By blkson 67 Comments
So at C2E2 2013 this question,
"will Cyborg get his own series?"
was asked by a fan, in which some one on the DC panel replied with something along the lines of
"would you guys like to see that?"
not to many people where thrilled.
I saw this on a live stream over at newsarama (x)
This isn't any indication, nor does it solidify, that there will not be a Cyborg solo series but, the fact that the crowd was even asked if they would like to see a cyborg series in the first place, makes me wonder if DC ever had any plans of giving him a solo series to begin with. I'm probably reading to much into this, but this just reassures what many already know. Which is, Cyborg being a founding member of the JL was nothing more than a diversity trope. There is literally no other reason for him being there. DC may indeed have something planned for Cy but I'm trying to figure out, just what the hell are they exactly waiting on to initiate it? As someone has already pointed out and vented their frustration, Justice League 18 solicits were extremely misleading. Yea, yea I know solicits lie all the time however, when there are expectations for character development of a character that doesn't have any being solicited to actually do something, to "take center stage", misleading ass solicits infuriate the hell out of me.
Anyways here's a list of a few things about new52 Cyborg that bothers me
- His character design. I've seen posts about this in the forums before. His costume/design is just horrible. Look at the new52 Cyborg Superman compared to Cyborg. I believe there was a post talking about the racial aspect of his character design (something about Cy's design being a poor representation for Blacks). Vic's ugly ass character design combine with the fact that he's the only non white guy on the team dose standout. Seeing as, he's on a team of super powered white people who look like they could model Emporio Armani suits at any moment while hes this huge clunky ass monstrous Frankenstein-esque hero. He's too big, bulky, and ugly. You mean to tell me that he has nano tech that can turn his body into a platform/hoverboard for the Justice League but he can't make him self slimmer? All of that technology and he hasn't developed tech that can create a hologram to make him look more human (like he did in the Teen Titans cartoon)?
- Speaking of the Justice League, as we all know, Cyborg's the only founding member without a solo.
- Cyborg has/gets the least amount of attention/action in the JL books.
- He does absolutely nothing but sit in the watchtower and has no life whats so ever. Which makes no sense to me since he was a local famed athlete. Which could have meant (and probably does mean) that he was really popular around the city, the locals knew him, and he was probably praised. Seeing as he has no secret identity, it makes no sense that he would just sit in the watch tower. Unless, he is ashamed of what he has become (which seems to be true) and if so, why not explore that more often?
- Vibe has just as much, if not more, character development in the new52 as Cy does and there's only been 3 issues of that book so far. Shazam's back up stories gave more development about Billy than the entire JL series has about Victor.
- Batman says "jump" Cyborg says "How high boss?" This only some what bothers me (which is why its last). Cyborg jumps to every order batman gives. I know I'm not the only one who notices this? Truthfully, Batman and Cy's relationship could develop into something interesting, you know, with the whole "Trinity War" thing about to go down. Cy will probably side with Batman. Also, tying Cyborg closer to such a stellar character like Bruce is actually pretty smart on DC's behalf. It kinda forces the readers to want to know why does Bruce care so much about him. What bothers me is, Batman is so damn demanding. I know that's part of his character but anything he tells Cyborg to do, Cy does it --no questions asked. Batman doesn't really give orders to anyone else on the League except Cy. I would pull up panels but nah. ain't no body got time for that.