What always bugged me about Storm is that she's listed as being 127 lbs which is A) borderline anorexic for someone her height and B) bullshit for someone with her curves. Psylocke is listed as being 155 which at her height puts her smack dab in the middle of normal. I decided to do a little research today and I discovered that Kitty, Rogue, Jean and Jubilee are underweight or dangerously close. Perhaps the worst I found was Hope Summers who at 5'6" is a sickly 106 lbs. Normally I wouldn't care about meaningless statistics but what kind of message is this sending to girls who are reading these books? The only other normal weight I could find was surprisingly Emma Frost.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is why we read comics

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

HA!

That makes her more attractive in my eyes. I love a confident woman.

(+)

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

woohoo!

Yeah a lot of the girls are listed with anorexic weights, which is not true, considering their bodies

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How many look up the stats really? Isn't more how she looks in the books that are important. I remember some drawings by Rob Liefeld why the girls doesn't have a stomach however artist have never said they would nor should the draw realistic even though many readers think that they should. People should accept style and don't hate on it just because they don't like it. Like Morrison have said his style is like avant grade.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I dont mind style, because I tend to draw my females with the curves of a normal woman. I do dislike people like Land who tend to draw pretty boys with boobs. The women have ZERO curves under his pen. Some women may look like that, but not the majority. I do like that Psylocke was a healthier woman, and Storm would probably be heavier than her. But given that Psylockes pre body switch weight , and her post body mess. She would probably weigh MORE now due to muscle mass. Her old body was more feminine less athletic than Kwannons , before the merge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is fitting:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

That's kinda cool in a meta sort of way

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lykopis

Just shows the ignorance of those who compile the stats. Any female who reads about a 5'6 female character weighing 106lbs knows it's ridiculous, just like the size of breasts, miniscule waists and bubblelicious bums being contained by super-garments that defy physics.

They should fix it -- but then again, people don't really take stats seriously. Height, weight, etc -- it has fluxuated so much over the years, it doesn't matter. Not really unless it effects their powers/abilities.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I dont think you should put so much into stats like that, since its mostly guessing by the looks of it. And guessing done by writers, not the artists who only get notes of how different characters look in general. Like you've listed Storm and Betsy as being 5'11'' (180cm), but Storm is only 57kg and Betsy is 70kg. The difference could be explained by how Betsy is a ninja, and as such part of her power is using her body whereas Storm isn't, so there is that. But I agree the listed 57kg is far too little for a woman that looks like she does in most interpretations.

That said its hardly unique to Marvel, Geoff Johns has at the back of the first tpb of his TT run listed the following weighs and heights of the team:

Robin; height: 5' 5'' (165cm), weight: 56kg (now that's also wrong considering he is even more physical than Betsy since he doesn't have psionics to help him)

Wonder Girl: 5' 3'' (160cm), 52kg

Superboy: 5' 7'' (170cm), 65kg (his I can relate to since I am 5cm taller, but I weight 10kg more... and I am not as well built)

Kid Flash: 5' 2'' (157cm), 52kg

Raven: 5' 5'' (165cm), 50kg (a vegetarian sorceress)

Beast Boy: 5' 8'' (172cm), 68kg

Cyborg: 6'8'' (203cm), 201kg

Starfire: 6'4'' (193cm), 68kg (so she is much taller than Betsy/Storm, but her weight ratio isn't that much better, especially when looking at Bestboy that has the same weight)

Deathstroke: 6' 4'' (194cm), 99kg.

Most of these characters have a Body Mass Index that labels them as underweight (obviously not Cyborg :), which I believe most of us will disagree with considering how they look on page.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Darling_Luna

@lykopis said:

Just shows the ignorance of those who compile the stats. Any female who reads about a 5'6 female character weighing 106lbs knows it's ridiculous, just like the size of breasts, miniscule waists and bubblelicious bums being contained by super-garments that defy physics.

They should fix it -- but then again, people don't really take stats seriously. Height, weight, etc -- it has fluxuated so much over the years, it doesn't matter. Not really unless it effects their powers/abilities.

But bewbs and bums are goood ! hehe

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would think that Carol Danvers and Jessica Drew would weigh around 150lbs as Psylocke. Betsy is made from the Good Stuff, meaning that she's a 150lb killing machine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.