Name: Maxwell Cunningham
Nicknames/Alias: The Reality Sage, The Man of Infinite Universes, The Transcender, The Visionary, Sorcerer Supreme, Destructor of Destruction, Angel of Arcana
Weight: 130 lbs.
Hair Color: Black/Graying
Eye Color: Blue
Family: Alive and well, a mother and father.
Maxwell Cunningham does not hail from the CVnU. His entire lineage, as a matter of fact, takes place in a universe that has been called (by Maxwell) CV-63. This universe was quite similar to the actual CVnU, except for a few major differences- one of which, being the common use of magic. In Maxwell's universe, the arcane was discovered centuries ago by the great leader known as Odysseus, who used his divine enchantments to lead his troops to battle. Odysseus, in this realm, spent ten years after the Trojan War seeking out any sources of these magics, which at the time were believed to be divine blessings, and the Odyssey was written, the story of how Odysseus learned sorcery.
This story was passed on from generation to generation, and was actually used for educational purposes. Magic was what had given Achilles such godly abilities, what had given Rasputin rumored immortality. It created Stonehenge in the days of old, and was the driving force behind sending man to the moon. Everyone was a sorcerer in some regard...
Everyone except Maxwell.
By the age of 11, Maxwell had not shown any signs of arcane talent. This drove his parents to worry. Every child had shown this trait in early life. At first, they blamed it on the fact that he was simply a 'late bloomer'. But after blood testing, it was found out that the child didn't possess any genetic material that led to magical abilities at all- no mana in his bloodstream. This was the result of an extremely recessive trait, an entirely new, or rather, ancient, phenomenon. Maxwell's mother was okay with this, willing to accept their son's 'challenged' lifestyle.
But Maxwell's father would not have it. This was not only a disability for Maxwell- this was a curse, a mark against his family's honor. One night, while Maxwell's mother was out, his father took him down into the basement, where he had prepared several runes. With these runes, and a few words to activate them, these runes came to life- coming together to attach to Maxwell's body, infusing into his skin. Dozens, if not hundreds of runes were absorbed into the Cunningham's body. Enough magical power in one place, however, was not for the best. The energy was massive, greater than what was intended to be in one place at once, and a black hole was formed, a swirling vortex of mysticism that sucked Maxwell in.
The black hole sent Maxwell spiraling throughout the multiverse, drifting through nothingness for what seemed like an eternity- for in the multiverse, there is no concept of time. These runes burned off of Maxwell's body until an acceptable amount remained. Then, the multiverse retaliated at the anomaly in it's airspace, and the nearest universe sucked Maxwell in.
Now, Maxwell was a young man, tall and strong but with the mind of a child. Also, Maxwell was completely alone, in an entirely new universe. There was one major difference, however- magical runes, adorning Max's frame. These runes granted him magical abilities, and for several years, he researched these talents, seeing what he could use them for. One day, he discovered a way to actually leave his universe, by calling upon all of the rune's powers at once- recreating the original black hole that sent him out of the home universe.
Maxwell now travels the multiverse, seeking his old home once more- but at the same time, hoping to study all life forms that he possibly could, taking notes.
The Runes of Itarr
Over thirty different runes coat Maxwell's body, each with different purposes. Constantly, he adds more, as well, as he finds more in his search for magical power.
- Elemental Manipulation- a handful of runes deal in the elements. Specifically, fire, water, earth, and air. Maxwell has an almost complete control over all of these elements. These grant him certain abilities, as well, such as telekinesis, seismic control, flame creation, etc. Using the air, Max can move over 100 tons without too much effort. Combining the elements also works well, and is easily within Maxwell's comfort zone. The formation of heat, water, and air to create steam, for example, or a tornado made from flames. This is Maxwell's go-to ability in a fight, as he never finds himself too far away from the natural world.
- Energy Manipulation- Maxwell can alter most forms of actual energy, too. He can utilize this energy to his own will, making 'energy beams' and being able to fire blasts of energy from his hands. This energy is actually dark matter from the exterior of universes, and can be quite lethal- if Max wills it. This energy, however, is usually used for more practical reasons- such as forming an additional pair of hands, or shaping into a razor sharp scalpel. He can also absorb energy from the air around him, such as solar/nuclear power. This makes his body a living battery, albeit he can't store too much power for long.
- Spiritual Manipulation- Max can create, shape and manipulate his own or others' spiritual power, which is generated by every sentient being that possesses a soul, or in places with powerful spiritual influence. He can convert these souls into various forms of energy, manifest them into solid form, or merge into existing objects.
- Telepathy- He can read/sense another person's thoughts, communicate with them mentally and/or affect their minds/thoughts. Mind control is a common practice of Max's. While he is usually able to tap into someone's mind, tapping into the minds of multiple people proves to be slightly difficult. If he manages to make physical contact with the person, however, his powers are greatly amplified, as the Rune of the Mind is able to directly connect with the opponent's brain.
- Life Absorption- can create, shape and manipulate the essence of Life, the fundamental force that allows life to appear/exist, grow and flourish throughout the universe. He can control his own personal life-force that dwells within him, allowing him to achieve untold power and great abilities considered to be beyond that of normal beings. This power is used to increase his own age, and eventually, he believes that he can discover a way to unlock true immortality. Max is starting to acquire an understanding of this field that is so foreign, and by using this with his control over time, he has found that he is capable of healing the wounds of his allies. Most scrapes and bruises can be recovered within a minute- deeper gashes, several minutes. In several hours he can recover one's lost limbs, and if they had just recently passed away, he can spend a day of meditation and practice to save them.
The following abilities have been added either during or after Seeds of Fate, and thus are marked separately.
- Time Manipulation- While he hardly ever does, Maxwell can summon portals to travel forwards and backwards in time. The range of this is seemingly unlimited, but it takes a decent amount of concentration from the mage to do this, an amount of time that specifically correlates with how far forwards/backwards he goes. This also varies on the accuracy required for travel- for example, if he was to travel to an exact minute on a certain day, it would take a few minutes more than standard for him to create the portal necessary. A limit to the number of portals he can have open at one time has not been found, but keeping each one open takes some focus, so as a result he does not create too many- his limit being around three.
- Portals/Extra-Dimensional Connections- Maxwell's portals are incredibly common, and incredibly long-ranged. By focusing all of the runes in his body, he can summon a doorway to another universe. The accuracy of these portals, when opening to different universes, is largely untested, but the sorcerer is also capable of opening portals leading to anywhere in the universe that Maxwell currently resides in, if he is knowledgeable on the exact location.