Just so people know, I tried this procedure about a month ago to report the fact that forum links to JPGs with spaces or unusual characters in their titles weren't working, while in the past they had. This had made all kinds of link-based respect threads filled with dead links. The engineering team responded to me by email, we emailed back and forth a few times as I gave them examples of pages with that problem and gave more details, and they said they would work on it, although they could not give me a deadline.
Today they wrote back saying it had been fixed, and lo and behold as I check around, it does appear to be fixed. So: this new process does appear to work and even gets real results.