By Dr_Harlequin 12 Comments
Many people out there seem to be enjoying the game - with the exception of the poor PC master race (God bless their souls) - But there are also some that are not so happy. Allow me to pour my heart out here - this will mostly be in my opinion, so keep that in mind (AND SPOILERS):
This game is a MESS- there is so much false or misleading advertising with this game it is ridiculous. Let me list some examples as well as some other grievances:
1. They lied about the Arkham Knights character being new when their fans had already guessed who it was. They even said chief creative officer: Geoff Johns was working on the character - almost strengthening their assurance that it was a new character.
2. They lied about challenge maps being bigger and badder than ever, then gave us those watered down AR challenges
3. They said the Joker was 'dead dead dead,' but really he just lost his body. He has the most lines in this game than ever before.
4. They continued to show in-game screenshots and clips in trailers that were missing in the game. They even said they held nothing back from the game.
5. NVIDIA lied about their PC port where only 12 people were doing the port - and most likely under a strict deadline
6. NVIDIA lied about Batman running on 60 fps via GAMEWORKS by using PC footage that lagged so bad that they needed to speed it up by 2x to makes it look normal, as well as falsify the claim of it running at true 60 fps and in engine.
7. They hyped up pre-order DLC for a year straight that wasn't even made by Rocksteady and was barely 10-15 minutes long. It took me longer to download it then to beat it. The pre-order description on Amazon said there would be challenge maps for Harley's DLC. There were none.
8. The game was described to have all the villains return and team up to kill Batman. Majority of them were repetitive side missions with barely any significant story for the main plot.
9. The bat-mobile is forced upon you majority of the game to fight hordes of drones. It gets really ridiculous where you need to use it for every little thing such as riddles or supplying power to a building.
10. The story itself had barely any definite ending for the 'finale' of the franchise
11. Boss fights were drones or one button take-downs, or just completely uninspired thugs with a health bar.
12. They said Arkham Knight could take Batman H2H, yet no boss fight in H2H. Only in another TANK fight can you defeat him.
13. Absurdly overpriced DLC season pass. I admit I don't know the content in the package so this point falls flat. But they still have set a new precedent of a huge price for this pass for a single player game.
14. Leaderboards were broken for a week after launch.
15. Announcing the limited and collecter's edition were not ready to be sent out only a WEEK or so before launch.
Unbelievable how much faults can be attributed to a single game and their greedy publisher. And I'm sure I may be forgetting one or two.
I also want to talk about how this game doesn't even hold a candle to the love and creativity and care that it's predecessors had. Look at the Hush mission. It was a 3 minute sequence where all you had to do was press triangle/Y and you take him down. An absolute letdown when acknowledging the mean game he talked up in Arkham City. How about good ol' Two Face? Yup same thing, do 4 repetitive side-missions and take him out like a regular thug. Penguin y'say? Clear the room - arm the explosive - rinse and repeat until you get the option to press the take-down button on him. Man Bat? Just fly into him and you're done. DEATHSTROKE? Another repetitive TANK fight? THE F-ING ARKAHM KNIGHTTH? TWO DAMNED TANK/BAT-MOBILE FIGHTS...and a tag-your-it fight. Then not even a single fight for Scarecrow...Good game Rocksteady
And this one I'm also really pissed about - my fan favorite character: Harley.
She gets hyped up for a pre-order DLC for a year, that I was expecting to have some sort of decent story and length. What I got was a 10-15 minute mission of her take down cops in a measly four rooms with a lazy mechanic that lets you KO them with the press of a button. Only 3 measly gadgets to use. No option for stealth. Barely any character interaction with Ivy. No explanation on how she can beat Nightwing and half a dozen cops on her own, and at the same time. Nothing. They couldn't be bothered to give decent animation on her face - she looks utterly lifeless. Even Nightwing's intro and outro animation looked stiff - like a character from a Mortal Kombat game.
Then I had to wait until the 60% mark for her to appear in the story. I was smiling like an idiot when I thought she was going to have a meaningful role in this game. She did nothing. She tried has the most incentive, arguable, of all the villains to want Batman dead. And it is heartbreaking what little role she had in this game. She took out NIGHTWING, but couldn't be given the respect of a boss fight. Just another classic press Y/triangle for take-down. What's even more insulting is that she saw that Joker was in Batman - and that Batman was the last living Joker. I was so interested to see what she would have done - after wanting to kill him so bad (which she didn't even SEEM to, like this was before Arkham City when the Joker died) but couldn't because he was the last Joker. Instead I get a wasted opportunity, and Harley gets locked up in that cell the rest of the game. The End.
Don't get me wrong this game is probably the best Batman simulator we have. The tone is there, the aesthetic is there. The ton of easter eggs are there. But it's just not good enough. I'm sorry but I think this is the worst Batman game they gave us - even Origins was better than this, glitches aside. This was even supposed to be a finale - yet there is nothing definitive of the ending for any character here. It is upsetting really. I haven't touched the game in about 2 days, which is sad considering this was my most anticipated game for like two years.
Please if you agree with my post - Do your best to support with the cause and avoid letting greedy companies like this take your money - especially for incoming DLC - and wait for the GOTY at least.
I'm done with my rant, thanks for reading if you made it this far. Please tell me what your opinion is of this game.